• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

What mystery do you most want to be resolved or or headcanon confirmed?
I'm dying to see the genesis of Ansem SoD's guardian. I've my suspicions, but I would love to have it settled.

I'd rather have more than three simultaneous characters, frankly. I think that the days of memory limitations dictating a smaller party size are at an end, and games can balance themselves perfectly well to adjust to bigger or smaller party size, IMO (and both KH1 and KH2 have you move between having one, two, or three party members just fine - no reason that number can't go above four).

As for multiple playable characters, I think I'd love to see multiple campaigns. And to be completely crystal-clear, I expect it *in some form*. Every single Team Osaka game so far has had multiple playable campaigns (Re:CoM, BBS, and DDD), but the implementation of that has been different each time. Re:CoM has one campaign unlock after you finish the 'main' game; BBS lets you choose between the three campaigns right from the start, but unlocks a concluding chapter in a manner not too dissimilar from the way that Reverse/Rebirth gets unlocked; DDD interweaves both campaigns through each other).

However, as much as the Team Osaka games have historically had multiple campaigns, it's also worth noting that the numbered KH entries have not. Both of those precedents are important. We'll have to wait and see how KH3 handles things.

IN TERMS OF GAMEPLAY, though, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if the game gives us the ability to toggle between which character we're controlling. Would this result in playable Mickey/Donald/Goofy/world-specific Disney assists, though? Would only Keyblade wielders be playable? It's hard to say.

But every Kingdom Hearts save the first and coded has had multiple playable characters. "Only Sora" isn't even on the table.

But every Kingdom Hearts save the first and coded has had multiple playable characters. "Only Sora" isn't even on the table.

Yeah, absolutely, but multiple playable characters isn't the same thing (design-wise) as multiple campaigns. KH2's temporary play as Roxas (and EXTREMELY brief segment playing as Riku) isn't the same thing as dedicated campaigns for assorted characters.

I kinda go back and forth on what'll happen. I've talked about the design impulses and precedents that have been set by previous numbered KH games and previous Osaka Team games, but another important factor that I haven't mentioned yet is that KH3 is biting off a *lot* of material in narrative terms. There are a lot of goals to be accomplished and different characters with different capabilities who are needed to accomplish those goals. Perhaps a lot of that will just be accomplished through cutscenes of what's going on outside of and parallel to Sora's quest (sort of like the way that Dream Drop Distance had frequent "meanwhile" cutscenes of what was going on at the Mysterious Tower), but it might make more sense and feel a lot better to actually have multiple campaigns because of all the story threads that need to be tackled (unless they want to leave a bunch of them for KH4, but I doubt it).

A fairly-sensible rhythm for the game to adopt, in terms of the balance between Disney-story and overall-KH-story, is likely to be closer to the way that KH2 and BBS handled it (frequent occurrences of and fights against 'main' villains in and through the Disney worlds, big midgame bits in Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden/Land of Departure, and so on) than to the way that KH1 and DDD handled it (where most of the mythos-related story takes place in a big infodump-climax toward the latter part of the game taking place solely in KH-original worlds). That'll help the game address a lot of the important goals during the midgame, but it'll likely be necessary to visit the World/Realm of Darkness, Castle Oblivion, and so on *before* the game starts hitting its climax (which is probably more likely to happen at the Keyblade Graveyard than at The World That Never Was, but you never know).

I guess it's true that KH2 had you play as Roxas (for about an hour) and Riku (for 20s), but I don't really count them. It's gonna be interesting to see if Osaka brings back multiple characters/campaigns in numeral entry in the series. Will they be more traditional like KH1 and 2? Or will they keep doing what they are doing? Honestly, I'm not even sure if I have a preference. I'd love to be able to play as other characters, but I won't really be upset if that isn't possible.

zeemumu

I guess it's true that KH2 had you play as Roxas (for about an hour) and Riku (for 20s), but I don't really count them. It's gonna be interesting to see if Osaka brings back multiple characters/campaigns in numeral entry in the series. Will they be more traditional like KH1 and 2? Or will they keep doing what they are doing? Honestly, I'm not even sure if I have a preference. I'd love to be able to play as other characters, but I won't really be upset if that isn't possible.

I would want something in the vein of either BBS where you get one story per character and the last portion is a jumble, or like SA2 where you cycle through the characters on each level and they have different stories that all converge in the end.

I would want something in the vein of either BBS where you get one story per character and the last portion is a jumble, or like SA2 where you cycle through the characters on each level and they have different stories that all converge in the end.

I think the problem with cycling on a purely scripted basis (which is likely why DDD opted for the looser/weirder Drop system over simply saying "okay, you finished that world with Sora, now finish it with Riku") is that it kind of disrupts the RPG-elements too much (you're like "oh, right, now I've got these party members and this set of equipment and these stats"). At least DDD changed things up frequently enough that the stories really felt fairly simultaneous - waiting for one character to fully complete a world before switching to the other might actually have the effect of making it feel MORE disjointed, in a sense. In my opinion, anyway.

Now, a potential way to *solve* some of that problem might be to have all characters share passive abilities, inventory, Bonus Level bonuses, and so on. But then you run into the opposite problem of having different characters stop feeling distinct from each other, and that's no good either (not to mention there'd be much less ability to have an 'endgame' for each character if it were all story-scripted).

Malyse

And Mickey.

What mystery do you most want to be resolved or or headcanon confirmed?
I'm dying to see the genesis of Ansem SoD's guardian. I've my suspicions, but I would love to have it settled.

These are Mickey's appearences according to the wiki:
Shan-Yu
Thresholder and Possessor
Shadow Stalker and Dark Thorn
Cerberus
Hydra
Blizzard Lord and Volcanic Lord
Storm Rider
Xaldin
Grim Reaper (Battle 1)
Armored Xemnas (Battle 1)

Each time you fail, he has less and less chances to appear.

Malyse

Yeah but Mickey is the only playable character who isn't mandatory. I was playing Xaldin's boss battle yesterday and it completely caught me off guard.

Ha, The Xaldin battle was the only time I'd see him too.

I actually am not sure if I've ever played as Mickey... Trying to remember.. Hmm.

The only two Mickey fights that I'm aware of are the two boss fights in Beast Castle.

List of people who haven't played KH2FM on Critical. :p

List of people who haven't played KH2FM on Critical. :p

haha, I usually just play on Proud mode. I know, blasphemous that I'm a big KH fan and have never played a game on Critical. xD Proud mode is a fun kind of challenge. I'm afraid Critical would just be more frustrating than fun. But I have no experience with the mode, so I can't say for sure.

Malyse

How do you feel about a Kingdom Hearts game that's 10000% not canon* and only explores "what if" scenarios?

For example:

• What if Aqua failed her MoM because she can't handle her darkness and she ended up bodyjacked by Xehanort.
  • What if Sora choose Namine in CoM and ended up Marluxia's pawn. KH2 is now Riku's journey to save his friend from the warring factions of OrgXIII.
  • How about KH1 with Sora and Riku's roles switched, but BBS still played out the same and Ven's heart is still in Sora?
  • What if Eraqus sought pure balance and Xehanort was trying to build a light so strong as to crush all darkness?
  • What if Riku didn't capture Roxas at the end of 358/2?
  • What Sora was randomly killed during the course of KH2? Where would leave Xenmas' plans?
  • What if Mickey had been the protagonist from the beginning?
  • What if Riku kept his Keyblade from the beginning, never falling to darkness. Would the islands still have fallen?
These are just examples, but would you play a KH game that was just "what if" scenarios? Particularly in the lull after KH3, before KH4.

*Though seeing as how we've had games that dealt with the altering of memories, not to mention one where the entire story took place in a dream realm, a game where Sora had to go through alternate versions of events could be doable within canon.

^Interesting concept. If Kingdom Hearts 3 introduces the multiverse concept into the storyline (let's face it, they probably will at this point considering what other stuff they added into the story lol), it'd be an interesting way to do "side" games in the series. "What if ____" happened in another universe or whatever.

zeemumu

How do you feel about a Kingdom Hearts game that's 10000% not canon* and only explores "what if" scenarios?

For example:

• What if Aqua failed her MoM because she can't handle her darkness and she ended up bodyjacked by Xehanort.
  • What if Sora choose Namine in CoM and ended up Marluxia's pawn. KH2 is now Riku's journey to save his friend from the warring factions of OrgXIII.
  • How about KH1 with Sora and Riku's roles switched, but BBS still played out the same and Ven's heart is still in Sora?
  • What if Eraqus sought pure balance and Xehanort was trying to build a light so strong as to crush all darkness?
  • What Sora was randomly killed during the course of KH2? Where would leave Xenmas' plans?
  • What if Riku kept his Keyblade from the beginning, never falling to darkness. Would the islands still have fallen?
These are just examples, but would you play a KH game that was just "what if" scenarios? Particularly in the lull after KH3, before KH4.

*Though seeing as how we've had games that dealt with the altering of memories, not to mention one where the entire story took place in a dream realm, a game where Sora had to go through alternate versions of events could be doable within canon.
Hmm, that first one would change the design of most of the major antagonists in the games

Sora making a wrong choice early on would be a shortcut to a DDD ending styled plot, more or less

Would Sora opening his heart to darkness while Venn is a part of him resurrect Vanitas?

If Riku had failed to catch Roxas at Memory's Skyscraper then KH2's tutorial would have been Roxas on the run while trying to find Sora and Riku chasing after him while Namine restored his memories, and Riku would probably end up just telling Roxas where Sora was in order to lure him back so they could combine. It would make an awesome game because Roxas would be dual-wielding the whole time.

Xemnas probably would have gone after Riku or Mickey had Sora been insufficient for completing Kingdom Hearts. What's funny is that there's an entire timeline for the Legend of Zelda series that only takes place if Link dies during Ocarina of Time.

Sora was essentially the placeholder for Mickey. That's why the color scheme for Sora's KH1 clothes match Mickey's regular attire. I think the combat would be more fun because Mickey has a Yoda style of combat.

If Riku had the keyblade from the beginning, I'd have to wonder where that'd leave Sora. Would he become the goofy comic relief?

All that aside, I would love to have a what-if scenario Kingdom Hearts. I'm a huge fan of what-ifs and crossovers, and it already has the crossover part covered.

haha, I usually just play on Proud mode. I know, blasphemous that I'm a big KH fan and have never played a game on Critical. xD Proud mode is a fun kind of challenge. I'm afraid Critical would just be more frustrating than fun. But I have no experience with the mode, so I can't say for sure.

Critical's pretty cool in KH2FM because it actually powers you up in addition to making you more vulnerable, but it's sort of lazy in BBS and DDD, IMO.

For example:

I don't think non canon would be a too good idea for official games if they use the same characters. I'd rather them have a completely new cast in a different ''universe'' of sorts if they wanted to go non canon route (of course there are all kinds of ''party esque'' non canon games too that would use the old chars. Gimme dat KH Theatrythm!).

Would I play one? Of course! But I doubt we ever see one. These kind of stories usually are done in manga form or something like that. If I wanted to see one What If game I don't really know what it would be.

Mickey could still be used as a main character in a story but that would seem weird I think.

Malyse

One thing that always bothered me about the whole of the series was the clumsy way that the KH plot and the Disney plot seemed always at odds with each other. Take for example KH2. In any given world, you would initially play through the plot of the film and then later on a second visiting play through the KH2 storyline. Often times, they barely if at all intersected. IIRC, Organization XIII really only made its presence felt in the back half of KH2, a shame as those were some pretty fun characters. I mean, imagine how much cooler "Silence, traitor." would have been if we had seen Demyx bungling things up for the last 20 hours instead of the one world. I would like to note that I think KH1 works a bit better in this regard. Once we get to games like BBS and 3D, the KH Plot has become the A plot and the Disney movie stories are there only as a set piece. As example I offer La Cité des Cloches. Virtually nothing from Hunchback of Notre Dame makes it into 3D, a shame as that movie not only had a great story, but it was one tied indelibly to the darkness and passions of the heart. Of all the worlds where KH integration would work, I can scarcely think of ones better that this one. And in games like coded, Days, and CoM, Disney is hardly there at all. So there's the problem. How does it get solved? Honestly, I'm at a loss. I know what I want: I want the impetus for the KH3 plot to be handled via the Disney plot. By example, I want Hans to be working with Xehanort to turn people against Elsa, I want Sora and Elsa to be companions and he help her escape after her ice goes wild, and I want Riku to travel with Anna to meet her sister. I also want all of this to directly tie into whatever the KH3 macguffin* will be.

*As a side note, we've never had it confirmed that the seven lights have to be keyblade wielders. I think the confusion is a line from 3D from Mickey.

Seven guardians of light? Well, for Keyblade wielders, there's me and Riku and Sora. And my three missing friends, that's six. Then the seventh would be...

That doesn't necessarily mean that the guardians have to be keyblade wielders, only that it's more likely. Plus if they aren't, finding the other lights would be a great plot contrivance to justify visiting the Disney worlds.

----

The other thing that bothers me is way the Square-Enix characters are handled in the plot. I understand that they are guests, but they can be handled far better. The high point for me is the way Auron was handled in KH2 and Cloud in KH1. Both of them had logical reasons for doing what they did and both of them were directly tied and interwoven into the Disney plot. This is what I want. Stop treating the FF characters as a side note and shove them right into the Disney plot. Going back to Agrabah for a King of Thieves plot: put Zidane and Locke there. Going to the Jungle Book world: how about Red XIII? Since she's well versed in being an outcast, how about having Elsa meet Terra/Tina when she flees Arendelle? A tormented, genetically altered soldier who strives to remember his past? That's Cloud and Wolverine. How about Balthier showing up as a rival to Han Solo? Hell, the whole light/dark side aspect of Star Wars** is practically tailored to fit the story. So on and so forth. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest fully making the SE characters into Disney versions. We can agree that Leon =! Squall, so why stop there? Use the original version as a template and spin a new thread from it. The other option is the do more subplots a la Cloud and Co. in KH2. It's a side thing you can choose to see or not to, but it doesn't effect things in the long scheme.

So there's two points to discuss. First, how would you like to see the KH story integration handled in KH going forward? Is there a particular game that you think would serve as a good template?

Second, how do you want them to use SE characters: full integration, side stories, or something else? If they were to put them directly into Disney worlds, who would go where and why?

**Taking that a step further, imagine Riku in the Star Wars verse. There's zero chance that a character wielding the powers of dark as he does would be classified as anything other than a Sith, meaning the SW heroes would immediately be against the KH heroes. Could that mean that we would be allied with the Empire?

True story: the more they try to have the Disney world replicate the plot of the movie usually means the less it works. Using the plot of the movie is totally useless, use the CHARACTERS. For example Lion King world just doesn't work trying to tell the stuff the way they do in KH2. IMO one of the best uses of Disney worlds in KH2 is Olympus Coliseum and when you think about it it is almost surprising since it's a crossover hell. Not only is your world specific characters in there, so is Pete, Auron and Demyx. And I like how they do the story in that world. They ain't making some grand story about Hercules becoming a god or something even tho they reuse the images from the movie in second visit. All Hercules really does is gain his confidence back and remember what makes a true hero. Hades doesn't have any larger than life schemes to take over the world, he is just fun to watch and all he wants to do is take down Herc. Auron cameo is great and Pete is fun to have there bumbling around. Neither take the center stage but they really fit in that world without feeling forced in (like Pete in Port Royal for example). Olympus was the world that found the best balance of Disney and KH. It was very disney focused but they did it without it feeling forced in to the storyline.

One of the reasons I like Monstro in KH1 is how genious it is to make Pinocchio world not feel forced. IIRC Monstro happens in like the last 20 mins of the movie and they made a whole world out of it. And it works! And it's a whale in space! And the reason it works is that they cut the story of the movie out and actually fit it in the world and used the characters to make it feel important instead.

Halloween Town was great in KH1 and that is another one that didn't try to replicate the plot. They used that in KH2 and at that point it kinda works because you had established the characters and the world in the previous game. If Santa Claus ect. were in KH1 the world would probably have been a lot less good.

Blink Me

I like the ideas about future integration of Disney and Square Enix. I have 2 questions though.

1.) Can Nomura use any characters from any Square Enix game or can he only use the ones he's created? (I think Vivi is the only character he didn't create that has appeared).

2.) I remember reading somewhere that Disney doesn't like having its characters mixing in the same worlds eg. Aladdin appearing in Wonderland. However, Maleficient, Pete and the Princesses of Heart have all mixed in different worlds as well as Donald, Goofy, Merlin etc. So does that mean we could have see Robin Hood turn up in Frozen's world or is that not allowed?

Seda

True story: the more they try to have the Disney world replicate the plot of the movie usually means the less it works. Using the plot of the movie is totally useless, use the CHARACTERS. For example Lion King world just doesn't work trying to tell the stuff the way they do in KH2. IMO one of the best uses of Disney worlds in KH2 is Olympus Coliseum and when you think about it it is almost surprising since it's a crossover hell. Not only is your world specific characters in there, so is Pete, Auron and Demyx. And I like how they do the story in that world. They ain't making some grand story about Hercules becoming a god or something even tho they reuse the images from the movie in second visit. All Hercules really does is gain his confidence back and remember what makes a true hero. Hades doesn't have any larger than life schemes to take over the world, he is just fun to watch and all he wants to do is take down Herc. Auron cameo is great and Pete is fun to have there bumbling around. Neither take the center stage but they really fit in that world without feeling forced in (like Pete in Port Royal for example). Olympus was the world that found the best balance of Disney and KH. It was very disney focused but they did it without it feeling forced in to the storyline.

One of the reasons I like Monstro in KH1 is how genious it is to make Pinocchio world not feel forced. IIRC Monstro happens in like the last 20 mins of the movie and they made a whole world out of it. And it works! And it's a whale in space! And the reason it works is that they cut the story of the movie out and actually fit it in the world and used the characters to make it feel important instead.

Halloween Town was great in KH1 and that is another one that didn't try to replicate the plot. They used that in KH2 and at that point it kinda works because you had established the characters and the world in the previous game. If Santa Claus ect. were in KH1 the world would probably have been a lot less good.

Yep, I agree.

I like the ideas about future integration of Disney and Square Enix. I have 2 questions though.

1.) Can Nomura use any characters from any Square Enix game or can he only use the ones he's created? (I think Vivi is the only character he didn't create that has appeared).

2.) I remember reading somewhere that Disney doesn't like having its characters mixing in the same worlds eg. Aladdin appearing in Wonderland. However, Maleficient, Pete and the Princesses of Heart have all mixed in different worlds as well as Donald, Goofy, Merlin etc. So does that mean we could have see Robin Hood turn up in Frozen's world or is that not allowed?
1) I don't know ''any'' but he probably has pretty free hands. The reason for FF9 ect. being in the backround is that he personally rather use the characters he worked on. But I guess in the future the chances of more non Nomura origin characters is bigger when they want fresh cameos.

2)I have no idea about this but AFAIK Disney is not overly protective about stuff like that. There are TONS of crossover stuff in Disney universe over the years be it animation, comics or games. I think the reason is to make it more consistent. But who knows.

Blink Me

1) I don't know ''any'' but he probably has pretty free hands. The reason for FF9 ect. being in the backround is that he personally rather use the characters he worked on. But I guess in the future the chances of more non Nomura origin characters is bigger when they want fresh cameos.

2)I have no idea about this but AFAIK Disney is not overly protective about stuff like that. There are TONS of crossover stuff in Disney universe over the years be it animation, comics or games. I think the reason is to make it more consistent. But who knows.

Thanks for answering. That would be cool then if we got some other FF characters in the game like Steiner, Sabin and Quina.

Honestly, the Disney sections/stories are always my least favorite parts of the Kingdom Hearts games. I assume it's just because of how they are handled more than anything since I like Disney in general. I'm just far more invested in the original characters/story at this point. I think it's because what usually happens is the beginning has a lot of main story arc stuff, then nothing much happens until the end of the game with the rest being Disney filler. KH2 has a bit more happening in the middle, but still, most of it happens at the end. Having the main story being more spread out in the Disney worlds would definitely help them not feel like filler content.

As far as the SE characters goes... Hm, I'm fine with them being side stories. Incorporating them into the main story would be okay as well. Speaking of Vivi... he's my favorite Final Fantasy character, and I hated how they used him in KH2. :( And that voice wasn't really how I thought Vivi would sound, lol.

These are all really good points.

I fully understand that they're likely to continue having FF characters show up in Radiant Garden and whichever other towns, but integrating them into other worlds and making those worlds tell their own fun stories is much better than trying to parallel the film plots.

Just finished the HD Remix version and was thinking of picking up Re: Coded and 358/2 days. What is the general consensus on 358/2 days, is it worth picking up?

zeemumu

Just finished the HD Remix version and was thinking of picking up Re: Coded and 358/2 days. What is the general consensus on 358/2 days, is it worth picking up?

It's very repetitive and you will only play it for the cutscenes. Just watch it online, you won't miss anything.

botty

Banned

It has the best story after Kingdom Hearts 2. It's an amazing experience, and only feels repetitive if you're trying to complete every single mission (which isn't necessary). The mission system allows for you to pick it up and play it on the go as often as you like. The level up system is really interesting and often considered a highlight of the game.

Re: Coded is a great game also, but if you're buying it for the story you're better off just watching it online. It has better gameplay than 358/2 days, though.

Malyse

This has no chance in hell of happening, but would be amazing if it did: world mashups. What do I mean? Well, we know that Tangled and Frozen both take place in the same universe. At the end of Tangled, Rapunzel mentions visiting Aredelle in the spring and and the beginning of Frozen, she and Flynn show up at Elsa's coronation. In the same vein, Belle occasionally gets her books from Notre Dame. Also, the ship that sank in Frozen is the ship Ariel finds in The Little Mermaid. All that got me to thinking: how cool would it be if Kingdom Hearts did world mashups? I mean, is there any reason that the sea of Atlantica can't connect to Neverland? And why not make Tangled and Frozen as part of the same world? Are there any worlds that you would like to see combined?

rs_560x250-140320143114-frozentangled.gif

rs_560x415-140320143105-frozentangled3.jpg

rs_560x415-140320143109-frozentangled2.jpg

rs_560x250-140320143117-frozentangled4.gif

rs_560x250-140320143109-frozentangled5.gif

rs_560x315-140320143122-frozentangledship.gif

zeemumu

I still want my haunted mansion world. It would be great. The mansion's layout is big enough to be its own world, it'll give them the chance to use some of the nightmare before christmas heartless designs along with some new ones, the mansion's screwed up history could easily contribute to something about darkness, and Xehanort could be using the hatbox ghost or the ghost host to lure in more heartless to the mansion. Also the raven is the keyhole.

Malyse

We can all agree that revisiting the same worlds over and over again is not all that awesome right? I mean, cool as it was going to Neverland and not being on that damn ship for once, I could happily go without it for a while.

I would also like to submit that the worlds in the handheld titles is almost remarkably underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I loved BbS and 3D is my favorite game in the series, but neither of them had anything as wide in scale as Twilight Town. Plus I honestly think some of those worlds were wasted on the games they put them in. I, for one, think Hunchback of Notre Dame got the shaft: they barely touched on the world plot. On top of all that, there's the fact that in both BBS and 3D, the world story was the b plot, likely because you have to traverse each world thrice or twice respectively.

All that build up to ask this question: How would you feel about using old Disney cartoons for non numbered entries (like Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck)? As previously stated, most of the handheld entries are focused almost entirely on the specific games plot. Given the episodic nature of the old cartoons, it would be significantly easier to do the storytelling, as the KH Team could easily create any type of scenario they like and wrap it in that particular setting. For example, something like gargoyles has an overarching narrative, so they could easily weave the KH plot into the world's story.

sasuke_91

I would love the idea of visiting Disney Cartoon worlds. Gummi Bears or Balu come to mind. How cool would it be to drink Gummiberry Juice or fly around with Balu. Given that they put some thought into it and make a cool experience out of it.
Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck sounds very cool as well.

I think there are some that'd be neat (most notably Gargoyles) but I don't think it's very likely, based partly on precedent, based partly on what makes sense for Disney to promote. But they've surprised us in the past with Tron/PotC/Steamboat Willie and could do it again.

Malyse

Or, why do you play the games?
Is it the music? The gameplay? The Disney? The Square Enix? The plot? Basically, what's your impetus for continuing?

For example, if the gameplay is super critical, did you hate CoM? And if the story matters so much, how did you like coded? So on and so forth.

Is it the music? The gameplay? The Disney? The Square Enix? The plot? Basically, what's your impetus for continuing?

For example, if the gameplay is super critical, did you hate CoM? And if the story matters so much, how did you like coded? So on and so forth.

For me, it's a combination of the story/characters (non-Disney story, the overarching one basically) and the combat. The story is really fun despite it's goofiness (pun intended) and sometimes convoluted nature (part of the fun if figuring out what is going on!). The battle system itself has always been fantastic to me. I do feel like they have gotten better at making the gameplay systems more satisfying as time went on (the peak for me would probably be BBS with the great battle system and the addicting as hell leveling up/combining abilities stuff).

Sadly, I have never played CoM mainly because the gameplay doesn't look like something I would enjoy. Before 2.5 releases, I will finally play Re:COM via 1.5, but I kind of dread it. :x That's probably not fair since I haven't given it a chance, but I dunno... I would have preferred the regular battle system for the Re: version. Re: coded has fun gameplay, but the story is pretty meh minus the secret ending. It's one of my least favorites.

Oh, I do want to say though that the music is top notch in the series. <3 Shimomura (and the other contributors) <3 The Disney aspect is alright, but I would honestly be ok if every world was a unique/original world created by SE (but still kept some Disney characters like Mickey/Donald/Goofy in particular).

Blink Me

This has no chance in hell of happening, but would be amazing if it did: world mashups. What do I mean? Well, we know that Tangled and Frozen both take place in the same universe. At the end of Tangled, Rapunzel mentions visiting Aredelle in the spring and and the beginning of Frozen, she and Flynn show up at Elsa's coronation. In the same vein, Belle occasionally gets her books from Notre Dame. Also, the ship that sank in Frozen is the ship Ariel finds in The Little Mermaid. All that got me to thinking: how cool would it be if Kingdom Hearts did world mashups? I mean, is there any reason that the sea of Atlantica can't connect to Neverland? And why not make Tangled and Frozen as part of the same world? Are there any worlds that you would like to see combined?

This is something I would definitely want to happen especially with returning worlds. I mainly want the focus of KH3 to be on new Disney/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel worlds rather than the same old ones. In theory Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pinocchio and Atlantica could all be part of the same world (Medieval/Renaissance Europe). Agrabah, Mulan and Olympus Coliseum could be one world since I think they're set in Ancient Times. The only ones which might not fit in are Halloween Town, Tron, 100 Acre Wood, POTC, Neverland, Pride Lands, Wonderland and Stitch. Even then though you could have an amalgamated world like End of Worlds in KH1 where each district is one of the old worlds.

I'm quite happy to see this done with new worlds as well since Sword in the Stone, Tangled, Rapunzel, Black Cauldron, Robin Hood and Pocahontas (kind of) could fit in with the Renaissance Europe world.

Then you could have a 19th/Early 20th Century world with Basil the Great Mouse Detective, Wonderland, Neverland, Aristocats, Jungle Book and (if Disney are allowed to use the rights), Tarzan.

Then you could do a modern day world with the Rescuers, Lilo and Stitch, Oliver and Company, Toy Story, 101 Dalmations etc.

As for why I play KH its definitely for Disney. Lost interest in the original story after 2. Do like the Square Enix cameos as well.

Caladrius

Gameplay, more specifically extra bosses.

Everything else is a plus, though the plot is somewhat important, moreso in the games that don't play that well.

And coded suffers both from being on the DS, and a plot that starts nowhere and arrives at nothing.

Top Bottom