• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice Department going after anyone who supports ISIS on Twitter/FB/social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Obviously , because its a 'slippery slope' you feel its ok (not ok in the sense that you support it but more that they have the right to do it)for those people to recruit kids to become killers, propagande terrorism,rape , murder etc....

then what do you propose? we let them go....see where it leads? see what happens?

How about the social media platforms police their own sites and actually moderate against Terror?

Instead of this thoughtcrime, surveillance of the public bullshit.

Joni

Seems like a good idea to actually look and see who is out there supporting a terrorist organization. Strange that it is the Justice Department, I thought it would be more like Homeland Security.

Arcia

Banned
Uhhh...

I have a cat named Isis. She is named after the Egyptian god though and I got her over 13 years ago. But still, would mentioning my cat's name on Facebook make me a target? Does this mean I can't talk about my cat on Facebook anymore? :(

Clearly what America needs is more people in prison.

Ya'll are fucking crazy for supporting this thoughtcrime bullshit.

ISIS isn't a physical enemy. It's a thought process that needs to be wiped out. This war is global, and something like this needs to be enacted to fight it at all fronts.

Or we can keep using our freedom of speech to keep decrying it and not do shit about it.

Joni

Uhhh...

I have a cat named Isis. She is named after the Egyptian god though and I got her over 13 years ago. But still, would mentioning my cat's name on Facebook make me a target? Does this mean I can't talk about my cat on Facebook anymore? :(
Well, it depends. Do you like the ISIS facebook page because it has the same name as your cat?

Arcia

Banned
Well, it depends. Do you like the ISIS facebook page because it has the same name as your cat?

Well, of course I haven't liked the page of a terrorist organization that I find repellent. But would even using the word "Isis" put me on a list or something?

Why did a bunch of shitty murders have to steal my cat's name? She had it first!

ISIS isn't a physical enemy. It's a thought process that needs to be wiped out. This war is global, and something like this needs to be enacted to fight it at all fronts.

I would wager that communism was thought of in exactly the same manner during the Red Scare.

Tell me, how did that work out?

jerry1594

Or we can keep using our freedom of speech to keep decrying it and not do shit about it.
How about keeping an eye on them and detaining them after they start a fertilizer factory or want to fly out to Morocco, instead of this non measure.

I would wager that communism was thought of in exactly the same manner during the Red Scare.

Tell me, how did that work out?

I hope people learn from that. I feel like accusations of people supporting xommunism were a dime a dozen and complately overblown. What we're talkinng about now is cold, hard evidence against ISIS supporters based on Internet action... not a witch hunt

Edit: and for people saying you should be able to hold any idea and be free... what the hell? This idea is murdering people based on religion! Draw the fucking line somewhere.

First, here we go again w/ first post GAF.

Secondly, I disagree. Unless they can demonstrate a clear and present danger, I don't think that voicing a pro-anything sentiment should be, in and of itself, illegal. Freedom of speech and freedom of association are important.

I agree with this. Like, fuck ISIS.

At the same time, this is a little far, no?

AppleMIX

I hope people learn from that. I feel like accusations of people supporting xommunism were a dime a dozen and complately overblown. What we're talkinng about now is cold, hard evidence against ISIS supporters based on Internet action... not a witch hunt

Edit: and for people saying you should be able to hold any idea and be free... what the hell? This idea is murdering people based on religion! Draw the fucking line somewhere.

Welcome to America. Freedom tastes so good.

The cost of freedom of speech comes down to protecting speech that you don't like.

Literately from google.

a campaign directed against a person or group holding unorthodox or unpopular views.

You want to arrest someone for having a unpopular opinion. We're not talking about providing ISIS with intel or weapons. We're talking about hitting a re-tweet button.

Siegcram

The quotes in the article suggest nothing along the lines of thought crime or getting thrown into Gitmo for a retweet.

Calm the fuck down people.

Joni

Well, of course I haven't liked the page of a terrorist organization that I find repellent. But would even using the word "Isis" put me on a list or something?
I'm assuming they'll be using a social media data mining application. Words like Isis are read, but you won't get on a real list unless it finds multiple criteria. Now if you were talking about how your cat ISIS is the BOMB because something it did at a party with your MUSLIM friends where you were discussing a trip to SYRIA, then prepare for Gitmo. Also, we're all on the list now.

AppleMIX

The quotes in the article suggest nothing along the lines of thought crime or getting thrown into Gitmo for a retweet.

Calm the fuck down people.

The article literally says....

Help spread ISIS propaganda on Twitter or Facebook, and you could go to jail.

Carlin was asked at the conference whether he would “consider criminal charges” against people who are “proliferating ISIS social media.”

His answer: “Yes. You need to look at the particular facts and evidence.” But Carlin noted that the United States could use the material support law to prosecute “technical expertise” to a designated terrorist organization. And spreading the word for ISIS online could count as such expertise.

Retweet could easily be used as a tool to support ISIS propaganda.

It seems pretty clear cut.

Siegcram

If you think the word "could" stands for certainty, sure. It doesn't though.

All this article says is that the JD places special interest on online activity connected to Isis. Which might lead to criminal charges if someone becomes complicit and propagates their message. Well, no shit.

I have too many unpopular opinions to not see where this is going. I have long thought that the war on terror was a new form of McCarthyism and this is only proving me right.

What comes next should be the question on everyone's minds. ISIS is the enemy dujour but what about when it's any other unpopular group. I hope no one is a part of any other unpopular groups because as soon as they think you are a threat it will be your turn and this will be the precedent they use to enslave or destroy you.

riotous

Banned

That first quote is just something the article writer wrote, not what the government official said.

His answer isn't clear cut at all; he literally says you'd have to look at specific cases and evidence.. then vaguely rambles on about the international community all agreeing to guidelines for this sort of thing.

He's also not saying there is anything new going on; web sites / forum posters have been posting ISIS videos and stories all along with no arrests for it.. so how is anyone jumping to this conclusion that you could be arrested for merely posting something?

The Daily Beast write a massive article based on a 40 minute Q&A and only bothered to include a dozen or so actually quoted words.

Do yourself a favor and take a half hour and just watch what the guy says.

I doubt any of you would be worried if you actually did that::

http://www.c-span.org/video/?324471-2/assistant-attorney-general-john-carlin-cybersecurity

And again, the actual relevant quote:

WOULD YOU CONSIDER CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST PEOPLE WHO ARE KIND OF PROLIFERATING ISIS SOCIAL MEDIA SITES WERE INVOLVED IN THE ISIS SOCIAL MEDIA PRODUCTION FLEX >>

YES. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE PARTICULAR FACTS AND THE EVIDENCE IS. BUT THAT BRINGS THE USE OF THE MATERIAL SUPPORT STATUTE SO THIS SHOULD WHEN WHEN THERE'S A DOZEN TERRORIST GROUPS AND YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR SERVICES TO THAT TERRORIST GROUP EITHER BY PROVIDING AN ACTUAL MATERIAL, MONEY, TECHNICAL EXPERTISE OR YOUR SELF, THESE ARE CASES THAT WE HAVE AND WILL CHARGE UNDER THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM AND THAT APPROACH I THINK YOU SAW IN 2012 ABOUT 27 COUNTRIES WERE PART OF THE GLOBAL COUNTERTERRORIST FORM THAT PRODUCED SOMETHING CALLED THE ROBOT MEMORANDUM OF BEST PRACTICES. WHAT TYPE OF LEGAL CODE SHOULD BE ON THE BOOKS SHOULD ENABLE YOU TO BRING THE CHARGES BEFORE SOMEONE COMMITS A TERRORIST ACT AND WHAT I THINK YOU HAVE SEEN SINCE THEN IS THE ADOPTION BY NEARLY 20 COUNTRIES OF THE CRIMINAL CODES TO ADDRESS THE CYBER CONDUCT, SOME BOTTLED AFTER THE MATERIAL APPROACH AND USE ALL IN THE FALL THE UNPRECEDENTED UNANIMOUS APPROACH AT THE UNITED NATIONS THROUGH THE SECURITY COUNCIL AND THE SAME COUNTERTERRORISM GROUP TO TALK SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE PROBLEM OF THE FOREIGN TERRORIST FIGHTERS WITH INTERNATIONAL AND IN OVER 90 COUNTRIES CONTRIBUTED THE FIGHTERS TO SYRIA IRAQ REGION AND THAT PART OF THE APPROACH TO STOPPING THE ALL TOOLS APPROACH WOULD BE MAKING SURE THAT THE NATIONS HAVE ON THEIR BOOKS COMING OUT THEY ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE ON THE BOOKS STATUTES SO THEY CAN TAKE A CRIMINAL ACTION TO PREVENT CITIZENS IN THEIR COUNTRY TO JOINING THE FIGHT BEFORE THEY BECOME A BIGGER RISK.

Nobody is going to get arrested for linking to Live Leak.. Live Leak has little to no worry, etc.

riotous

Banned
Here is the actual definition of "material support" that the assistant AG is referring to:

(b) Definitions.— As used in this section—
(1) the term “material support or resources” means any property, tangible or intangible, or service, including currency or monetary instruments or financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, expert advice or assistance, safehouses, false documentation or identification, communications equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel (1 or more individuals who may be or include oneself), and transportation, except medicine or religious materials;
(2) the term “training” means instruction or teaching designed to impart a specific skill, as opposed to general knowledge; and
(3) the term “expert advice or assistance” means advice or assistance derived from scientific, technical or other specialized knowledge.

You can find that here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2339A

And see that the law on terrorism states that it is using the definittion of material support form the above quoted section:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2339A

Providing material support to a terrorist organization is not THOUGHT CRIME.. it's supporting murderers.. helping to incite violence. Which has been illegal in general for ages, including in the US. The only thing relatively new are statutes that address supporting international terrorist organizations.. the scariest part of those laws isn't what you can get arrested for, it's what they can get away with doing with you if you are arrested.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Why can't you shout fire in a crowded theatre? Because it's a safety hazard. Because people could be immediately hurt, things could be damaged, etc, in the ensuing panic.

Is someone posting "Go ISIS!" or whatever a safety hazard?

This isn't on people writing Go Isis!
This is about people trying to recruit for ISIS.

What would we do without these brave iconoclasts taking a bold stance on such a controversial issue?

Why people feel the need to affirm that they don't like ISIS in every ISIS thread, I'll never know. Are there any serious people in the West who actually support ISIS? It's such a banal (non) point to make. Even worse, this particular story has far reaching consequences well beyond ISIS. The issue of "material support" being extended to first amendment protected activities is something of major concern for anyone who parrots an unpopular cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom