• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids movies that were too scary for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

I was terrified by the evil giants in the BFG as a kid

600full-the-bfg-poster.jpg

I was 10 when I saw this:

Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets_movie.jpg

I had to leave the cinema.

Kabuto

MV5BMTI5NjE4NzM4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTc5MDEzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Looking back this movie is actually not that bad or scary, but when I was a little kid, the Commando Elites scared me more than they should have.

small_soldier2.jpg

The guy on the upper left was the worst one. Those eyes...

My kid got really upset at the Jake & The Neverland Pirate episode where in "Bucky" the ship, disappeared.

How can we say goodbye to our bessst freiiind Bucckkyy

Disney likes to rough kids up I have decided, both visually and emotionally

Kinyou

The Animals of Farthing Wood. It isn't a movie, but a TV-episode and every couple of episodes a character is killed in a brutal way. For instance this is how they kill the baby mice that were born one episode before. One character gets killed by a friend eating it. A whopping 23 on-screen main character deaths according to Cracked; not bad for a three-season show. (The cast at the start of the show: 29, the survivors of those at the end:8)

124715_v1.jpg
Man that show was fucked up.

Everything just kept getting worse and worse.

When I was little I recall being very scared by some of the characters in The Wizard of Oz.
The witch, and the flying monkeys come to mind.

And looking back, I still think that was a dark movie.

Jarnet87

holy fuk Little Monsters is creepy, will never watch that movie again. Dark Crystal too.

Saw A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey, that crap is a horror film.

christmas-carol-jim-carrey-2-1024x497.jpg

Jim Carreys creepy face in a candle, all thats missing is the ominous music and pop outs.

Xero

Probably because he is not an original Disney character. I'd put him up there with Maleficient though.

How many disney villains are truly original though? They are generally at least based on the bad guy from the original story their movie is based on.

Did someone say Iron Giant yet? That movie scared the crap out of me when I was younger. I couldn't even watch it because I was scared of the robot. A couple of my friends were too.

ibcZQdV7fTCBti.jpg

Just look at him! Scary as heck to me when I was a kid.

Gremlins is definitely too scary for kids (the first one is a genuinely scary movie, the second one is a comedy). But it's also not quite a "kids movie" even though it was originally rated PG.

Labyrinth and Neverending Story are scary, but not too scary. What I mean is, they scared me and it stuck with me, but that's not a bad thing. It's good for kids to have a healthy fear of wolves. To this day I know not to search out and explore wolf caves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom