• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter campaign ongoing to "save Pepe"

Sunster

I have only seen pepe on tumblr and never as a hate symbol. where did this hate symbol stuff come from?

I have only seen pepe on tumblr and never as a hate symbol. where did this hate symbol stuff come from?

Was a 4chan meme for years (Feels good man) and because of that ended up being co-opted by the /pol/ board and that's one in the same with alt-right Kekistan dumbfucks so

Griss

All kinds of terrible shit from terrorist plans to Mein Kampf were written on paper and I have no problem with paper.

Same with Pepe. He's just a tool of whoever's posting him. He was a good lad, didn't ask to get in all the trouble he did. He can even be used against the alt-right if you want, I've seeing "dabbing Pepes" on twitter designed to upset those kinds of people.

Whether he gets saved or not I'll always remember him as the "Feels good man frog" which is what he would have wanted. The 'rare pepe economy' meme was also a pretty goddamn funny skit on the nature of memes and how culture gets adopted through the internet, often against the original subculture's wishes.

He became the de-facto face of 4chan's /pol/ board, which is a haven for anti-semites and white supremacists. They even built this sort of religion based around frog imagery, they went way off the deep end.

I've heard from some that Pepe is being used as an ironic joke to troll everyone, including the Alt-Reich.

I honestly find that difficult to believe.

Dali

Wasn't he on npr like not even a month ago saying he'd been thinking about offing pepe for a while and was comfortable with his decision? I guess he changed his mind?

5taquitos

I've heard from some that Pepe is being used as an ironic joke to troll everyone, including the Alt-Reich.

I honestly find that difficult to believe.
One of the alt-right's primary defenses is the "just a prank, bro" or "shitposting," so they'll try to mask their abhorrent views behind the facade of light-hearted trolling.

The people who love Pepe the most are far beyond comprehension. What used to be stupid image for shitposters to post smugly was edited and hijacked into something that just became the posterboy for idiots of the ENTIRE internet.

RedHill

Banned
Jesus some of you are awful. This guy's creation got forced into a hate symbol. That's pretty fucked up, let him try what he can to turn the tide.

PSqueak

Banned
And he really thinks he can just polish that image after the alt-right have completely tainted it?

It's like trying to bring back the Hitler-stache. You can say you're trying to "take it back" and that it's really 'the Charlie Chaplin', but you ain't gonna undo that it's also called the Hitler-stache. Just let it go.

Think of it more of like how the LGBTA+ have successfully cleaned the word "Queer" in almost all contexts and now is one they use with pride.

Hex

Banned
Can I pay to make it burn faster?
I will pay triple if you throw that Dolan aids drainage on the pyre.

Sunster

Was a 4chan meme for years (Feels good man) and because of that ended up being co-opted by the /pol/ board and that's one in the same with alt-right Kekistan dumbfucks so

r/T_D and /pol/ co-opted it during the 2016 campaign, and it's become their primary meme.

All kinds of terrible shit from terrorist plans to Mein Kampf were written on paper and I have no problem with paper.

Same with Pepe. He's just a tool of whoever's posting him. He was a good lad, didn't ask to get in all the trouble he did. He can even be used against the alt-right if you want, I've seeing "dabbing Pepes" on twitter designed to upset those kinds of people.

Whether he gets saved or not I'll always remember him as the "Feels good man frog" which is what he would have wanted. The 'rare pepe economy' meme was also a pretty goddamn funny skit on the nature of memes and how culture gets adopted through the internet, often against the original subculture's wishes.

He became the de-facto face of 4chan's /pol/ board, which is a haven for anti-semites and white supremacists. They even built this sort of religion based around frog imagery, they went way off the deep end.

oh, 4chan. I went there once on /b/. saw a naked kid and something disgusting called a "rekt thread" both on page 1. never been back.

Brakke

Banned

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/its-not-easy-being-green/499892/

Interview with dude including links out to more reading on Pepe.

Jesus some of you are awful. This guy's creation got forced into a hate symbol. That's pretty fucked up, let him try what he can to turn the tide.

The battle is lost and the thing wasn't very valuable to begin with. You just can't beat these lunatics when it comes to memes, they care about their meme kingdoms more than you do.

The guy is actually trying what he can to get paid. Which -- fine: stay on that hustle, get your green. Just don't pretend this is a moment of peace and love and friendship, admit you're chasing that cheese.

Hex

Banned

It was a stupid symbol that was used for dumb assed memes anyway.
Nothing of value or constructive merit is lost.

IrishNinja

can't imagine how awful it would be to create something and have the worst elements of humanity hijack it...but i'd definitely move on & try something else

Permanently A

CsxgZSIWgAAeTdt.jpg

Its been too long. Its time for you to come home, Pepe.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Pepe became so popular that celebrities started using it.
The original 4channers didn't like this so decided to take it back by making it ironically racist.
Hilary Clinton called it a hate symbol.
People saw this and unironically ran with it.

Also, see what happened to the facebook Trash Dove....

Top Bottom