• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just ordered a MAS Systems arcade stick for PS2/Xbox

Hellraizah

Any one of you have one of those ?

Ordering is a little pain, but guys at Shoryuken forums said that these sticks are light years better than the X-Arcades. I'd like to hear comments about these products while I'm waiting to receive it.

I would definitely have one if I played alot of fighters on consoles.

I havne't tried it but the parts are the same ones they use in the arcade.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I've known Tao for 10 years and he's a great guy. I've had my sticks for over 5 years and they still work great. Does excellent custom mod work too.

MAS beats the living shit out of X-Arcade. I've had both, no contest.

However, his PC ready sticks are God awful shit. If you want to play on the PC, make sure to get a PS2 stick and use an adaptor.

What kind of stick do get with it? I tried the perfect 360, but hated it. Found it very unresponsive, but I can't tell if that was because of the PC board inside the MAS stick. Competiton stick is the best I've ever used. Awesome, awesome stick.

Good buy on the MAS stick. Excellent quality, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I own a MAS stick and am happy with it. Friend owns a modified X-arcade. I think he replaced the stick and the buttons. Feels a lot like the MAS stick to me, but I don't own it (modified X-arcade).

For consoles, yes it is better than the X-Arcade. I wouldn't say light years, I'd think apples and oranges... er, don't get me started.

You made the right choice with thje P360, hope you have a strong wrist.

seismologist said:
I'm gonna make my own for the PC. You only need 3 parts. Joystick + buttons + keyboard encoder.

You'd do well to try and finagle a PCB off of a Hanaho, Slikstik, or X-Arcade. These PCBs are already recognized and supported by the major emulators. I highly recommend using the X-Arcade as a PCB, because it is so easy to work with. I made a full PCB map if anybody ever needs it.

I suppose you could mimic the default keyboard settings on any one of these PCBs, the PCBs like the X-Arcade do have quick memory slots for saving alternate configurations, it come sin handy.

Hellraizah

ArcadeStickMonk said:
For consoles, yes it is better than the X-Arcade. I wouldn't say light years, I'd think apples and oranges... er, don't get me started.

I'd like to know what you have to say about this.

The oranges? Real short version: The X-Arcade gains some slight input lag through its console adaptors. Why pay to not be able to parry in SF3rd? The X is still a great desktop PC stick.

The wrist? The P360 has a very firm spring, if you didn't know. Many find it off putting at first, but it is great.

Hellraizah

Ok, so basically, the X-Arcade is great for PC, and the MAS Stick for consoles.

I'm not gonna do any PC gaming with it, so I guess I'm better off with the MAS. I had a little fear about the 360 joystick as I've read on the shoryuken forums than a bunch of them had defectuosities making contact difficult when pushing diagonals. I noted that (to be sure it's not one of the faulty joysticks) when I ordered. I spoke to a girl on the phone and she was very friendly, I guess it's a home business or something. I called because I wasn't sure the website was still working, it says that it last updated in 2001 on the front page. Makes you wonder if you can still order.

Oh those crazy MAS!!!

My P360 came in the thick of all that "defective" mess, but it worked just fine. happ has assured the community that it was a calibration error or something and that the machines had been fixed.

I think many people are too used to a loose spring and don't give themselves time to adapt tothe P360. You can still botch a hadoken if you get lazy.

aerofx

Nah I wouldn't say light years. I've played with them both and the MAS is marginally better.. I'd get the cheaper one and be happy unless you're really anal about arcade perfection.

ArcadeStickMonk said:

You'd do well to try and finagle a PCB off of a Hanaho, Slikstik, or X-Arcade. These PCBs are already recognized and supported by the major emulators. I highly recommend using the X-Arcade as a PCB, because it is so easy to work with. I made a full PCB map if anybody ever needs it.

I suppose you could mimic the default keyboard settings on any one of these PCBs, the PCBs like the X-Arcade do have quick memory slots for saving alternate configurations, it come sin handy.

I don't know about Andy's (ultimarc) other products, but the Mini-Pac has all the wires pre-labeled. Assuming you follow these directions, the buttons are gonna automatically be mapped to the MAME defaults. And if you're lazy and don't, 30 seconds in the MAME universal button configuration will permanently default whichever way you did hook them up.

Edit: And the same with any emulator. I'm not familiar with any emulator that doesn't let you map whichever keyboard keys you want.

ravingloon said:
Assuming you follow these directions, the buttons are gonna automatically be mapped to the MAME defaults. And if you're lazy and don't, 30 seconds in the MAME universal button configuration will permanently default whichever way you did hook them up.

That's Mame, what about the other emu defaults?

That's configuring every time you get a new Mame

That doesn't sound like you can easily reconfig the hardware itllef, as a last resort

Do it by yourself, more power to you, but you could get some nice benefits.

Going into an emulator and saying up arrow is up, down arrow is down, etc, isn't a great hardship for me. These things save and can be done in literally seconds.

seismologist said:
Are the mas sticks any more sturdy than the X-Arcade?

I might just get a mas for my PC and replace parts as necessary.

Except for one un-secured serial port, the X-Arcade is sturdier than the MAS. But it is close. Maybe it is more accurate to say that the paint and trim will damage easier on the MAS, even if the wood will not.

If you are talking about the durabilty of the joystick itself, remember that X-Gaming uses china made clones and MAS uses genuine Happ parts. You can't hurt a Happ P360.

BTW, you'd find an X-Arcade a lot easier to replace parts in than a MAS, but neither is hard. The X uses disconnects while the MAS is all solder.

You don't want a MAS PC stick. It straight drops input. It drops input like you wouldn't believe. Not lagged input, actually ignored. Also, the on-stick programming is atrocious.

For a desktop PC stick, you can't beat the X-Arcade solo for an off-the-shelf PC stick. The SlikStiks are made much better, but are a bit larger and have more sticks and spinners than you may want in the way to KOF; not to mention price.

The X is easy to program on-stick, and all the major PC arcade sticks (X-Arcade, SlikStik, Hotrod) already have auto-config schemes running in the major emulators.

If you can only buy one stick, and need both console and PC: get a MAS PS2 stick. It's sad that it works better on the PC running through an adaptor than astandalone cable, but those are my findings.

Hellraizah

Ok, now, I got the MAS stick. I love how it's built, but the "pausing" problem with the Xbox adapter (it randomly pauses the game saying that the controller is disconnected) is driving me crazy.

I called Thao tonight, and he said that he wasn't aware of the pausing problem and that only a few customers reported that. When I visit a board where people talk about that problem, they all mention the connection drop. My guess is that it's the PS2 to Xbox converter. He said to send the adapter back to get another one, but I don't think it's broken. I think the adapter model is just shitty and/or doesn't work very well with the stick.

I tried the Dreambox adapter, and it doesn't work. I tried the Magic Box adapter, and it doesn't work either. Does someone know about an adapter that works with the joystick and that could put a stop to that random pausing problem ?

It's really frustrating.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
It sounds like you do have a bad adaptor. I have a MAS stick with the PS2 -> Xbox adaptor that comes with it and never had a problem with any pausing.

Hellraizah

Eggo said:
It sounds like you do have a bad adaptor. I have a MAS stick with the PS2 -> Xbox adaptor that comes with it and never had a problem with any pausing.
Have you played DOA3 or Metal Slug 3 with it ?

Maybe some games doesn't pause when the split second connection lost occurs.

Edit : Or maybe the problem is with the compatibility between the P360 joystick and the PS2 -> Xbox adapter.

I have played Metal Slug 3 with mine, which has a P360. And I do remember the pause screen coming up, but it did not happen very often. Really, sometimes it would happen twice in an hour and most of the time it never happened at all.

I agree that the likely culprit, and the easiest thing to check, is the adaptor itself. It's a pain, I know, but send it back for a new one. They should refund your shipping too.

Also, I'm nearly positive that there is no other adaptor that will work with the MAS, at least a mixed PCB MAS. They designed it that way.

What forum were you discussing in? Shoryuken Hardware?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
A small question:

How does the MAS stick handle L3, R3, or when the XBox sticks are pushed in? I ask because I'd like to buy one for use with my modded XBox but, as a lot of the emulators utilize analog button clicks, I want to make sure it will work.

Minotauro said:
How does the MAS stick handle L3, R3, or when the XBox sticks are pushed in? I ask because I'd like to buy one for use with my modded XBox but, as a lot of the emulators utilize analog button clicks, I want to make sure it will work.

Totally digital, it's either on or off, and the stick presses aren't supported at all.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Totally digital, it's either on or off, and the stick presses aren't supported at all.

Hm, that kinda sucks. Thanks for the information, nonetheless.

Ryu

So you ordered this from one of the guys on the srk forums? Or did you order this from some legit site who mass manufactures them?

He mentioned Thao, who is MAS System's head builder.

They are legitimate custom stick builder, which is not meant in any way to detract from what Snaaake, Tha Darkside, Dreaded Fist, or Armad1llo offer over at Shoryuken.

They do however manufacture their own boxes and PCBs

I have a question Monk: Why do you prefer this site over Build Your Own Arcade? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you seem to completely ignore BYOA and I'd like to know why you feel this site is better?

Ryu

Well, I'd just prefer an order page and some options to see what kind of stick can be put together for me. I didn't really see any links to that type of thing. I mean, I'd like to see sites with more possibilities for the picture that goes on the actual stick (under the buttons and joystick itself), and many more examples of completed possibilities and options for completion. Or maybe even a return policy if its somehow DOA. It is over 100 dollars for a controller that will, for me, be only used with 2D fighting games which are already rare as it is...

ravingloon said:
I have a question Monk: Why do you prefer this site over Build Your Own Arcade? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you seem to completely ignore BYOA and I'd like to know why you feel this site is better?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Why I prefer Gaming Age or MAS? Gaming Age is the only forum I have time for at the moment, and I enjoy being able to help out others that are interested. This started out as a MAS thread so I've stuck to that. If you're asking if I prefer MAS over a home built stick, the answer is no, of course, assuming the stick was quality built. Not everybody wants to build their own controller, and I certainly didn't when I was starting out, so MAS is a very viable choice for the fighting enthusiast.

If I've ignored BYOA it's because the more detailed information contained there hasn't been yet pertainent to discussion. I don't see them selling their own stuff, just acting as a guide.

I hope that answers your question.

Ryu said:
I'd like to see sites with more possibilities for the picture that goes on the actual stick (under the buttons and joystick itself), and many more examples of completed possibilities and options for completion.

If you are interested, I could post the pics of the MAS I had built for Street Fighter and pics of a Red Octane box I modded a little for Soul Calibur. I got nice close ups and inside shots. Doesn't give you a great overview, but it might be a start.

Ryu

I know this more of a "YMMV" question, but would you say, with a stick, players skill improves over using a controller? I've used a PS pad for the past six or seven years when it comes to playing Street Fighter games and I am wondering if the adjustment from controller to MAS stick would be worth it. I tried the x-arcade and switched out the buttons for it when I bought it for CvsS2 for XBL, but I hear there was considerable input lag with that stick and console games through the adapters which is why my experience with it wasn't exactly the best. However, I hear the new MAS sticks and the ones being costum built on SRK are really the way to go as their both responsive and well put together. This is particularly why I'm interested.

My older brother and I went to the Nissan factory in Mississippi today and tooled around in his little Sentra Spec-V. The purpose was to teach me how to drive a manual transmission, because I don't know how to drive stick (ironic overtones). Just letting the clutch out to first gear proved frustratingly difficult for me to do, because I couldn't control my feet in tandem well enough to keep the torque up. Using the manual transmission made something I've been doing for close to a decade difficult for me, but I understood that if I were to ever drive any of the sports cars I've been reading about I their intended manner, I need to know how to drive stick, do it like the big boys do.

Switching from the pad to a stick is going to drop your game, possibly big time. Swinging the stick around proves to be such a foriegn practice to most people. Be prepared to whiff hadokens and let's just forget about supers for a little while.

So what do you get? The same thing I got when I switched, the very reason in fact. When you visit an arcade, you will be in your element. The practice at home (which looks to be the main venue with dwindling arcades in the face of online play) will translate directly to arcade and tournement play, should you go for that. I know several people who are outstanding at Soul Calibur and Tekken and even some SF if a Dual Shock is in their hands, but I watch them fumble and lose and hurt their wrist in the arcade.

Also consider the original format of these fighting games that you and I respect so much. They were origianlly based in the arcades, each using a button layout unique to their series. You said you were playing SF with a Dual Shock? How did you map those six buttons? Did it make sense to play a six button fighter with a four button face? Street Fighter, more than any other fighting game, demands an arcade stick, almost solely for the six button face. You can hit more buttons faster and in more complex strings using your whole hand.

Yes, I sincerly believe that learning to play stick is essential for any fighting fan. Yes, you are going to go through a learning period. You say you've some X-Arcade experience under your belt, all the better. Yes it will be worth it. Nobody makes it to Evo using a pad, and even if they somehow did, they'd be shit-out-of-luck, cuz last I checked it was all sticks.

I'm not certain what you mean by "new" MAS sticks, if they went through an upgrade I was unaware, but I would put those on about the same level as those on SRK, and below the very best on SRK. Those guys really know what they are doing, and they are whom I learned from, if only passively, when I decided to get serious.

Consider that the only real advantage MAS has over them is establishment, as it feels better to pay to a business rather than paypal. MAS does have more console options, but considering that nearly everybody that wants a stick wants DC, PS2, or XBOX, MAS offering N64 hardly matters.

Lots of us have MAS sticks now, and I certainly love mine, but if you told me you had a stick from Armad1llo, maybe with a top mounted Sanwa in it, that would really be unique. Don't flood him with requests now, last I heard his backlog was already too big.

I almost ordered from some of those guys myself, and I certainly inquired, but I decided to get one really good Street Fighter stick from MAS and then build or at least mod every one after myself.

Say you modded you X-Arcade, eh? Good for you; ain't hard but I'm still proud of you. Don't count the X out BTW, and don't be petrified by input lag either. Sure its presence is a fundamental failure, but I doubt you'll notcie it with most 3D fighters. I still insist that the X-Arcade solo is the best off the shelf stick for emulation play, besting the Slikstik with simplicity and price.

Hope that was worth reading.

Ryu said:
I'd like to see sites with more possibilities for the picture that goes on the actual stick (under the buttons and joystick itself)

Ok, I totally read this wrong before.

Here's two shots of my MAS, mainly presented to display the button label graphics which, even though un-authentic, I still can't get over.
MAS_-_01_-_Postable.JPG
MAS_-_02_-_Postable.JPG

Adding artwork really requires a personal touch; you wouldn't want some guy throwing art on your stick and not caring how it worked with the button layout. I see so many pics of stick shafts and buttons sticking right through what would have been good artwork, like this:
2257296.JPG

The best custom work I've seen has been done by Tha Darkside over at SRK. He really goes the exta mile. Mounts J-sticks too, mainly in Red Octane boxes. Here's some of my favs.
Tha_Darkside_RO_Mod_1.jpg
Tha_Darkside_RO_Mod_3.jpg
Tha_Darkside_RO_Mod_2.jpg

Now, I remember a while back, some builders on SRK were sadly denying custom artwork to their clients anymore because it frequently violated copyrights, what with all the SNK and Capcom characters. They still gave details instructions on how to create and add the artwork though, mainly involving a trip to Kinko's.

The moral of the story: Good artwork is best left to the user, unless it's so abstract that no copyrights can be infringed. Work out a plan before you order or build, and then add the artwork yourself. This way you're assurred that you'll get want you want without a damn button blocking the good stuff.

Takuan

God damn those custom sticks are sexy. If I had the cash, I'd pay someone a hell of a lot to do that for me.

Sticks like those can be ordered from the guys in the Shoryuken Hardware forums. Those last three were done by Tha Darkside. I haven't visited them in a while, so I don't know what their ordering situation is now, after Evo: who's taking orders anymore. Expect 60 to $100 depending on the hardware and around a month for delivery.

Ravingloon: That's nice MAME cab you've built there. I don't understand the button layout on the 2P side, or even why it's asymetrical. What did you design that 2P side for?

The diamond buttons are for Vanguard. The bottom 4 buttons are for Defender and the 5th button is for StarGate (Defender sequel). The buttons are asymetrical because that's the side I usually use for 1 player and it contures to the shape of my hand. I'm not a huge fighter fan and no one I know is a fighter master, so that's not really a huge issue. I can lay my palm down and hit combos just as well on the right side as I can the left (But I'm not claiming to be a fighter god.) And the sticks are Ultimarc T-Stick Plus (Just pull up and twist and you enter mechanical 4 four mode). So this controller was definetly prioritized for old-school.

It's rare to see anyone build a stick with one game in mind, let alone have that one game not be a fighter. I can really appreciate that button arrangement now. Also, I like how you thought ahead about the four way play, and picked a stick tailored to the easiest switch possible.

That's the kind of specific planning and construction I like to see. Very impressive.

Top Bottom