• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 still has gorgeous graphics

Having recently got myself a PS4 with Killzone Shadow Fall, my first thought was "Well, it kind of looks like a slightly better PS3 Killzone", this was most likely me having rose tinted glasses with when i played Killzone 2 all those years ago.

My brother left his PS3 and K2 round mine recently so i thought i would fire it up (Always had a soft spot for Killzone, and playing the new one made me want to go back to the oldies).

God damn the game still looks great. Textures are obviously not as good as today's standards, and its on 720p, but the image is still quite clean, the lighting, the amount of shit going on on-screen, I am still really impressed with it (shooting Helghast in darkened rooms, being lit up and casting shadows, and also all the debris flying everywhere).

Considering its age i thought it might look a bit naff (Uncharted 1 definitely does now), but nope, Guerrilla did some fine work on there.

Question - Something i notice with many first party PS3 games was .... there's almost always ridiculous amounts of physical stuff going on. Tree leaves moving, bits exploding and leaving debris, smoke and ember and all sorts floating around. Ive noticed this in K2, K3, Uncharted games, Resistance 3 demo, and its looks amazing. When i think back to 360 games, they always seemed to lack this in the same way, almost always a bit static. Am I right in noticing this, or have I not played the right games on the 360 ?

Screenshots courtesy of Timu

iP17gUxdYjpg8.png

iGZgoxNJ83I1e.png

ipB1meAPJzQKo.png

iwXcxErGNNsu.png

ib2036I6lCpALP.png

iL6G4oeQn9F9K.png

ilR3G6N0kYdlH.png

ibvUAW28n2aSvc.png

ilx8N1MGiQn47.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
KZ2 is one of the games that combines tech and art better than almost all others. I miss that level of motion blur in the more recent games.

Having recently finished Shadowfall (meh, it was average) and currently halfway through Mercenaries (which I LOVE), I had a hankering to RTTP with Killzone 2. I had to go out and find a used copy (snagged one for a cool $6).

I was going to do a thread on my RTTP and yes, I am stunned at how well the graphics and game play hold up.

This is a top tier shooter that deserves to be recognized as one of the true classics of the genre.

Watevaman

One of my favorite sci-fi/future games. The art assets were great and I thought it felt perfect in its representation of a war-torn planet. Also helped that it was a competent shooter, too.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I tried playing it the other day. It looks great but the controls are slow and laggy. Almost unplayable.

Ein Bear

Killzone 2 looks much better than Shadowfall, in my opinion. Obviously, Shadowfall is doing much more technically, but KZ2 is a perfect mix of artstyle and tech. Such an amazing looking game.

Aretak

I had a go at playing it again recently and have to agree that it still looks pretty amazing. Sadly, playing it again reminded me why I ditched it the first time. Just can't get on with the controls at all due to the unresponsive feel.

mtodavk

Man, FINALLY I see some Killzone love here. Killzone 2 was easily my favorite FPS on the PS3, and I played the multiplayer forever. I wish Shadowfall could have been more like Killzone 2 in the way that it was presented and in the way that it controlled. I really like the weightiness to the controls of Killzone, and then Shadowfall felt a little too much like COD to me.

not nearly as good as the target render though

also your fov was weird

I don't think any game looks as good as that target render, the animation and smoke/particle effects are just above what anything can probably do, even now (at least with playable framerates). Was a fun time when it was released though :)

Thread talks of graphics, not a screenshot was shown?

If i had direct feed shots, i would have plastered them all over the shop, I am not a fan of posting anything other than these uncompressed. Does anyone have some ?

Jigolo

I also think so but not because of how good it looks technically but how perfectly they captured the atmosphere. My favorite FPS of all time.

Yeah KZ2 was definitely one of the best looking ps3 games, and also had my favorite multiplayer ever for a console shooter. I was highly disappointed in KZ:SF multiplayer after skipping KZ3.

The game had fantastic atmosphere, graphics, physics, and the multiplayer was amazing. I never understood the love for the campaign though. Besides it being a tour to see pretty locations, it was just so...boring. It didn't do anything differently from other shooters and had fairly mundane objectives and set pieces, and the writing was garbage. Also, shadow fall and mercenary control so so soooo much better; they manage to feel punchy and have a sense of weight without your character controlling like a drunk.

I love the motion blur in this game (and other post processing effects too). In motion it's one of the few games that quite often gives you a feeling that you are playing a cg, rather than a game.

It looks really good. What I wouldn't give for a combination of Killzone's 2 graphics competency and Resistance 3's REALLY FUN and varied campaign. I should try to finish K2, I was really close to the end last time I fired it up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yup. Still looks better than Killzone 3 in many ways thanks to the better OBMB.

Hell it is much more graphically impressive than Titanfall is. Which is insane, considering the hardware gap. Even considering scale, 30vs60fps etc.

Stunning game, amazing gameplay.

One of the best shooters ever made.

jett

D-Member
I think Killzone 2 is still the highest example of the perfect mix and execution of technical and art design.

The best game in the series by far, I played the multiplayer with bots for a good while and enjoyed myself! I think GG lost sight of their intentions and let too much of their contemporaries seep into their creative process, 3 was pushing it (with the snowsuit Helgast) but shadowfalls..took everything that made the helghast scary, threw it down an ancient crapper, and turned them into killcats.

Synth

Played a bit of Killzone 3 the other day and realised that the new generation really isn't a generational leap.

I got this when going back to PGR4 the other day. First thoughts were "hey, this actually looks pretty decent still!"... Then I started noticing that there was night racing, that were weather effects, and that there were.. wait for it... FULL 3D FUCKING CROWDS!

Turn 10... wtf?

With that said, I'd still place Killzone 2 amongst the best graphics we saw last gen. Due to its art direction, I expect it to age better than a lot of the generation's other graphical showpieces.

I miss that dark moody feeling of kZ2 , kz sf has a completely different feeling where it is way too bright and more like a cod game. I still feel kz2 had a more realistic feeling than sf

That brown and grey atmosphere made it a perfect realism environment and honestly despite the technical enhancement of sf it looks less realistic

Top Bottom