• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX dated for 3/14/2013 in Japan

Tsunamo

Tonight we should get a new trailer, right? Can't wait to see the new reaction commands.
There's one at Jump Festa, so it should pop up on the internet soon (as a low quality video, in typical Kingdom Hearts trailer fashion), but it will probably take about week or two before Square-Enix puts it up on the internet themselves.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hopefully we get it in the summer.

I could import, but Japanese Donald Duck and Goofy might give me nightmares

What? Japanese Donald and Goofy are quite well done.

The price on it is not SO bad. If I can get the money together I might import this one.

Chev

No, the reason FFXHD was shafted was because FFXIV was such a failure and they needed to rebuild it ASAP.
Absolutely not. FF14 is the reason they don't made *new* HD games. THe HD remixes are another matter entirely as they require only tiny teams, and in FFX's case it's really simply that KH HD was started first, an since it's the same engine as FFX there's not point in having a second team doing the same work in parallel. Converting KH basically converts FFX.

McNum

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X is the same engine? That's kind of amazing, the games feel nothing alike. Did all the Square-Enix games on PS2 use the same engine?

Isn't the the development team for this like 2 people or something?

FFXHD would be a much bigger project then this. Would definitely require more staff/time.

It is a bit of a joke if they can't give us a worldwide release with this and I just hope it doesn't take any longer than 1-3 months, following the Japanese release.
It would take more than two people, especially for the 358/2 Days cutscenes.

B.K.

No, the reason FFXHD was shafted was because FFXIV was such a failure and they needed to rebuild it ASAP.

X hasn't been shafted. The game was announced far too early. It was announced right after it was approved and before they even started working on it. It'll take a while for them to do it. It's got a lot of CG that's going to have to be rerendered or upscaled and a lot of prerendered backgrounds that they're going to have to do something about.

MAtgS

That's sooner than I thought. Looking forward to it actually.

2.5 is most likely gonna be Kingdom Hearts 2, BBS and Re:coded right? Still that doesn't explain the third option

DDD+game yet to be announced I'm betting.

The Lamp

Give up on 2.5 including BBS, people.

That's going to be part of 0.5 which they actually teased long before this.

Because it also includes 2 hours of newly voiced scenes.

But it's not like that'd be a big deal for Square Enix. They brought the VAs back out of nowhere to voice Recom.

First Slot: 1.5 (Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Re:Chain of Memories, 358/Days scenes)

Second Slot: 2.5 (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+, Birth by Sleep Final Mix, Re:Coded scenes)

Third Slot: Kingdom Hearts Re:Dream Drop Distance (Full DDD port to Ps3, similar to what they did with CoM GBA->Ps2)

Somehow I could see this happening if they weren't so understaffed, but then again by the time KH 2.5 is out things should improve in that aspect.
It's their most recent release, I highly doubt they're going to relegate it to an addendum or cuscenes only.

Hopefully we get it in the summer.

I could import, but Japanese Donald Duck and Goofy might give me nightmares

Stuff of nightmares, you said that right... for Disney Characters English or bust! (Italian would be fine too, but they'd completely butcher all the non Disney cast)

Chev

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X is the same engine? That's kind of amazing, the games feel nothing alike. Did all the Square-Enix games on PS2 use the same engine?
No, only a few. Usually you'd see "lines", engines or features that are reused by the same staff. But until current-gen teams would not share their tech with each other, so it's actually pretty amusing taking them apart and seeing which is descended from which, and how they sometime implement completely different solutions to recurring problems intead of using the proven ones.

Anyway, basically FFX/X-2(obviously)/KH/KH2 share the same tech that was progressively refined and use very similar data formats. While on the other hand FF12, for example, used very different tech and data to try and squeeze much more stuff in memory (like, the FFX/KH "line" stores character models whole, which is pretty standard for games, while FF12 stores half characters plus asymmetrical bits and dynamically mirrors them).

Famassu

Don't mind me, I just can't muster any sort of optimism when it comes to Square Enix anymore
I don't see why. Apart from FFXIII & XIV 1.0, they've been one of the best JRPG developers in recent years, with both the quality of their games as well as speedy localization times.

2.5 will definitely include BBS. That's really not questionable. Whether it will have 3D in some form or the other, now THAT is still up in the air.

I think it's highly unlikely that they will package 3 big ones into one box.

It'll either be like I've said up there or they'll split KH2 + Re:coded and BBS and 3D together.

But KH2 + BBS + 3D in the same release? No chance.

EDIT: Unless they go the scenes route only for 3D, in which case I can see it being released together in 2.5 and Re:Coded getting completely ignored.

First Slot: 1.5 (Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Re:Chain of Memories, 358/Days scenes)

Second Slot: 2.5 (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+, Birth by Sleep, Re:Coded scenes)

Third Slot: Kingdom Hearts Re:Dream Drop Distance (Full DDD port to Ps3, similar to what they did with CoM GBA->Ps2)

Somehow I could see this happening if they weren't so understaffed, but then again by the time KH 2.5 is out things should improve in that aspect.
It's their most recent release, I highly doubt they're going to relegate it to an addendum or cuscenes only.

Stuff of nightmares, you said that right... for Disney Characters English or bust! (Italian would be fine too, but they'd completely butcher all the non Disney cast)

Birth by Sleep Final Mix would be better. :)

McNum

No, only a few. Usually you'd see "lines", engines or features that are reused by the same staff. But until current-gen teams would not share their tech with each other, so it's actually pretty amusing taking them apart and seeing which is descended from which, and how they sometime implement completely different solutions to recurring problems intead of using the proven ones.

Anyway, basically FFX/X-2(obviously)/KH/KH2 share the same tech that was progressively refined and use very similar data formats. While on the other hand FF12, for example, used very different tech and data to try and squeeze much more stuff in memory (like, the FFX/KH "line" stores character models whole, which is pretty standard for games, while FF12 stores half characters plus asymmetrical bits and dynamically mirrors them).
I didn't know FFXII's engine just mirrored the half model. That's pretty clever, actually. It does make me wonder if FFX HD will also have FFX-2 HD included. It'd be a way to sidestep Sony's rule about no single HD remake game on a disk. I mean those games share a lot of the same world assets as is.

Elios83

People working on the KH Remasters probably aren't the same ones working on the FFX remaster.

You think that they're working in parallel?
Square Enix announces things when there's just the intention to make them :p It wouldn't be the first time.
FFX HD would have been ready a year ago if they were working on it when they announced it :D
It's just that development won't really start until they're done with Kingdom Hearts HD, it was clear the moment they came out with the KHHD announcement out or no where.

PK Gaming

Don't worry.

kamisama-dolls-06-20.jpg

Sora: Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

Famassu

I think it's highly unlikely that they will package 3 big ones into one box.

It'll either be like I've said up there or they'll split KH2 + Re:coded and BBS and 3D together.

But KH2 + BBS + 3D in the same release? No chance.

EDIT: Unless they go the scenes route only for 3D, in which case I can see it being released together in 2.5 and Re:Coded getting completely ignored.
I'm pretty much 100% certain that 2.5 will be Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix + Birth By Sleep and ReCoded in some form (probably just cutscenes). Not sure if they think 3D needs to be added to any collection, given that it was released so recently. While a part of the reason why these collections are being made is that KH has been spread to so many platforms, I don't think having one game not be playable on PS3 is too horrible for the franchise.

I'm pretty much 100% certain that 2.5 will be Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix + Birth By Sleep and ReCoded in some form (probably just cutscenes). Not sure if they think 3D needs to be added to any collection, given that it was released so recently. While a part of the reason why these collections are being made is that KH has been spread to so many platforms, I don't think having one game not be playable on PS3 is too horrible for the franchise.

I'm still unsure. I fully agree on the 2.5 contents, but I think that we're going to see a Re:Dream Drop Distance sometime.
Sales on 3DS weren't satisfying and the possibility of having them playable all in one console despite not necessary is indeed attractive.
That's why I can see Square Enix choosing to port the game to a home console.
How else are they going to package all Kingdom Hearts games in one big box to be sold at 450000000 Yen?

Too bad the chances of seeing Kingdom Hearts 3 on Ps3 are getting slimmer and slimmer every day.

Roklie

I'm always kinda worried when it comes to the localisations of these games. CoM PS2 remake wasn't even released in Europe back in the day, I hope these will make it.

Tsunamo

I'm always kinda worried when it comes to the localisations of these games. CoM PS2 remake wasn't even released in Europe back in the day, I hope these will make it.
I wouldn't worry too much, it's almost guaranteed to get a Western release.

Every game but coded, the final mixes and Re:CoM in PAL regions have came over and the latter two (well Kingdom Hearts Final Mix anyway) are included in this release, so it's all the more reason to bring it over.

Top Bottom