• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox introduces new strike system to curtail bad behavior

Imagine paying MS to have your speech restricted.

So about 10 people possibly could of seen it out of billions of gamers.
Hey, I am a free speech absolutist, however, I also don't think kids should be exposed to certain types of hostile stuff. One of things is the way some guys talk.
My kid has every right to play Fortnite without getting called a host of four letter words.

Now maybe there is room to have certain rooms that only kids can use, and certain rooms where adults who don't give a fuck about calling, and getting called, certain names, and love the use of swear words (I'm an Australian, no one uses foul language like us, we are the masters).

Here is the big reason MS and Sony etc do this. They want as many people playing their games as they can get. They certainly don't want to miss out on money because someone called someone else a racial slur, or called them a fag. Bottom line.
And while I am a free speech absolutist, at the end of the day, it's their servers, so it's their rules.

Last edited:
Loving reading the posts from users complaining about the strike system while they post screenshots with vile shit in with remarks like ‘IDK why this got reported’.

People are so detached from what a normal conversation looks like that they think insulting people, swearing, making rape jokes etc is fine.

Free speech is fine, but there are consequences for specific types of speech.

I won’t pretend to be a big online MP guy, as they typically aren’t my favourite genre, but when I have played I’ve never felt the urge to talk smack, insult someone or swear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom