• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER IS DEAD |OT| LOVE AND KILL

Persona7

Banned
Hey Guys, I decided I would make some GIFs for Killer is Dead as I play, thought you might be interested :)
z8xQh8B.gif
Well, Mondo is, at least...

Link for collection: http://imgur.com/a/4zbWR#0

If you want hi-res gifs of this collection, click here for a 135MB ZIP file
Awesome!

I am trying that tomorrow.

I personally find it better than Weight Lift. It's easy to mess up and take a hit in Weight lift causing only a 600k reward and more time used.

Also, you're the OP I believe, I should apologize for calling your op boring. I was raging at the storyline of this game but I realized I've been spoiled by such simplistic story lines from previous games that I expected to understand everything in 1 play through. I'd easily consider this a top game in my collection, above lollipop chainsaw (said it was under LC =/).
inb4BackPeddling

I may start a story discussion thread in the future if it's worth it. It'd be nice for everyone to understand it.

Finished it 2 days ago and some annoying passages aside, I loved every minute of it. It really irks me that this game gets so overlooked. It's a short game, but well worth the money if you dig the artstyle and atmosphere.

More important: Does any of you fellow KiD-lovers know how the song is called that plays during the Victor battle, 3rd form? I'm talking about this crazy techno tune...of course it's not on the OST that came with the game >_>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, how do I get an AAA on Time Cursed? The more stealthy I am, I somehow get a WORSE grade.

Edit: & I guess Bug Hunt as well.

Holy crap, how do I get an AAA on Time Cursed? The more stealthy I am, I somehow get a WORSE grade.

Edit: & I guess Bug Hunt as well.

Are you aware of the secret bonus conditions? For the doll one you should complete it without attacking any enemies. As for the bug one I think you need to avoid any damage and use guard break 15-30 times or something. Hit L2/R2 while looking at the mission status on the world map for those bonus conditions.

You get more points for speed too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I got the Ghost Bonus in Time Cursed & even did multiple attempts to take no damage in Bug Hunt (though I'll try using guard break as well). Even on Easy, getting AAAs can be annoying. Though wasn't aware of holding down both buttons for the mission status. Sometimes, I manage to get AAAs without doing the secret bonuses.

Gbraga

What is the loading screen song? I love that song.

And the Best Friends Play series is just getting better and better.

I'm currently replaying the game on Very Hard for trophies and it seems...doable? Some annoying parts aside (and some bosses having 1-hit kills) it's really not that difficult. Note that I'm not really an expert on action games - I'm like okay at them, nothing to write home about.

The thing I noticed is that I often run out of blood during boss fights. Especially the last mission on Very Hard was such a pain in the ass due to this...am I doing it wrong?

Edit: And screw Mission 11, that sure took forever on Very Hard and it wasn't even difficult to begin with, just tedious.

Persona7

Banned
Damn it, I screwed myself.

I was replaying chapter 7 and I was getting the scroll in the back area near the little house and one of those eyeball things followed me in as I triggered it and then I turned around and see four of them now along with the three other enemies that spawned.

No tickets!

Tizoc

Half way there, as I just unlocked Mission 7. Enjoying it for the most PART, Mission 5
threw me off guard, seems it was just a Boss Battle but with some funky twist lol

I've used up maybe 5 or so Mika Tickets, really should've used one or two during the first boss battle but whatevs.

cj_iwakura

KiD get. $45 since I signed up for GameStop's Pro membership with the LE and everything.

(They had to override it but hey.)

Will start after I finish Sniper Elite V2.

Tizoc

PS3 ver. has sold at least 40,000 units based on its leaderboards, could someone with the 360 ver. check the leaderboards and see how many were registered?

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Haven't beat it yet but I love KiD. Best Suda game since NMH2. I don't think he'll ever reach the greatness that was Killer 7 again though...

cj_iwakura

I agree sadly, but if we can get a good campy/serious game like NMH1 again, I'll be okay with that.

OST sounds unique, didn't touch the artbook.

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Like I said I haven't finished KiD yet but I really like the story. It actually seems like a mix between the low brow humor of NMH with the surreal atmosphere of Killer 7.

PS3 ver. has sold at least 40,000 units based on its leaderboards, could someone with the 360 ver. check the leaderboards and see how many were registered?

Just checked global leaderboards, 17,695.
I'm in the top 150 at least.
So bout 57,000+ total worldwide sales.

It was an awesome game, just got 1000g on the Xbox version. I actually do feel like I have achieved something. Normally I am awful at this genre of games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Was that a egregious Bad Boys 2/Bay reference this post-Giant cutscene just shot me?

I don't even know what to think of this game. It borders hot mess at such high frequency, but hasn't quite yet reached that "oh fucking Grasshopper" level of janky bad in a level quite yet (although optional missions like the motorbike one certainly qualify)

Oh wait, I forget sometimes that the camera is unrelenting ass.

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode 6.

I think this could've easily been NMH3. It's that good.

Probably going to wind up topping NMH2 for me, mostly because of how classy Mondo is and the general insanity that NMH2 lacked.

cj_iwakura

As much as I love the grindhouse-style chapter titles, it's nigh impossible to read them, so I paused a recording.

They look like screenplay excerpts of what goes on in the prelude.

cj_iwakura

Finished Episode 51. Not that hard, though the dungeon part was hell as far as finding my way around.

Didn't have much trouble with the boss, thanks to OP healing upgrade.

Totally need to make wine coolers from 400 year old vintage.

Tizoc

Gonna beat Ch. 12 tomorrow.

What's a good place to farm headshot kills? and for that matter, how do I get Mondo to trigger them? I keep dodging while gunmen are aiming and shooting at me but Mondo never goes into the headshot counter trigger...

cj_iwakura

What's a good place to farm headshot kills? and for that matter, how do I get Mondo to trigger them? I keep dodging while gunmen are aiming and shooting at me but Mondo never goes into the headshot counter trigger...

I got a few at the Music challenge stage, when they're standing still shooting at you.

Also, I swear that font or location is a Killer7 reference, it looks very familiar.

There is a specific Scarlet challenge you can farm, 25 headshots to complete challenge.
I'm not sure what one it is, I can check later.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finished.

I assume Suda51 had some form of fucked up alcohol induced fever dream and hoped jotting it down the morning after would be the job done for his next games plot. Jobs a goodun, time to collect that paycheque.

I can't think of much else I've experienced that had a less cohesive plot to it that just didn't fucking go anywhere at all. I feel bad for everyone involved that had to grin and nod and pretend any of this made sense and that we'rent pissing into a hurricane.

Combat was alright at times though! Still: fuck Suda.

Astarte

Finished.

I assume Suda51 had some form of fucked up alcohol induced fever dream and hoped jotting it down the morning after would be the job done for his next games plot. Jobs a goodun, time to collect that paycheque.

I can't think of much else I've experienced that had a less cohesive plot to it that just didn't fucking go anywhere at all. I feel bad for everyone involved that had to grin and nod and pretend any of this made sense and that we'rent pissing into a hurricane.

The plot isn't hard to understand, it just takes a bit to piece together.
Seriously, it isn't hard to put together at all. Definitely not anywhere near killer7.

Pie and Beans

The plot isn't hard to understand, it just takes a bit to piece together.
Seriously, it isn't hard to put together at all. Definitely not anywhere near killer7.

Explain the Takeru the Unicorn. Go on.

What's there to explain? The plot is all explained, but there is a lot of stuff in there that doesn't need explanation. It just is what it is. The unicorn is one of those things.

Why do stories have to fit a certain mold? You would think we've be over the whole "this doesn't make sense" mentality.

Gbraga

Finished.

Some things in this game you have to just accept as part of that world,
the unicorn
is one of them, it's clearly intended to mess with you and have you trying to figure out its meaning before you accept it just is.

Behind all the crazy shit, there's a really straightforward shounen plot, it's just that you don't get what the plot is until you finish the game, but it's pretty simple, really.

If you change the Unicorn for something more believable, the story would be intact. Hell, they live in the moon and you're complaining about the existence of a unicorn?

Astarte

After all the shit about David and Mondo
being brothers and not being "of this world"
, THAT'S the thing you question? Considering that the unicorn calls Mondo
his master
, one can assume that
the unicorn once belonged to Mondo before his memories got wiped. Not to mention it came to his rescue after David slapped the shit out of his arm, almost instantaneously on the moon.

Pie and Beans

Look, if the best reason for something is "lol random", then you have no business writing professionally or putting your name next to a 'Story' credit. Suda51's previous games at least usually bothered to explain themselves, but I guess he's just got sloppier and lazier as the years tock by.

The Unicorn is just the start really rather than all the other stuff the game just wants you to accept because continuity and plot is hard.
- Moon people.
- Moon River
s
- Mika
is the sun
- Wires.
- Mum murder because of reasons.
- Dream witch.

I waited the whole game for there to be some meaning behind "the job ... Killer Is Dead", but its just Suda51 fetishising some terrible Engrish because it sounded "cool".

Nope, sorry. I'm sure 11-year old me or whatever would get a kick out of "its so random", but this game is an insult to every vaguely sane script or otherwise writer on this planet.

The worst rental I've made in a long while.

Astarte

Look, if the best reason for something is "lol random", then you have no business writing professionally or putting your name next to a 'Story' credit. Suda51's previous games at least usually bothered to explain themselves, but I guess he's just got sloppier and lazier as the years tock by.

The Unicorn is just the start really rather than all the other stuff the game just wants you to accept because continuity and plot is hard.
- Moon people.
- Moon River
s
- Mika
is the sun
- Wires.
- Mum murder because of reasons.
- Dream witch.

I waited the whole game for there to be some meaning behind "the job ... Killer Is Dead", but its just Suda51 fetishising some terrible Engrish because it sounded "cool".

Nope, sorry. I'm sure 11-year old me or whatever would get a kick out of "its so random", but this game is an insult to every vaguely sane script or otherwise writer on this planet.

The worst rental I've made in a long while.

Let's put the Killer is Dead world into perspective here. It's a world where aliens fly about, delivering miniature suns to people who manage to kill a giant baby and where the moon can absorb malice. Not just the concept, but a physical manifestation of malice. It's a pretty odd world.
Already explained the unicorn.
What do you not understand about the moon people? That they can live on the moon? How they got there? Why there are rulers of the moon? Moon River
s
ruling the moon before David's hostile takeover is fine enough to understand.
Mika being the
RULER of the sun
comes down to interpretation. She's
the only one that touches the miniature sun bestowed upon the party by the aliens, which can represent the sun itself.
. It can also be viewed that she's the "sun" in Mondo's life. The flip side to his very dark path. She aids in
restoring Mondo's memories, adding a "guiding light" to his true calling.
Damon also makes it a point to mention keeping a light in Mondo's sight before getting fucked up. I'd imagine it can be a combination of all of these plus her making those eggs.
That soft boiled egg instruction dlc slip made me make some great eggs.
Wires were created by Moon River, before the time of David. Moon River had an agenda to infect as many people as possible with malice, with reasons that may or may not come from wanting to rule the Earth.
David
absolutely trashing his place, killing his mom, and slapping Mondo's arm off all comes from his grand plan. As long-winded as the plan may be, it all comes down to what he wanted. David wanted Mondo to become strong enough to rule the Moon as well as take his revenge against Brian's agency. Note him implanting Mika with Mondo to kickstart his memories, as well as the Dream Lady.
The Dream Woman is someone who was either hired or
constructed by david, either way they're in the same league. The reason for this was to bring back Mondo's muddled memories so that he can eventually confront David in regards to ruling the moon in his place. All of this coming from David wanting Mondo to grow stronger without anything really holding him back, like memories of him coming from the moon.

It sounds like you just have a vendetta against Suda, really.

Tizoc

Having recently beaten the game...I don't quite get what the game's story or premise is, I get that Mondo works for the agency that deals with monsters and the like but what's his relationship with
David and Moon River?
among other things.

Having recently beaten the game...I don't quite get what the game's story or premise is, I get that Mondo works for the agency that deals with monsters and the like but what's his relationship with
David and Moon River?
among other things.

Read the post above yours.

Gbraga

I feel like it may be much easier to understand if you think of it kinda like a spin-off to a series that was never made. The game won't explain every bit of its universe to you, there is a plot that takes place in this crazy world. The plot is explained, the crazy world you just have to accept like you would in a spin-off because it was already there.

I think it's part of the game's charm...

Top Bottom