• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

UOyQs2w.png

Yeah man, the action. The people.

Is there a reason KH games never have any NPCs? Makes the worlds feel like contained tiny stages rather than the sprawling worlds they're supposed to be, it's always been one of my biggest criticisms.
Processing power.

Son Of D

At least we could hope for Mahval right? Sora runs into the Avengers?

Sora, Donald and Goofy standing next to the Avengers in a replica of the 360 shot from the movie sounds like something they'd want to do. I doubt there would be any artstyle issues either unless SE really want to base any hypothetical Marvel content on the MCU movies.

On that note actually, in the hypothetical situation that Marvel gets included in KH, do you think that Disney would want them to focus more on the Avengers rather than Spider-Man and X-Men?

Tsunamo

I should platinum Re:CoM one day. I have everything but the beat the game on Beginner with Sora and Riku trophys, the hard part's over and yet I can't bring myself to playthrough it a 3rd time. Maybe i'll get around to it close to 2.5s release.
I thought the whole mission-style gameplay brought it down. I prefer watching the movie just because of how slow the game feels. It doesn't play too much like a traditional KH game.
One thing that bugs me about the movie is it doesn't develop the organization members or introduce them enough to get to know them better which the game does more in missions dialog.

I'd say play it if you want to but watching the movie's probably more enjoyable. Personally though i'm one of the few who enjoyed Days and its mission structure (I thought it went well with the panel system) I just felt it was lacking abilitys early enough in the game to make movement less tedious and more enjoyable which made it more of a drag doing them.
Processing power.
As much as i'd like to be wrong I still don't think we'll get more npcs/npc interaction in worlds even after Nomuras talks of the PS4 (and by extention Xbox Ones) power being overwhelming. It would be great if we did though.

UOyQs2w.png

Yeah man, the action. The people.

Is there a reason KH games never have any NPCs? Makes the worlds feel like contained tiny stages rather than the sprawling worlds they're supposed to be, it's always been one of my biggest criticisms.

Do my eyes deceive me or you'r not using a widescreen fix?

I just want to know why Xehanort is returning in his original form. Shouldn't he still be in Terra's body? For that matter, how are AnsemSOD and Xemnas, both fractions of a complete person, back in 3D?

Because no one seems to have explained this to you:

The plot of KH3D is that when Ansem SOD lost his corporeal form, it was because he traveled back in time to contact his younger self, which requires you to leave your body behind. He then sends his younger self forward in time to summon all his various incarnations in the present (including his other partial selves, Nobodies who he built up to share his heart and will, and I suppose his original self, too).

We don't fully know if Master Xehanort is the Xehanort form that was restored (I know Re:Coded kind of implies this), or whether he was brought through time along with the other Xehanorts. So it could be that Terra-Xehanort is the complete self that was actually restored. 3D does actually allude to Terra still being lost to Xehanort's side.

zeemumu

If the Keyblade Graveyard is still intact, why doesn't anyone who knows of its existence ever go back there?
Because no one seems to have explained this to you:

The plot of KH3D is that when Ansem SOD lost his corporeal form, it was because he traveled back in time to contact his younger self, which requires you to leave your body behind. He then sends his younger self forward in time to summon all his various incarnations in the present (including his other partial selves, Nobodies who he built up to share his heart and will, and I suppose his original self, too).

We don't fully know if Master Xehanort is the Xehanort form that was restored (I know Re:Coded kind of implies this), or whether he was brought through time along with the other Xehanorts. So it could be that Terra-Xehanort is the complete self that was actually restored. 3D does actually allude to Terra still being lost to Xehanort's side.

Master Xehanort alluded that Terranort is one of the not yet revealed members of the New Organization, didn't he?

Loke13

If the Keyblade Graveyard is still intact, why doesn't anyone who knows of its existence ever go back there?

Master Xehanort alluded that Terranort is one of the not yet revealed members of the New Organization, didn't he?
I think the only person who knows about it and is a position to go there would be Yen sid. Xehanort still needs his 13th self.

Square registered a trademark for a prequel trilogy. What are the chances of this being KH related? I mean, they promised a KH game every year, right?

Square registered a trademark for a prequel trilogy. What are the chances of this being KH related? I mean, they promised a KH game every year, right?

I really doubt it, if only because there's not really any good team to be working on three unannounced KH games.

UNLESS it's about a KH 1.5 + KH 2.5 + DDD release for PS4, I guess. But that's either 4 games and 3 movies or 5 games and 2 movies. Not exactly a trilogy.

Village

I really doubt it, if only because there's not really any good team to be working on three unannounced KH games.

UNLESS it's about a KH 1.5 + KH 2.5 + DDD release for PS4, I guess. But that's either 4 games and 3 movies or 5 games and 2 movies. Not exactly a trilogy.

I suppose they would package it in away where its 3 products.

Also I would buy the shit out of it, specially if its like extra end of the game shit in preperation for 3

Nah, they're FF Before-Lightning, FF Lightning-Core, and FF Dirge of Lightning.

Nnnnaaaaah.

Yeah, actually I don't believe the prequel trilogy is KH related either, but I wonder what KH they plan to release next year, maybe DDD HD?

Groof

I can't see them rereleasing these games on the PS4 as well unless they're complete remakes... And if they do I'll be sad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ivalice prequels yesssssssssss. Or FFX prequels. Heck, honestly speaking most of the Final Fantasy settings would make for awesome prequels. Even FFXIII. My gut feeling says it's a non-Japanese IP though, despite it being SQEX-JP related.

On the topic of KH, been finishing off plat for KHFM 1.5 and good God Gummi missions are going to make me go bald(er).

Also never knew you could max out the number rofl
4Z1IJFV.jpg

Groof

On the topic of KH, been finishing off plat for KHFM 1.5 and good God Gummi missions are going to make me go bald(er).

Also never knew you could max out the number rofl
4Z1IJFV.jpg

You're stronger willed than me. The synth item grinding has taken its toll on me, so I've decided to skip the gummi missions for any foreseeable future.

I did have the most nerve-wracking fight against Sephiroth just a moment ago though. I don't remember the fight being that spooky! At least I beat him on my second try.

Falk

that puzzling face
I admit to sticking tape on my monitor for positioning for some of the 'don't take damage' missions.

Also having Battleship Bravery playing helps

Groof

I admit to sticking tape on my monitor for positioning for some of the 'don't take damage' missions.

Also having Battleship Bravery playing helps

This sounds like straight up insanity.

Oh and does anyone know where the best place to grind for the Defender shield is?

Falk

that puzzling face
6 defenders in 3 waves in Traverse 3, which you can reset by just going next door to Traverse 1 if you have Encounter Up equipped. You can literally run in and spam Thundaga twice per wave and then air boost around to scoop everything up, rinse, repeat.

Groof

Ah yes. I keep forgetting about Traverse Town, for whatever reason.

Which also reminds me I have to go Sniper Wild hunting later.

Fuck.

Falk

that puzzling face
If CoM plat didn't require another ~200 hours of grinding I might be tempted to redo all gummi missions on proud just because.

Lnds500

so I recently started a playthrough of KH 1.5, and I'm at the part where i'm fighting Riku/Ansem (haven't beaten him yet though :/) this is my first time playing the Kingdom Hearts series, but I essentially already know everything about the series from when my brother played. (I.E. spoilers for most games aside from DDD are not a problem for me). I have a couple questions for you guys though. First, is there any order I should play the games in? I know there's a timeline (I.E. BBS -> KH1 -> Chain/358/2 -> 2, etc.), but is it better to play in order of release date, or does it not really matter?

I recommend in release order. BBS is the big ? for newcomers. Gameplay-wise, you'll proably be disappointed when you get your hands on KH1 if you play BBS first but I'd be very interested to see how playing BBS firstly would have affected my understanding of the later proceedings.

Btw, your timeline is slightly wrong. This is the best timeline I can find.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/243/3/d/kingdom_hearts_storyline_by_sora21-d48goyd.jpg

Second, I have access to every KH game except BBS. Is it worth it to actually play 358/2 Days, or is it ok to just watch the "movie" in the 1.5 Remix. My brother really like Days, but I'm not sure if I want to play it at the moment.

If you were a newcomer, I'd recommend skipping 358/2 Days altogether until you were familiar with KH2's plot.

I really liked days as well. I thought it was fun and it was my first KH game in years!

I have strong objections concerning how much of emotion the movie can convey to the player compared to the original though. A lot of the bonding between the characters and the player is happening by playing every mission individually and then coming to the sad finale. The game may be a bit repetitive (I wasn't bored, but that's the most common criticism), but its repetition and mission structure help the player bond with the characters and relate with what is happening to them. The movie simply doesn't have the same impact you'd get from playing the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Square Enix Presents at E3 actually put together a really cool infographic in their KH2.5 presentation re: which games are where chronologically. A lot less detailed but much easier to take in at a glance.

edit: here
tumblr_n70xnbiLzh1r0dp4jo1_500.png

Lnds500

Square Enix Presents at E3 actually put together a really cool infographic in their KH2.5 presentation re: which games are where chronologically. A lot less detailed but much easier to take in at a glance.

You know, I have that somewhere on my PC and I can't find it :p

Falk

that puzzling face
Just found out that somewhere along the way while doing the rest of the trophies I had overwritten my Proud save (was just past Atlantica) meaning I'll have to start all over again for Proud Player. Also overwrote my near-end save for Unchanging Armor (on Beginner, same playthrough as the gummi ships/synthesis)

Gaaaaaaaaaah.

That's an unbelievable feat considering the game has like 100 save slots. (To be fair the more slots you use the longer it takes to access the save menu because the game flips through all of them every time)

Oh well, I guess that's what happens when you return to platinum trophy a game after months-long absence and can't remember jack shit about what you meant to do.

Just found out that somewhere along the way while doing the rest of the trophies I had overwritten my Proud save (was just past Atlantica) meaning I'll have to start all over again for Proud Player. Also overwrote my near-end save for Unchanging Armor (on Beginner, same playthrough as the gummi ships/synthesis)

Gaaaaaaaaaah.

That's an unbelievable feat considering the game has like 100 save slots. (To be fair the more slots you use the longer it takes to access the save menu because the game flips through all of them every time)

Oh well, I guess that's what happens when you return to platinum trophy a game after months-long absence and can't remember jack shit about what you meant to do.

Just one more reason to keep playing KH1!

By the way my dear KHGAF, while the release of 2.5 is still millenias away it is creeping closer with each passing day. And we have yet to put our silly heads together to decide on the extremely witty/stupid/dry OT Title! So start crackin and post your best and worst!

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Get back up on the Hydra's back!
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Icecream thread (it's still funny to me damnit!)

And yes, it has to be II.5. Just because it's so stupid.

I don't really agree that it's super essential to play 358/2 Days *after* KH2. Sure, that's how I did it and it's how most people did it, but the idea that it somehow spoils things for KH2 (outside of Organization member reveals) is nonsense.

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| RE:Coded the movie!! and some other games
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Thanks, Namine
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is everyone
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| 2.5
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Get up on the Hydra's back, in HD!
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Atlantica Musicals in HD

Caladrius

Days and 2 aren't slightly overlapping 0/5 stars :V

I don't really agree that it's super essential to play 358/2 Days *after* KH2. Sure, that's how I did it and it's how most people did it, but the idea that it somehow spoils things for KH2 (outside of Organization member reveals) is nonsense.

Well Days ends with
Roxas being abducted and put inside the simulated Twilight Town.
So the prologue's twist is ruined.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| RE:Coded the movie!! and some other games
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Thanks, Namine
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is everyone
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| 2.5
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Get up on the Hydra's back, in HD!
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Atlantica Musicals in HD

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| Birth by Sleep isn't a spin-off you morons
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| On our way to the Xeha-fort
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| Don't "Linger" on the past
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| It's been a long time, friend

Tsunamo

Oddly enough the Defender Shield was one of the most frequent drops I got while farming in Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes Japanese version, I didn't have such luck on the English version.

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Re:Final Mix Theater Edition (now with free disney pin)
I did have the most nerve-wracking fight against Sephiroth just a moment ago though. I don't remember the fight being that spooky! At least I beat him on my second try.
You have no idea how frightening that match was to seven year old me and with the game running in 50hz it was literally going in slow motion.
THANK JESUS
You have conquered insanity inducing missions, congrats Falk.
Now try the gummi ship missions on Final Mix

Well Days ends with
Roxas being abducted and put inside the simulated Twilight Town.
So the prologue's twist is ruined.

Yeah but the prologue is a really really small
really really boring
part of KH2's plot. If anything, it'd just add to the sort of bittersweet/melancholic undertone that the sequence has, much like second/third/whatever playthroughs of KH2.

Tsunamo

1.5 runs at 30fps

Did you actually mean 25fps for PAL KH1? I can't even begin to imagine.
Yeah, Square-Enix were terrible with their PAL versions in the pre-HD games era. Going through Kingdom Hearts at 30fps in 1.5 was such a breath of fresh air. (for boss battles especially due to a massive difference in how lengthy they were)

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| Sora is everyone, Riku does everything
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| "Indeed"
Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| This Sanctuary wasn't that Simple and Clean

I'm terrible, i know.

Btw, i'm an awful fan for not playing or caring for Re:Coded? i just can't seem to get any interest on that game...

Hachitora

Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD ReMiX |OT| Death is but an inconvenience
Btw, i'm an awful fan for not playing or caring for Re:Coded? i just can't seem to get any interest on that game...

The game wasn't all that interesting imo. It doesn't really have too much plot relevance either. It does shed some light on a few things, but overall it doesn't really impact anything iirc. I didn't like the gameplay all that much either. It was a bit better than Days though. I'm not a fan of the command deck, but I didn't really like the panels of Days either.

Seda

I think recoded had some interesting ideas with its progression systems but otherwise I'm never going to be itching to replay it.

Top Bottom