• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters 14 Steam May 2017

Newboi

Awesome news! I'm glad I didn't bite on the PS4 release. I've been meaning to get into KoF. I'll definitely be purchasing this and Tekken 7 on the PC. I may be losing out on the larger community when it comes to online competition, but I'm not overly interested in constant online play.

Tizoc

No confirmation of this yet but I'd think that probably not since it's too close to their console release.

The DLC characters were included in the Steam version of XIII but that version came way, way after the console version and the arcade port of the console version.

Nah, they started from scratch for XIV.

I dunno man, they look pretty similar to me.

BadWolf

I dunno man, they look pretty similar to me.

They aren't, the 3D reference models for XIII look way different (they look very close to the XIII sprites). Just look at K', Kim, Kula, Joe and many more, it's pretty clear that they are not based on their XIII versions.

Also, if you check out those comparison vids from before launch (where people were comparing the combo timings between XIII and XIV in slow-mo) you can see that the poses are different.

Tizoc

They aren't, the 3D reference models for XIII look way different (they look very close to the XIII sprites). Just look at K', Kim, Kula, Joe and many more, it's pretty clear that they are not based on their XIII versions.

Also, if you check out those comparison vids from before launch (where people were comparing the combo timings between XIII and XIV in slow-mo) you can see that the poses are different.

Will do, my main reference was King whose stance resembles her XIII stance @_@

Dinjoralo

Oh yeah, I just realized that this means Tencent owning SNK isn't stopping any kind of Steam release for their games. Kinda runs with what a lot of people were thinking, with how WeGame probably isn't going to try making a splash outside of China.

sibarraz

Banned
Oh yeah, I just realized that this means Tencent owning SNK isn't stopping any kind of Steam release for their games. Kinda runs with what a lot of people were thinking, with how WeGame probably isn't going to try making a splash outside of China.

Tencent doesn't own SNK, they are owned by another chinese company

BigEmil

Oh wow never knew that
Edit oh nvm

Loona

People complained about no Steam ver.? I was under the impression it was one of those 'it'll happen in due time' kind of things.

It was pretty much expected they'd keep it PS4-exclusive for a while, since Sony assisted with the promotion, and who knows, maybe some expenses - still, that didn't prevent some people from complaining of the lack of a PC version on Twitter and 4chan, in the very least.

Momentary

Banned
I hope this supports arbitrary resolutions. I feel like I could probably pull off 8K with this game.

I own every KOF except this and KOF XII... I used to own twelve but I literally threw it away.

I hope this supports arbitrary resolutions. I feel like I could probably pull off 8K with this game.

I own every KOF except this and KOF XII... I used to own twelve but I literally threw it away.

It'd be sad if it didn't considering XIII did :")

Ganyc

Pretty much. PC Fighter populations still pretty poverty lol

didn't KoF XIII on Steam had more players than the console version (because online was way better in the steam version)?

i hope the pc port is as good as the xiii port, and yes, crossplay would be nice

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No confirmation of this yet but I'd think that probably not since it's too close to their console release.

The DLC characters were included in the Steam version of XIII but that version came way, way after the console version and the arcade port of the console version..

True enough, I guess the DLC is also a bit too recent.

sibarraz

Banned
Wait, shit... I definitely remember people talking about KOF14 when the WeGame discussion came up, exclusivity stuff. Must have been wrong.

The expo were this was announced was related to tencent, and people thought that the company would have secured an exclusive for their store, but later SNK confirmed that their event was not related to tencent

Dinjoralo

The expo were this was announced was related to tencent, and people thought that the company would have secured an exclusive for their store, but later SNK confirmed that their event was not related to tencent
Ah, got ya. I knew someone from china owned SNK, but it turns out it Leyou Millenium. Things were jumbled. Still psyched for KOF! Can't wait for all the datamining.

Spman2099

If this is crossplay then it will be good for everyone. The console side desperately needs more players, and I doubt the PC would be able to sustain a healthier playerbase long term. This is the type of game that NEEDS crossplay.

If this is crossplay then it will be good for everyone. The console side desperately needs more players, and I doubt the PC would be able to sustain a healthier playerbase long term. This is the type of game that NEEDS crossplay.

If it has crossplay that's the only way they can justify the $60 price tag. Will probably preorder if it does, will probably wait for sub $20 sale if it doesn't.

didn't KoF XIII on Steam had more players than the console version (because online was way better in the steam version)?

i hope the pc port is as good as the xiii port, and yes, crossplay would be nice

Would be pretty pathetic if the console version had less players than this.

The reason why nobody played the console version online was because the PC version had revamped netcode and it was like 10x better than the console version. On console the game was unplayable even at a 100km radius.

Don't gotta tell me. I bought the game and traded it in the next day that's how bad the online was lol

I thought I read they patched the console version when they launched the Steam one with the better netcode but I guess not. How is the netcode in XIV btw? Typical SNK or actually playable?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I thought I read they patched the console version when they launched the Steam one with the better netcode but I guess not. How is the netcode in XIV btw? Typical SNK or actually playable?

Naa, XIII console never got patched to Steam standards. The game was pretty much at the end of it's patch life, Steam was another attempt to extend it.

XIV's netcode is solid. It's been patched multiple times, it's lobby system is solid, party battle holds up very well for 3 VS 3 play, and it's more towards the "matches handle the same from the start" style of netcode, rather than that type that feels like it's inconsistently adjusting it's reactivity every few frames right under your gameplay.

It's delay based, but solid delay style. Personally, I find this much better than poorly implemented Rollback that kills the ability to follow up on visual confirmations via rewinding states too aggressively. So no once successful sweeps that turn into blocked, countered attacks here, and your hops and frantic footsie movement actually looks consistent, rather than an unnaturally jerky nightmare.

The worse thing about KoF XIV online is probably the fact that a host leaving will kill an entire room. This sucks when you have 12 people who suddenly get thrown to the 4 winds, but being able to jump between different players, match types, and spectating so easily, without having to constantly re-search kinda balances that out.

Anyone know how long the closed beta test is running?

Doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere.

sibarraz

Banned
Wow, the pricing in my country is amazing, the deluxe edition is at 40 dollars for me.

Meanwhile, if I spend 38 dollars, I can buy the amazing season pass 2 of sfv WITHOUT THE FUCKING BASE GAME

Mechazawa

So you just get immediate access? That's pretty cool.

Also slightly mitigates the fact that SNK is dropping this in the same month as a bunch of other PC fighters jesus christ SNK what are you dooooooooing.

Top Bottom