• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't think this was posted. Gamesradar round-table, they basically try to review it in general without reviewing it, if you get my drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhoYPSuWKsc&feature=player_embedded

They gravitate toward Fighters Uncaged and Joyride as the better games (they don't appear to have had Dance Central). But overall it doesn't sound very encouraging at all.

edit - don't know why MS didn't go with the same 'mirror of you' concept for interface stuff as eyetoy. Sounds like they're trying to be fancier and it just doesn't work.

Rad-

gofreak said:
Don't think this was posted. Gamesradar round-table, they basically try to review it in general without reviewing it, if you get my drift.

They gravitate toward Fighters Uncaged and Joyride as the better games (they don't appear to have had Dance Central). But overall it doesn't sound very encouraging at all.

edit - don't know why MS didn't go with the same 'mirror of you' concept for interface stuff as eyetoy. Sounds like they're trying to be fancier and it just doesn't work.

That's about how I see "gamers" reviewing Kinect.

Oh and now the video got removed? :lol

Foxix Von

gofreak said:

Crap looks like they took it down. While not exactly glowing in any regards it was still informative, and completely welcome to the plethora of non-information out there. =/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's the cliff notes if you can't watch it:

- Fighters Uncaged and Joyride maybe the more 'gamer-y' games

- One says that there are genuine 'high-fun' moments to be had but that it's not reliable/consistent enough to seem professional.

- Interface stuff is worse than eyetoy according to them. Paraphrasing, but they say it feels like a piece of elastic is connecting your hand to the cursor onscreen. Inadvertent selection is also a problem.

- They mention Fighters Uncaged has a surprising amount of tactical depth. They say that sometimes you feel very 'connected' to the game, but that sometimes it throws in seemingly random stuff on top that you don't feel like you're controlling.

- Two of the three say Joyride is a 'perfectly legitimate' kart racer underneath it all, but they seem to suggest the controls get in the way of it. They compare to 3D, where you put on the glasses and you're focussed on the 3D rather than the content. Here they say that you're so focussed on trying to control it, rather than enjoying it. They say this would be a 'fine, cool racer with a gamepad'. The third guy disagrees and says that even with a gamepad it would be lacking.

- Kinectimals they say looks nice and that's about all they say about it.

- The overall impression seems to be that it might be better for kids, but 'not for us'. They close with a variety of negative sounds/facial expressions which I suppose was their surrogate for a score in this 'review that's not a review'.

Kafel

Banned
It's the second time that JoyRide gets a nice mention, after the surprising comment from Destructoid.

That one might be a sleeper hit if pushed like MK Wii.

What did they say about Kinect Sports/Your Shape ?

robor

InaudibleWhispa said:
Kinect has the advantage of giving the player complete control of the throw though, so you can throw it over arm or even hadouken it if you want. They're going more for fun than a direct translation of the sport.

It also has the advantage of missing the entire point.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kafel said:
It's the second time that JoyRide gets a nice mention, after the surprising comment from Destructoid.

They said nothing about either of those titles. The video was very much a "we just played some games in a few hour long session and here's what we think."

And don't read too much into the JoyRide stuff. It seemed like one guy picked it out because he identified it as an actual game. Another guy stepped in and said it was far inferior to other kart racing games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kafel said:
It's the second time that JoyRide gets a nice mention.

The Joyride stuff wasn't that positive. They were fairly positive about the game underneath, but I thought that the interface was getting in the way of them appreciating the game more is quite a knock (of Kinect if not of Joyride itself).

I don't think they had Your Shape. Not sure if Kinect Sports was in there, they had maybe 5 games in front of them. Kinectimals, Joy Ride, Fighters Uncaged, Kinect Adventures I guess...and... (?)

edit - actually there was just four games. I have the video still loaded in one of my browser windows.

Kafel

Banned
jump_button said:
Its not good PR to have a embargo I think MS played this safe will come back and bite them back.

Narrow minded hardcore gamers "meh" reviews will be drowned by casuals' positive word of mouth all around.

onken

Damn, went to have some food and when I got back the vid had been yanked :/

Kafel said:
Narrow minded hardcore gamers "meh" reviews will be drowned by casuals' positive word of mouth all around.

Yeah because only narrow minded people could possibly find Kinect "meh" right?

Lakitu

st5fu
Well it doesn't bode well since the embargo lift is the release day. Just a shame that video has been taken down.

Kafel

Banned
onken said:
Yeah because only narrow minded people could possibly find Kinect "meh" right?

sarcasm-detector.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Lakitu said:
Well it doesn't bode well since the embargo lift is the release day. Just a shame that video has been taken down.
Eh, it seems release day embargoes are pretty much standard these days.

So 3 out of 4 Gamestops in my immediate area are doing a midnight launch.

Yet one of my friends who works there had said that the preorders were really low and they're banking on spreading WOM today and get people to come in tonight and check it out.

They open at 10PM in some stores, 11PM at others, and there will be fun. I encourage everyone to at least drive by, or participate, even if youre not buying. At worst you'll get free swag.

onken

Kafel said:
http://www.contraditorium.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sarcasm-detector.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I love how people are supposed to assume sarcasm in a medium that has no way of communicating the signs that would usually indicate it.

Dunlop

I normally agree that reviewas embargoes are bad, except this is pretty standard for MS. Also they are putting 500 million dollars behind this, a review embargo would "fool" initial buyers but the real x-mas shopping season is not for at least another month and the word would leak out long before that.

cjelly said:
Eh, it seems release day embargoes are pretty much standard these days.

If MS was happy with it they would want everyone to talk about it as much as they can befor launch.

Same with any game or movie and if they dont want them to talk about it then well you know somthing smells like....

derFeef

jump_button said:
If MS was happy with it they would want everyone to talk about it as much as they can befor launch.

Same with any game or movie and if they dont want them to talk about it then well you know somthing smells like....
So why did they put up demo stations around the world and had the tour where everyone can play it and talk about it?

Dynoro

jump_button said:

Forza, Alan Wake and Gears Of War 2 all had review embargoes - guess they reviewed poorly too...

Alx

jump_button said:

Embargoes may be a way to do damage control, but I think it's also used to keep the hype at a given level. They need to make sure that there is enough fresh info on a given product when it releases so that it gets an image of "the latest new thing" and have everybody talk about it at the same time.
If there were plenty of reviews of the different games months before their release, it would be an old story before it even begins.

Its starting to sound they shouldve hoyed out joyride as both kinect and controller game if its as good as they say underneath the motion controls.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
derFeef said:
So why did they put up demo stations around the world and had the tour where everyone can play it and talk about it?
So why is information under such lock down just one day prior to release? Journalists are all being kept from talking about it. What's the deal?

A quick public demonstration is very different than a proper review based on extended playtime. It's easier to be forgiving in a demo environment especially when testing new technology.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
So why is information under such lock down just one day prior to release? Journalists are all being kept from talking about it. What's the deal?

A quick public demonstration is very different than a proper review based on extended playtime. It's easier to be forgiving in a demo environment especially when testing new technology.

I think you answered yourself. Edit - ah you were being rhetorical. Sorry :p

Lakitu

st5fu
dark10x said:

It's obvious they are concerned about the reception, considering that Gamesradar roundtable was removed.

GhaleonEB

dark10x said:

Aye, the reviews are going to be brutal. MS's spin is predictable, of course: it's not for them. But you don't embargo reviews you think will be good until the day of release.

Xater

supermackem said:
Its starting to sound they shouldve hoyed out joyride as both kinect and controller game if its as good as they say underneath the motion controls.

You mean like it was intendedi n the beginning?

Shurs

Lakitu said:
It's obvious they are concerned about the reception, considering that Gamesradar roundtable was removed.

Not necessarily. It is possible that they're just holding them to the NDA so all sites have an equal chance to get hits once the embargo ends.

TheOddOne

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, the reviews are going to be brutal. MS's spin is predictable, of course: it's not for them. But you don't embargo reviews you think will be good until the day of release.
We had this discussion once before in this thread, its like we are going in circles.

GhaleonEB said:

They always did that. They did for Halo Reach, too.

The reviews are going to be interesting, to say the least.

I really feel that gaming sites that are usually more hardcore are going to rip it a new one. I mean, their audience want to know about Kinect as a gaming platform that fits their needs and even I, who am really looking forward to tomorrow, understand that this is a) something that is very divisive and b) from the outset is going to appeal more to families than lone gamers. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to get reviewed this way, it absolutely does and when it is, is likely going to garner sour comments and remarks. I mean, when Sonic Free Riders and Fighters Uncaged are being mentioned as the most core games at launch, then yeah...

However, I think that more mainstream sites such as IGN are going to be much more lenient and base their reviews with the target audience in mind. I'm not sure that the target audience reads IGN, but they at least like to think they do. Newspapers and other wide forms of media are going to pour love on it, but that's to be expected.

As much as it grates my nerves when Amir0x posts in a Kinect thread, he has valid points when he speaks of what Kinect is and its relation to this board, which is by and large hardcore gamers. It's not lag free, it's not as precise as a controller, the games coming out for it at launch are mostly casual-friendly. On a place like GAF, that is a combination that is never going to win the popular opinion.

I'm much more interested in the tech than I am the games. However, I'm fairly certain that I will still have fun with it playing with the entire family.

Xater

Personally I just can't wait for all the upcomming videos. They should provide alot of lulz especially from the GB crew.

GhaleonEB

Littleberu said:
They always did that. They did for Halo Reach, too.
Nope. Reach's embargo was a few days before release, not same day, which is more typical. The embargo lifted the Saturday before (the 10th). And it was the same as Halo 3, ODST and Halo 2.

GhaleonEB said:
Nope. Reach's embargo was a few days before release, not same day, which is more typical. The embargo lifted the Saturday before (the 10th). And it was the same as Halo 3, ODST and Halo 2.

Ahhh, right. Well, yeah.

Anyhow, they do that with movies, too. Movies that won't be reviewed well. But people love to see SAW movies and such, so it doesn't matter.

In this case, reviews would only be used as arguments for whatever camp you are in ; if you want to try KINECT, you've got many ways to do so before tomorrow.

Torgo

I consider myself a kart-racer fanatic, and after playing Joyride 4 times now (E3 and PAX) all I can say is that's it's BARELY a kart-racer. Control is sluggish and inconsistent, and the track design is lazy and definitely made to compensate for the unresponsive controls.

I have video of people trying to play it at PAX, and after hanging-out for over an hour, most people just seemed flat-out confused at what they were supposed to do.

TheOddOne said:
Maby its just me, but if you had time to read that persons comment.. you could take time to read the page before.

There have been occasions when I've simply scanned a page and a particular post has caught my attention, enough to respond without knowing the exact details of the conversation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gowans, when the embargo ends you should consider putting up the complete list of titles along with the Metacritic review counts and scores in the OP, like what I've been doing in the Playstation Move thread. If you do the initial legwork, I'd be happy to update everything every few days.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Gowans, when the embargo ends you should consider putting up the complete list of titles along with the Metacritic review counts and scores in the OP, like what I've been doing in the Playstation Move thread. If you do the initial legwork, I'd be happy to update everything every few days.

Where is the Move review thread?

TheOddOne

Opus Angelorum said:
There have been occasions when I've simply scanned a page and a particular post has caught my attention, enough to respond without knowing the exact details of the conversation.
I usually read up on whats been going. For me it like making a new thread, while not searching if that thread already exists.

Gowans

Stumpokapow said:
Nice timing, just about to take a break at work and get on it.

TheOddOne said:
I usually read up on whats been going. For me it like posting a new thread, while not searching if that thread already exists.

I think that's the right thing to do for most threads, but some of the [OT] threads have an immense number of posts. It's very time consuming to read everything.

Top Bottom