• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Trilogy announced for PS3, trailer, October release

Well, I for one am willing to give KZ1 another chance if they have done some work on it. Back on the PS2 it was downright painful to play with the framerate and terrible controls. At the time I could only conclude that people who liked it didn't have access to other, better shooters that were available on PC and Xbox.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd be interested in playing the original Killzone. I wish there was Move support though.

I'd almost be tempted to buy the actual collection to get all the multiplayer DLC, but I'm not sure how those communities are doing, and not sure I'd really want to actually dive back into them.

Vlodril

Brian Cox's speech is absolutely legendary. I don't think I have ever had a speech in a videogame move me like his does. Also KZ never gets enough recognition for its score. Really great stuff.

Yeah thats what I assumed. Unfortunate. I wonder if any dev's outside of ND built their engines to scale relatively painless with new hardware.

The speech is better than most movies or tv series too. Its not just video games. And i didn't even love kz2. But that speech. Goddamn..

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
People are excited to play the first one? Wasn't it pretty shit even back then?

I played KZ for the first time about 3 years ago, and it's really good. The campaign is the best of the 3 (keep in mind I really loved KZ2 and liked KZ3). The variety of locales is broader than any of the other games, and the story is a lot more interesting. Rico is still a dick, though.

The real problem that KZ2 had (I played it on my BC PS2), was the draw distances were shit, and the framerate was all over the place. I loved the feel of the guns and gunplay. It was different compared to Halo, which was the major FPS on consoles back then. Because it was different, some people shat on it, and it really was too much for the PS2 to handle.

If this follows the other HD collections, the framerate should be stable, and other visual tweaks. I'm really looking forward to this one. Okami HD and KZ HD in the same month. Nice.

They already confirmed that it will be a DD release as well, which is great, since I already own KZ2 and 3.

Good shit on the updated audio. Maybe now I won't hear "SCOTT COMPANY" every time.

Rico is still a kind of a dick in this one, but he was a more endearing dick. He's got some pretty good lines. It was the shit he pulled in Killzone 2 that made him generally hated by fans.

What's this? A Killzone thread without gifs?? What happened gif GAF!

Still though, will buy KillzoneHD day one. Can't freaking wait.

That's some nice looking boxart. Will definitely double dip for Killzone HD.

It also gives me hope that a Resistance trilogy won't be far behind with trophy support for the original game.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm pretty late to the PS3 party but there doesn't seem to be a better time, given some of these collections that are coming recently.

Acrylic7

Heads up, don't play kz3. It should be frowned upon by everyone.
instead play kz2 and help revive the online community. Fantastic game.

Good shit on the updated audio. Maybe now I won't hear "SCOTT COMPANY" every time.

Rico is still a kind of a dick in this one, but he was a more endearing dick. He's got some pretty good lines. It was the shit he pulled in Killzone 2 that made him generally hated by fans.
I don't remember him being a dick at all, just the comic relief.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Too bad Liberation couldn't have been added. One of the best games in the series as well.

To be honest, Killzone is a pretty solid series overall.

spats

Too bad Liberation couldn't have been added. One of the best games in the series as well.

To be honest, Killzone is a pretty solid series overall.

It's not a bad franchise, but criminally underutilized. There's some seriously unique and interesting backstory, but then they make a generic broshooter like Killzone 3. :(

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! KZ3 was the multiplayer game I played for the entirety of last year

Are we rewriting history in this thread to make it so that Killzone 1 isn't a subpar game full of glitches and load times when you hit pause?

The original Killzone is one of my favourite games ever, so knowing it is a getting an HD re-release is extremely exciting. The improved resolution and stable framerate is going to do wonders for the game. Audio and controls improvements are just icing on the cake, so I can't wait for this... I'm super pumped.

Give it to me now! I would love to see a modern remake of the game using the Killzone 2/3 engine... that would be amazing.

KalBalboa

Banned
Different development studio involved. And not really comparable in problems at all, so I am not really sure what your point is.

My point is that Killzone, as even you put it so disparagingly, was a game held back by technical limitations. The frame rate and overall sluggishness of the game got in the way of what many saw as a really good experience (as this thread alone indicates).

The Shadow of the Colossus & Ico HD remasters were amazing examples of what a current-gen piece of hardware can do to a PS2 game. Shadow in particular looked amazing when compared to its original version, and its improved and stable frame rate was one of the single best examples of how a port to a machine like the PS3 can help. The drastically improved resolution, added trophies, remastered & decompressed audio, and overall increased performance are welcome additions that will only make the game better.

Killzone HD looks like it's going to do that same thing. Lose the pissy attitude and lighten up.

Next up should be The Getaway and Black Monday, fix up the shit controls and dodgy frame and release asap.

I wonder if an open-world game would be significantly harder... but I'm betting GTAIII & Vice City are being considered for the HD treatment now. I'd love Twisted Metal: Black, too.

Sid

Oh you will but in higher fidelity.

I wish killzone 1 hd had a retail release for 20 bucks or something.

KalBalboa

Banned
The speech is better than most movies or tv series too. Its not just video games. And i didn't even love kz2. But that speech. Goddamn..
Yes, it was extremely powerful. Too bad the rest of the KZ2 story didn't live up to that epic piece.

It was no Sopot speech.

Sopot.jpg

Kidding

My point is that Killzone, as even you put it so disparagingly, was a game held back by technical limitations. The frame rate and overall sluggishness of the game got in the way of what many saw as a really good experience (as this thread alone indicates).

The Shadow of the Colossus & Ico HD remasters were amazing examples of what a current-gen piece of hardware can do to a PS2 game. Shadow in particular looked amazing when compared to its original version, and its improved and stable frame rate was one of the single best examples of how a port to a machine like the PS3 can help. The drastically improved resolution, added trophies, remastered & decompressed audio, and overall increased performance are welcome additions that will only make the game better.

Killzone HD looks like it's going to do that same thing. Lose the pissy attitude and lighten up.

I wonder if an open-world game would be significantly harder... but I'm betting GTAIII & Vice City are being considered for the HD treatment now. I'd love Twisted Metal: Black, too.

Pissy attitude? Excuse me for logically thinking that a bad game is still a bad game in a different resolution.

I am sorry that I don't have the faith you do, but if you think the framerate and sluggishness were the biggest problems in Killzone, I am not sure that you even played it. Killzone had terrible difficulty, and glitches out the ass that were not relative to the power of the Ps2 at all.

Bluepoint games ported SOTC, ICO, MGS, and the God of war collection to the Ps3. Their process is unique in how they end up with such a good product.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'll try and end this here but will likely fail:

Pissy attitude? Excuse me for logically thinking that a bad game is still a bad game in a different resolution.

Your post was insinuating that everyone here had "forgotten" the game was bad. It's evident that plenty of people here enjoyed the game, so you being "logical" for thinking it was a bad game is self-righteous, patronizing rhetoric that could only happen on a message board. Killzone was a good game held back by technical issues as far as I and many others are concerned, and this HD version is addressing those exact problems.

I am sorry that I don't have the faith you do, but if you think the framerate and sluggishness were the biggest problems in Killzone, I am not sure that you even played it. Killzone had terrible difficulty, and glitches out the ass that were not relative to the power of the Ps2 at all.

Well, to many people they were. In fact, that's all people talk about in regards to the first Killzone, usually. It had an iffy frame rate and the PS2 chugged when trying to handle the game. Having a locked 30 frame rate is going to fix the ~10-20 the initial ran at. I think many glitches with the game were caused by the PS2 being over exerted (it sure as hell felt that way when playing it), but I don't think you or I have debug code to prove it either way. The game will only be improved by these changes, though.

Bluepoint games ported SOTC, ICO, MGS, and the God of war collection to the Ps3. Their process is unique in how they end up with such a good product.

This is arguably the only point you might have, three posts in. Bluepoint has done a very strong job with porting to the PS3 and Killzone HD is not being done by them, so for all we know it could turn out a mess or better than any port to date. Assuming that this port (a modest one that is only promising trophies, better audio, increased resolution, and a better frame rate) doesn't go the Silent Hill route, there's really no need to worry that it'll be botched.

All in all, this is a simple concept: Killzone felt like it was being played through a tight bottleneck that was the PS2. After seeing so many strong PS2 remasters on PS3, it only makes sense to see so many people excited for Killzone HD. Plain and simple.

Why does Sony just always milk these HD remakes with no improvements to graphics?

This would be MUCH more interesting if Killzone 1 was remade Halo Anniversary style.

Although I guess, noone would be willing to rebuy Killzone 1 for 40 bucks like they are Halo 1.

This is SO bought. KZ1 in HD? While I would've preferred a remake with the new Engine, it was wishful thinking at best, so it's all good.

KalBalboa

Banned
Why does Sony just always milk these HD remakes with no improvements to graphics?

This would be MUCH more interesting if Killzone 1 was remade Halo Anniversary style.

Although I guess, noone would be willing to rebuy Killzone 1 for 40 bucks like they are Halo 1.

There you go. Plus, I mean, the Shadow of the Colossus, the God of War ports, MGS Collection, and Jak & Daxter Collection were all pretty excellent products. I enjoyed them being remastered and think that any effort spent on porting the exact elements of an older product to a new engine could be time making... well, a new game.

Top Bottom