• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny launches new show KF Games Daily w/ Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer

Bummer about Danny, though I'm sure the show will continue to do great in his absence.

This had really become my favorite podcast. Really like the format and discussion.

His work is the best video game journalism has seen. Would've loved to see where CLS was going. I loved the first episode of his new podcast (audio essay about videogames), hopefully it's the mark of a slow return to gaming media. Some kind of return at least. He won't stop doing CLS for a while but I could see him and Greg doing a podcast together in the next 2-3 years.
As much as I enjoyed Colin's work at IGN, he definitely was not the best to come out of games journalism.

On topic, bummer that Danny is leaving. He's fantastic, and he does some great documentary-style journalism with NoClip.

I do wonder if they have a replacement in mind. Did Vince Ingenito ever find a permanent place of employment after being laid off from IGN or is he still freelance?

Jerm411

I do wonder if they have a replacement in mind. Did Vince Ingenito ever find a permanent place of employment after being laid off from IGN or is he still freelance?

He's still freelancing as far as I know but I believe he moved to Wisconsin....

Wish they'd get Ryan from IGN, just to have one XBox centric person on there...would round out with Tim/Nintendo and Greg/Sony....

He's still freelancing as far as I know but I believe he moved to Wisconsin....

Wish they'd get Ryan from IGN, just to have one XBox centric person on there...would round out with Tim/Nintendo and Greg/Sony....

He'd be good. Though, I think Alfredo would've possibly been a better fit, but that ship has sailed. Sean Finnegan is also a huge XBOX guy.

paulogy

From Danny's Twitter: "After 4 years in California I'm moving to Maryland next month. Exciting news for Noclip's future." is all I've got.

If someone knows more, let us know.

More from Danny:

"I'll write a post about why MD but the TLDR is closer to family, more space, country life, better for business and goddammit I love change."

"I'll miss California. But after a decade of big city life, I'm ready to see stars, support a crap local team & pay a reasonable rent again."

His work is the best video game journalism has seen. Would've loved to see where CLS was going. I loved the first episode of his new podcast (audio essay about videogames), hopefully it's the mark of a slow return to gaming media. Some kind of return at least. He won't stop doing CLS for a while but I could see him and Greg doing a podcast together in the next 2-3 years.
I don't think those two are on especially great terms atm, but I guess we'll see how things play out down the line...

I miss the Colin & Greg content. The two worked well off each other.

Zukkoyaki

More from Danny:

"I'll write a post about why MD but the TLDR is closer to family, more space, country life, better for business and goddammit I love change."

"I'll miss California. But after a decade of big city life, I'm ready to see stars, support a crap local team & pay a reasonable rent again."

Sounds like he's looking out for himself and his family which is always for the best. I recall him mentioning on Games Daily a couple months back that he and his wife have started to consider starting a family and in that case, getting out of the Bay Area is almost certainly the right call. It's great to know that he's going to continue doing No Clip as well. Their content is exceptional.

From Danny's Twitter: "After 4 years in California I'm moving to Maryland next month. Exciting news for Noclip's future." is all I've got.

If someone knows more, let us know.

My guess is money, not that Maryland is a cheap place to live but it's still cheaper than California. Plus Maryland has weather that's more similar to Ireland which can't probably misses.

My guess is money, not that Maryland is a cheap place to live but it's still cheaper than California. Plus Maryland has weather that's more similar to Ireland which can't probably misses.

Eh it's only super expensive outside of D.C. In the suburbs and around Baltimore. I grew up on the Eastern Shore and the majority of the state is pretty cheap comparatively to other states of its type. It's not cheap like a southern state, but it's pretty good compared to northeast states which is what I would say it's most comparable too. Definitely some of the taxes are really bad, but other aspects of the cost of living are pretty good outside of the smaller highly dense areas.

I don't share a lot of the same opinions as her but I LOVE Andrea Rene! I just love hearin from women in games that are passionate and Andrea Rene is one of the best!

Lothars

Cause he's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be when it comes to videogame journalism.

A lot like Bret Hart. Misunderstood.

I hope not if Colin disappeared from all media today, We would all be better for it. He's not even in the top 100 best gaming journalist of all time.

She sure does have a passion for shitting on Nintendo.
I don't agree and when she does they deserve it. I will miss danny on this. He is always a constant and great voice.

paulogy

More from Danny:

Full update this morning on Danny's Patreon:

NEWS: Noclip Leaves California for Greener Pastures
Sep 17 at 9:01am
Hey Patrons!

So, on yesterday's Birthday Stream I announced the news that my wife and I are moving. We're leaving the sunny skies of Oakland, California to go live in a lovely, rural house in Maryland. Our next move has been something we've been trying to figure out for over a year, so I wanted to give you some insight into why we're moving, and what it means for the future of my work.

As you are probably aware, I currently live in the most expensive housing market in North America. As somebody running a business which is essentially location agnostic, this is insane. As you know from my patron-only posts, I almost went crazy working in my apartment this past year. My wife and I live in a one-bedroom place, and my "office" is a desk beside our couch. Noclip has basically been run from the corner of a room for 12 months.

This is because we pay a lot of rent to live close to a commuter belt we're not a part of. It makes no sense. A few months back we looked at Petaluma in the north bay as a place that would give us more space for less rent, but even areas that far from major cities cost a fortune in California.

Aside from pure financial logistics, we're both satisfied with our time in California. This place was my dream home for many years. I listened to Deftones, I skateboarded, I wanted to work for GameSpot. California was my Graceland. I came here and did it. I lived this life and loved it. But the reality is we're entering a new chapter of ours lives and other things have become more important. My wife's family is in DC, and mine in Ireland. I've lived in some of the biggest metropolitan areas in the world for a decade, but I grew up in a town of 40 thousand people on the quiet, Irish coast. I've had my fill of cities that never sleep. So it's time to return to my original dream. To live near the people I love and grow a sustainable business in a cool corner of the world. So that's what's happening in Maryland.

First thing's first - Noclip is getting a studio. The home we're moving to has a large finished basement which I'll be using as Noclip headquarters. It has space for a dedicated streaming set. It has room for a dedicated voice-over booth. It has room for an edit suite, a classic game section and more. This location means I'll be able to make more streams and episodes of Danny's Disk Club then ever before. Maryland also has some of the best internets in America so I'm looking forward to a wonderful future of fiber and low-pings.

Noclip is going to thrive here too. Not only will our taxes be more favorable, but the cost of running a company in rural Maryland is significantly lower than the Bay Area. I'll still be able to contract Jeremy as camera-operator and colorist when on remote shoots, but relocation to Maryland will allow Noclip the real opportunity to grow. Something we never truly had in California. We're also more centrally located for both North American and European shoots (and general livestreams). While a 3 hour train-ride from New York for fun collaborations. Oh and did I mention there are a lot of game companies and communities in the area?

Aside from that, I'm going to be happy there. My wife and I are looking forward to living in a home where work happens downstairs, and life happens in the rest of the house. Where nature and family are right around the corner. Where life is slower, and more intentional.

I'm incredibly excited for the future. Not only will I be closer to the people I care about, but Maryland provides real opportunity for Noclip to thrive. In the short-term that will mean a lot of fun "studio building" videos and a lot more features and streams from me. In the long-term, I hope it means building a team and expanding Noclip's creative influence.

None of this would have been possible without your support. In the past year you have catapulted Noclip from an idea in my head to a business that works. Now you have catapulted my family across the country. You made this happen, my success is yours, and Noclip's future is brighter for it. So from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

If you have any questions, please stick them below. I'm more than happy to answer them. Now I've got to get back to packing - we leave in three weeks!

Danny

He'd be good. Though, I think Alfredo would've possibly been a better fit, but that ship has sailed. Sean Finnegan is also a huge XBOX guy.

Yea, I'd prefer Sean Finnegan to Ryan. Alfredo would be great too. And I've always like great and Goldfarbs rapport with each other.

Yea, I'd prefer Sean Finnegan to Ryan. Alfredo would be great too. And I've always like great and Goldfarbs rapport with each other.

I think (and they have said) we can count out anyone at IGN & Gamespot its a contractors role for 2 shows a week so not enough to live in SF on and would be a conflict of intrest for IGN/Gamespot empolyees.

Additionally both hosts are fellow Patreon creators, thats because aside from money, KF offer people a window to one of the largest and most supportive groups of patreon supporters so this is a big benfit where-as sure the wages arnt exactly killer as just for a few hours a week. I would be looking at Anthony Carboni (he just did what could be considered a trial week when Kev/Tim/Nick were on holiday) Possibly Easy Allies if in bay area, other thoughts Gary Whitta, would have said Jared Petty but has full time game dev job now. They could go the other way and get a community member but think the only ones close and with the relevant experience are the ones working at IGN or Ubisoft. In the short term expect Andy will step up for a few shows along with Andrea and Tim doing a few more shows too.

Danny will be sorely missed but also really excited for him to get a studio and move out the bay area and tiny 1 bed appartment that was sending him stir crazy.

Some Nobody

I think (and they have said) we can count out anyone at IGN & Gamespot its a contractors role for 2 shows a week so not enough to live in SF on and would be a conflict of intrest for IGN/Gamespot empolyees.

Additionally both hosts are fellow Patreon creators, thats because aside from money, KF offer people a window to one of the largest and most supportive groups of patreon supporters so this is a big benfit where-as sure the wages arnt exactly killer as just for a few hours a week. I would be looking at Anthony Carboni (he just did what could be considered a trial week when Kev/Tim/Nick were on holiday) Possibly Easy Allies if in bay area, other thoughts Gary Whitta, would have said Jared Petty but has full time game dev job now. They could go the other way and get a community member but think the only ones close and with the relevant experience are the ones working at IGN or Ubisoft. In the short term expect Andy will step up for a few shows along with Andrea and Tim doing a few more shows too.

Danny will be sorely missed but also really excited for him to get a studio and move out the bay area and tiny 1 bed appartment that was sending him stir crazy.

Anthony did a fantastic job when I saw him. I was quite impressed, and would love to see him become a part of the show personally. Hopefully he's one of the people they ask.

decisions

I hope not if Colin disappeared from all media today, We would all be better for it. He's not even in the top 100 best gaming journalist of all time.

I don't agree and when she does they deserve it. I will miss danny on this. He is always a constant and great voice.

Really? The top one hundred? Name 5 gaming journalists who did anything close to his History of Naughty Dog/Sucker Punch pieces.

His reviews were far better written than the vast majority of reviewers. Take his Catherine or Resistance 3 reviews for example. He understood why those game were great to him and communicated it effectively.

He is a good speaker which made him enjoyable on podcasts/video reviews.

He knew far more about the history of games than most, and took it into consideration for his reviews.

Podcast Beyond and PSILY were easily within the top 5 gaming podcasts of all-time. If you ask me Beyond! was the best ever in its prime, considering many copied its format and it was a pioneer of video podcasts/live events.

Top one hundered? I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous, I can't name 10 gaming journalists who put in as much work as Colin did into gaming journalism. That's why the majority of gamig outlets subsist off of regurgitating news stories, poorly-received reviews, and failed podcasts/editorial segments that are quickly replaced and fad-based - almost no one wants to put in the effort that Colin did. Colin was one of the best when the standard was a lot higher at IGN, let alone when compared to everyone in the line of work.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't share a lot of the same opinions as her but I LOVE Andrea Rene! I just love hearin from women in games that are passionate and Andrea Rene is one of the best!

She's definitely grown on me the more and more she's been guests on things over the years. I didn't initially like her (eons ago) when she'd come on the Bonus Round at Game Trailers as I thought she was one of those PR people. My view was probably skewed by seeing her do promos for Gamestop. heh

v1perz53

To me, I've realized the thing that keeps me coming back to Games Daily is how different everyone's opinions and outlooks are, giving so many different viewpoints on stuff based on the day. I don't agree with any of the hosts on every issue, but I like it that way. So I don't really mind who they get, as long as they keep the Greg + 3 others general format, minimum number for the diversity I like I think. An Xbox centric person would be fine, though not really my priority since it is currently the only ecosystem I nearly flat ignore (mostly because of having a gaming PC allowing me to play basically any otherwise Xbox exclusive I'd want).

jacobeid

Banned
Disappointing to hear about Danny since he is by far my favorite. My opinions of Andrea have definitely taken a nosedive recently since WGG started and since she's been doing this with Greg.

So much misinformation, and the Uncharted: Lost Legacy rant was the last I could take lol. Just because she doesn't know what "standalone DLC" means doesn't mean Naughty Dog is some evil corporation misleading their consumers like she made it seem.

Standalone = you don't need a copy of U4 to play it. Standalone =/= this isn't Uncharted 5 and just looks like more Uncharted 4 (....duh?) so Naughty Dog really misrepresented the game to consumers. Wut.

I don't think Carboni would be up for travelling between LA and SF every week for an hour long podcast.

My understanding is he is doing the star wars show in SF so they likely flying him etc for a couple of days a weeks so should hopefully be able to slot it in around that. If they choose him. May be an issue when not recording that. We will likely get to see soon.

ron_bato

I started listening to KF again (specifically KF Games Daily) when they inserted Andrea and more specifically, Danny into the mix. I liked the overall change in tone that the show got just with the introduction of fresh voices into the mix, Danny in particular, was a welcome voice, and I thought he worked well with Greg in terms of delivering level headed and grounded analysis (providing criticsm when needed, but not going overboard). Gonna miss the irish man, but I'm glad that No Clip is getting all the resources it needs with his move.

I don't want to criticize Andrea too much, because she has her own way of discussing video games (she admitted herself that she doesn't mind giving "soft ball coverage" because that's the kind of content she likes to produce - it just isn't for me). I just flat out skip some of the episodes where she co-hosts KF Games Daily, unless it's a really good topic I'm into.

So I'll give the episodes in the coming days a shot, but I hope they have news on who they are going to replace Danny with soon.

Top Bottom