• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kasuga Ichiban is the best protagonist in a game I've seen in a long time

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It has been a long time since I've fallen in love with a game character. Lately I've been playing Yakuza like a Dragon. I didn't know what to expect. It's my first Yakuza game. I love it to death. A big reason is because of how dope the main character Kasuga Ichiban is.

The guy is just too loveable. He's a dim low level Yakuza grunt. He's reckless. He's kind of dumb. But he's also passionate and loyal. Terrible things happen to him. He's had a shitty life. But he doesn't wallow in self misery. Inspired by his favorite video game series, Dragon Quest, he seeks to become a Hero. His unrelenting optimism makes me feel good.

The rest of the cast is pretty good so far too. I'm only on chapter 5, but I really like Namba, Adachi and Saeko. "The power of friendship" is a overworn trope in JRPGs, but here is feels genuine." Despite his short comings, Ichiban feels like a person that other people would be naturally drawn too and so their bonding scenes feel real and earned.

Ichiban is a good guy. I really appreciate him.

Happy Way To Go GIF by SEGA

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not the biggest of brains, but the biggest heart.

Chukhopops

Yeah, I thought I would miss Kiryu but Ichiban is just so good I’m ok with the change.

It helps that the rest of the cast is also quite fantastic, it’s almost as good as DQXIS.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The guy is just too loveable. He's a dim low level Yakuza grunt. He's reckless. He's kind of dumb. But he's also passionate and loyal. Terrible things happen to him. He's had a shitty life. But he doesn't wallow in self misery. Inspired by his favorite video game series, Dragon Quest, he seeks to become a Hero. His unrelenting optimism makes me feel good.
Isn't that every Yakuza MC?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ichi is a pretty cool guy, he uses friendship to kick ass and doesn't afraid of anything. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is GOTY 2020 and the best JRPG in a long while (and not for lack of competition or anything recently). I just don't know what they could do with a sequel to have as much impact as the guy's essential origins and the friends he made on the way as seen here (honestly even the last few party members added don't feel as good despite all having their bonding level storylines and what not, it just feels more forced compared to what more organically happens over the course of the whole game with the original group). Hopefully they don't artificially return back to good ol yakuza rule of law given the ending's ramifications, I want them to see that through rather than undo it, maybe the next game could just be called Like a Dragon 2 even. I liked the fan service send off to some characters and some series tropes too (baby yakuza side quest seen in every recent game) but hope that was the last of it generally, Ichi can easily stand on his own two feet and the game would have been great even without any of this (but I don't feel they overdid it or anything either). Also lol @ Bleach Japan, such a retarded group but it hits close to home nowadays, puritans and imbeciles pretending they're good while making people suffer, forcing mass deportations etc. to keep the nation "pure" as in shaping it for their own gain at others' expense, glad they get owned.

Last edited:

mejin

I liked him, but he is just too retarded sometimes. He's 41y old, come on. At least, the potential is there.

Kiryu and Yagami are better protagonists, but Ichiban has a team, so dynamic overall works really well.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Yeah, I thought I would miss Kiryu but Ichiban is just so good I’m ok with the change.

It helps that the rest of the cast is also quite fantastic, it’s almost as good as DQXIS.
I love Dragon Quest, and I think XI is an excellent game with excellent characters. But I like the main characters of this more.

stn

I'm a big fan as well, but I think it works because he's part of a team and there's a dynamic there. I'd actually like to see them make a Yak game with a total piece of shit protagonist, I think that would be a "fresh" idea for the series.

Easily my favorite protagonist of any game the past decade. He's probably the most grounded and believable main character the series has ever had. Kiryu felt a little too bland and Majima kind of turned into some wacky comedic character after the first game and is honestly obnoxious to the point where I can’t stand him.

Ichiban feels like a balanced blend of Kiryu’s good intentions and Majima’s ballsy methods.

I don't disagree OP, but Yakuza usually nails its protagonists and other major characters. This is just another day at the office for them.

I like that the devs are able to consistently make "noble criminals" who nevertheless also feel a bit distinct from each other.

I'm a big fan as well, but I think it works because he's part of a team and there's a dynamic there. I'd actually like to see them make a Yak game with a total piece of shit protagonist, I think that would be a "fresh" idea for the series.
Yeah that would be a nice change and also make logical sense, since the criminal underworld is not where you normally find the most virtuous people in society, so a dispicable protag would work there well. Not that I'd want him to stay that way of course, the story should arc cover his gradual transformation to someone admirable instead of going nowhere positive, but a bad guy main character seems due.

Last edited:
Top Bottom