• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just saw Boogeyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The commercials make it look like total crap. It's almost like they're trying way too hard with the little girls singing in the background...puhlease.

Celicar

Banned
MIMIC said:
DeNiro is Charlie

That was pretty obvious from the new commercial where it touts Hide and Seek as the number one movie in the country. Fuckin predictable.

MIMIC

Banned
Celicar said:
That was pretty obvious from the new commercial where it touts Hide and Seek as the number one movie in the country. Fuckin predictable.

Yeah...and the commercial, ironically, says, "Don't let anyone tell you the secret" (or something like that) :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
How is it I've never seen one trailer/commercial for Hide & Seek? I have no fucking idea what it is. And already I've lost all interest.

demi

Mike Works said:
Okay, someone do that, but with a little more detail.

DeNiro is Charlie. Dr. Callaway has a split personality. As "Charlie" he killed his wife and others. Emily (Dakota Fanning) knows about the two personalities and witnessed her mother's murder, but she plays along with her dad's dual identities in order to keep him from freaking out.

demi said:
DeNiro is Charlie. Dr. Callaway has a split personality. As "Charlie" he killed his wife and others. Emily (Dakota Fanning) knows about the two personalities and witnessed her mother's murder, but she plays along with her dad's dual identities in order to keep him from freaking out.
That actually sounds like a good plot/ending.

Now lets see what happens in Boogeyman!

MIMIC

Banned
Mike Works said:
Okay, someone do that, but with a little more detail.

DiNero has a personality disorder after having endured a traumatic event (which I assume is his wife cheating on him)...because DiNero constantly has a reoccurring dream in which he psychologically revisits the night when he caught his wife cheating on him.

He winds up killing his wife, which we don't learn until the end of the movie, because until then, we're meant to believe that she killed herself.

demon

Dammit now I wish I didn't read the spoiler. :( Ahh fuckit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MIMIC said:
I personally enjoyed it (because I had no idea that the movie even HAD a twist).
Which is shocking considering the studio sent out this big press release to all news organizations a couple days before it opened talking about how it was shipping the third reels separately because they didn't want the twist leaking. They were ADVERTISING the twist. It was a selling point to them.

demi

timmy's dad gets taken by teh boogeyman when he's a kid. his dad scared him by locking him in the closet when he was young to prove there was no boogeyman.

years later, tim has to go back because his mom died. he meets his old female friend kate and new a new little girl frannie. frannie too believes in teh boogeyman. tim's current girlfriend comes to visit him and she turns up missing at the motel they go to.

tim's uncle goes missing. tim asks frannie how to defeat teh boogeyman, she doesn't know. he takes her home. guess what? frannie is really dead. boogeyman got her too.

her dad tried to face teh boogeyman but got too scared. the key to beating teh boogeyman is facing him. tim goes back to the house and relives the boggeyman taking his uncle and girlfriend. he follows teh boogeyman through the closets and goes to kate's house and saves her just in time.

he has to go back to where it all started, which was his bedroom, so he goes back. he sits in the chair and faces the closet and counts to 5. at 6, he opens his eyes to face the boogeyman who comes out but since tim is no longer scared teh boogeyman, it can't really do anything.

so teh boogeyman's getting sucked back in the closet but is sucking everything in the room back in! UH OH! tim suddenly remembers a doll in his drawer and takes it out -- it looks just like teh boogeyman! he breaks it and teh boogeyman goes away.

well, in conclusion, i guess we're left to interpret that teh boogeyman took the form of everything tim was afraid of -- the doll and closets.

demi

Man I dunno if that's even the ending, I snagged it off imdb.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSs

MIMIC

Banned
Dan said:
Which is shocking considering the studio sent out this big press release to all news organizations a couple days before it opened talking about how it was shipping the third reels separately because they didn't want the twist leaking. They were ADVERTISING the twist. It was a selling point to them.

I fell through the cracks. :)

demon

demi said:
timmy's dad gets taken by teh boogeyman when he's a kid. his dad scared him by locking him in the closet when he was young to prove there was no boogeyman.

years later, tim has to go back because his mom died. he meets his old female friend kate and new a new little girl frannie. frannie too believes in teh boogeyman. tim's current girlfriend comes to visit him and she turns up missing at the motel they go to.

tim's uncle goes missing. tim asks frannie how to defeat teh boogeyman, she doesn't know. he takes her home. guess what? frannie is really dead. boogeyman got her too.

her dad tried to face teh boogeyman but got too scared. the key to beating teh boogeyman is facing him. tim goes back to the house and relives the boggeyman taking his uncle and girlfriend. he follows teh boogeyman through the closets and goes to kate's house and saves her just in time.

he has to go back to where it all started, which was his bedroom, so he goes back. he sits in the chair and faces the closet and counts to 5. at 6, he opens his eyes to face the boogeyman who comes out but since tim is no longer scared teh boogeyman, it can't really do anything.

so teh boogeyman's getting sucked back in the closet but is sucking everything in the room back in! UH OH! tim suddenly remembers a doll in his drawer and takes it out -- it looks just like teh boogeyman! he breaks it and teh boogeyman goes away.

well, in conclusion, i guess we're left to interpret that teh boogeyman took the form of everything tim was afraid of -- the doll and closets.

hollywood.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Does Hollywood have a yearly quota for movies that need to have the same twist ending that's been used since the dawn of time? Fight Club, Secret Window, now this...have there been others with a similar ending?

IF YOU ARE TO REPLY TO ALUCARD'S QUESTION, I SUGGEST USING SPOILER TEXT LIKE MYSELF

Well, Identity is kind of in the same category, but it doesn't really have the same ending.

There is also a review at aint-it-cool-news:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19333

The movie tends to move along at a fairly decent pace. I never stopped to check my watch to see how long I had been there. And once it gets rolling in the final act, it doesn't let up. It moves along faster and faster, picking up pace as the climax builds. And I think that ultimately, that's where the movie falls flat, the final scene. I couldn't help but think of 2 movies when the credits rolled. Each for different reasons. The first movie that popped into my head was 28 Days Later, and how after the initial test screenings, a "happy" ending was forced to be shot because the test screeners hated the ending. The other that now comes to mind is Riddick. I include Riddick because after leaving the movie, the only part of the movie I talked about was how they killed off a character that was as bad ass and cool as the Riddick character, Kyra. I left Riddick literally enraged. In those 2 instances, the ending of a movie sparked emotion. In The Boogeyman, for me at least, I felt nothing. The credits rolled and I left, listening to other peoples qualms.

In the end, The Boogeyman is a great psychological/supernatural thriller that falls flat in the most important part, the end. The movie has a lot of great "Boo" moments along with a tension filled final act. I thought it was shot well, mimicking a few of the trademark Raimi shots. It has good atmosphere and was well lit, even in the dark shots. Overall, I would say see the movie, its worth the price of admission and then some.

Farore said:
WTF Mike...? Was that because what I said about The Grudge? =P
No, it's because you said it was just like
Secret Window
, thus spoiling the fact that the movie has a
split personality twist ending
without using spoiler tags.

Mike Works said:
Secret Window

I'm surprised people didn't figure out by the preview. Really, it was the only possible solution.

Manics

Banned
Sorry I was late to this. The Boogeyman plot was already told in spoiler tags but I'll add my 2 cents:

So there actually WAS a Boogeyman. During the whole movie my wife and I (as I asked her afterward) both thought it would have been scarier if the guy (Tim) was actually insane and thought there was a Boogeyman when in reality it was him killing all the people. Blackouts on his part would account for why he couldn't remember anything. The only scary movies are those which are actually plausible, like having and insane killer running loose. Trying to be scared by some stupid fucking supernatural monster in the closet is so ridiculous, because there's absolutely no basis in reality.

Sagitario

Mike Works said:
Secret Window

Oh... I'm sorry...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Brian Fellows said:
Sounds way too much like Darkness Falls.

Somebody beat me to it... and yeah it sounds ALOT like Darkness Falls... which was... well it had it's moments....

BTW about Hide and Seek... someone made a comment about the daughter's knowledge of events that I'm not sure I agree with...

Someone said the daughter witness the mother's murder... but that doesn't really jive with the end as I remember, because near the end the daughter asks Charlie in a very timid voice.... you killed mommy?!?!! To me it didn't really seem like a statement, it seemed more like a question.

DarienA

Nice site demi I'm gonna have to spend some time there reading about some movies I never made it out to see....

Manics said:
Sorry I was late to this. The Boogeyman plot was already told in spoiler tags but I'll add my 2 cents:

So there actually WAS a Boogeyman. During the whole movie my wife and I (as I asked her afterward) both thought it would have been scarier if the guy (Tim) was actually insane and thought there was a Boogeyman when in reality it was him killing all the people. Blackouts on his part would account for why he couldn't remember anything. The only scary movies are those which are actually plausible, like having and insane killer running loose. Trying to be scared by some stupid fucking supernatural monster in the closet is so ridiculous, because there's absolutely no basis in reality.

If you want something along the lines of that, go see Hide and seek.

DarienA

Terrible movie.. It was like 40 different people wrote it and didn't remember what the previous writer did... my god... terrible lots of shit that didn't make sense... and the end... one of the WORST final battles I've EVER seen in my life... then again it's crazy to say seen because you SEE little to nothing...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Lonely College Student said:
There is also a review at aint-it-cool-news:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19333

The movie tends to move along at a fairly decent pace. I never stopped to check my watch to see how long I had been there. And once it gets rolling in the final act, it doesn't let up. It moves along faster and faster, picking up pace as the climax builds. And I think that ultimately, that's where the movie falls flat, the final scene. I couldn't help but think of 2 movies when the credits rolled. Each for different reasons. The first movie that popped into my head was 28 Days Later, and how after the initial test screenings, a "happy" ending was forced to be shot because the test screeners hated the ending. The other that now comes to mind is Riddick. I include Riddick because after leaving the movie, the only part of the movie I talked about was how they killed off a character that was as bad ass and cool as the Riddick character, Kyra. I left Riddick literally enraged. In those 2 instances, the ending of a movie sparked emotion. In The Boogeyman, for me at least, I felt nothing. The credits rolled and I left, listening to other peoples qualms.

In the end, The Boogeyman is a great psychological/supernatural thriller that falls flat in the most important part, the end. The movie has a lot of great "Boo" moments along with a tension filled final act. I thought it was shot well, mimicking a few of the trademark Raimi shots. It has good atmosphere and was well lit, even in the dark shots. Overall, I would say see the movie, its worth the price of admission and then some.

i agree with this review. the movie was moving along well.. until the end. it really seemed like they didnt know what to do.. and instead of trying something original and cool (there were definitely some possibilities here).. they went with the generic monster story/ending

Hahaha, I just watched this cinematic masterpiece. Here are my thoughts, and SPOILERS ahoy, although I don't think anyone really cares at this point.

Well, evidently the Boogeyman is the evil spirit of a cheap Michael Jordan doll. Seriously. Our puss of a protagonist is scared one night of his doll, and his fear leads to the Boogeyman. Or something. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. At the end he has to destroy the doll to cast off the Boogeyman.

The protagonist is quite possibly the biggest wuss I've ever seen. Like 30 kids and a handful of adults die during the film because of his fear of a Michael Jordan doll.

Also, there is quite a bit of location jumping through closets. Yes, our douchebag protagonist walks through so many closets that you'd think he'd end up in Narnia at some point. Instead he just ends up in cheap motels that R. Kelly would approve. Oh, and when he's doing this he's also jumping around in time.

OUR HERO SEES DEAD PEOPLE. YAY.

Finally, there is one hillarious part where our bumbling adventurer stumbles into a linen closet, and the lightbulb goes out and he's freaking out and getting his ass kicked by clothes-hangers that aren't even attacking him. Then he laughs, and the audience laughs at him because of how much he sucks.

The moral of the story is to not be afraid of evil Michael Jordan dolls. Oh wait I mean ACTION FIGURES!!!! balls

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DarienA said:
Somebody beat me to it... and yeah it sounds ALOT like Darkness Falls... which was... well it had it's moments....

Sadly pretty much all its moments were in the first 10 minutes. When I saw the 10 minute preview I thought it was gonna be a pretty good scary movie. Then when I saw how bad the rest of it was I was really pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom