• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Getting Into 'Spawn' So Any Suggestions?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Lately, I've been reading about and getting into Spawn.

I've never read any of the comic books but I've seen the movie, which wasn't that good and I also seen the animated movie, which was excellent.

Artwork and characters look fantastic. This is some of the best artwork in the comics I've seen for any superheros.

For any casuals or fans here, what are some suggestions?

Lately, I've been reading about and getting into Spawn.

I've never read any of the comic books but I've seen the movie, which wasn't that good and I also seen the animated movie, which was excellent.

Artwork and characters look fantastic. This is some of the best artwork in the comics I've seen for any superheros.

For any casuals or fans here, what are some suggestions?

Bone By Jeff Smith
New X-Men by Grant Morrison
Monsteress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

but I've seen the movie, which wasn't that good
sQ2cCp.gif

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

While I’ve not read New X-men yet, everything Morrison I have read (All Star Superman, their Batman run, Doom Patrol) slaps, so safe bet New X-men is solid. And yes, Bone and Monstress are great.

God New X-Men is so GOOD

But Marvel being a typical comic company says it's non Canon 🙄

Really makes me mad

After I'm done with Jason Aaron Thor Run. Which had a fantastic opening act with Gorr The God Butcher. The middle act with Female Thor has been OK to boring for me. I'm at the beginning now of the War of The Realms Arc, Not the main crossover event but just the 2018 Thor Comics setting up that Arc

But I'm gonna to start reading Jonathan Hickman X-Men titles after I'm done with Jason Aaron Thor Run

When it comes to Marvel Crossovers

The King In Black is the one I'm most looking forward to reading

When it comes to Superhero comics I'm a Marvel guy though and through

On the DC front I only ever loved Batman. But I'll be giving thier crossovers and other characters a chance

I'll be reading Grant Morrison Green Lantern this year too

As for Bone, I grew up reading those comics. Started reading them when I was a kid.

Monstress is gonna have to be a reread since I completely forgot where I left off. But I remember loving what I read of it. But yeah that comic I'm going to have to do a reread to remember everything before I read the issues that I haven't read yet

Last edited:

Doom85

God New X-Men is so GOOD

But Marvel being a typical comic company says it's non Canon 🙄

Really makes me mad

After I'm done with Jason Aaron Thor Run. Which had a fantastic opening act with Gorr The God Butcher. The middle act with Female Thor has been OK to boring for me. I'm at the beginning now of the War of The Realms Arc, Not the main crossover event but just the 2018 Thor Comics setting up that Arc

But I'm gonna to start reading Jonathan Hickman X-Men titles after I'm done with Jason Aaron Thor Run

When it comes to Marvel Crossovers

The King In Black is the one I'm most looking forward to reading

When it comes to Superhero comics I'm a Marvel guy though and through

On the DC front I only ever loved Batman. But I'll be giving thier crossovers and other characters a chance

I'll be reading Grant Morrison Green Lantern this year too

As for Bone, I grew up reading those comics. Started reading them when I was a kid.

Monstress is gonna have to be a reread since I completely forgot where I left off. But I remember loving what I read of it. But yeah that comic I'm going to have to do a reread to remember everything before I read the issues that I haven't read yet

Yeah, I recently got the essential Hickman X-men books to read (Powers of X/House of X, the omnibus of the main run he did, and a few other books he did at that time) as I hear it’s excellent. Want to check out his run on Fantastic Four as well.

I’m more DC than Marvel myself, but I am interested in the new Ultimate Marvel universe. Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, and Black Panther all sound fun, hopefully they can keep this new Ultimate line strong since the original Ultimate universe lost its way IMHO when the Ultimatum event permanently killed off like 60% of the heroes mostly in anticlimactic ways (except for Ultimate Spider-man, Brian Michael Bendis was probably like, “you’re not fucking up my book with your stupid event, you leave my characters alone!”)

Grant Morrison GL is supposed to be good, but it’s the Geoff Johns‘ Green Lanterun run (and Peter J. Tomasi’s Green Lantern Corps run that went along with it the whole way) that is the iconic GL run, lasted near a decade and while having a few weak points is mostly epic especially the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night story arcs.

For the other DC heroes:

-All Star Superman by Grant Morrison is peak Supes. The Superman run by Peter J Tomasi that started in 2016 is pretty fun. The Geoff Johns run from the 2000s is pretty good. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (which the upcoming movie is based off of) is really solid, take the plot structure of the Western movie True Grit but have Supergirl helping this alien track down her father’s killer across the galaxy. Also, the current Superman run is off to an interesting start, Lex Luthor has seemingly come to truly realize it will be far more efficient to work with Supes as with his intelligence and Supes’ powers working together, nothing can threaten their city. It could just chicken out and go with, “nah, Lex was bullshitting!” reveal but I hope they stick with it for a while

-for Wonder Woman, the holy Trinity of solid WW writers are George Perez (who did a long run that started after Crisis on Infinite Earths in the mid 80’s), Gail Simone (who did a 30 issue run), and the two separate runs from Greg Rucka (I’ve not read his older run but his 2016 run was pretty great)

-the Flash runs by Mark Waid and Geoff Johns are each pretty solid

-the only Aquaman run I read was the Geoff Johns run but it’s pretty great

-New Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman is the defining run of them, has the classic storylines involving Deathstroke, Terra, Trigon, etc. Geoff Johns’ run is pretty solid though it loses steam near the end

-the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) run by Keith Giffen and John Rogers is really fun. It does help to read a quick summary of what happened in the event Infinite Crisis as it‘s connected (since Jaime becomes BB in that event), but that’s it, and it does go into the two prior BBs. Just really fun, and Jaime plays off his cast great as well as the other heroes he teams up with primarily Peacemaker and Guy Gardener (Green Lantern)

-Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison is peak insanity. The dialogue, the visuals, is fucking nuts in the best way, read while high at your own risk. I need to read more of the Gerard Way (believe it or not, the guy from My Chemical Romance) run but it was really good what I read and also pretty nuts. I definitely want to watch the TV show, I saw Alan Tudyk plays the villain Mr. Nobody which is like perfect casting for that character

Last edited:
Yeah, I recently got the essential Hickman X-men books to read (Powers of X/House of X, the omnibus of the main run he did, and a few other books he did at that time) as I hear it’s excellent. Want to check out his run on Fantastic Four as well.

I’m more DC than Marvel myself, but I am interested in the new Ultimate Marvel universe. Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, and Black Panther all sound fun, hopefully they can keep this new Ultimate line strong since the original Ultimate universe lost its way IMHO when the Ultimatum event permanently killed off like 60% of the heroes mostly in anticlimactic ways (except for Ultimate Spider-man, Brian Michael Bendis was probably like, “you’re not fucking up my book with your stupid event, you leave my characters alone!”)

Grant Morrison GL is supposed to be good, but it’s the Geoff Johns‘ Green Lanterun run (and Peter J. Tomasi’s Green Lantern Corps run that went along with it the whole way) that is the iconic GL run, lasted near a decade and while having a few weak points is mostly epic especially the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night story arcs.

For the other DC heroes:

-All Star Superman by Grant Morrison is peak Supes. The Superman run by Peter J Tomasi that started in 2016 is pretty fun. The Geoff Johns run from the 2000s is pretty good. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (which the upcoming movie is based off of) is really solid, take the plot structure of the Western movie True Grit but have Supergirl helping this alien track down her father’s killer across the galaxy. Also, the current Superman run is off to an interesting start, Lex Luthor has seemingly come to truly realize it will be far more efficient to work with Supes as with his intelligence and Supes’ powers working together, nothing can threaten their city. It could just chicken out and go with, “nah, Lex was bullshitting!” reveal but I hope they stick with it for a while

-for Wonder Woman, the holy Trinity of solid WW writers are George Perez (who did a long run that started after Crisis on Infinite Earths in the mid 80’s), Gail Simone (who did a 30 issue run), and the two separate runs from Greg Rucka (I’ve not read his older run but his 2016 run was pretty great)

-the Flash runs by Mark Waid and Geoff Johns are each pretty solid

-the only Aquaman run I read was the Geoff Johns run but it’s pretty great

-New Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman is the defining run of them, has the classic storylines involving Deathstroke, Terra, Trigon, etc. Geoff Johns’ run is pretty solid though it loses steam near the end

-the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) run by Keith Giffen and John Rogers is really fun. It does help to read a quick summary of what happened in the event Infinite Crisis as it‘s connected (since Jaime becomes BB in that event), but that’s it, and it does go into the two prior BBs. Just really fun, and Jaime plays off his cast great as well as the other heroes he teams up with primarily Peacemaker and Guy Gardener (Green Lantern)

-Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison is peak insanity. The dialogue, the visuals, is fucking nuts in the best way, read while high at your own risk. I need to read more of the Gerard Way (believe it or not, the guy from My Chemical Romance) run but it was really good what I read and also pretty nuts. I definitely want to watch the TV show, I saw Alan Tudyk plays the villain Mr. Nobody which is like perfect casting for that character

Personally wasn't a fan of the Doom Patrol show. Just wasn't my thing

As for DC, most of the time if it isn't Batman, I tend to not enjoy it.

As for DC these are the crossovers I have to get through

The Oz Effect (2017)
Drowned Earth (2018)
Event Leviathan (2019)
City of Bane (2019)
The Infected (2019)
Joker War (2020)
Dark Nights: Death Metal (2020)
Endless Winter (2020)
Future State (2021)

Oh yeah include Year of the Villain to that too

That include the individual series that aren't the crossover I've been getting into like the 2018 versions of Justice League, Justice League Odyssey and Justice League Dark

Action Comics etc

So far nothing really has grabbed me from DC if it's not Batman

I'm going to be reading more Image and Indie comics too like Hellboy and Aliens. I got all 4 Omnibuses called Aliens The Original Years. I think they collect all the Dark Horse and even the recent Marvel comics. Each Omnibus being around 900 to 1000 pages each. I finished the first Omnibus for Hellboy and it was fantastic. For The Walking Dead Comics I got to the part the MC Son got his cherry popped by that one girl who was part of this group that walks among the zombies by covering themselves in zombie guts

I'm behind when it comes to Marvel and DC but when it comes to comics I enjoyed comics from Marvel way more than I do DC. Not a knock against DC though. I have to get into Green Lantern especially

I have both Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite. I've been using Marvel Unlimited to read the Jason Aaron Thor Run. I'm currently on Thor Issue 4 (2018) I've been using a Jason Aaron Thor Guide to read the comics in order

But this is kind of the reason why I prefer manga. Easier to get into. But that's my personal opinion

Top Bottom