• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Gameplay Trailer (PS4/XB1, UE4, E3 2015) [Up: HQ trailer]

aravuus

Sora is all the good guys and Xehanort is all of the bad guys

funny how the latter is more or less the case now

Haha yeah, I absolutely can't wait to see where KH3 is going to take the story. It's going to be insane and insanely stupid, and this is coming from someone who actually loved KH2's story.

The other Vanitas symbol was taken by Eraqus implying that he was defeated. You can see it off the board at 0:19

Oh damn, you're right! Wonder what that means, then? A new character with a similar existence to
Vanitas
, or a different form of him?

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh damn, you're right! Wonder what that means, then? A new character with a similar existence to
Vanitas
, or a different form of him?

Young Xehanort seemed to be able to manifest pretty much whoever he wanted as long as that person was connected to someone present in Dream Drop Distance.
In Cite des Cloches he materializes a phantom of Vanitas. Whether he's projecting it from himself or "dragging it out of" Sora is unclear - though the scene's blocking implies the former.

Personally I don't think Sora is going to destroy Vanitas, but accept him as part of himself, just as he did Roxas.
Sora's whole theme is how he can create connections easily - to anyone and anything.

Two Words

Yes or no question. I've only played Kingdom Hearts. Do any of the othe games try to explain why Sora was chosen by the keyblade? I hope not.

Mailbox

Yes or no question. I've only played Kingdom Hearts. Do any of the othe games try to explain why Sora was chosen by the keyblade? I hope not.

its basically the same explaination as IN kingdom hearts.

It is compounded and given more detail in later installments (specifically BBS and DDD) but It doesn't stray from what is shown in KH (You have played the hollow bastion section in kh1, right?)

raven777

I shouldn't be clicking these spoilers since I haven't played DDD yet...

I kinda wished we would get DDD HD this year..but I guess not.

DeSolos

I shouldn't be clicking these spoilers since I haven't played DDD yet...

I kinda wished we would get DDD HD this year..but I guess not.

If it's going to happen, it's coming next year. They usually do 1 KH game per year. This year is Unchained X. Next year could be KH3D. Putting KH3 in 2017. Seems fitting given FFXV will likely come next year.

Two Words

its basically the same explaination as IN kingdom hearts.

It is compounded and given more detail in later installments (specifically BBS and DDD) but It doesn't stray from what is shown in KH (You have played the hollow bastion section in kh1, right?)
I don't recall it being explained heavily in the first game. I've been replaying it and just unlocked Hollow Bastion.

Haha yeah, I absolutely can't wait to see where KH3 is going to take the story. It's going to be insane and insanely stupid, and this is coming from someone who actually loved KH2's story.

KH's story may be stupid, but to me, it's stupid and awesome.

Sure, at it's core, it's tale of good vs evil, light vs darkness, layered with a lot of tropes and the convoluted mess you see in series obsessed with Xanatos Gambits and "there's a reason behind a reason behind a reason" type storytelling. Some may say it's an immature, juvenile storytelling that hasn't grown up.

But when I revisit my memories of the series everytime, it's still one of the few franchises that has such a strong emotional core. Heartless
Sora
in KH1, the ending of KH, KH2's prologue, finding Riku again in KH2, the duel of fates, KH2's ending, the emotional highs of 358/2 Days, pretty much the entirety of Birth by Sleep...

Yes, there's a lot of 'what a tweeest!' stuff that makes things more complicated. It employs the concept of multiple existences a little too liberally, because 'existence' is a core part of the KH lore. But I like it. It makes it hard to follow, but that is part and parcel of KH. I will appreciate post-Xehanort Saga KH to use it less liberally, but I wouldn't ask Nomura to discard it.

And alongside those emotional core that grips your heart, are still all the KH moments everyone loves. The Disney moments. The light-hearted moments. The moments where your favourite FF characters pop up. The epic battles that Nomura puts, like the Heartless zerg rush, the final battle of KH2, the Knights vs Xehanort/Vanitas...

aravuus

KH's story may be stupid, but to me, it's stupid and awesome.

Hey, I don't disagree. I definitely see why people would dislike the story, but I love it. KH2's story is one of my favorites in gaming. In fact, I always thought KH1 was a bit TOO straightforward and simple, I really enjoy the insanity CoM and KH2 introduced, and it's just been getting crazier ever since.

BUT. I am super nervous about KH3's story, cause the big DDD twist was just.. Well, it was terrible.

SoulUnison

Banned
What I can't wait for is seeing members of
OrganizationXIII
again, specifically because some will be on OUR side this time.

I desperately want to know what Larxene's human form is like.
She was criminally underused, especially being the only "true" female member of the XIII.

I found Larxene and Axel to be the highlights of Chain of Memories.

There were two Vanitas pieces. I find it interesting that there were two of him but not of others (like Xemnas) who were fought before in the series. You probably fight him earlier and someone else fights him in the final battle.

I really, really hope there are multiple stories, but I guess if there was it would have been announced by now. We'll never get to play as Kairi will we?

I really hope so too, that would be awesome. Hard to say but seems like just Sora... maybe there will be a section where we play as her?

SoulUnison

Banned
Vanitas pieces? Que?

In Birth by Sleep, Vanitas is represented by this sigil:

Vanitas_Portal.png

In the Kingdom Hearts III E3 trailer, that emblem can be seen atop a couple of the chess pieces of Xehanort's color. (#6 - top row)

Chess%20Pieces%20KHIII.png

Top Bottom