• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect 2.0 covers - the next video game accessory?

ToxicAdam

I'm kind of intrigued by the functionality of the new Kinect, but not so much about the 'always on' aspect of it. So, it got me thinking about ways you could block the camera when not in use. I thought an actual custom-fit cover would be a cool idea.

Well, someone actually already had the idea for the old Kinect. Pritect is the company that makes it. I highly doubt they have sold many of these.

Do you think there will be a market for this type of accessory in the future?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you want to burn money on that, sure. I'd prefer to never have to use or see it personally.

Do you really want to buy things you shouldn't really need to buy like a Kinect dressing?

When I had a Kinect I would unplug it when not in use. I also have a sticker over my laptop webcam. Silly, I know, but it makes me feel better.

glaurung

When I had a Kinect I would unplug it when not in use. I also have a sticker over my laptop webcam. Silly, I know, but it makes me feel better.
Kinect 2.0 cannot be unplugged. Xbox One will stop working until you reconnect it.

I personally would just turn the camera to face the wall. No idea what to do with the microphone though. Corrosive acid?

eot

Banned
I too enjoy buying things to disable the things I bought.

Actually, I'd rather not buy the thing in the first place.

Mik2121

I'll just unplug it if the console is off, or make it look towards the ceiling if I'm not using it but the console is on.

I just don't like a camera actively staring at me :/

Edit: Wow, wow! For a second there I was talking like I would even buy this. Not for now, not...

Alienous

I thought this thread had something to do with putting the cover of a game up to Kinect, and it starting that game for you.

Never mind.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, someone actually already had the idea for the old Kinect. Pritect is the company that makes it. I highly doubt they have sold many of these.

Possibly -- as long as it isn't that much (i.e.: no more than $10).

I'm kind of intrigued by the functionality of the new Kinect, but not so much about the 'always on' aspect of it. So, it got me thinking about ways you could block the camera when not in use. I thought an actual custom-fit cover would be a cool idea.

Might be annoying to do that because as far as I know, The Kinect is used to detect who you are and which controller you are using. I'm not sure if the system would function at all if you had it covered.

Bgamer90

Banned
Might be annoying to do that because as far as I know, The Kinect is used to detect who you are and which controller you are using. I'm not sure if the system would function at all if you had it covered.

Yeah, that's a good point. Might be some quirks in other areas if you cover up the kinect.

Top Bottom