• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Bieber, Skrillex Sued Over 'Sorry' Hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
The melodies in that song are so uninspired, and lack any sort of memorability to them. If you had the lyrics written down while in the booth, you could riff those melodies off the top of your head.

The single "Is it too late to say sorry, naaow" line is a cool ass vocal riff that highlights how much better the writers for Biebs song was compared to this Ring the bell bullshit.

The "Houououououu!" had to be sampled. It's too close to not be. Other than that, i don't see a striking resemblance.

Implying sorry has inspiring melodies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Seems basically the same, aside from the extra little note at the end of the Sorry hook. I wonder if they recreated it and added on to it, or literally took her voice and played with that.

skrillex is always pretty legit at making sure his collaborators get their due in some way, so if they really did steal it or something equally shady, that would be genuinely surprising to me. he doesn't seem like the type of dude to do that.

PreFire

That sound is actually a voice??

I thought it was a flute lol

It could be a coincidence. It doesn't sound EXACTLY the same. What makes this girl with a terrible singing voice that Justin and Skrillex or anyone involved with the production of "Sorry" even heard her horrible song? (My opinion, of course)

Good publicity though. Getting them YouTube views with an unskippable 15 second ad

By contrast, Beyonce has become so careful about this that she credited Animal Collective for the single phrase "material things":

20e327bce2.png

Too bad she's not as vigilant when it comes to MV concepts :p
Even though its only two words, I can see why she did it. The bridges from both songs share the same chord progression. Throw in the words Material Things, its best to just cover your ass.

They fucked up by preemptively suing the Gaye estate. I don't like the outcome that you can copyright a groove or a specific feel. Under precedent, they could go after Sheryl Crow for All I Wanna Do.

Volimar

Give em the Bittersweet Symphony treatment and give her all the revenue!

The people in here, who are saying they changed it up a little bit so it's not the same, sound like Vanilla Ice explaining the difference between his hook in ice ice baby and queen's under pressure.

http://youtu.be/a-1_9-z9rbY

I haven't clicked yet, but is this the interview where he can't even keep a straight face as he claims it's different?

Edit: Damn it cuts off the end where he says "It's not the same," with a big shit eating grin on his face.

Quonny

These cases are strange. Yes, it sounds very similar, but without someone from the Beebs/Skrillex camp going "ya we stole it" it's hard to prove.

So it'll just end up with an out-of-court settlement and everyone will move on.

But jesusfuck that ring the bell song is awful

They might've found the vocal/sound/loop from a sample pack and just used that ("Lean On" did that). The melody is identical and the vocal sounds eerily similar.

Calabi

If she wins wouldnt it mean an end to music as we know it?

Loads of artist have used samples without permission in the past.

Skux

What a load of bollocks. Another opportunistic money grab from some wannabe who just happened to use the same four notes.

kmax

The song is so intriguingly bad that it's refreshing in a way. So terrible, yet so alluring.

Anyway, this is an open-and-shut case. She's either winning or settling, so Biebs better ready his wallet.

see5harp

Wow, that song is fucking awful. And I'm not talking about Bieber.

She should be grateful someone took the only salvageable part and made it not shit

Whoa I might disagree that she deserves a significant amount of the publishing but I like most of what she's put out.

see5harp

What a load of bollocks. Another opportunistic money grab from some wannabe who just happened to use the same four notes.

"Some wannabe" though? She been done released music and she was doing it well before Beiber became palatable to grown folks.

qcf x2

She's pretty bad, like actually somehow worse than Ke$ha, but that's definitely a stolen riff. Hopefully she owns all of her shit so she gets the money.

He explains it pretty clearly.

It's obviously a sample, someone just forgot to get it cleared. DJs and producers deal with this all the time. Guys like Diplo and Skrillex sample shit always, and never deal with lawsuits, because they make sure to pay the source. I'd bet someone on Bieber's team forgot to clear the sample.

You realize Skrillex co produced the song, right?

robosllim

They sound pretty similar, but I'm just more surprised that Bieber's video has over a billion views. I thought Gangnam style was a freak occurrence, but I guess this is a thing that happens now.

Yes...?

It means that Skrillex or someone else sampled it but the sample was never cleared.

I know but you said "Skrillex sample shit always, and never deal with lawsuits, because they make sure to pay the source." When it could very well be that Skrillex sampled it, and didn't make sure to pay the source, and now has to deal with a lawsuit. LOL

see5harp

I know but you said "Skrillex sample shit always, and never deal with lawsuits, because they make sure to pay the source." When it could very well be that Skrillex sampled it, and didn't make sure to pay the source, and now has to deal with a lawsuit. LOL

??? Scrillex was one of a bunch of people working on the song. Watch the video, Diplo explains what might have happened very clearly.

ShogunX

She almost certainly has a case but holy shit ''Ring the Bell'' is an absolute mess of a song. Vocals and beats thrown around with no care whatsoever. Did David Cage write it?

Sounds very similar, yeah.

And man Ring the Bell is a pretty terrible song. The houhouhouhouuu part is the only redeemable thing about it.

??? Scrillex was one of a bunch of people working on the song. Watch the video, Diplo explains what might have happened very clearly.

Watch the video? I'm the one that posted it. LOL I was pointing out the flaw in his statement. The song's production credit are attributed to Skrillex and Blood, so it's either, or... unless some other ghost co producer who didn't get any credit introduced the sample which doesn't matter because he/she wouldn't be liable.

She definitely has all the reason to sue and hopefully it ends in her favor. It's a shame she is getting all this hate for creating something of her own and then calling someone out for using it without contacting her in any way. Sure people might not like her song but that doesn't excuse what's happening.
It really saddens me how when stuff like this happens (like with the case earlier this year of sleigh bells) how people discredit it because the band calling out someone else is smaller, never understands how that makes it right.
Some people care about what they create and work hard on it to make it special and have all the right to call someone out who tries to use their sound without crediting it in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom