• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV 1.10 Patch Out (US so far)

-hadouken

The ironic thing about that is that everyone is saying that KOF XIII looks better, yet the character models, etc. are in 480i (or 480p), lmao.
I don't give a damn about the resolution - it's the art that matters. The previous sprite based games were pure artistry compared to the generic 3D models in this game. Hoping they go for a cell shaded look for any future Garou titles.

Relique

Not a bit difference, but there is a difference.
Is there any non-graphical improvement?

What is confirmed so far is being able to pick random character and random stages online. Also connection bar indicator changed and seems more accurate to me.

Personally I felt there may have been netcode improvements? The connection felt better with people I have played with before.

Loona

Angel for example had all of them changed aside from the default one. So she basically has five new colors.

Nice - at least one of her old alternates resembled her main a bit too much, so nice to hear. And it looks like one of the new ones makes her resemble VF's Vanessa, which is neat.

thelastword

Banned
This is probably the cleanest looking fighter released this gen, the AA quality is immaculate...Hopefully PS4.PRO gets a proper 4k rez mode....2160p checkerboarded would look ace on top of that AA...

BadWolf

Played against an Andy and was too busy looking at how much better he looks now lol. That black and gold new color of his rocks.

Tbh I now kinda want an option to allow for a more zoomed in camera or one like from Art of Fighting/King of Fighters XII which zooms in and out so we can see the models more up close outside of just DM close ups.

If they do another upgrade patch then I'm hoping it's the lighting for the stages so we can have stuff like different times of day (like in KOF96) or weather (dat KOF99 rain stage). The stages themselves are great and little touches like this would make them that much sweeter.

Personally I felt there may have been netcode improvements? The connection felt better with people I have played with before.

I'm in Canada and played a long session against someone from Japan, the matches were silky smooth. Going by how well the other guy was playing I'm guessing it was smooth on his end as well.

Nice - at least one of her old alternates resembled her main a bit too much, so nice to hear. And it looks like one of the new ones makes her resemble VF's Vanessa, which is neat.

Important to note that she resembles the original VF4 Vanessa and not the lighter looking VF5 Vanessa :p

And yeah Angel's new colors are much better than the old ones.

They also gave Alice a Blue Mary looking palette and apparently one of Athena's new colors looks like a cosplay for some anime (?) character.

They know about the online issues, hopefully it gets fixed soon
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/819110799255842816

So good to see SNK continue responding to and acting on issues quickly.

lupinko

SNK mainly focused on characters & content for this game much more so than graphics, obviously. KOF XIV was their first modern 3D game, after all (or should we say, 2.5D).

When development of KOF XV begins, they can easily focus more on the graphics since they've already made 50 characters & another Kyo skin in 3D while including some more characters that didn't get the 3D treatment yet.

The ironic thing about that is that everyone is saying that KOF XIII looks better, yet the character models, etc. are in 480i (or 480p), lmao.

KOFXIII uses Sprite animation (although the technique did use 3D models for animation reference or whatever ultra time consuming expensive method SNKP tried), trying to do detailed and fluid Sprite animation is already difficult, doing them in HD is even more insane.

BadWolf

Sylvie's win screen is even more glorious now:

C145hSbVEAE0uUb.jpg

KOFXIII uses Sprite animation (although the technique did use 3D models for animation reference or whatever ultra time consuming expensive method SNKP tried), trying to do detailed and fluid Sprite animation is already difficult, doing them in HD is even more insane.

Good 2D animation will look good regardless of resolution.

That's why stuff like Darkstalkers, Last Blade, Garou, Street Fighter III etc. look wonderful even decades later.

yagal

If they do another upgrade patch then I'm hoping it's the lighting for the stages so we can have stuff like different times of day (like in KOF96) or weather (dat KOF99 rain stage). The stages themselves are great and little touches like this would make them that much sweeter.

Yup, the Iori's stage is awful

Very nice upgrade, all the characters are brown now. MAKE KOF GREAT AGAIN

BadWolf

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
cool i might even play it now.
i got it day one.
And stopped playing it after 2 hours.

Will give it a second chance when the patch goed live in europe

Honestly I'm not really liking how the patch made the game look. Yeah it's technically better but everyone looks spray tanned now (kinda has that SFIV look)... And IDK what they did with Kyo's face. Not sure if its just because of the lighting change or they actually changed his model, but it looks pretty bad.
I guess it looks better from far tho...

qcf x2

Is this game good?

It's excellent. Best fighter so far this gen if you're looking at the total package, imo. Certainly the only one I care about at all still: 50 characters, multiple offline/online play modes, online training mode, accessible yet customizable combo mechanics, ez combo option for pure casuals, awesome soundtrack, etc.

Those who were on the fence because of visuals, no excuse now... jump in! I do hope they port this bad boy to Steam before the next one comes out.

I'm not really feeling some of the changes tbh. Some people look darker than they did before and lines are slightly harsher. Also charcter models still look plastic.

Kyne

wanted to see this game in action..

there's like 2 channels and 18 viewers on twitch. Is this game pretty much dead in the water?

13 was so good.

BadWolf

wanted to see this game in action..

there's like 2 channels and 18 viewers on twitch. Is this game pretty much dead in the water.

Not really, there's like 5 tournaments happening this weekend (Korea, Japan, Peru, US etc.)

KOF has never really been big when it comes to streaming on twitch. Chinese streaming sites are another story.

If you want to watch match vids then check out youtube, Gato ray uploads a lot of tournament footage. Though of course most of what you will find right now will be pre 1.10 patch.

Models still aren't great, but makes it look a lot more stylized than before so that' great. This game is awesome and I really hope this helps some people who were deterred by the graphics before to buy it, because that shallowing reasoning really has then missing out on an amazing fighting game.

Also baes Yuri and Leona look amazing, but can I get an Alice?

Budget allocation? Resources? Priorities? Time constraints?

It had 50 characters and 20 arenas at launch.

They could've left it as is since it looked fine enough.

Eh, as fun as it was, it looked like a PS3 game. I don't think people would've minded a delay that would actually benefit the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow iori really looks a lot better!
some characters i can't really spot the difference.

great update.

It seems like the lighting / shading changes have really impacted some character's skin color.

I noticed that Terry has some gross looking shadow / splotches on his neck. Hopefully that'll get patched out eventually since it's pretty obvious.

They had to have changed some of the face models for the a few characters. Kyo and Terry look so different. (and better)

I finally got the chance to install the update.
Overall i think it's a great effort. Game looks more polished rather than the plain look of the previous version.
Only 2 complaints. Everyone looks weirdly tanner now.
And they completely fucked up Kyo. He's the only one (I think) who actually has a different character model now. Not sure why, his model was fine. He looks like a chubby boy now. Like some toy story character. I'm pretty salty about this actually.
They had to have changed some of the face models for the a few characters. Kyo and Terry look so different. (and better)
I don't think terry was changed. Just kyo

sephi22

Holy fuck those pro screenshots. This might be the best looking 2d fighter on ps4 pro after ggxrd series.

Sf models are great but the backgrounds and the way they mesh together is ass

remz

Holy fuck those pro screenshots. This might be the best looking 2d fighter on ps4 pro after ggxrd series.

It's not like the backgrounds in this game look any better.

DR2K

Banned

Once you play SFV on a 75 inch tv you notice how terrible the shadow dithering is. It completely ruins the character models and is incredibly distracting. KOF14 looks beautiful and clean with this update on my display.

Top Bottom