• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2015 - Making promising projects a reality...again

First Wonder campaign will be canceled within the next 1-2 days. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roguerocket/first-wonder/posts/1383913
Sad but for the best.

Damn. I was thinking about making a video about that one, it's one of the projects I've been genuinely interested in even while I knew the campaign was doomed to fail. I even bought Giants: Citizen Kabuto and started playing it. The old game looks incredibly similar to First Wonder's gameplay. But it's very old fashioned, even on the PS2 it feels like a PS1 game. I think only the hardcore fans of Giants would be able to appreciate First Wonder and I don't think there's anywhere near enough of them to break $500k. I'm glad they're not giving up because the game could be good dumb fun.

3 programmers, 3 artists, 1 designer, and 1 QA seems like a pretty reasonable 8 person team to me.

I've only been following indies in the past couple years so I could be wrong, but it still looks like too many mouths to feed and not enough bread to go around, even if they were to make it to $100k. I hope they can get some big media coverage because the wacky premise for this game was just made for a Kotaku article. I honestly do want to see the game made, but there's just too much grey area with their pitch. I'd be willing to buy this game once it's ready but I'm not willing to pay $15 today for the inevitable delays while a small programming team with no PC experience fumbles through dynamic AI design.

What's your channel? I like following channels from GAFfers.

Here's my channel. Thanks!

I've covered a few gaming related Kickstarter products in the past. But I was recently able to get a big surge in subscribers after covering the Retro VGS crowdfunding campaign. I'm taking that as a sign that the viewers want to see more crowdfunding content and I'm hoping to keep the momentum going by making more videos about this topic that I enjoy following in my free time anyways. So for the next few weeks I'm going to be experimenting with more coverage of crowdfunding topics. I was hoping to incorporate First Wonder into one of those videos, and I still might but it seems much less relevant at this point. But just to give you a little teaser... expect a video next week about fig.co

Since this is a Kickstarter thread and I mentioned my channel, I hope no one minds me shamelessly spamming my old videos that cover products that began their life on Kickstarter, so here ya go:

The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers

GameStick

RETRO Video Game Magazine, Year One

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS

iMpulse Bluetooth Controller

Fear and Loathing in Retro Land... and other assorted fairy tales (more Retro VGS coverage)

Added to Ongoing

Haque
An old-school fantasy Roguelike RPG about a divine pact, a wager, and an ancient computer.
hkj8JE8.png

Magic Lost
An adorably cute, fiendishly clever, point-and-click adventure! Use your wits and magic to solve puzzles and battle wizards!
7NTTzXa.png

FORCED: Eternal Arenas
Diablo meets Hearthstone in a 3D action brawler with deckbuilding - from the creators of FORCED.
NQOCkgX.gif

Wanderer
An episodic 2D adventure game blending cinematic platformer and RPG into an immersive and beautiful lo-fi sci-fi universe.
ANBWet7.png

Baku Baku Revival
The remake of a classical SEGA game from our childhood, updated to a modern gaming audience, including online multiplayer.
4OKRBhD.jpg

The Forgotten Dungeon
An online & offline co-op dungeon crawler, featuring custom characters & dungeons, inspired by Zelda, roguelikes, and beat 'em up games
eegKT3Q.png

41AOrpi.png

The Nullpoint
Guide the remaining survivors through the sprawling passageways of the Nullpoint. Explore, scavenge, and survive long enough, and you may uncover the story of the ill-fated expeditions, and the dark secrets of the Nullpoint itself.
YciDWCv.gif

Friday the 13th: The Game
Friday the 13th: The Game is a third-person, asymmetrical multiplayer title where one player controls Jason Voorhees while the remaining seven control camp counselors trying to survive the night.
x5qtdtK.png

Hello, Neighbor!
Hello, Neighbor! is a first-person tactical thriller puzzler with a tricky self-studying A.I. as an opponent
k0lsykA.gif

Memoranda
A point & click adventure game with a touch of magical realism!
SpaghettiHome.jpg

Did anyone back the Lioness kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967459848/lioness

I didn't myself, but I got to thinking about it recently, because I remember it getting a lot of recommendations from different gaming sites. But no one seem to remember it now, where it seems to be a failure - 15 months without any updates, and project creator who just answers all questions if it's still happening with a simple "yes", without any specific details at all.

If it is indeed still a project that lives, then the creator is still failing when it comes to handling the proper communication that you can demand for a crowdfunded project.

Ravidrath

Searched and nothing came up, so...

Shameless plug, but our Indiegogo campaign is live now - wish I'd known about this thread sooner!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-a-2d-rpg-for-ps4-xb1-win-mac-linux/x/2363858#/

Indivisible is a game inspired by Valkyrie Profile. We're looking to raise $1.5M, so that our publishing partner, 505 Games, will give us the rest of the $2M we need to finish the game.

We've laid out the budget and our publishing partnership and are trying to be as transparent and honest as business allows. Which is actually quite a bit, thanks to 505's support.

Most importantly, though, there is a playable prototype. You can download it now here:

http://www.indivisiblegame.com/?page=3

The prototype is currently available for Windows and Linux, and will be coming to Mac soon... probably tomorrow.

The prototype took us about three months of hard work to make, and it's pretty damned fun and polished for that amount of development time, if I do say so myself. We felt that it would be better to put all the money others might put into making the campaign into making something people could play.

While the prototype is already pretty fun, there's more we want to work on. The 3D backgrounds aren't where we want them to be yet, and we have a lot more in the way of battle mechanics that we'd like to add in the final game, not to mention levels and characters.

So maybe think of this as the first dungeon / tutorial in a much larger game.

I'll be subscribing to the thread, and am happy to answer any questions people have about the game, the budget, etc.

Thanks!

Added to Ongoing

Doko Roko
Doko Roko is a 2D rogue-like, vertical action game with an emphasis on lightning-fast combat and rich atmosphere
Collect strange and ancient magicks to do battle with the more hostile denizens of The Tower. Wield massive swords forged from meteorites and cursed earth to slay the many dreaming demons who climb the tower alongside you. A frenetic and responsive combat system that is easy to pick up, but difficult to master.

2ddlkWy.gif

mauaus

Searched and nothing came up, so...

Shameless plug, but our Indiegogo campaign is live now - wish I'd known about this thread sooner!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-a-2d-rpg-for-ps4-xb1-win-mac-linux/x/2363858#/

Indivisible is a game inspired by Valkyrie Profile. We're looking to raise $1.5M, so that our publishing partner, 505 Games, will give us the rest of the $2M we need to finish the game.

We've laid out the budget and our publishing partnership and are trying to be as transparent and honest as business allows. Which is actually quite a bit, thanks to 505's support.

Most importantly, though, there is a playable prototype. You can download it now here:

http://www.indivisiblegame.com/?page=3

The prototype is currently available for Windows and Linux, and will be coming to Mac soon... probably tomorrow.

The prototype took us about three months of hard work to make, and it's pretty damned fun and polished for that amount of development time, if I do say so myself. We felt that it would be better to put all the money others might put into making the campaign into making something people could play.

While the prototype is already pretty fun, there's more we want to work on. The 3D backgrounds aren't where we want them to be yet, and we have a lot more in the way of battle mechanics that we'd like to add in the final game, not to mention levels and characters.

So maybe think of this as the first dungeon / tutorial in a much larger game.

I'll be subscribing to the thread, and am happy to answer any questions people have about the game, the budget, etc.

Thanks!

Backed!

I really dont understand how a game barely in its concept stages like Friday the 13th gets funded so fast and how this game with an incredibly polished demo, from a known developer is going so slow (although im sure it will make it)

draetenth

Backed!

I really dont understand how a game barely in its concept stages like Friday the 13th gets funded so fast and how this game with an incredibly polished demo, from a known developer is going so slow (although im sure it will make it)

Some people are refusing to back simply because it isn't on kickstarter (much like some people won't buy games anywhere other than Steam). Some people seem to be turned off by the fact that the lowest tier to get the game is $30.

FWIW, I'm not one of those. I backed it as soon as it went live. :)

Some people are refusing to back simply because it isn't on kickstarter (much like some people won't buy games anywhere other than Steam). Some people seem to be turned off by the fact that the lowest tier to get the game is $30.

FWIW, I'm not one of those. I backed it as soon as it went live. :)

I noticed this project a while back and I'm not really into RPGs but I'm going to give the demo a chance tonight.

But have they said why they went to Indiegogo? I don't have a problem with it but it's a strange choice.

draetenth

I noticed this project a while back and I'm not really into RPGs but I'm going to give the demo a chance tonight.

But have they said why they went to Indiegogo? I don't have a problem with it but it's a strange choice.

Well, reading through the thread on Indivisible, the main reasons seem to be that indiegogo takes a smaller cut (I think early on it's stated that it's like 2% less) of the final funds and they give the developers the money quicker than kickstarter.

At least, that's according to this post.

That and iirc they successfully funded Skullgirls through indiegogo so there is some familiarity with the platform.

Rotondo

Neo Member
Thanks for adding my game to the list of ongoing kickstarters, but the name is actualy The Forgettable Dungeon not Forgotten.

Also here's a cooler gif of the game if you want to switch it out,

HSkWH4O.gif

But yeah we're already 90% of the way there after only 9 days so that's pretty exciting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rotondo/forgettabledungeon

Someone even put up a gif of the game on r/gaming and it amassed 200,000 views.

Did anyone back the Lioness kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967459848/lioness

I didn't myself, but I got to thinking about it recently, because I remember it getting a lot of recommendations from different gaming sites. But no one seem to remember it now, where it seems to be a failure - 15 months without any updates, and project creator who just answers all questions if it's still happening with a simple "yes", without any specific details at all.

If it is indeed still a project that lives, then the creator is still failing when it comes to handling the proper communication that you can demand for a crowdfunded project.

I didn't back it either but I was recently talking to my friend about that game, neither of us had heard anything about it in a long long time.

I wonder what happened.

31% achieved for the first week for us, it's not so bad but it's starting to stall... If you have any recommendations on where to promote our project, im all ears! :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231806848/wanderer-2

Congrats on the success so far, I really love the look of the game.

Hopefully some more news sites pick up on it soon.

I'm not sure what point in development you're at but have you tried any youtubers or streamers yet?

Thanks for adding my game to the list of ongoing kickstarters, but the name is actualy The Forgettable Dungeon not Forgotten.

Also here's a cooler gif of the game if you want to switch it out,

HSkWH4O.gif

But yeah we're already 90% of the way there after only 9 days so that's pretty exciting.

Someone even put up a gif of the game on r/gaming and it amassed 200,000 views.

I didn't back it either but I was recently talking to my friend about that game, neither of us had heard anything about it in a long long time.

I wonder what happened.

Congrats on the success so far, I really love the look of the game.

Hopefully some more news sites pick up on it soon.

I'm not sure what point in development you're at but have you tried any youtubers or streamers yet?

Looks super cool. Starred.

31% achieved for the first week for us, it's not so bad but it's starting to stall... If you have any recommendations on where to promote our project, im all ears! :)

Your game will be part of my Kickstarter Picks article for November, so hopefully that will help a bit. Though that won't be live until November 5-7. So to help in the present, I'll just do a simple news/report about the Kickstarter this weekend.

slages

Neo Member
Your game will be part of my Kickstarter Picks article for November, so hopefully that will help a bit. Though that won't be live until November 5-7. So to help in the present, I'll just do a simple news/report about the Kickstarter this weekend.

Thanks a lot! :)

Oh man, didn't realize you guys were on GAF! Been following Wanderer for a while looks awesome. Backed!

Thanks man!

slages

Neo Member
Added to Ongoing

Wanderer

I liked the music in their trailer and thought it looked interesting so I backed it. I think it's strange that it hasn't made the halfway point yet with only 15 days to go. Is it a matter of people not knowing about it, or is it lack of interest?

Thanks a lot for backing! We've got a really good conversion rate between people going to the page and backing, so it's mostly a matter of spreading the word out!

Added to Ongoing

Fat Mask
A fast-paced arcade puzzle brawler in which you compete from 1-4 players to create and STEAL your friends’ Monster Combos!
l41lW8apVjHNmNy24.gif

Valthirian Arc: Red Covenant
Valthirian Arc: Red Covenant is an action-packed magical school simulator with a classic JRPG twist. You play the principal of an academy, tasked with training your students to save the world, all while finding missing cats, delivering love letters, and helping elderly ladies to cross the road... oh and fighting monsters.
f2edf739266205674788d2ru2b.gif

War of Rights
War of Rights is a multiplayer game set during the perilous days of the American Civil War, in the Maryland Campaign of September, 1862
b373e91ab17fc1f5ff4d6txo3z.jpg

Super Axe Boy
Super Axe Boy is a stirring platform game that combines awesome 2D and 3D gameplay, memorable characters and a unique graphical aesthetic.
3ZfqxEG.gif

Infinity: Battlescape
An epic space sim where 100's of players wage war across a seamless, procedurally generated, true to scale solar system!
action2.gif

Puzzle Depot
In Puzzle Depot, you start out as Todd Torial, Box Pusher 3rd Class, who's just been “volunteered” as a test subject for the facility's CryoFreeze program. When he wakes up, he finds the facility is in chaos. As you navigate your new, more dangerous world, you realize it's not just the facility that's fallen to ruin, but the entire planet.
UxbSZtJ.gif

Labyrinth
With Labyrinth, embark on a new Collectible Card Game (CCG) adventure: Assemble powerful decks of Heroes to invade rival dungeons and engage in epic player vs. player 3D battles--then, use the loot from your conquests to customize your own dungeon and put together a powerful deck of bosses, minions, and traps to defend your riches at all costs.
KXjqlRd.gif

Pankapu: the Dreamkeeper
On stormy nights, children are told the story of Pankapu: the Dreamkeeper. A narrative action/platformer in 2D designed as a tale
uLdWQ9m.gif

The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain
A re-imagining of the Fighting Fantasy adventures as a rich new digital tabletop RPG with miniatures and multiple character paths.
zx15wIJ.gif

Dad Quest
Play as an ordinary Dad raising its Child. Earn Badges, unlock abilities, and yearn for something more. On your journey, uncover secrets and realize your true potential.
With the energy absorbed from defeated creatures, upgrade your child and acquire new skills. As you travel, find and equip items known as toys and heirlooms to improve your Dadly Arsenal.

vuE1yiR.gif

Tamanator

At PAX Australia over the past weekend I came across an Indie title Death Stair which is being developed by a group of students from the AIE in Canberra, Australia. They currently have a kickstarter running to fund the game.

vTeaMD.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...petitive-multiplayer-stair-climbi/description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQDIq1aJ6Y

It is a 'multiplayer stair climbing game', modelled after 3v1 Mario Party minigames where one player is tasked with using a variety of projectiles to stop the other three players from racing to the top of the stairs. It was surprisingly my game of the show, primarily due to the chaotic fun it provided. I have not had this much fun with a competitive local multiplayer game for many years. I would highly recommend checking it out. They are asking for $12,000 AUD to continue development, primarily to fund dev kits so they can make console releases a reality. It would be a perfect release for the Wii U, allowing for 5 player local multiplayer, something which the team have hinted at.

The full release promises a variety of other weapons, game modes and greater customability of runners. There is a demo available on the kickstarter which I would highly recommend trying out if you happen to have a group of friends on standby.

Added to Upcoming
The Center - 2015
A 3D "shifting isometric" Sci-Fi Action / Adventure game, featuring a unique alien duo within a dark story and immersive atmosphere.
ww94lC3.gif

Added to Ongoing
Death Stair
Think of it like 3D NES Donkey Kong with 4 players but instead of a giant monkey throwing barrels, it's a deranged psychopath in a cannon firing beach balls to stop you from reaching the top of a seemingly never ending stair case.
8V7R9sM.gif

Failsafe
Failsafe is a first person parkour adventure game reminiscent of the fluidity of Journey, the monolithic scale of Shadow of the Colossus, and the stylization of Hayao Miyazaki.
DN7y20j.gif

Help Kill Screen Reinvent Their Magazine
The best game magazine ever is getting best-er, but we need your help.
2Akqo5o.jpg

Das-J

Law of the West
Hey all,

We just dropped a huge update for Into the Stars that adds Difficulty Settings, Dynamic Patrols and overhauls Trading

Full Details Here

Thanks to everyone on this thread who backed us!

YRohKeL.gif

Cronen

So I've had a look over my previous backed games, and one that sticks out is Auditorium 2: Duet. The game was initially due to be released around October 2012, but got pushed back.

The developers stated they would provide monthly updates, and as it stands they appear to come every couple of months. Last update to backers was in August. Finally, they also stated the game would be released by/around October 22nd. Obviously, that has come and gone with no indication of the game being even finished. I imagine backers (myself included) are rather frustrated.

So I've had a look over my previous backed games, and one that sticks out is Auditorium 2: Duet. The game was initially due to be released around October 2012, but got pushed back.

The developers stated they would provide monthly updates, and as it stands they appear to come every couple of months. Last update to backers was in August. Finally, they also stated the game would be released by/around October 22nd. Obviously, that has come and gone with no indication of the game being even finished. I imagine backers (myself included) are rather frustrated.
And the update came today that they're scrapping everything once again and starting over. And well past their budget. So I wouldn't expect it for a few more years now. But hey, at least the higher tier backers got their tshirts. And a completely unrelated game that we didn't want for free.

What's funny about this one failing is that some game news sites were even raising awareness on the last few days of it to get it funded since it was close to coming short.

Huge congrats to slages, Wanderer hit their goal the other day.

Still has 19 hours to go.

----

Also my Kickstarter just hit the final 48 hours a little while ago, made a special gif to celebrate.

Thanks for all the support guys.

I am going to enjoy sleeping in the day after the Kickstarter lol.

I've gotta say... I'm still not sure what makes your game different. I like the style. Sell me, merchant.

Tizoc

Wanderer is $10K away from achieving its PS4/Vita stretch goal. Don't think we could see that happen with 9 hours remaining but doing my part and spreading the word about it :X

Megauap

Wanderer is $10K away from achieving its PS4/Vita stretch goal. Don't think we could see that happen with 9 hours remaining but doing my part and spreading the word about it :X

Would really like to back it if the PS4 stretch goal is reached. Hoping for the best!

Rotondo

Neo Member
I've gotta say... I'm still not sure what makes your game different. I like the style. Sell me, merchant.

Honestly probably the online co-op.

There's been a lot of action roguelike games in the vain of spelunky or isaac, but as far as I know most are not co-op or just local co-op.

The game also features a lot of customizability, the only game that really compares to it is 3D Dot Game Heroes in look and feel.

Rotondo

Neo Member
That game looks amazing! I hadn't noticed it until now!

You might not get HP_Wuvcraft, but you did get me as a backer.

Thanks man!

One hour left on the Kickstarter, I'm happy it did so well but I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

It's surprising how tiring running a Kickstarter can be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659894998/failsafe?ref=thanks

Failsafe looks fun, but not likely to get funded. :-(

Thanks! Yeah, the KS is not getting as much traction as we would have liked unfortunately, but we remain positive for the game's future still!

I didn't want to bump the Failsafe thread in case it's against the rules somehow, but I do have a bit of substantial news regarding the development of the game.

We announced a third person mode recently. Here's a link to the update on the KS update
...and here's a gif showing the 3rd person mode in action!

DeadlyFantasticArcticfox.gif

Thanks to everyone that has supported our campaign this month!

Added to Ongoing

Dark Flame
Dark Flame is a MetroidVania, Action-RPG, Storyline-based fantasy where you play as a knight who is constantly being drawn to darkness.
85fc058eef142395c398322919c94002_original_thumb.gif

Song of Horror
Song of Horror is a heavily story-driven third person survival horror combining automated camera angles and an inspiration in the old school classics with modern design, mechanics and visuals, evocative of mankind’s eternal fear of what cannot be understood.
DefenselessGrippingHawaiianmonkseal.gif

Pankapu: the Dreamkeeper
On stormy nights, children are told the story of Pankapu: the Dreamkeeper. A narrative action/platformer in 2D designed as a tale.
PANKAPU_peppyniere_screen07.png

Blacksea Odyssey
Blacksea Odyssey is a 2D top-down shoot ’em up with RPG and rogue-like elements.
Enter a vast chasm between space and time brimming with colossal creatures and runic technologies.

BareInfatuatedIndigowingedparrot.gif

The Last Shore
A girl must sail across the ocean, visiting islands and collecting powerful artifacts, to confront the gods and save her family.
TheLastShore_ss10.png

The Great Whale Road
The Great Whale Road is a medieval RPG with turn-based tactics, cards and axes.
Combat_Screen_0.png

Top Bottom