• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Royal Edition for Switch launches in early 2024

Before the "lol" reactions and comments start pouring in, Saber Interactive is handling the port. They're the ones responsible for the "impossible" port of 'The Witcher 3' and have also assisted Crytek with the remasters of the Crysis trilogy, including the Switch version. So, they have extensive experience with the CryEngine, which is the engine this game is based on

All that being said, I'm quite tempted to pick this one up if it releases physically and complete on cart.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Given how terrible PC port is in terms of multi-core/thread CPU utilization and the fact that game pretty much uses 1 core and a couple of threads at best (which is why I'll never play this game).... I can't even imagine how shit this Switch port will be.

Last edited:
I will never pick this up. Cool that it exists.

It'll be interesting to see what has to be cut to get it working. I imagine that with some creative decisions, it could still look semi-decent on the Switch. It's not nearly the fast paced game that Saber has handled in the past with this tech so who knows?

Phase

Will run like a dream.
slideshow GIF
or
Surprised Meme GIF

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
My brain was like "Kingdom Come - SEQUEL! :D:D:D .."Switch".. :(:(:("

I need to spend a few extra ms to process the whole title before dialing up the excitement I guess.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Even if it runs like ass, the game is so good it's worth experiencing if you have no other options of playing it.

Reactions: Gp1

YuLY

Hasnt it been like almost 6 years since this came to PC ?? are these people working on anything else, or they gonna milk their only game till eternity ?

Denton

Given how terrible PC port is in terms of multi-core/thread CPU utilization and the fact that game pretty much uses 1 core and a couple of threads at best (which is why I'll never play this game).... I can't even imagine how shit this Switch port will be.
There is no such thing as "PC port". The game was developed on PC primarily for PC. Console versions are ports.
It ran on DX11 which inherently limits the CPU utilization that can be done, but the game was nowhere near as bad as you claim at it. All threads of my 5800X3D are used, more or less.
That said, Rattay was pretty hard to run at 60fps on older ryzens. But KCD is also the most demanding/ambitious game ever made with Cryengine (putting aside Star Citizen).

Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Screenshot-2023-12-07-18-13-48-24.png

Hasnt it been like almost 6 years since this came to PC ?? are these people working on anything else, or they gonna milk their only game till eternity ?

KCII is being developed.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I adore this game so I’ll pick this up, but this is in impossible port territory. I give it a 50/50 chance of not looking/running Ike poop.

This game still runs at 31fps on console. They had forever to patch that and refused to do it.
I assume it will run at 15.5fps on Switch, just to maintain the game's hardcore erratic frame-pacing cred.
Never noticed any of this on Xbox. Loved the game. Could be I haven't noticed because I wasn't aware of it and was to busy just enjoying the game. I'm sure if I had read about the 31fps before playing it I would have found the game to be unplayable of course.

Not withstanding they should have fixed it.

Stamps1646

Saber Interactive ported The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to Switch and it still blows me away.
If anyone can do this, SI can.

Reactions: boo

Mozzarella

I'm against this project, I loved KCD, its a great RPG and Warhorse did a good job with it, however i dont think it should be ported to the Switch, its already a multiplatform game, this project will cost money and time for porting and fixing issues with the port, and it will not be optimal release for the kind of game KCD is, moreover i think the Switch fanbase barely care about this type of games, so i doubt it will sell well, Eurojank RPGs are not compataible with the Switch gamerbase, its just a total waste of money and time, instead of porting games to the Switch, Warhorse studios could be making the sequel.
I really dont like this trend of porting everything to the Switch, i mean when it comes to games like Outer Wilds i celebrated the port, but here? i think its a bad marketing move.

I will get it if it runs well enough. I’d only be playing the Switch version in tabletop mode, so if there are a few missing trees or less detailed rocks, I can live with that. Hopefully the long wait has meant that the port is quite good, as was the case with Hogwarts Legacy.

This game still runs at 31fps on console. They had forever to patch that and refused to do it.
I assume it will run at 15.5fps on Switch, just to maintain the game's hardcore erratic frame-pacing cred.

There's no excuse for games like this, RDR2, Mafia Remake to not have been patched for 60 fps

Filben

Given how it ran on OG PS4 I can't imagine it to run on a Switch, especially in handheld mode. But hey, they got TW3 running so let's see what kind of sacrifices (a goat and a virgin under full moon to the Switch gods?) they have to make.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Yep the support this game got on consoles was garbage.

1080p31 on PS5. Alright then.

intbal

There's no excuse for games like this, RDR2, Mafia Remake to not have been patched for 60 fps
They don't even have to go that far.
Just fix the damned broken refresh rate.
It was a known problem with old Crytek engine games. But Homefront the Revolution fixed it and Prey fixed it.

kiphalfton

The switch is like that person at the gym who loads up the leg press with 500 pounds and does 1/20th range of motion.

Some people are impressed, others just shake their head and ask why they're wasting their time fucking around when they clearly aren't capable enough.

Last edited:

Stuart360

There is no such thing as "PC port". The game was developed on PC primarily for PC. Console versions are ports.
It ran on DX11 which inherently limits the CPU utilization that can be done, but the game was nowhere near as bad as you claim at it. All threads of my 5800X3D are used, more or less.
That said, Rattay was pretty hard to run at 60fps on older ryzens. But KCD is also the most demanding/ambitious game ever made with Cryengine (putting aside Star Citizen).

Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Screenshot-2023-12-07-18-13-48-24.png

KCII is being developed.
Thing is Rivatuner always shows your cpu threads being used, even on a game that is known to use like 4 cores/threads. You almost have to add up all the thread usage to work out how many cores/threads are actually being used.
You havent got it on your display but there is an option on Rivatuner for 'overall cpu' usage that shows your cpu usage as a whole. When you do that you can see overall usage hitting 25% then your gpu usage starts falling, and you know that game uses 4 cores/threads (on a 16 thread cpu obviously). Same if the cpu hits around 50% usage then your gpu usage starts falling, you then know that game uses 8 cores/threads, and so on.
You can see that on your display with your gpu usage only at 65% yet your cpu threads are nowhere near 100% usage.

The game def only uses a small amount of cores/threads as i remember my framerate dropping into the 50's even though cpu usage was only at 15-20% on my 3700x, and gpu usage wasnt close to 100% at those times.
That would suggest the game is only using 2-3 cores/threads.

Last edited:

boo

Gold Member
After I got my Switch, I thought a bit about what games already released on other platforms that would be fun to get ported to my Switch. Red Dead Revolver, Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come were my top three.

Witcher 3 was fantastic. It is up there as one of my favorite games on the system, together with the Xenoblade games and the 3D Zeldas. Red Dead Revolver finally has arrived and is on my short list of games to play after I finish TOTK. And soon I will have Kingdom Come. My Switch is the system that keeps on giving.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Thing is Rivatuner always shows your cpu threads being used, even on a game that is known to use like 4 cores/threads. You almost have to add up all the thread usage to work out how many cores/threads are actually being used.
You havent got it on your display but there is an option on Rivatuner for 'overall cpu' usage that shows your cpu usage as a whole. When you do that you can see overall usage hitting 25% then your gpu usage starts falling, and you know that game uses 4 cores/threads (on a 16 thread cpu obviously). Same if the cpu hits around 50% usage then your gpu usage starts falling, you then know that game uses 8 cores/threads, and so on.
You can see that on your display with your gpu usage only at 65% yet your cpu threads are nowhere near 100% usage.

The game def only uses a small amount of cores/threads as i remember my framerate dropping into the 50's even though cpu usage was only at 15-20% on my 3700x, and gpu usage wasnt close to 100% at those times.
That would suggest the game is only using 2-3 cores/threads.

That is not how things work. You can't just add a bunch of CPU threads and pretend they add up to anything.
The way rivatuner is showing threads is the proper way, as it shows what work is being done on each core and each thread.
We can also take into consideration that odd threads are full cores, and even threads are SMT threads. This is an important distinction to make as well, because a SMT thread will do much less work that a full core thread.

The other thing to consider is that RTSS shows thread usage, not game thread usage.
So if there is anything on the background using the CPU, it will show increased thread usage, but it will not show which processes are using each thread.
So opening something like Task Manager, to check if there are other processes using the CPU is important for context.

After I got my Switch, I thought a bit about what games already released on other platforms that would be fun to get ported to my Switch. Red Dead Revolver, Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come were my top three.

Witcher 3 was fantastic. It is up there as one of my favorite games on the system, together with the Xenoblade games and the 3D Zeldas. Red Dead Revolver finally has arrived and is on my short list of games to play after I finish TOTK. And soon I will have Kingdom Come. My Switch is the system that keeps on giving.

Read Dead Redemption, presumably? I didn’t think Red Dead Revolver had made it off PS2 and OG Xbox unless you count the fact that it is backwards compatible on Xbox.

Boy bawang

I trust in saber. TW3 is very much playable, especially after the patches. This one is notoriously harder to port, but saber also has more experience.

Kupfer

Still waiting for this game to get patched or to be released as a native PS5 game.
I want to play this for years, but the 30fps prevents me from doing so.

BouncyFrag

I will laugh if this version ends up being the most optimized due to the team that’s porting it.
It took a long ass time to get the orignal console ports working. For a while there was a glitch where at night time the in-world guards would spawn spears. Come dawn they would drop the spears since spears couldn’t be stored in their inventory. As in-game days passed the spears would pile up in world and would grind it to a halt. 😬

Top Bottom