• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising was released 10 years ago

Aldric

It's already been a decade since the revival of one of Nintendo's historical franchises and what a game that was.

IzP9G1x.jpg

Probably one of the most ambitious Nintendo games ever and certainly the most ambitious mobile game at the time, Uprising is still a curiosity ten years later. A unique mix between a rail shooter and a third person shooter/beat em up, it's a deceptively simple action game that hides a surprising amount of depth under its simplistic (and controversial) controls. If the air sections are relatively classic if spectacular and intense rail shooter experiences the ground gameplay is a completely original take on the shooter genre. There's no cover system here, instead the game is entirely based around movement and precise aiming thanks to the touchpad controls. Somehow similar to Smash Bros mechanics, Pit can dash with a flick of the analog stick which grants him a comfortable amount of invincibility frames. He can't abuse it though because there's an invisible stamina bar that depletes everytime he dashes, and Iframes get progressively shorter after each dash.

Dashes aren't simply defensive though, since the nature of the shots fired by Pit will depend on the direction in which he dashed. There's also a mechanic where weapons automatically charge a shot after a set amount of time. So in total there's 8 different types of shots possible (neutral shot, forward shot, side shot, backward shot, same with charged shots) each with different effects, trajectories, speed and power. On top of that there's a melee component to the combat offering possible combos with ranged attacks and a special stinger move that allows you to close the distance with the opponent, and a bunch of other subtleties like the fact weapons have a stat called shot cancellation that allows them to cancel enemy projectiles by shooting them down, an ukemi mechanic, or the entire powers system that allows you to customize your playstyle with additional limited abilities such as giant lasers, healing spells or movement buffs. Oh and of course there's a total of 108 weapons in the game, each with their own characteristics which drastically change the gameplay depending on which one you use. All of this combined creates an intense, lightning fast and pretty demanding experience especially at the highest difficulty levels:

Because yes there's multiple difficulty levels, it even has one of the best difficulty sliders I've ever seen in a videogame. Basically you can customize the level of challenge before every chapter by using the ingame currency you get from defeating enemies to "bet" on a difficulty level. The more money you use the harder the game is but also the more money and the better loot you get. The slider goes from 0.0 where the game basically plays itself to 9.0 where the challenge becomes bullet hell level. Die once though and the difficulty automatically is lowered by an entire point along with the quality of the loot you got. So if you want to beat levels at the highest difficulty you basically have to one shot them. No second chance.

Presentation wise the game is also top notch, with plenty of great setpieces during the rail shooting sections and great art direction by the character designer of Order of Ecclesia. The OST is also brilliant with a lot of memorable tunes in a variety of genres composed by a team of all stars japanese artists like Motoi Sakuraba or Yuzo Koshiro:

Narrative wise the title also does very interesting things. There's a lot of story in the game, the script is massive. Characters have tons of lines of dialogue, including a lot of entertaining banter, but the narrative side never conflicts with interactivity because it always takes place during gameplay. Characters comment and discuss about in game events while you're playing and it never gets distracting because it's always timed in order to happen during a downtime or when you're fighting against relatively easy opponents.

I could also spend a lot of time talking about the robust multiplayer or all the sidecontent like unlockables figurines, dioramas and artwork, the achievements (some of them utterly brutal), the boss rush mode etc but this is already long enough so I'll stop here. Great fucking game and here's hoping Nintendo's knack for rehashing old games makes it land on Switch in HD with more traditional controls so that this masterpiece gets the recognition it deserves.

Last edited:
One of my favorite games of all time, and I can't believe it's been 10 years already.... The story, characters, and gameplay were just so good. I still hold some hope during every Nintendo direct for some sort of port announcement (or... the real dream: Saukrai returning to direct a sequel).

I'm also glad you highlighted the soundtrack: the music in this game absolutely fantastic. I even imported the physical CD release because I loved it so much.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, could not play this game for shit cause I'm a lefty. I think they incorporated that frankenstick attachment but never got around to actually getting one.

Seemed like a really cool game but the controls were truly awful for me and I just couldn't play it in a meaningful way. :messenger_weary:

I should watch a Let's Play of it.

Banned
I still haven't played it even tho I always wanted to...
sounds annoying to control tho if you don't have one of those of DS thumb numbs lying around somewhere, because playing that with a stylus or using your bare thumb on a pressure sensitive touch screen both sounds like a pain in the ass

Last edited:

Majukun

the fact that of all the games nintendo ported, this one didn't get a re-release baffles me.
Would have loved to play the game without the actual physical pain that comes with it on 3ds

Fbh

Love this game. The gameplay was a ton of fun, the visuals were really nice for the 3DS (great use of 3D too), it has a fun plot with charming characters and fun fourth wall breaking humor as well as a god tier OST (best OST nintendo has ever made IMO outside of compilation stuff like Smash).

Oh also best Nintendo Villains, I'd much rather fight Hades again than boring ass Ganon for the 30th time.
de0ef6f3b13913c8e8e680da95b97a066ce87657.gifv

It sucks it will probably die with the 3DS. Would love a sequel or at least a port on Switch.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I really should have bought a 3ds after I stopped playing the DS just to have a console to play those games and get the others like this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Kid Icarus Uprising is on of my favourite 3DS game and unlike most people I had no issue with controls because it controlled exactly like Metroid Prime Hunter on DS.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

This game is gem.
Also, the epic soundtrack is AWESOME !
I listen to it until this day, I still can't believe it was made "only" for a 3DS game.

#3DS4EVER 💖

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Man oh man, I remember this game destroying my hand because Nintendo wanted to force innovation with controls over having something that felt natural to play.

As someone who was left handed it was a nightmare to play, because guess what... the set up only worked well for right handed people...

It was a much better game than Starfox zero, there other game where they tried to fuck with controls for the sake of it however.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Amazing game, but yes it's practically a carpal tunnel generator for left handers. I want to dig out my 3DS and play it again though.

drotahorror

It was quite uncomfortable to play for long periods of time but it was an amazing game for sure. It would have translated well to the Wii U and I was disappointed they never remastered it.

ParaSeoul

Best 3DS game and the controls were good. Don't think Nintendo will ever make another game close to this one anytime soon unless Sakurai decides he wants to leave the Smash dungeon.

Aldric

And it had a control scheme that felt like it was from 10 years before that.

(jokes…I think)
The controls are of course the biggest controversy about the game and I understand that they made the game unplayable for a lot of people (personally I never had serious problems with them even if they could get uncomfortable after playing for a while) but the game wouldn't be what it is without them. Stylus aiming allows for the kind of speed and precision a dual stick setup would never be able to replicate without massive amounts of aim assist. Splatoon style gyro aiming would be much closer but I'm not even convinced it'd be a perfect alternative.

Zannegan

This is a game that would do well with a PC port. The control scheme was basically just trying to ape mouse and keyboard. I hope against hope that the Switch 2's joycons have Steam Deck-style touchpads.

tassletine

Game was superb and very underrated. The control system, despite the pain, was excellent and unique. The precision and speed you could get with it were unmatched.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I vaguely remember this physically hurting my hands to play, I'm left handed, might have something to do with it.

tassletine

The controls are of course the biggest controversy about the game and I understand that they made the game unplayable for a lot of people (personally I never had serious problems with them even if they could get uncomfortable after playing for a while) but the game wouldn't be what it is without them. Stylus aiming allows for the kind of speed and precision a dual stick setup would never be able to replicate without massive amounts of aim assist. Splatoon style gyro aiming would be much closer but I'm not even convinced it'd be a perfect alternative.
I agree. Once the controls clicked they were godly. So intense.

Top Bottom