• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West Splits From Jay Z's Tidal (Tidal To Sue Kanye For Breach Of Contract)

riotous

Banned
What's with this costing his fans money/breach of contract thing?

I never said a word about "breach of contract." If you think every single fan got every single dollar back from his cancelled tour, you are delusional. Tickets sell on all kinds of sites, not to mention possible no refundable airline tickets.

Whenever you buy tickets through a third party you should know what your getting yourself into, that's on the consumer to find out if they are screwed in the event of a cancellation.
Oh sweet; so Kanye cancelling the tour is all good and not remotely flaky then, it's on the consumers.

As far as I know no partners he had on the tour have publicly tried to take action against him for pulling out of the tour.

I didn't say anything of the sort; but... it's just a fact, anyone partnering with Kanye on the tour would have lost business.

So, you seem to have rather he had kept going through on the second leg, which he was only just starting at the time, despite his mental health taking a hit, just to protect the pockets of fans and/or business partners who don't seem to be too bothered in the first place.

I'm not telling Kanye what to do, or what he should of done.

I'm saying cancelling a tour is flaky. It's evidence of Kanye flaking on business situations... so why give him the benefit of the doubt when someone else is accusing him of breach of contract?

You apparently think it isn't flaky to cancel a tour. Neat. Done talking to your "the fuck" ass though. Respond to the words people type, be specific, and have a nice day.

That doesn't mean Kanye didn't hear the track.

How exactly would that have happened? Kanye's been ranting about how Jay doesn't speak to him or hang out with him on the regular. Their social circles no longer overlap and if you're anyone who is working closely enough with Jay to have access to the tracks, why would you potentially burn that bridge by showing anything to Kanye?

IrishNinja

Turbo Graphx 16 bound to be a classic.

can't be worse than TLOP

On Sight.
Blood on the Leaves.
Bound 2.
Hold My Liquor.
Send It Up.
Guilt Trip.
Black Skinhead.
New Slaves.

The only two "okay" songs are I Am A God and I'm In It, but even they fit well with the atmosphere and the pace of the album.

yeah yeezus struck me as something like 808s, people are gonna need some distance from it to appreciate the highs

Kanye hasn't put out a good album since MBDTF.

yeezus was better, for one

LionPride

Banned
On Sight.
Blood on the Leaves.
Bound 2.
Hold My Liquor.
Send It Up.
Guilt Trip.
Black Skinhead.
New Slaves.

The only two "okay" songs are I Am A God and I'm In It, but even they fit well with the atmosphere and the pace of the album.
Only songs I don't like are Bound 2 and On Sight

Yeezus is really good

It's no real defense of his action, but he supported the Oompa Loompa not because of any of his policies but because he's an outsider just like West perceived himself to be. Kanye always positioned himself as the outcast, as the outsider trying his damndest to break the establishment's mold of what could be a rapper or a fashion designer.

It doesn't really matter though, because at the end of the day, he supported a man with despicable policies out of some misguided sense of kinship. Kanye's never going to live down that photograph with him or that photo of the signed Time cover, and that's his stupid cross to bear.

Kanye. An outsider. Kinship wit Trump. What are we doing here. Stanning has gone too far.

Cosby Innocent supposedly came from somebody telling Ye Cosby was exonerated and he just posted that without checking. But, grapevine and all that.

I own your child was just Ye being a petty douche. But, that rant gave us the most inspirational thing Ye would ever say.

"Grapevine and all that."

This is why GAF-Hop will never have cred.

Goodness...

Kelsdesu

Reading somewhere else did, though? I mean you might as well say you asked your friends and they agreed with you, that doesnt back up an argument. Anecdotal evidence to the max that actually contradicts measures like MBDTFs excellent reception from fans and critics too

Nobody I know fucks with that. Even when the shit was new nobody in my neighborhood was fucking with that.

I will say though that you win this discussion since mtfbd was one of his highest received albums on metacritic. I wont even argue that and yes my OPINION is anecdotal.

Does Jay owe him money? My answer is still no.

Kanye did immediately go back on his Trump support. He's not exactly bright, and had just come out of a mental health hospital. Supporting an unsavory person, is not the worst thing as long as you realise and admit that it is wrong and stupid. Kanye did that.

I doubt anyone loves Kanye as a person. But he is not a bad enough person to dismiss his music at all. Not even close. We forgive much worse than saying and doing kooky shit that mostly just embarrasses Kanye himself and no one else.

TLOP has some straight up amazing tracks. Its not consistent, but its still the work of a brilliant artists, and the heights are legit great, imo.

CoolOff

Yeah, track for track I'd say TLOP is up there, if not better, than most of his other albums. It just doesn't work as an album.

Going back to Yeezus today. It's so good. I have no shame in my stanning for Ye.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone wondering why this suddenly became public after Jay-Z dropped his last album? It was almost like Ye was keeping it private away from the public eye but once he heard that diss from Jay he was like "Fuck that! I'm out!"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anyone wondering why this suddenly became public after Jay-Z dropped his last album? It was almost like Ye was keeping it private away from the public eye but once he heard that diss from Jay he was like "Fuck that! I'm out!"

They probably already cleared the issues between them a while ago, i remember reading something about a Carter/West Family meeting ....this isnt much different than Beyonce putting Jay-Z on blast on Lemonade even though they already had moved past that past of their relationship.

Whenever Jay wrote the song, thats how he felt...and he probably told Kanye beforehand that there might be some bars adressing the situation.

Turns out that $20 million Jay gave Kanye might not have been a gift.
The $20 million Jay-Z fronted Kanye West was NOT a gift -- as Jay insinuated on his album 4:44 -- it was all part of Live Nation's deal with 'Ye.

Sources with direct knowledge of Jay and Kanye's business relationship tell TMZ, the $20 million was a touring advance to cover expenses -- including the floating stage -- for Kanye's "Saint Pablo Tour." The money covered various production costs and staff. It's actually standard for artists at Kanye's level to get such an advance. It's part of the deal.

Jay certainly made it sound like he and Roc Nation gifted Kanye the dough. In the song, "Kill Jay Z" Jay raps ... "But you got hurt because you did cool by 'Ye // You gave him 20 million without blinkin' // He gave you 20 minutes on stage, f*** was he thinkin'? // 'F*** wrong with everybody?' is what you sayin' // But if everybody's crazy, you're the one that's insane."

We broke the story ... Kanye bailed on Jay-Z's streaming service, Tidal, over a money dispute. Kanye's decision to leave had nothing to do with the $20 mil. He claims he's owed unrelated millions for subscription bonuses and music video expenses. Jay has threatened to sue Kanye if he make an exclusive deal with another streaming service, but we're told Kanye's done with exclusive deals.

Camel is the new snake.

Kanye. An outsider. Kinship wit Trump. What are we doing here. Stanning has gone too far.

"Grapevine and all that."

This is why GAF-Hop will never have cred.

Goodness...
Are you going to seriously say Kanye's never positioned himself as an outsider? The entirety of the song "New Slaves" was a fuck you to the fashion industry who ripped his clothing line's first couple seasons to shreds and then gave him no support despite his fame and brand name. Then you got the stuff from earlier in his career, like "Back when they thought pink polos would hurt the Roc" and "I take my chain, my 15 seconds of fame / And come back next year with the whole fucking game / Ain't nobody expect Kanye to end up on top / They expected that College Dropout to drop and then flop / Then maybe he stop savin' all the good beats for himself." Throughout Kanye's career, he's become an outsider for some reason or the other, whether it be his producing style or his interruption of America's sweetheart. It's a fucking theme throughout his discography and life.

Even during his rants, he maintains that position:
There's a Richard Pryor interview that you can watch
About people coming into power and not changing anything
Just becoming part of the power
That's happened with musicians, cause they scared
I'm not scared; I'm here to change things
I am here to change things

It doesn't take a literary genius to put two and two together, and presume the reason West felt the way he did is out of some misguided sense of kinship between outsiders. From the infamous rants on the tour:
Just look at the president. He wasn’t even in politics and he won! That shows you not if you mad about him winning, but that shows you the level of possibility that is out there if you go and find information and don’t believe everything the fucking internet is telling you!
I don’t think his approach was just entertaining, because that trivializes it, I actually think that his approach was absolutely genius because it fucking worked!
There’s methods, nonpolitical methods to speaking that I like that I feel were very futuristic and that style and that method of communication has proven that it can be a politically correct way of communication. And I fuck with that.
Now, before you go, "hurr durr Kanye stan is so deluded", I think Kanye's a fucking idiot on a whole other level for his "support." You're not some random idiot Kanye, you're a megastar who has fans that get personally affected and victimized from your support of a man who intends to hurt them. It's naivete that borders on willful ignorance and he deserved every bit of excoriation and hate he got from his idiocy. In short, while I can see where he comes from with his support of President Fuckface, I can also see just how fucking stupid and childish it is.

Secondly, the Cosby thing. That's one interpretation of how that tweet got there. In all honesty, I don't even remember where I heard the story from. But based on Kanye's previous actions in the public spotlight like the Taylor Swift incident and the George Bush incident, I lean more towards the idea that it was rash idiocy fueling that tweet.

to the fashion industry who ripped his clothing line's first couple seasons to shreds and then gave him no support despite his fame and brand name.

Because it was pedestrian garbage and no one in an industry outside of hip hop owes Kanye shit just because he's Kanye.

You can't be an outside and then get mad cause someone doesn't respect your own well known brand.

Kanye's as much of an outside as Trump claims to be.

Are you going to seriously say Kanye's never positioned himself as an outsider? The entirety of the song "New Slaves" was a fuck you to the fashion industry who ripped his clothing line's first couple seasons to shreds and then gave him no support despite his fame and brand name. Then you got the stuff from earlier in his career, like "Back when they thought pink polos would hurt the Roc" and "I take my chain, my 15 seconds of fame / And come back next year with the whole fucking game / Ain't nobody expect Kanye to end up on top / They expected that College Dropout to drop and then flop / Then maybe he stop savin' all the good beats for himself." Throughout Kanye's career, he's become an outsider for some reason or the other, whether it be his producing style or his interruption of America's sweetheart. It's a fucking theme throughout his discography and life.

Even during his rants, he maintains that position:

It doesn't take a literary genius to put two and two together, and presume the reason West felt the way he did is out of some misguided sense of kinship between outsiders. From the infamous rants on the tour:

Now, before you go, "hurr durr Kanye stan is so deluded", I think Kanye's a fucking idiot on a whole other level for his "support." You're not some random idiot Kanye, you're a megastar who has fans that get personally affected and victimized from your support of a man who intends to hurt them. It's naivete that borders on willful ignorance and he deserved every bit of excoriation and hate he got from his idiocy. In short, while I can see where he comes from with his support of President Fuckface, I can also see just how fucking stupid and childish it is.

Secondly, the Cosby thing. That's one interpretation of how that tweet got there. In all honesty, I don't even remember where I heard the story from. But based on Kanye's previous actions in the public spotlight like the Taylor Swift incident and the George Bush incident, I lean more towards the idea that it was rash idiocy fueling that tweet.

15956180.jpg

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's official.

A source close to Kanye West confirmed Thursday that Tidal's exclusivity rights to his music have been "terminated" over the streaming service's alleged failure to "honor its financial obligations." The source confirmed the termination to Billboard, meaning that—unless a new deal is arranged in the future—forthcoming releases from West will not debut as Tidal exclusives as last year's The Life of Pablo did.

Additionally, Tidal had reportedly threatened to sue West if he signed an exclusivity agreement with a different streaming service. West, however, may be done with such deals for good. According to their sources, the $3 million stems from a Life of Pablo bonus and reimbursement of music video production costs.

The family feud is coming to an end.
Kanye West has reached out to Jay-Z to bury the hatchet in their latest feud ... TMZ has learned.

Sources familiar with the situation tell us, Kanye asked for a face-to-face with Jay, to hash out the beef that was ignited when Kanye went onstage last Fall and went after Jay, Beyonce and even Blue Ivy.

Jay said he paid no mind to Kanye targeting him, but going after his family crossed the line. And Jay called Kanye out in the song "Kill Jay Z." Kanye's people feel Jay should cut him some slack because Kanye wasn't in his right mind ... Kanye went on the rant shortly before his hospitalization.

It's interesting ... TMZ broke the story Kanye and Jay are embroiled in a financial dispute over Yeezy's Tidal deal and millions are in contention. Yet we're told money is not the source of conflict between the 2 men. They both have plenty. It's all about their relationship.

One source says they seem to be reconciling, adding they have the classic love/hate relationship and frequently bounce back between the 2 emotions.
As for the Tidal dispute, we're told it's being hashed out.

Nobody wins when the family feuds.

#EverybodyWinsDec31st

Servbot24

Banned
Trump is a bad president, imo. Pizza is good, imo. Today's been pretty good, imo. Life is worthwhile, imo.

Language is so much better when we add superfluous acronyms everywhere, imo.

OPINION ALERT

THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY AN OPINION

Yeezus is bad except Bound 2. TLOP is good though.

Bound 2 is the worst song on his best album

THE ABOVE IS ONLY AN OPINION

THIS ENDS THE OPINION ALERT

Top Bottom