• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimberly and Juri confirmed for Street Fighter 6

Totally agree with most of what your saying.
I totally get why they go 3D, I just love Alpha’s and 3’s art style. I wish we got a smaller SF title/ or multple Street Fighter titles. Like when we got multiple SF3, SF Alpha and all the VS games on top of the DarkStalker games all in like 1 generation lol.
Id prefer a couple or few costumes if it means 2D, instead of loads for 3D but I totally get it.

I wish they did some more and one of those was a new Street Fighter Alpha game with the old art style :)

I hear 'ya man. But the reason they can't do multiple fighters in a single gen is because the genre's constricted in terms of overall buyers, and the budgets have increased by magnitudes to produce a AAA fighter, more than the likely income they'd get from having enough invested players to support multiple AAA fighters per gen (from a single developer).

To satiate people wanting an aesthetic even more like Alpha or SFIII, they can probably go for a cel-shaded shader option. They did it with SFIV and SFV but TBH it's always looked kind of half-assed in both games. They'd have to step it up for SFVI and maybe also throw in a CRT shader option too for a super retro look, like on a real arcade monitor.

it must be late Iv because there was no such character at the peak of it. Maybe Ultimate SFIV? And the other character is from late SFV?

Juri is from SFIV, Kimberly is one of the new characters for SFVI. There will be some SFV characters returning tho like Rashid and Ed.

Now's probably a good time to acclimate yourself with the cast before SFVI comes out. Still got at least half a year.

No she's literally from the first update and a central/integral character to the entire story, she's a bison level antagonist in SF4 and turns anti-hero in SF5; if you played sf4 in 2009 and only in 2009 you wouldn't have known her, if you played it at any other time, and thus during "the peak of it", there's no way you wouldn't know who she is.

Kimberly is obviously just a new character, which happens in every game; y'all really just want SF2 rehashed forever.

Your bottom conclusion is strange given the first paragraph.

if you believe I should know who Juri is but don't, why would you assume I want SF2's roster rehashed? Which was already rehashed in SFIV anyway?

Doing research it was later, the character was first playable in Super Street Fighter Iv around 2 years after the original game and the "SF returns" hype dying down, so it makes sense why I have no Idea who that is.

Now's probably a good time to acclimate yourself with the cast before SFVI comes out. Still got at least half a year.

I think I'll be fine, this isn't Mortal Kombat, so i don't have to worry about needing to know too many stories since the story won't be coherent. Just a couple SFV characters and the usuals.

Last edited:
if you believe I should know who Juri is but don't, why would you assume I want SF2's roster rehashed? Which was already rehashed in SFIV anyway?
because you believe that "rehashed" part was the peak of it; it wasn't
Doing research it was later, the character was first playable in Super Street Fighter Iv around 2 years after the original game and the "SF returns" hype dying down, so it makes sense why I have no Idea who that is.
SSF4 was released in 2010 dude, 2008 is when SF4 was only in arcades, in japan, so you played in 2009 and then stopped playing right as it started picking up steam.

because you believe that "rehashed" part was the peak of it; it wasn't

So can you show me this non-existent post where you got this from?

2008 is when SF4 was only in arcades, in japan,
The arcade game was also released in America in 2008.

SSF4 was released in 2010 dude, 2008 is when SF4 was only in arcades, in japan, so you played in 2009 and then stopped playing right as it started picking up steam.

SSF4 is when the SSIV series was losing steam and the fans were becoming the hardcore fans became the core audience as each update sold less than the last.

So can you show me this non-existent post where you got this from?
It's your own words, figure it out.
The arcade game was also released in America in 2008.
So what? The vast majority of players/sales come from the home release in 2009; and arcades also updated the game obviously, unless your argument is that you were a SF4 arcade only fiend and then stopped abruptly in 2010.
SSF4 is when the SSIV series was losing steam and the fans were becoming the hardcore fans became the core audience as each update sold less than the last.
That's not true at all, fighting games always have an initial bigger group because of nostalgia/hype and a large amount drops of rapidly after clearing story modes and getting their ass beat online, it's not something exclusive to SF4.
USF4, the last update, also sold more than SSF4: AE

It's your own words, figure it out.

No you made it up. The only thing I've said is who are these characters and asked where they were from, I didn't even mention SF2 characters originally. I didn't say anything about a "peak" game either.

You said it was only japan, but it wasn't it was also the US.

That's not true at all, fighting games always have an initial bigger group because of nostalgia/hype and a large amount drops of rapidly after clearing story modes and getting their ass beat online, it's not something exclusive to SF4.
USF4, the last update, also sold more than SSF4: AE

Eventually with years of price cuts. Still Vanilla was the biggest release and it wasn't by a small margin. Most people don't care about EVO and events like that, many of them dropped out of SF after 2 years, any hype build up was harmed by the multiple releases just like SfF2 and SF3, which is why Capcom didn't want to go that route with SFV.

Back to the point, I didn't know who the characters are and according to you one is knew, and one was added 2 years after release. I have played SSF4 a few times but never noticed the character and had not picked up SF4 again outside match with a friend in Ultra SFIV, I'm not major SF fan.

[Sigma]

You practically have to not have been paying attention to SF scene at all through out the years or just flat out forgot to not know who Juri is. She's been plastered all over the internet since her arrival in SSFIV from fan art or to gameplay stuff. With every release there was a marketing media blitz for that game(SSFIV). Also with SSFIV only being 1 year after the base game release, SSFIV would definitely been every where. I remember it vividly because it wasn't all positive news at the time because some people were upset that a new game was release just 1 year after. So the original sold more but hype had not died down at that point, if anything it increased over the first couple of years when it came to the scene atleast.

Last edited:
You practically have to not have been paying attention to SF scene at all through out the years or just flat out forgot to not know who Juri is. She's been plastered all over the internet since her arrival in SSFIV from fan art or to gameplay stuff. With every release there was a marketing media blitz for that game(SSFIV). Also with SSFIV only being 1 year after the base game release, SSFIV would definitely been every where. I remember it vividly because it wasn't all positive news at the time because some people were upset that a new game was release just 1 year after. So the original sold more but hype had not died down at that point, if anything it increased over the first couple of years when it came to the scene atleast.
Forget it, he only played SF4 when it was a "rehashed SF2", and he considers that the peak of it; he probably just hit his head and forgot about insanely big SSF4 was.

Last edited:

You are talking about hardcore fan circles, the type that also know and follow EVO streamers, I'm not that big of a SF fan. For most people the SF4 hype was dying down. I switched to MK9 and KOF and then didn't bother with fighters for the rest of the gen until Killer Instinct in 2013.

Forget it, he only played SF4 when it was a "rehashed SF2",

There goes that out of context posting again.

Hard to get people to play more SF if you spin what they say. You are the one who claimed "people like me" just wanted SF2 characters with nothing to base that conclusion off of.

Really, you've been unreasonably aggressive since I simply asked where the two characters announced in this thread came from. I don't know how you got this from that question.

y'all really just want SF2 rehashed forever.

This came out of nowhere.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

You are talking about hardcore fan circles, the type that also know and follow EVO streamers, I'm not that big of a SF fan. For most people the SF4 hype was dying down. I switched to MK9 and KOF and then didn't bother with fighters for the rest of the gen until Killer Instinct in 2013.
There's nothing hardcore fan circles about this. SSFIV sold almost 2 million copies by itself. Like I said, the media blitz was every where for SSFIV.

Last edited:
There's nothing hardcore fan circles about this. SSFIV sold almost 2 million copies by itself. Like I said, the media blitz was every where for SSFIV.

it was, there were many big games that were releasing in 2008 to keep track of to miss some art and talk about SSFIV characters. I was aware of the game, but didn't pay much attention to what was knew because I had my fill playing SF4.

It also important to note that selling 2 million for a fighter wasn't impressive at that point. Other fighting games were selling more than that contemporary. There was also a 360 vs. PS3 console war going on, with a bunch of major games exclusive or multi-platform, and the Wii was all over the news.

Top Bottom