• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals |OT| Preseason’s over, it’s time to take sides

EBE

I can't get bowling to work for shit. I get no spin on the ball at all and it seems my best tactic is just lining up in the middle and flinging it. So disappointing when in Wii Sports you can put such pinpoint spin on it. Am I just doing this wrong? Wtf.
its a twist of the arm upon release - after youve pulled back and then pushed forward to let the ball go, twist your arm to the left (so that your palm is facing away from you) to spin in that direction, or twist you arm to the right (so that your open palm is now facing toward you) to spin that direction. its a little tricky though. have you checked for videos online?
Does Tennis seem to be fundamentally broken for anyone else? It fails to register 50% or more of my swings.
all the sports have worked flawlessly for me (granted, i havent played in a few days because of some college stuff i have going on). are you sure youre swinging on time? ive quickly learned the correct timing for most incoming shots if i want to get a perfect hit.

Reallink

its a twist of the arm upon release - after youve pulled back and then pushed forward to let the ball go, twist your arm to the left (so that your palm is facing away from you) to spin in that direction, or twist you arm to the right (so that your open palm is now facing toward you) to spin that direction. its a little tricky though. have you checked for videos online?

all the sports have worked flawlessly for me (granted, i havent played in a few days because of some college stuff i have going on). are you sure youre swinging on time? ive quickly learned the correct timing for most incoming shots if i want to get a perfect hit.

Nothing to do with timing, the Avatar just spazzes out like the infamous "bottom of the shoe" debacle and doesn't register a swing at all. Tennis just happens to be the least forgiving and most obvious to outright recog failures, but I have had similar problems with Soccer and have never once gotten Bowling to see spin.

I do get spin, but I can't do it with consistency.

Yeah I just played against my son and got spin 4 times, all strikes. Twice got them back to back, then trying the same motion hoping for a turkey, I got no spin whatsoever. Seems really inconsistent. And to whoever mentioned tennis earlier, yeah, it seems laughably bad. Tried it just now for the first time, gave up 5 straight thanks to my character not doing shit so I quit out of it.

Wake boarding seems spot on and soccer too, though its really basic. I hope climbing is good too, otherwise this seems like it was a waste of money since only a couple of sports are working for me.

For the people with issues... are you wearing dark clothing?

I was playing tennis (with black pants) and my avatar was weird, I changed my pants for a blue shorts and everything was ok.

EBE

For the people with issues... are you wearing dark clothing?

I was playing tennis (with black pants) and my avatar was weird, I changed my pants for a blue shorts and everything was ok.

that cant be it. ive played most of my sessions at night while wearing dark clothing and ive not had a single hit fail to register, be it a serve shot or a return shot, top spin or back spin.

Reallink, have you properly set up your kinect? adjusted the angle, gone into the settings and told it where your floor is and all that?

nillapuddin

Wave Racing
  • holds on to its crown of the most consistent, best controlling and best looking sport in the game, very satisfying experience, every time.

Rock Climbing
  • continues to perform well, although for some reason my friend who is 5'5" is a god tier king kong trail blazing monster at the game, while everyone else is miles behind.

His character simply grabs rocks at near vertical intervals, skipping rows constantly, I have no idea why.

He barely moves at all, he looks like hes swimming when he moves his arms and just obliterates everyone. This sport is no longer fun.

Bowling
  • After maybe 10 combined games with 2 people, I have yet to see a spin on the ball. I also have greater success pitching it like a baseball than rolling it on the ground. Still very fun.

Tennis
  • As someone who played IRL for many years, my first 3 games were very challenging

You cannot "walk around" a backhand to hit a forehand, you cannot hit a two-handed backhand, and you must keep your body perfectly square to the net at all times.*

*inmyexperiences

Target Shooting
  • is serviceable at best.

Soccer
  • is awful.

Ade

I've not had much issue with it, once I worked out how to actually play most of the sports; ie: not like you actually play the sports.

Wake Racing is easy and responsive enough.

Climbing doesn't like tall people, even with everything calibrated perfectly and a lot of space it frequently complains it can't see my finger tips when Im stretched. Doesn't seem to cause issues in play though, its stupidly easy. (Im 6 foot and have long arms)

Bowling is simple enough, can't EVER spin a ball though.

Tennis is a curious one, you basically can't move your body or it goes strange. You just flail your arm.

Target shooting is perfectly fine, and probably my favourite sport.

Football is a mess. Its not fun. At All.

Durock

I feel so bad for Rare now. With Kinect becoming optional, it's likely Rivals' sells will decline. Not really sure how it's doing in the first place, but VG Chartz suggests it currently sits at around 130,000 worldwide. I don't believe that's a very impressive number?

Regardless of, I suspect that Rare's next titles will be less Kinect focused now. Or at the very least, one of them.

EBE

I feel so bad for Rare now. With Kinect becoming optional, it's likely Rivals' sells will decline. Not really sure how it's doing in the first place, but VG Chartz suggests it currently sits at around 130,000 worldwide. I don't believe that's a very impressive number?

Regardless of, I suspect that Rare's next titles will be less Kinect focused now. Or at the very least, one of them.

it will probably be packed in as a bundle once the standalone kinect hits. but yeah, its a sad state to be in, as i feel the game is rather okay (if a bit light on content, as others have said).

i do think they'll continue to use kinect where appropriate, though. a Champions scanning system in a new perfect dark game would be cool for multiplayer and im sure other applications could be found. i dont think this move by MS will mean theyll let their knowledge of the hardware go to waste

sangreal

I only got spin working reliably once (for the stupid challenge I paid for) so I planted my feet and refused to move them until the round ended. It still managed to randomly stop working for 2 frames and ruin my day though:

bowling.jpg

While I enjoy the game to some extent, I don't feel it was deserving of more sales. It really needs to be F2P. It's nowhere close to $60 worth of content, and then they nickel and dime you for scraps

lil smoke

Banned
It seems pretty good tbh.

I've only tried climbing, bowling and of course the jet skis.

Trying to figure out how to move ahead with the character, seems a little confusing atm.

sangreal

got this message this morning:

Hi! We're excited to announce that the Killer Instinct Challenge Pack will be out soon. As you've downloaded all the other available Challenge Packs, we'll complete the set for free - find it in game soon! Thanks for your support. The KSR team

Guess it will be for climbing

Alx

As much as I appreciate the game, I think the challenge packs are rip-offs, I tried one but paid far too much to get three challenges that are not better than the free monthly (weekly ?) ones, and getting a costume and an achievement for that price isn't worth it.

Right now the games I play the most are Tennis, Football (it becomes much better at higher levels) and Shooting. I like bowling though (concerning spin, almost all my throws have spin, I just throw them with an exaggerated side move, almost like I was hitting a ping pong ball).
Climbing is surprisingly the one I appreciate the least. The gameplay and design is fine, but the game can become frustrating when you get stuck or can't do what you'd like.

Ade

got this message this morning:

Hi! We're excited to announce that the Killer Instinct Challenge Pack will be out soon. As you've downloaded all the other available Challenge Packs, we'll complete the set for free - find it in game soon! Thanks for your support. The KSR team

Guess it will be for climbing

Thats nice of them I guess, I only downloaded/bought 2 of them, so no nice message for me.

On a related note, anyone want a Perfect Dark Costume Pack?

I have a spare, PM me.

sangreal

got my code for the KI pack today. I guess they realized I actually never bought the blast corps pack because they sent me a free code for that too

Might as well unlock them now I suppose. The challenges are usually decent, I just think they're a bad deal because you only get an outfit for one sport

Alx

I noticed there is a nation-themed competition during the world cup, where any point you score in KSR while wearing the jersey of your country is cumulated. Is there one place online where we can check the current results ?

Alx

Woohoo, I made France climb up 3 ranks !
Or at least it climbed three ranks in the duration of my last game session.:p
19th isn't much, though. I could try the tennis challenge to add more points, but I don't know how to pull off aces.

Ade

Woohoo, I made France climb up 3 ranks !
Or at least it climbed three ranks in the duration of my last game session.:p
19th isn't much, though. I could try the tennis challenge to add more points, but I don't know how to pull off aces.

Im quite enjoying these timed challenges to help your country, took me bloody ages to get 2 aces though!

Alx

Yeah I finally managed to pull them off too. The current challenges are easier, I did the 5 strikes this morning already, and will go at the 15 blocks at football this evening.

But that makes me remember : wasn't the purpose of that whole clan thing (Wolf, Eagle, Viper) to be able to cumulate individual scores in a similar manner ? I don't think there's a place where we can check the progress of each team,is there ?

Alx

I just noticed now that they removed the small unskippable cutscenes at the beginning of each event. Nice. I like those little stealth improvements. :)

Top Bottom