• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Roubjon

I'm disappointed in myself. As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, I still didn't beat this yet. I started playing it when the HD collection released, got all the way to the end (unlocked the last world). Then I started to grind for stuff to get the Ultimate Weapon and kind of got bored and quit when new games came out. Haven't went back to it yet. :( I really want to beat it, then play Re: CoM before KH 2.5 HD releases. Speaking of which, I'm disappointed we still don't have a release date. :(

That's exactly why I saved the grinding for items as the very last thing to do. It made all the optional bosses more difficult too, which was a fun challenge. By the time I saw and killed everything in the game, I started grinding and realized there was no point and it's so boring, so I quit.

That's exactly why I saved the grinding for items as the very last thing to do. It made all the optional bosses more difficult too, which was a fun challenge. By the time I saw and killed everything in the game, I started grinding and realized there was no point and it's so boring, so I quit.

That's what I should have done... :( I generally want to do all the extra stuff as soon as it's available in games like this, but that's when I'm playing new games. When I'm playing old games that I've already beaten, I really should hold off on that stuff until the VERY end, so even if it I quit playing, it won't matter.

Does anybody know any really good grind spots for level 55+ or is my best best just the Colosseum?

Rare truffles at neverland I guess?

Honestly I always first grinded just all the synthesis materials I needed first for Ultima Weapon and after that finished off with Ice Titan/Hades Cup.

Ultimadrago

Finally made it to level 60 am I properly leveled to take on the End Of the World?

Also how do I synthesize elixirs?

I farmed them in Rabbit's Vegetable Garden by pulling up all his pumpkins/cabbages going in the house and coming back out to do it again. There's a chance to get Elixirs/Potions with each pull. Tedious, but cheap.

Now that you're past Hollow Bastion, you have Defenders spawning around. District 2 has 6 Defenders you can clean out over and over and they also have a small chance of dropping Elixirs.

*(To maximize effect, equip Encounter Plus and have Lucky Strike Ability equipped on everyone)

If you're going the Synthesis route:

Power Crystal x 1
Shiny Crystal x 1
Bright Crystal x 2
Orichalcum x 3

And as for if you're high enough level. That depends on your difficulty a bit, I guess. If on Normal, I believe (but am not sure) you're good to go.

Ultimadrago

So that new secret boss in 1.5, Unknown, who is he?

Apologies if I'm missing the obvious.

Also, just finally finished my Proud run. I had a good (and long) time with it. Next up is Proud Chain of Memories. Is it very difficult? Anyway to cheese through it?

Andrefpvs

So that new secret boss in 1.5, Unknown, who is he?

Apologies if I'm missing the obvious.

Also, just finally finished my Proud run. I had a good (and long) time with it. Next up is Proud Chain of Memories. Is it very difficult? Anyway to cheese through it?

Kingdom Hearts 2 spoilers:

He is Xemnas.

Ultimadrago

Sora's new voice in Chain of Memories. Jesus. lol

Seems they chased Pluto for years!

Also, any "best way" to point allocate in Chain of Memories in regards to leveling?

Psxphile

"New" voice, huh...

As for CoM, prioritize raising Max Card points over HP. Something like 2-3 levels towards Maxing CP for every one Max HP upgrade. Only break the formula to learn new Sleights when they become available.

CorvoSol

I beat Agrabah yesterday and I have to take a dig at that boss fight. It's amazing how a fight which in KH1 in 3D and in CoM in 2D felt perfectly acceptable but when combined feels horrible and bad. Half the time Sora got clocked just trying to jump on those platforms and locking on was a nightmare in that shit. Really did not enjoy that battle.

Andrefpvs

Friends, I'm about to play Reverse/Rebirth in Re:CoM on the hardest difficulty setting. Any tips anyone could give? Like, what to choose when levelling up and so on.

Friends, I'm about to play Reverse/Rebirth in Re:CoM on the hardest difficulty setting. Any tips anyone could give? Like, what to choose when levelling up and so on.

Always choose Sleights when they're available in leveling up. Next, prioritize raising your CP pretty much above all else. Your HP matters, but not too much (high CP and smart deck building can mean effectively preventing enemies from ever getting to attack you in the first place, rendering your HP pretty much irrelevant).

Always make sure you use two Treasure Room room-building cards per world (because each world/floor either gives you a special card - which unlocks the ability for that card to drop elsewhere - or teaches you a new sleight, or both). Feel free to read walkthroughs/FAQs if you don't want to waste any treasure room cards.

Don't play like it's vanilla Kingdom Hearts. If you just spam sleights constantly in random battles, you'll be pretty much unstoppable because regular enemies don't get 0 cards (with maybe one or two exceptions?) and they only very, very rarely get 9 cards. Even if a particular combination doesn't result in a sleight (rather just giving you three moves in quick succession), it's still immune to being broken and superior to using those three moves individually.

Decks should have a few 0 cards toward the very end of the deck (so you can always reach them easily), a small number of item cards is your friend, and you should only pick maybe one or two Enemy Cards that you actually care about.

Don't be afraid to grind occasionally - which, if you're spamming Sleights, should be very quick and easy and relatively painless. You really should fight every enemy in every room at the very least, but you shouldn't need to start making new rooms solely for the purpose of leveling up until late in the game (at which point grinding for levels is EXTREMELY easy).

Chain of Memories is a cool/fun game, but it's 100% about setting up Sleights and knocking them down and if you play like you'd play in a *normal* KH game (just doing a bunch of regular attacks in combos) you'll get the shit kicked out of you and you'll feel desperately underpowered.

Andrefpvs

Always choose Sleights when they're available in leveling up. Next, prioritize raising your CP pretty much above all else. Your HP matters, but not too much (high CP and smart deck building can mean effectively preventing enemies from ever getting to attack you in the first place, rendering your HP pretty much irrelevant).

Always make sure you use two Treasure Room room-building cards per world (because each world/floor either gives you a special card - which unlocks the ability for that card to drop elsewhere - or teaches you a new sleight, or both). Feel free to read walkthroughs/FAQs if you don't want to waste any treasure room cards.

Don't play like it's vanilla Kingdom Hearts. If you just spam sleights constantly in random battles, you'll be pretty much unstoppable because regular enemies don't get 0 cards (with maybe one or two exceptions?) and they only very, very rarely get 9 cards. Even if a particular combination doesn't result in a sleight (rather just giving you three moves in quick succession), it's still immune to being broken and superior to using those three moves individually.

Decks should have a few 0 cards toward the very end of the deck (so you can always reach them easily), a small number of item cards is your friend, and you should only pick maybe one or two Enemy Cards that you actually care about.

Don't be afraid to grind occasionally - which, if you're spamming Sleights, should be very quick and easy and relatively painless. You really should fight every enemy in every room at the very least, but you shouldn't need to start making new rooms solely for the purpose of leveling up until late in the game (at which point grinding for levels is EXTREMELY easy).

Chain of Memories is a cool/fun game, but it's 100% about setting up Sleights and knocking them down and if you play like you'd play in a *normal* KH game (just doing a bunch of regular attacks in combos) you'll get the shit kicked out of you and you'll feel desperately underpowered.

badcrumble, thanks SO much for the detailed help, but I meant Riku's Proud mode, not Sora's! Ahah, sorry if I wasn't clear about that ^_^''

I already beat Sora's Proud mode, btw

Cool. Any particular stat I should give priority to when leveling up? Thanks.

Ah. Yeah, Attack Power when it comes up. Remember that Riku has access to all of his Enemy Cards ever for free and don't forget to abuse those constantly.

Between HP and DP, I'd say you should get a *decent* amount of DP going, but honestly Riku and his basic Duels are so damn powerful that HP might serve you better. See what feels comfortable - he's so easy that you'll have lots of wiggle room to figure out your most-suitable play style.

The addition of Duels (and the general removal of Riku's old insanely powerful/spammable descending-Dark-Mode-multi-hit-slash from the GBA version, IIRC) makes Dark Mode way less important than it used to be on the GBA, though the significant boost in damage output and movement speed is lovely of course.

Don't be afraid to grind his Attack Power up to max on the final floor, of course.

Psxphile

Beat to the general Reverse/Rebirth advice, but to reiterate what Bad Crumble said: abuse Enemy Cards like, all the time. Every battle. Every floor/world you visit gives you one Temp one to use (which is taken away when you leave) but bosses give you permanent ones you can use anywhere. I tend to use Maleficent a lot as it has no drawbacks for Riku. Later, you'll get Lexaeus's Enemy Card which will make random battles on the final few floors a cakewalk, so long as you can maintain 3-hit combos (basically, make rooms that raise your Attack Card values and/or just stock cards all the time so your combo isn't broken).

Killing those annoying Neo-Shadows w/ Warp Break? da bes

Any method to get more than one Mushu? (I know there's one in Hollow Bastion's reward room, but another wouldn't hurt.)

Getting one in the Reward room is necessary to unlock the possibility of more of them getting dropped by enemies or by hitting objects in rooms or by finding them in Moogle shops.

Basically, the Reward room one gives you one Mushu and also unlocks all other Mushu cards elsewhere.

Ultimadrago

Getting one in the Reward room is necessary to unlock the possibility of more of them getting dropped by enemies or by hitting objects in rooms or by finding them in Moogle shops.

Basically, the Reward room one gives you one Mushu and also unlocks all other Mushu cards elsewhere.

Aah, thank you. I was wondering if that was the case.

Ultimadrago

Thanks for the help everyone! Finally finished KH:ReCoM on Proud and will start Reverse tomorrow.

Mega Flare and Lethal Frame straight up annihilated the final boss' forms 2 and 3 respectively.

A personal question I'd like to ask following up. Who are all of your favorite Organization XIII members (whether due to design or personality)?

Mine would have to be "The Graceful Assassin", Marluxia:

kingdom_hearts_358-2_vuacf.png

His flower-themed scythe looks great, he's goddamn beautiful and (Boss spoilers)
has a Grim Reaper Persona
! I won't pretend like he's a well-thought villain (as he's not). However, as a figure of Organization XIII, he's swell and always comes to mind first for me whenever the Organization is brought up.

I also want to give a mention to Axel. I didn't think much of him when I first played Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2 all those years ago. But sitting through all that 358/2 Days mush and Re: Chain of Memories, I greatly appreciate the nuance attempted for the character. His motives, progression and dialogue (especially among fellow members) are among the best in the series for what it counts. That said I haven't played BBS, which I hear has the best story and characters. Short in short, I like him.

Thanks for the help everyone! Finally finished KH:ReCoM on Proud and will start Reverse tomorrow.

Mega Flare and Lethal Frame straight up annihilated the final boss' forms 2 and 3 respectively.

A personal question I'd like to ask following up. Who are all of your favorite Organization XIII members (whether due to design or personality)?

His flower-themed scythe looks great, he's goddamn beautiful and (Boss spoilers)
has a Grim Reaper Persona
! I won't pretend like he's a well-thought villain (as he's not). However, as a figure of Organization XIII, he's swell and always comes to mind first for me whenever the Organization is brought up.

I also want to give a mention to Axel. I didn't think much of him when I first played Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2 all those years ago. But sitting through all that 358/2 Days mush and Re: Chain of Memories, I greatly appreciate the nuance attempted for the character. His motives, progression and dialogue (especially among fellow members) are among the best in the series for what it counts. That said I haven't played BBS, which I hear has the best story and characters. Short in short, I like him.
Xigbar has to be my favourite. Just the right amount of goofy without being totally useless like Demyx and I like all his bossfights. Plus best VA of the org.

Other favourites include pre-KH2 Axel (I don't hate the "new" Axel but not my favs) , Larxene, Vexen, Saix, Marluxia and Xaldin. Most disliked are Lexaeus and Xemnas. Zexion was interesting before he had a boss battle.
Luxord gets a free pass due to design even tho he is "pointless".

On Demand

Banned
What's the best wepon to choose and sacrifice? I've been reading around and everyone seems to prefer the staff and sacrificing the shield?

And should i start at dusk or dawn?

Ultimadrago

What's the best weapon to choose and sacrifice? I've been reading around and everyone seems to prefer the staff and sacrificing the shield?

And should i start at dusk or dawn?

Staff to choose, Sword to Sacrifice.

You miss out on a couple physical combat abilities early on, but the pure punch of your magic in later levels more than makes up for it. (You can only "artificially" boost magic through equips. You can't do it permanently like you can Attack, Defense, AP through "_____ Up" items. The larger your magic bar, the greater your magic power.)

Also, leaving at Dusk worked great for me. After level 40 (more like 50 until I started noticing), the lesser exp needed to progress in the later half worked awesome. Got max level easily, though I was hunting for Ultima Weapon material and whatnot.

On Demand

Banned
Staff to choose, Sword to Sacrifice.

You miss out on some common physical combat abilities early on, but the pure punch of your magic in later levels more than makes up for it.

Also, leaving at Dusk worked great for me. After level 40 (more like 50), the lesser exp needed to progress in the later half worked for me in spades. Got max level easily, though I was hunting for Ultima Weapon material and whatnot.

Yeah i like magic and the ability to level up faster towards the end should be nice. I don't want to spend too much time grinding.

What do you have to say to get the different times of day?

Ultimadrago

Yeah i like magic and the ability to level up faster towards the end should be nice. I don't want to spend too much time grinding.

What do you have to say to get the different times of day?

Choose all the first answers with the crew to leave at Dawn (Level fast until 40, then level slow till max).

Choose all the second answers with the crew to leave at Midday (Level average till max).

Choose all the third answers with the crew to leave at Dawn (Level slow until 40, then faster till max).

On Demand

Banned
Choose all the first answers with the crew to leave at Dawn (Level fast until 40, then level slow till max).

Choose all the second answers with the crew to leave at Midday (Level average till max).

Choose all the third answers with the crew to leave at Dawn (Level slow until 40, then faster till max).

Cool. Thanks.

Ultimadrago

Just beat Rebirth on Proud. Much quicker (and MUCH easier) than Sora's story. Duels literally spared my ass on several boss fights. Anyways, it was nice returning to these titles in remade HD form (though I was hitting burnout by the end of Sora's CoM Story).

I very much look forward to KH 2.5 ReMIX come later this year!

zeemumu

Xigbar and Roxas are pretty cool. Roxas because he was the first to dual wield keyblades and I like Xigbar's fighting style, even though his character might annoy me at times.

Andrew.

Banned
So I just picked this up yesterday. Havent played it since it first released on PS2. Really enjoying it all over again so far.

Only got one question and that is when am I able to use my Ability Points? Im already at lvl 11 and I havent even met up with Donald and Goofy yet. Just finished beating Leon and right now Im just grinding out Heartless cause I enjoy the battles so much. Ive already earned Dash Attack and Scan and I can equip them, but how do I use them?

So I just picked this up yesterday. Havent played it since it first released on PS2. Really enjoying it all over again so far.

Only got one question so far and that is when am I able to use my Ability Points? Im already at lvl 11 and I havent even met up with Donald and Goofy yet. Just finished beating Leon and right now Im just grinding out Heartless cause I enjoy the battles so much. Ive already earned Dash Attack and Scan and I can equip them, but how do I use them?

Once you have them equipped they are automatic. Scan shows the HP bar for the enemies in the top left corner and Dash Attack (Sliding Dash) gives you a sliding attack when you try to attack an enemy that is far away.

Some abilities you use manually tho.

You use your ability points by equipping the abilities.

Andrew.

Banned
Once you have them equipped they are automatic. Scan shows the HP bar for the enemies in the top left corner and Dash Attack (Sliding Dash) gives you a sliding attack when you try to attack an enemy that is far away.

Some abilities you use manually tho.

You use your ability points by equipping the abilities.

Weird. Ive equipped scan and I didnt see enemies' health...

Are you sure they dont get triggered after you finally join up with Donald and Goofy?

Maybe Im just dumb and didnt notice

Weird. Ive equipped scan and I didnt see enemies' health...

Are you sure they dont get triggered after you finally join up with Donald and Goofy?

Maybe Im just dumb and didnt notice

Lock on to any enemy and it will show at the top. If not then you haven't equipped the ability from the menu.

XJF

So.... How long would you all say a Final Mix run would take? That's all I need for my platinum and I've been trying to put it off, but it's starting to eat at me...

Oh sorry, haven't played since October, I meant a Final Mix Proud run.

Not much longer if you can deal with the first few bosses (Guard Armor, Trickmaster, Clayton) without grinding. After that it gets much easier but yeah, those can be a bitch if you are speedrunning proud. Remember to pick Shield.

XJF

Of course I chose shield lol is there a way to change my screen size after the initial setup? I went one or two too far apparently. The floating words at the top of the screen during the opening cutscene were partially cut off.

Top Bottom