• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa to release comics for free, online, in three languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Consumers/Kadokawa-to-launch-a-free-manga-web-service-in-3-languages

TOKYO -- Kadokawa is launching a service that the Japanese publishing house hopes will become a pillar of its digital business -- ComicWalker, a free, online, worldwide manga comic distribution service available in Japanese, Chinese and English.

The service will start on March 22 by offering 200 titles of manga totaling 5,000 pages. It will be accessible on smartphones, tablets as well as personal computers. The Japanese lines can be switched to English or Chinese with a single command. The latest chapters will be available for free until the next chapter is published. After that, the older chapters will be available for purchase.

Kadokawa -- created last October through the reorganization of Kadokawa Group Holdings and its consolidation with nine subsidiaries -- plans to provide through the new service manga from up to 23 of the group's printed and web-based magazines. The publisher aims to have ComicWalker by the end of this year become one of Japan's biggest comic sites, with 1 million monthly-based users and 100 million page views.

Free, if you can wait

"These days, we don't see many people reading manga magazines on the train. Unless we do something, Japan's manga culture will decline," Senior Managing Director Shinichiro Inoue said.

The company says that ComicWalker will achieve two major goals if successful -- it will expose more young readers, who are more tech-savvy, to Kadokawa's manga library, and help export a comic culture particular to Japan to the rest of the world.

Of the 200 initial works, about 150 have been chosen from serialized manga comics printed in magazines. They are to be available on ComicWalker for two weeks after their print versions come out. This means that though users will have to wait two weeks for new stories, they will be able to continue reading a whole series for free.

The catch is that once a new chapter is available online, the older chapter gets archived at Kadokawa's online bookstore, Book Walker, where readers will have to pay for it. With this, Kadokawa hopes to broaden the scope of regular buyers of its comic books. The company also plans to offer about 50 manga works that are available only on ComicWalker.

Initially, 40 titles will be available in English and Chinese in addition to the original Japanese. "We want to provide French versions as well before very long," a Kadokawa executive said. "French-speaking countries include African nations where networks of bookshops remain underdeveloped. We would like people in Africa to also read Japanese manga."

Beating the pirates

Kadokawa's move to offer its latest comics simultaneously around the world is partly designed to help fight the rampant illegal distribution of manga. For instance, comics in the highly popular "Weekly Shonen Jump" magazine, published by Kadokawa's Japanese rival Shueisha, which goes on sale every Monday, are available illegally online, in English, the Wednesday before it hits shelves. This is achieved presumably by people who obtain the latest issue somehow and manage to get it translated into English using a worldwide network of thousands of translators.

Three major underground sites alone have a total of 9 million monthly unique users, with page views amounting to 2 billion. These sites make about $12 million a year from ads, eating into the revenues of the original publishers.

Kadokawa decided to go ahead with ComicWalker after the successful simultaneous global release of the printed and digital versions of latest installment of "Neon Genesis Evangelion." Volume 13 was released in November 2012 in 15 countries, including in Europe, the U.S., China and Brazil, and was a big hit in all locations.

"That experience convinced us that if we deliver legitimate manga digitally and quickly, we'll be able to win the hearts of comic fans worldwide, and as a result, eradicate underground sites," Inoue said.

DeNA, an operator of social games, started in December a similar free online comic service in multiple languages, called Manga Box. The service has only 38 titles on offer so far, but it already has 3 million downloads. This success is being attributed to the lineup of popular manga from magazines of leading Japanese publishers, including Kodansha and Shogakukan.

They took a fucking LONG time to get this running, but thank god they're doing it. Making the latest issue free but having the past issues paid is a good idea. It lets them retain value on their print/digital tankobons, which is probably where most of their money comes from. So the kids who need the latest issue get it for free, and the collectors get to keep their printed editions and possibly get more value from them.

rrs

Waiting 2 weeks however, could still make for a userbase that uses illegal methods of reading said manga.

Was definitely not expecting English to be one of the three.

I would guess it's the third largest market of not legal manga.

Waiting 2 weeks however, could still make for a userbase that uses illegal methods of reading said manga.

There is nevertheless a demand for properly localized manga and I'm more inclined to pick up series I've never been exposed to if there's more quality control behind the English distribution.

As a very lazy gaijin in Japan, this might finally get me to read some manga if it means I can switch at will between languages and thus improve my reading skills.

Jintor

So the thing that makes me kind of antsy about this is the fact that they immediately put archives behind a paywall once the new chapter is out. That's great for people who are already invested in the series and are just waiting on weekly releases - but what about people who want to start a series up but just want to dabble in the first volume or so to see if they like it? (The answer, of course, is going to be scanlation sites, but it seems to me it'd be better for Kadokawa to try and get consumers immersed in a legal system asap)

Maybe they'll just make the first three volumes or something of a bunch of series free. I don't know.

Aeana

So the thing that makes me kind of antsy about this is the fact that they immediately put archives behind a paywall once the new chapter is out. That's great for people who are already invested in the series and are just waiting on weekly releases - but what about people who want to start a series up but just want to dabble in the first volume or so to see if they like it?

Maybe they'll just make the first three volumes or something of a bunch of series free. I don't know.
It's already common for online comic stores to make the first chapter free, and I would actually be really surprised if they don't do that here as well. It's not as substantial as the first few volumes (that's a lot of chapters for some series, a drop in the bucket for some of the longer-running ones), but it can be good enough to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

It's already common for online comic stores to make the first chapter free, and I would actually be really surprised if they don't do that here as well. It's not as substantial as the first few volumes (that's a lot of chapters for some series, a drop in the bucket for some of the longer-running ones), but it can be good enough to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Doesn't marvel do a pay and get access to all of it thing?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I would guess it's the third largest market of not legal manga.

Well before it was either pirate or import it with a language you don't understand.

Given the choices, I am sure a lot of honest fans will rather wait 2 weeks than being a pirate. It is the exact same situation for steam and pc piracy or iTunes and torrent.

Three major underground sites alone have a total of 9 million monthly unique users, with page views amounting to 2 billion. These sites make about $12 million a year from ads, eating into the revenues of the original publishers.

I really hate those sites. They just take the work of scanlators, put them on their site and make money like crazy, while the scanlators, who do almost all the work, wont even be recognized...

Well before it was either pirate or import it with a language you don't understand.

There are still enough manga in english. People would still rather pirate the series because they wouldnt wanna spend 6$ on one volume.

rrs

Given the choices, I am sure a lot of honest fans will rather wait 2 weeks than being a pirate. It is the exact same situation for steam and pc piracy or iTunes and torrent.

There is nevertheless a demand for properly localized manga and I'm more inclined to pick up series I've never been exposed to if there's more quality control behind the English distribution.

Both valid points to be made, but 2 weeks could seem too long for some and be a source of translations by scummy websites trying to catch binge readers. I guess we can all see how things turn out, hopefully with doing serious damage to said illegal websites.

survivor

Banned
Both valid points to be made, but 2 weeks could seem too long for some and be a source of translations by scummy websites trying to catch binge readers. I guess we can all see how things turn out, hopefully with doing serious damage to said illegal websites.

2 weeks period is more than fine. Kadokawa's manga in general aren't super popular so it's not like their translations are available a day or two after the manga comes out in Japan.

Busaiku

What popular series are on Manga Box besides maybe Spoof on Titan?
Seriously, I hadn't heard of any of these series before, nor have I heard of most of these authors.

In any case, hyped for this too.
With this, Manga Box, Crunchyroll, and Weekly Shonen Jump, things are definitely getting good.

This sounds cool. Will give it a whirl.

from that article, those underground scan sites make alot of money. Unfortunate.

And they arent really scanlating themselves.

While most of the scanlators just want other people to enjoy some manga in their native language, those websites just collect them and put them on their online-readers and even put their own watermark on the pages...

zoku88

It's now up with stuff slowly being added to it.

http://comic-walker.com/

Nice.

Some of the english of the website is kinda awkward, but the actual manga seem fine.

Kinda weird to see titles that are already available in stores (Gundam the Origin and Haganai) on there. I wonder if they're just using the already available translations. (I guess I could check Haganai.)
I'm definitely gonna get in on this. But I'm not good at keeping up with serialized stuff.

It looks like there is some kind of notification thing. I'm pretty sure it sends emails (the pop-up message when clicking it was super awkward english. "A new email is set".)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda weird to see titles that are already available in stores (Gundam the Origin and Haganai) on there. I wonder if they're just using the already available translations. (I guess I could check Haganai.)
I know on Vertical's tumblr they were saying they used some of the same translators and letterers as Vertical. For some of the stuff they have upcoming, they said they'll only have stuff up until it comes out in book form.

They... they have Neon Genesis Evangelion...
In color...
I can't.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMYYYYYYYGOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

The coloring is kinda bad... plus the colored illustrations in the recent omnibus releases are much better in paper than on a screen, which is typically the case with these things.

There's nothing that i'm particularly interested in, sadly, but it's not like alternative manga would ever get a spot in a publishing service like this.

Lol, did they just dump the old tokyopop translation of Sgt Frog on there? I was just thinking about that series the other day too.

I've been wanting to check out Gundam: The Origin so I guess I'll be using this. It'll be fun to reread Sgt. Frog as well.

zoku88

Lol, did they just dump the old tokyopop translation of Sgt Frog on there? I was just thinking about that series the other day too.

I've been wanting to check out Gundam: The Origin so I guess I'll be using this. It'll be fun to reread Sgt. Frog as well.

I noticed that too.

It even has the old logo on there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom