• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
InaudibleWhispa said:
Maybe it is, I haven't experienced it, but in terms of gameplay and presentation, Dance Central looks like the next step to me.
Dance Central puts the player in the action with the freestyle/pictures part. I think this mere feature makes it more appealing. I don't see a night and day difference in terms of fun to be had in both games, but overall Dance Central is certainly a better game.

marc^o^ said:
Dance Central puts the player in the action with the freestyle/pictures part. I think this mere feature makes it more appealing. I don't see a night and day difference in terms of fun to be had in both games, but overall Dance Central is certainly a better game.
If casual players are fully playing along with both games, they'll probably have fairly equal amounts of fun, true. But I know my friends would cheat when playing Just Dance and put in a half-arsed effort to fully dance whilst making sure their Wii remote swings are close to perfect. With Dance Central, if they want to beat me, they're going to have to really get their dance on!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is Dance Masters even a launch game? I've seen little to no mention of it and it seems like it could be more fun than Dance Central, to be honest.

Mashing

Ugh... the fact that you have to have a lot of light is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I usually like to play my games in the dark (or with only a bit of lamp light). It's unnatural for me to play games with the room lights on.

Mashing said:
Ugh... the fact that you have to have a lot of light is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I usually like to play my games in the dark (or with only a bit of lamp light). It's unnatural for me to play games with the room lights on.
Only for video-specific features, like Kinect ID or picture taking. You can play the games with virtually no light otherwise and the same applies to the Kinect hub navigation.

Mashing said:
Where the hell are you getting this. I was playing with some ambient light, and I don't consider it bright in any way. The MS setup in the Midnight launch was even worse, dark tents, and it had still worked pretty well.

Unless you are playing in a completely dark room, I don't think it's even an issue.

marc^o^

InaudibleWhispa said:
If casual players are fully playing along with both games, they'll probably have fairly equal amounts of fun, true. But I know my friends would cheat when playing Just Dance and put in a half-arsed effort to fully dance whilst making sure their Wii remote swings are close to perfect. With Dance Central, if they want to beat me, they're going to have to really get their dance on!
Focus is less about competition and more about harmony in Just Dance 2, with a duet mode. You have two different choregraphies for the same songs, and you try to be synchronized with your partner. It's a different approach.

Mashing

AlphaTwo00 said:
Where the hell are you getting this. I was playing with some ambient light, and I don't consider it bright in any way. The MS setup in the Midnight launch was even worse, dark tents, and it had still worked pretty well.

Unless you are playing in a completely dark room, I don't think it's even an issue.

From the Yahoo review above. I haven't tried it myself, and yes, I do tend to play in a completely dark room with very little ambient light.

Xater

Carl said:

They don't seem to be too impressed with Kinect overall so far.

For all the talk of revolutionizing the Xbox 360 experience and making gaming more natural/ accessible, it's bordering on absurd how broken Kinect is when it comes to something as simple as working in your home. I find the technology itself fascinating, but the fact that I know a lot of people who simply won't get Kinect to work in their rooms beyond troubling. Given that Microsoft conducted a beta program with actual consumers, this issue is doubly surprising, but it could just be that Kinect just works that way (or doesn't, given your room) and there's no way short of redesigning the sensor to fix it.

If Kinect does work for you, congratulations: you have what amounts -- for now -- to a novelty peripheral that is in no way geared towards the day-one buyer or "core" gamer. Microsoft conceived a potential game-changer with Project Natal, it just seems like Kinect was born prematurely.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-review/

Cornbread78

From all the predictions and marketing out there, and the fact that GameStop was not doing a midnight launch, I was expecting lines last night at the store (the only 24 hour one around), but there was noone there and only received 1 call on it.... Did anyone else see thi type of activity?

marc^o^

Kinect Adventure: 4/10 on Gamekult.com.

They say it's boring after 30mn, a mediocre casual novelty you will put in your system every six months, to show to friends who are curious about it.

carlosp

Banned
Speevy said:
So these seem more like typical launch scores for a platform made in the last 5 years.

As a matter of fact these may be better than the scores and impressions the DS launched with.

I'd love to at least try the Kinect, but my bed is cutting off its view of my lower body, and there's no room to get around.

what? your bed? are you in your bed all the time? Why is that? :S

I just don't get it.

The biggest complaint seems to be space requirements and the hub.

The space thing is dumb, you need fuckin room. Period. Standing 4-5 feet from the TV would be pretty close especially for two people your hit one another as well, should be obvious.

The hub could have just been designed better, but regardless its not why i got the kinect.

The only thing I took away was launch games stink, and really I'm not surprised. I am excited on the other hand to see what the XBLA and Indie community does with Kinect as well as up coming games in the next few months. Sure it's disappointing, but really I assumed I'd end up with sports and adventures for the first month or so.

Now if the system doesn't preform well, thats another story, but there's no accounting for people being uncoordinated either. I'll post back later once it arrives with my own impressions.

Big One said:
Wow...I don't mean to sound hyperbolic here but the lag on this is abyssmal.

I thought Kinect was just laggy at the E3 showings because the footage was pre-shot and/or it was still in work.

But this looks no different than what we've been seeing at E3.

I know the Wiimote has problems with calibration sometimes, but I've never really experienced lag as shown in that video.

To be fair we're probably going to get some good games for Kinect, but right now? Yeah, no.

Why would you there totally different things.:lol

JWong

Banned
HenryGale said:
The space thing is dumb, you need fuckin room. Period. Standing 4-5 feet from the TV would be pretty close especially for two people your hit one another as well, should be obvious.
How is it a "dumb" complaint when it is a huge oversight that people do not have that kind of room to begin with.

marc^o^

JWong said:
How is it a "dumb" complaint when it is a huge oversight that people do not have that kind of room to begin with.
Kinect will likely struggle in Japan for this mere reason indeed.

dark10x said:
Is Dance Masters even a launch game? I've seen little to no mention of it and it seems like it could be more fun than Dance Central, to be honest.
we had copies in the back room of my gamestop last night ready for launch today, so yeah, it is.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HenryGale said:
I just don't get it.

The biggest complaint seems to be space requirements and the hub.

An add on device for a console that requires you to rearrange your living space isn't just a bit silly? How many families do you think have 8 feet of space in front of their TV without rearranging their room?

Also, sunlight.

Chris Kohler said:
Let’s get the biggest problem out of the way first: Direct sunlight on your body kills Kinect. Sunshine doesn’t make the controller slightly less accurate — it completely obliterates the sensor’s ability to see you. I was rocking out to Lady Gaga in Harmonix’s excellent Kinect launch title Dance Central, but as soon as the sun streamed in through my west-facing windows that afternoon, the game couldn’t read my poker face — or my poker arms or poker legs, for that matter.

Closing my blinds helped a little, but the sunlight that shone in through the cracks and hit parts of my body caused me to be invisible in Kinect’s eyes.

dark10x

plagiarize said:
we had copies in the back room of my gamestop last night ready for launch today, so yeah, it is.
Interesting.

Disappointing that there is virtually no coverage of it.

JWong said:
how is it an oversight on MS's part? something like this being camera based, that does full motion tracking is going to require you (or however many players) are far enough away to be seen.

the space requirements are on the box, and MS encourage sales people to point them out before completing the sale.

it's not an oversight, it's a reality of tech like this. maybe we'll get tech that fixes that one day, but many of us do have the space and MS have done their best to educate people about what it needs.

motion games require space. kinect does require a bit more yes, but that's not an oversight.

Mr_Zombie

JWong said:
It is a "dumb" complaint because it isn't something that's Microsoft's fault but rather... well, a natural limitation. The camera needs to see most of your body and you need enough space to freely move around (stretch your arms, legs etc) without running into walls and furnitures.

If you don't have enough room, then how would you even want to play those full-body motion games?

Dunlop

Kintaro said:
An add on device for a console that requires you to rearrange your living space isn't just a bit silly?

While I might fall victim to this as well, it is a limitation of the technology (the camera needs to fit you and the floor in the frame), it is not something that MS can correct easily or obviously it would have been done.

Like you mention, it is an addon...you don't need to buy it

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dunlop said:
While I might fall victim to this as well, it is a limitation of the technology (the camera needs to fit you and the floor in the frame), it is not something that MS can correct easily or obviously it would have been done.

But, this is the next step in games! Controller free (Call of Duty comes out the week after btw)! We are free from our shackles! We NEED this!

=) I kid. However, its a very expensive gamble for an add on. MS sure doesn't want a 32x on their hands so I would have thought that space would have been thought out a bit more. Limitation to the technology isn't really an excuse. People don't care. When you ask them to rearrange their homes? They start to care.

jax (old)

Banned
anyhow, the 1up dance central video seems were extremely amusing to watch. The 2 guys dancing seemed to have a great time. I want this now.

Hanmik

Kintaro said:
An add on device for a console that requires you to rearrange your living space isn't just a bit silly? How many families do you think have 8 feet of space in front of their TV without rearranging their room?

Also, sunlight.

guess this guy didn´t get the message to rearrange his room.. or even tidy up his room..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2GIcJQB5s

maybe his X360 is broken.. because it did not tell him to clean up his room.. :D

Jokergrin

Dunlop said:

C'mon, so its not reasonable to expect Microsoft to rewrite the laws of physics? Please.

Kintaro said:
But, this is the next step in games! Controller free (Call of Duty comes out the week after btw)! We are free from our shackles! We NEED this!

=) I kid. However, its a very expensive gamble for an add on. MS sure doesn't want a 32x on their hands so I would have thought that space would have been thought out a bit more. Limitation to the technology isn't really an excuse. People don't care. When you ask them to rearrange their homes? They start to care.

You know, i thought it was expensive too until i put it in perspective with things like rock band and the like (RB3 with keyboard is $130)

Hugbot

Mr_Zombie said:
It is a "dumb" complaint because it isn't something that's Microsoft's fault but rather... well, a natural limitation. The camera needs to see most of your body and you need enough space to freely move around (stretch your arms, legs etc) without running into walls and furnitures.

If you don't have enough room, then how would you even want to play those full-body motion games?
It doesn't have to be microsoft's fault for it to be a problem.

Hanmik

plagiarize said:
he's got his camera off center too, and it seems to be working in less than ideal conditions.

seems so.. but we cannot see the screen because of the lighting.. it is realy hard to see whether it works or not.. :D

HenryGale said:

Oh I disagree. Whether it's simply a staple of the tech that they couldn't work around or not, it is a big deal.

You can't really pretend it's not important, because it is. The same problems apply to Wii and PlayStation Move of course, but it's slightly easier to accomodate for them as opposed to this it seems.

It clearly is going to be an issue.

dark10x

get2sammyb said:
Oh I disagree. Whether it's simply a staple of the tech that they couldn't work around or not, it is a big deal.

You can't really pretend it's not important, because it is. The same problems apply to Wii and PlayStation Move of course, but it's slightly easier to accomodate for them as opposed to this it seems.

It clearly is going to be an issue.
Yeah, I used to have serious problems with the Wii sensor bar in my old apartment (where there was a door near the TV which resulted in sunlight throwing off the IR camera). Works great in my new theater, though.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Revelation

full body motion games require space --

I can't get kinect because its not wireless, i am in the same (if not worse position) than Dark10x ...I am not running another cable in the wall and through the ceiling.

Isn't there some wireless/bluetooth device that you can plug on the end of a usb to make it wireless (and of course the other side)? would seem like the tech for that exists.

Jokergrin said:
C'mon, so its not reasonable to expect Microsoft to rewrite the laws of physics? Please.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the surprise here. It's like being astonished that you can't play your handheld from across the room.

It's a camera tracking your entire body flailing around, people. Of course you have to stand far back from the TV.

marc^o^

Kinect Review: MTV

"when it comes to quality, there's simply nothing on the level of a "Wii Sports" or a "Gears of War" in that line-up...the sort of launch game that will convince you that your $150 was well-spent.

In addition, there's a whole mess of really dreadful games for Kinect which you should avoid like the plague. Games that either don't work or are the total opposite of fun.

The first of these disaster games is "Kinect Sports," which clearly attempted to cash-in on the "Wii Sports" phenomenon, but ended up being a mix of sub-par minigames with poor controls.

"Joy Ride" is another one to avoid. The "Mario Kart"-style racer has you driving a car by sticking your arms out in front of you...something that will get old and exhausting after the first race (let alone after a dozen). Insensitive controls don't help, and you're likely to be slamming into walls more often than not.

If you're the sort of person fascinated by new technology, who needs to be on the cutting edge of gaming, Kinect is worth your time. Some of the games are genuinely fun and you may get some use out of video chat. It's also extremely cool tech and the experience of playing it is unlike anything I've seen before.

On the flip-side, if you're a non-gamer who bought the Wii a few years ago to play "Wii Sports" and "Wii Fit," but you haven't touched the console in months, you should skip out on Kinect, as it's likely to gather even more dust in your apartment.

As for the hardcore gamers, you should wait it out. Despite the cool tech, none of the launch games are going to be anything you'll be playing a month from now""

They like the technology but fear it will share the same fate as WiiFit until new games arrive in 2011.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Yeah, I'm not understanding the surprise here. It's like being astonished that you can't play your handheld from across the room.

It's a camera tracking your entire body flailing around, people. Of course you have to stand far back from the TV.

If the cam had a wider field of view and they tuned the ir projector differently it may have been possible to accommodate more ranges.

Of course physics isn't MS's fault, but it's their responsibility to make something practical within the bounds of physics! :)

The MTV review is interesting. But again highlights notable reliability issues. '90%' reliability in even ideal circumstances is actually pretty bad, if judging it solely as an interface.

marc^o^ said:
They like the technology but fear it will share the same fate as WiiFit until new games arrive in 2011.

It appears like they have been burnt on some of the bad games and make an article about it instead of making an article about KINECT.

dark10x

K.Jack said:
That Times review is the kind of hyperbole that only money can buy.
As others have noted, that writer is the king of hyperbole. Everything he reviews is the best thing ever, according to his articles.

I found this one particularly entertaining, however, as he seems totally enamored with the voice recognition. 70% of the review focuses on this one feature, a feature which has been present in many other devices for quite a few years now.

Top Bottom