• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone HD |OT|

I can't believe I had to search for the game so deep in the EU store to find it.... why not on the front page?

anyway.... can't wait to dive into the game for the upcoming days, very excited!

Gadirok

How is the killzone series compared to the Resistance series? I've played each resistance game (singleplayer) but was wondering how the singleplayer campaigns of killzone stack up against resistance?

I already know how the MP is for both.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How is the killzone series compared to the Resistance series? I've played each resistance game (singleplayer) but was wondering how the singleplayer campaigns of killzone stack up against resistance?

Resistance 3>Killzone 2>Killzone 3>Resistance: Fall of Man> Resistance 2

Carl

Certainly not graphics, sound work, frame rate, and control though.

I said graphics was a major improvement in KZ2 so i agree there. Don't really care about sound or framerate - never had a problem with either of those in KZ1 and i was having too much fun to know or care what a framerate was :)

And i never had any problem at all with the controls, if i'm honest

KageMaru

Man, I just...wow. The performance was so terrible. Makes Shadow of the Colossus look like it's running at 60 fps or something in comparison.

I suppose it wasn't really any worse than Perfect Dark or Goldeneye, though, which people obviously didn't have an issue with.

While I agree the performance was horrible, and directly effected the controls, I don't think it was quite as bad as SotC. My memory could be foggy on this though.

I tried so many times to play through KZ but the frame rate, controls, and design issues killed the experience for me. Looked great for a ps2 title and the grittiness of the game was appealing to me back then. Hope to pick this up when I get some extra cash and time to even play it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Resistance 3>Killzone 2>Killzone 3>Resistance: Fall of Man> Resistance 2

Yup. Though I have days where I like Killzone 3 more than 2.

Killzone controlled fine on the PS2 for the time, but I think the third game made a lot of progress. That slide into cover mechanic alone made it hard to go back to Killzone 2.

Also, I just want to clarify that I thought the original Killzone looked, sounded, and played fine at release, but I'm merely comparing it to the latter installments.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I still think the game was a quick cash in. surely they could of implemented a basic havok physics engine into the game?

and dear god the voice acting is the worst I have ever heard. But...BUT! the level design rivals that of half life 2...im not shiting you. its fantastic!

only good think about the game in my opinion.

I mean..back in the day, it was crap, but I knew GG had potential, thats why I am a huge fan.

I would be interested in this, if they put in some effort and made a Halo CE 360 type remake with modern shaders and lighting. But this just looks the PS2 game...not interested at all.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I would be interested in this, if they put in some effort and made a Halo CE 360 type remake with modern shaders and lighting. But this just looks the PS2 game...not interested at all.

To be fair, it actually looks nice. gun models look better than most games this gen, and its quiet a sharp looking game in places. I agree though, they should of done a complete remake and I would of been all over this.

but as it is, its just...really bad, like its comical how dated it is. im telling you though, if they kept the exact same levels, with the physics and intensity of killzone 2 and some next gen graphics...we would have something incredible.

but it just plays too bad to have any real fun. I will complete though, if only for the trophies and admire the level design and atmosphere.

To be fair, it actually looks nice. gun models look better than most games this gen, and its quiet a sharp looking game in places. I agree though, they should of done a complete remake and I would of been all over this.

but as it is, its just...really bad, like its comical how dated it is. im telling you though, if they kept the exact same levels, with the physics and intensity of killzone 2 and some next gen graphics...we would have something incredible.

but it just plays too bad to have any real fun. I will complete though, if only for the trophies and admire the level design and atmosphere.

yea but who buys a remake to stare at good gun models? The game just looks extremely dated, and what's up with the sound?? This looks just as lazy as the Resident Evil 4 "HD remake." I got conned once by Capcom, but I am not falling for this shit again.

But your idea of a full remake using the KZ2 engine is great, I would have bought that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
yea but who buys a remake to stare at good gun models? The game just looks extremely dated, and what's up with the sound?? This looks just as lazy as the Resident Evil 4 "HD remake." I got conned once by Capcom, but I am not falling for this shit again.

But your idea of a full remake using the KZ2 engine is great, I would have bought that.

Yup I completely agree.

KalBalboa

Banned
Any idea how long this HD port took? I'd LOVE to see a bunch of other PS2 games given this treatment if it meant speedy turnarounds at $15.

GTAIII, Vice City, War of the Monsters, TimeSplitters 2... just to name a few. HD resolution, solid frame rates, some basic tweaks, and trophies.

Lagunamov

Killzone HD :)
The port is very solid (one of the best that I played, some levels look like this gen, not the models), but the game is very average. The plot sucks and I love the atmosphere (is a mature scifi conflict). Gameplay is not the strongest one, but you can play and take some fun. It has online multiplayer, but I didn't tried it yet.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The port is very solid (one of the best that I played, some levels look like this gen, not the models), but the game is very average. The plot sucks and I love the atmosphere (is a mature scifi conflict). Gameplay is not the strongest one, but you can play and take some fun. It has online multiplayer, but I didn't tried it yet.

Yup pretty much spot on.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Any idea how long this HD port took? I'd LOVE to see a bunch of other PS2 games given this treatment if it meant speedy turnarounds at $15.

GTAIII, Vice City, War of the Monsters, TimeSplitters 2... just to name a few. HD resolution, solid frame rates, some basic tweaks, and trophies.

Oh man...timespiltters 2 and 3.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Resistance 1, if it stayed consistent all the way through, which it mostly did, is sony's best shooter.

Killzone 2 would of been easy..if it wasnt for the horrible 2nd half of the game.

Played the game some more today, just got Luger. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Even though it is basically a corridor shooter I find it it holds up really well; the weapons are really satisfying, for one thing.

I wish they could have redone the cutscenes though. They look awful. It's amazing how far we've come.

Oh man...timespiltters 2 and 3.
I would pay $60 for TS2 HD. No joke.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Played the game some more today, just got Luger. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Even though it is basically a corridor shooter I find it it holds up really well; the weapons are really satisfying, for one thing.

I wish they could have redone the cutscenes though. They look awful. It's amazing how far we've come.

I would pay $60 for TS2 HD. No joke.

In a heart beat. oh man..the memories. why was last gen so much better than this gen :(

the amount of fun I had playing mp with friends in TS2 was just incredible....oh the memories.

best mp ever. damn the haters.

Lagunamov

I beat killzone 2 when was launched, but I hadn't played multiplayer yet. Now I gave it a try, and wow, is amazing. Why the people is not playing this and they are playing Call of Duty? Killzone 3 multiplayer is active? Is so good like this one?

Man

I beat killzone 2 when was launched, but I hadn't played multiplayer yet. Now I gave it a try, and wow, is amazing. Why the people is not playing this and they are playing Call of Duty?
Same reason as you I guess. :p
Not well educated about the product.

In a heart beat. oh man..the memories. why was last gen so much better than this gen :(

the amount of fun I had playing mp with friends in TS2 was just incredible....oh the memories.

best mp ever. damn the haters.
There are TS2 haters? Well now I've heard everything.

Killzone 2 > Killzone 3 > Resistance 1 > Resistance 2 > Resistance 3

Didn't include Killzone 1 because it's from another era and I haven't played the remake yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm enjoying this more than I expected too. Once you get by some of the quirks of it being a PS2 era FPS there's actually some awesome stuff in here. I love the head bob and reload animations. I actually think the guns look more uniquely designed in this than in KZ2 and 3.

Strike

Why the people is not playing this and they are playing Call of Duty? Killzone 3 multiplayer is active? Is so good like this one?
Overblown complaints about input lag and lack of killstreaks. Unfortunately, GG gave into this a bit with KZ3 instead of building on what they had.

I'm enjoying this more than I expected too. Once you get by some of the quirks of it being a PS2 era FPS there's actually some awesome stuff in here. I love the head bob and reload animations. I actually think the guns look more uniquely designed in this than in KZ2 and 3.
I feel the same way. I'm really glad I picked this up.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Fuck the jungle level. this game is broken.

but for some fucked up reason, im still playing it, I know its bad, but I keep playing. wtf!

Stoffinator

Its easy when its not broken. there are times where you only die from cheap deaths or a random glitch when a grenade explodes 200 meteres away.

Yep! The exact same issues I have. The AI can shoot those grenade launcher very far, even around corners. Yet your character can barely throw them 5 feet. I died like 6 times in that level simply because of cheap deaths. But like you, I keep playing it.

JoshHood

Stupid person here: halfway through the first proper chapter, someone tells you to go through a trench and fire a grenade launcher at a tank, but I cannot for the life of me find the launcher anywhere, I only have the assault rifle (with no alt ammo), the shotgun, and sniper. Help?

Kydd BlaZe

Stupid person here: halfway through the first proper chapter, someone tells you to go through a trench and fire a grenade launcher at a tank, but I cannot for the life of me find the launcher anywhere, I only have the assault rifle (with no alt ammo), the shotgun, and sniper. Help?
An ISA troop dies almost as soon as you reach the trenches. He's carrying the rocket launcher and drops it once he dies.

He should literally be directly in front of you as soon as you reach that area. Just wait until the tank takes him out, and the rocket launcher is yours.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS A SHAKESPEARE !"

should be the OT title imho.

Need to replay the campaign 3 more times for the Platinum. Made me all giddy to play KZ2 again.

btw the checkpoint system is as broken as it was when I played it years ago. Still a very enjoyable game and made me proud it was made in Holland.

It is criminal that we don't have an Ace Combat 4, 5 , Zero in HD. Criminal.

KZ2->R3> R:FoM> >>>>>>Tax season>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spider-Man 3>>>>>>>>>>R2> KZ3

KZ3 is so offensively bad it hurts. The SP alone with missing scenes, charchters who disappear, poorly designed levels, and dumbed down mechanics is offensive.

The multiplayer in KZ3 manages to strip half of the features and killed the community.

Top Bottom