• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has surpassed the 6 million copies mark

DemWalls

A shame, that means that there are at least 6 million would-be Hitlers in this world. Not a very comforting thought, especially in these times.

poodaddy

Fiber optic HDMI (long distance) & USB over ethernet to game from your upstair PC to your downstair TV in full 4K without moving a thing
Hey, so I've got the same exact issue as the other guy but in reverse, my workstation is downstairs and my game room upstairs. How much of a pain in the ass is the process to set up that fiber optic HDMI cable, and would it look decent enough that the wife wouldn't hate it? Would you have good recommendations of specific cables you'd recommend for the job, like what brands are reliable for that? I imagine you wouldn't want some cheap Chinese cable for running that far, so I was wondering if you had some specific recommendations on how to go about setting that up, as I'm thinking about it honestly.... though I hope it's not too expensive lol.

Buggy Loop

Hey, so I've got the same exact issue as the other guy but in reverse, my workstation is downstairs and my game room upstairs. How much of a pain in the ass is the process to set up that fiber optic HDMI cable, and would it look decent enough that the wife wouldn't hate it?

How many floors? I'm gonna guess 2 for typical North American homes with wood framing? How DIY are you? Any crawl space or less than pristine places you think you could run the cable down?

Otherwise its a bit more tricky if everything you will go through is pristine but doable for sure depending on your experience.
It's like ethernet or electrical wire.

Say you start on drywall in basement :
  • If you want to hide everything so you have to find a place where the box will start and that in the wall you drill, you know that the floor(s) above you will also have a wall and not drill into the middle of a room. Use your stud finder to also check if from basement to floor 1 to floor 2 they're relatively aligned, otherwise you will have to drill across studs, which is doable but sucks a tad more. Stud finder also check if you don't get electrical wires / water pipes behind (avoid).
  • You cut a rectangle in the drywall that will receive the wall plate you'll select. Be it to run wires through a brush/flexible plate or to connect to an HDMI 2.1 adapter so you reconnect in the room (looks nicer imo).
  • From that hole, you have to drill to the upper floor through the double/single plate + bottom plate of the floor above with a flexible bit.
  • If that is the first of many floors (2 max i hope?)
    • I suggest removing the baseboard of floor 1 (easy to put back).
      • If ever that the studs are not aligned floor to floor or you NEED to move around on the sides, do it via baseboard, drill into the studs until you get where you want to be to transfer to 2nd floor.
    • Then go to the 2nd floor, make a rectangle hole that fits the plate you picked like you did in basement and then do the drilling down aligned with where the basement to floor 1 hole should be.
    • Now, its fiber optic cables, pulling this sucker too hard is a no, if it stretches too much it can break. Easy way in is to drop the cable from 2nd floor. See it hit the 1st floor via the baseboard, align it with hole going to basement. If its trying to snag a bit in the floor joist between the floor/ceiling plates, then go with a fish tape and pull gently (fibercommand has a stretchy pull string for their fibers that will help)
  • If you have 3 floors, repeat the steps of the 1st floor for 2nd floor (baseboard)
  • If you only had one floor, just make the box as per 2nd floor above and it'll be fast.
But if you're not comfortable, this is an easy job by a local electrician. Won't take him long.

Would you have good recommendations of specific cables you'd recommend for the job, like what brands are reliable for that? I imagine you wouldn't want some cheap Chinese cable for running that far, so I was wondering if you had some specific recommendations on how to go about setting that up, as I'm thinking about it honestly.... though I hope it's not too expensive lol.

If you have a crawlspace or less pristine places to route the cable, then making bigger holes would be less problematic and you could probably get away with a cable that has the HDMI fixed to it (cheaper, cable matter is a good company).

If you want to do like the above with minimal damage, you'll need detachable systems, the fiber optic cable with the snap on adapters such as this which are more expensive. I would prefer the detachable system personally as its much easier to maintain any broken parts or to upgrade it in the future with hdmi 2.1 is replaced or something of the like. The fiber in the wall will always remain the same.

Also do you have ethernet cables going to the upper floor and basement? Cat5e, Cat6 or above? Because HDMI via ethernet can also be a solution but I looked into it less.

Or you can try wired (Ethernet already?) streaming? An Nvidia shield, or an Apple TV 4k (other dongle works too I think?) with the moonlight app. Cheap try and maybe you'll be satisfied. I played years via Steam Link.

Sorry, I tried my best to help, hopefully it didn't discourage you and rather piqued your interest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom