• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Kinsei

Banned
Was it ever explained how Terra saw
a vision of the future
in BbS? I'm replaying it and that really stuck out to me.

DKHF

Interesting that the assumption is KH and not the Final Fantasy VII Remake
He could just be going in to do VO for an E3 FFVIIR trailer (or the full game). He was probably just told by SE he is coming in to voice Cloud for "something", not specifying the project.

Malyse

So we know that the Big Hero 6 world is a follow up to the plot of the movie. What other Disney movie worlds could be done as sequels to their respective films?

-----

Two come to mind immediately.

1. Zootopia - The movie is actually a mystery story and doesn't end in a way to preclude sequels. Actually, considering its massive BO take, I expect lots of sequels. A KH original story should be a piece of cake.
  2. Mulan - Since Mulan 2 is basically about her wedding, how about a midquel story that takes place between the two films? Maybe something to do with remnants of Shan Yu's army making one last push or something. I dunno, I don't work for Disney.
What you got?

So we know that the Big Hero 6 world is a follow up to the plot of the movie. What other Disney movie worlds could be done as sequels to their respective films?

-----

1. Zootopia - The movie is actually a mystery story and doesn't end in a way to preclude sequels. Actually, considering its massive BO take, I expect lots of sequels. A KH original story should be a piece of cake.
  2. Mulan - Since Mulan 2 is basically about her wedding, how about a midquel story that takes place between the two films? Maybe something to do with remnants of Shan Yu's army making one last push or something. I dunno, I don't work for Disney.
What you got?
Mmm Cinderella?
Peter pan- wendys daughter
Lion king 2,lions guard

I got nothing

botty

Banned
tumblr_o3gt36vTxx1rc2hf4o1_500.jpg

We deserve better.

botty

Banned

-----

What you got?

Would be shocked if we don't get Jungle Book in some form. It was planned at one point for Birth By Sleep(?) and they have a new live action movie coming out this year.

I'd also like to see a world based on Sword in the Stone. Merlin is criminally underused in the series and deserves more screen time. 😛

Malyse

Would be shocked if we don't get Jungle Book in some form. It was planned at one point for Birth By Sleep(?) and they have a new live action movie coming out this year.

I'd also like to see a world based on Sword in the Stone. Merlin is criminally underused in the series and deserves more screen time. 😛
Sequels. Not what world do you want to see. I think you managed to pick the two least sequel ready films in Disney's catalog.

Wait, so there's a mobile game called chi and a browser game called chi that are different in some way? And the game that's in 2.8 is not a re-release of those two games but something else that adds to them? Fuck

I give up Nomura

you won

Malyse

Wait, so there's a mobile game called chi and a browser game called chi that are different in some way? And the game that's in 2.8 is not a re-release of those two games but something else that adds to them? Fuck

I give up Nomura

you won

χ[chi] = Browser game in Japanese. Will never be localized. Farthest along in plot and currently approaching its climax. This is the coded version.

Unchained χ = mobile game in Japanese. Planned for release worldwide. Take place in what appears to be a parallel world. Significantly easier to play. Streamlined story. This is the Re:coded version. The plot is slightly different, but the events covered are the same.

χ Back Cover = Movie about the Foretellers and the Keyblade war. Not playable. This is simultaneously the Re:coded movie and the Reverse/Rebirth for χ. Same time frame, different perspective. Should be interesting cause shit is fucked in the story right now.

Everything is falling apart. Ephemera is gone, the Heartless are talking, the Foretellers are fighting, there's a scaryfuck Nightmare Chirithy, and for the first time in two and a half years, the player character spoke. You've been canonically mute the entire time; your Chirithy was all "Wait, what the fuck?" when you finally talked. [chi]'s plot is bonkers. It's great.

Did I mention that none of this is happening? You are stuck in some kind of false world a la Data Twilight Town, which is why you can do things like interact with Aladdin and Belle and Snow and kill the Evil Queen without messing up canon.

botty

Banned
Sequels. Not what world do you want to see. I think you managed to pick the two least sequel ready films in Disney's catalog.
Ah... Wrote this super late last night sorry. Hmm... Another Pirates world with Davy Jones. And I think the jungle book sequel world could work... In the same way The Lion King world used the back half of its actual story and then added an original story section on the second return.

Falk

that puzzling face

I give up Nomura

you won

Maybe Unchained χ is actually the nobody of χ

χ[chi] = Browser game in Japanese. Will never be localized. Farthest along in plot and currently approaching its climax. This is the coded version.

Unchained χ = mobile game in Japanese. Planned for release worldwide. Take place in what appears to be a parallel world. Significantly easier to play. Streamlined story. This is the Re:coded version. The plot is slightly different, but the events covered are the same.

χ Back Cover = Movie about the Foretellers and the Keyblade war. Not playable. This is simultaneously the Re:coded movie and the Reverse/Rebirth for χ. Same time frame, different perspective. Should be interesting cause shit is fucked in the story right now.

Everything is falling apart. Ephemera is gone, the Heartless are talking, the Foretellers are fighting, there's a scaryfuck Nightmare Chirithy, and for the first time in two and a half years, the player character spoke. You've been canonically mute the entire time; your Chirithy was all "Wait, what the fuck?" when you finally talked. [chi]'s plot is bonkers. It's great.

Did I mention that none of this is happening? You are stuck in some kind of false world a la Data Twilight Town, which is why you can do things like interact with Aladdin and Belle and Snow and kill the Evil Queen without messing up canon.

That doesn't make me feel better lol

zeemumu

I was under the impression that heartless could always talk, kinda like how lesser nobodies can talk.

Take place in what appears to be a parallel world.

I'm not entirely sure that it takes place in a parallel universe from the browser game. I think they just made modifications where they saw fit and this one is the new canon, like the remakes of coded and CoM were for their older counterparts and what Final Mixes are for the main games. They still market them as the same game.

That doesn't make me feel better lol

Chi's a browser game, Unchained is the mobile port, and back cover is Unchained's prequel/midquel movie.

Malyse

I'm not entirely sure that it takes place in a parallel universe from the browser game. I think they just made modifications where they saw fit and this one is the new canon, like the remakes of coded and CoM were for their older counterparts and what Final Mixes are for the main games. They still market them as the same game.

The basic story-line between Kingdom Hearts Chi and Unchained Chi are, for the most part, similar. But there is a bit of a gimmick, per say, between the two versions, so that there is a bit of a differentiation between the browser game and the smartphone version. You’ll find out the two different Chis as the story unveils. And a certain secret will be revealed as you’re going through the story-line.

Famitsu: A second time? Previously, you said that it would be about coming and going between both worlds, implying that the worlds of KHχ and KH Unchained χ are two separate entities?

Nomura: Well, I wonder what that means… (laughs) There will be a hint about that in the next story scenario coming to KHχ soon. We’ve made improvements to the story distribution in KHχ, so that’s something to look forward to as the story progresses from here onwards. Furthermore, the story of KH Unchained χ is fundamentally the same as KHχ. But as a matter of course, they are two titles in a sense, and there is definitely something to playing both of them.

Plus there's the fact that the plots are already diverging. But the fact that he makes mentions of two different Chis along with the fact that he says "similar" and not "the same" makes it seem that they are two different stories.

-----

The hot rumor is that Skuld is the sixth/Black Coat.

zeemumu

Plus there's the fact that the plots are already diverging. But the fact that he makes mentions of two different Chis along with the fact that he says "similar" and not "the same" makes it seem that they are two different stories.

So the western audience doesn't get half the story?

botty

Banned
I'm kind of excited to see where Chi falls on the importance spectrum. Feels like it is teetering between Coded and Days in terms of what will actually matter come KH3.

zeemumu

I mean if some fan is up for making a fan translation of the browser game...

I think one might already exist but I was holding out for the idea that it'd all be in Unchained X.

I'm kind of excited to see where Chi falls on the importance spectrum. Feels like it is teetering between Coded and Days in terms of what will actually matter come KH3.

I think it's between 358/2 Days and BBS in terms of overall importance to KH's lore, and on par with Coded in terms of immediate importance to KH3, mostly because there isn't much left to know about the main plot that DDD didn't already set up. I feel like the Chi's are gonna revolve around someone using the datascape to search for the true nature of Kingdom Hearts.

Malyse

Famitsu - 9/14 said:
Nomura: The scenarios of KH3 and KHχ are intimately related, so they are being written at the same time.
Famitsu - 6/15 said:
Nomura: It will be something like that. Sora and his friends are going on a new journey, immediately after KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. Also, in KINGDOM HEARTS χ and KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ, it will begin to significantly involve Sora’s fate.
4Gamer - 7/15 said:
Nomura: In the world of Kingdom Hearts so far the phrase 'Keyblade War' has come up a few times, which refers to a legend regarding a huge war fought between Keyblade Wielders. Even in the trailer we just released for Kingdom Hearts III, those two boys are talking about the Keyblade War. The world of Unchainedχ is set during the age just before that war. If you play Unchainedχ you will enjoy KH3 even more, so I would by all means love for you to play it while you are waiting for KH3 to be released.

No, this is on Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance level important.

I mean if some fan is up for making a fan translation of the browser game...

Those already exist.

So if I want the full story, is there a way for me to read up on the entire story of [chi] in English even though it's a japanese browser game?

Yes. People really should pay more attention to me

-----

You distracted me. I came here to post this:

zeemumu

Hopefully they'll have a demo or something at D23 next year like they did for Battlefront. I don't think Disney Interactive has any other major titles coming up aside from Disney Infinity stuff.

botty

Banned
No, this is on Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance level important.

The only reason I'm still being cautious with this is cause back when Nomura was doing interviews for Coded and Days, he used similar language... Coded was supposed to reveal major secrets, have a deep connection to Days and BbS, and other stuff. I mean, it's fair that someone wants to hype their game as much as they can but we all know how that turned out. What Chi at least has are its unique setting and characters to make it seem important. Again, I have a strong feeling that all you need to know about Chi will be explained by the time you finish KH3's prologue... A la Chain of Memories ->KH2... In which case, maybe Chi is on par with that game.

Tsunamo

I'm really enjoying how Chi is picking up again. It went quiet for awhile and in terms of story updates it felt like it had slowed down quite a bit with them, but now things are finally picking up steam again (and judging by what's happening in Daybreak town now it looks like it'll only escalate more and more)

I do enjoy how Chi's making things a little more important aswell/bring elements from other games into the story couple of story spoilers, but I guess it's mostly just relaying what Malyse said anyway
Like it being implied in Re:codeds movie how the book of prophecys is similar to the data world in jiminys journal, the worlds we go being not the real thing like Malyse said linking back to Re:coded and making the dataworld in jiminys journal a little more interesting, chirithy being a dream eater linking back to dream drop distance

Also yeah I agree with Malyse, Nomura's implying they're two separate stories (and then we have backcover covering the behind the scenes stuff with the fortellers) means to me that they'll both be canon and separate with the storys diverging. The only problem I have with it is we wont be getting the original Chi in the West.

Malyse

I'm really enjoying how Chi is picking up again. It went quiet for awhile and in terms of story updates it felt like it had slowed down quite a bit with them, but now things are finally picking up steam again (and judging by what's happening in Daybreak town now it looks like it'll only escalate more and more)

I do enjoy how Chi's making things a little more important aswell/bring elements from other games into the story couple of story spoilers, but I guess it's mostly just relaying what Malyse said anyway
Like it being implied in Re:codeds movie how the book of prophecys is similar to the data world in jiminys journal, the worlds we go being not the real thing like Malyse said linking back to Re:coded and making the dataworld in jiminys journal a little more interesting, chirithy being a dream eater linking back to dream drop distance

Also yeah I agree with Malyse, Nomura's implying they're two separate stories (and then we have backcover covering the behind the scenes stuff with the fortellers) means to me that they'll both be canon and separate with the storys diverging. The only problem I have with it is we wont be getting the original Chi in the West.
Which would be interesting in and of itself alone. Diverging plots is a new look for KH.
A new waifu to surpass Aqua-san?
god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

Malyse

As you've probably noticed, Kingdom Hearts features a number of trios.

• Trio 1: Sora - Riku - Kairi
  • Trio 2: Roxas - Axel - Xion
  • Trio 3: Terra - Aqua - Ventus
  • Trio 4: Mickey - Donald - Goofy
And we can extend that with overlapped trios.

• Trio 5: Sora - Donald - Goofy
  • Trio 6: Sora - Namine - Riku Replica
  • Trio 7: Ventus - Lea - Isa (marginally)
With the introduction of Skuld to the canon of [chi], we now have a new trio:

• Trio 8: [Player] - Ephemera - Skuld
(I've probably missed a trio somewhere, but that's beside the point I want to posit)

With all that in mind, a few patterns emerge.

One: there's a lot of fighting in the trios. Sora v Riku, Roxas v Xion, Roxas x Axel, Axel v Xion (damn, they are dysfunctional), Terra v Aqua, Aqua v (possessed by Vanitas) Ventus, Ventus v Lea, Sora v Riku Replica, you get the point. Basically, of the first seven* only the ones with Donald and Goofy lack infighting (though the marginally included Ventus - Lea - Isa didn't have malice or killing intent in the fight and you could possibly make a weak argument for Donald fussing at Goofy as a fight). So extrapolating from that ,

Two: which character is [Player] going to end up fighting? Ephemera is both off the reservation and seemingly against the Foretellers so you might end up fighting him. Then again, you've already fought a Foreteller, so you might end up on his side. On the other hand Skuld has brown eyes and that habitually hasn't worked out in KH canon.

Three: with the exception of the Foretellers (which consist of three males, two females, and one black coat) every keyblade wielding character is in a trio of some sort with one exception: Xehanort and Eraqus. I'm wondering if we might not end up with a third female character to complete the trio of Eraqus and Xehanort.

Four: Lightning should join the game and make an elemental name trio with Cloud and Squall :3

*Technically, I suppose Hayner - Pence - Olette and Seifer - Fuu - Rai should be listed, but there's no keyblade wielder in either

#TeamGiveOletteaKeyblade

So, any thoughts?

Mediking

As you've probably noticed, Kingdom Hearts features a number of trios.

• Trio 1: Sora - Riku - Kairi
  • Trio 2: Roxas - Axel - Xion
  • Trio 3: Terra - Aqua - Ventus
  • Trio 4: Mickey - Donald - Goofy
And we can extend that with overlapped trios.

• Trio 5: Sora - Donald - Goofy
  • Trio 6: Sora - Namine - Riku Replica
  • Trio 7: Ventus - Lea - Isa (marginally)
With the introduction of Skuld to the canon of [chi], we now have a new trio:

• Trio 8: [Player] - Ephemera - Skuld
(I've probably missed a trio somewhere, but that's beside the point I want to posit)

With all that in mind, a few patterns emerge.

One: there's a lot of fighting in the trios. Sora v Riku, Roxas v Xion, Roxas x Axel, Axel v Xion (damn, they are dysfunctional), Terra v Aqua, Aqua v (possessed by Vanitas) Ventus, Ventus v Lea, Sora v Riku Replica, you get the point. Basically, of the first seven* only the ones with Donald and Goofy lack infighting (though the marginally included Ventus - Lea - Isa didn't have malice or killing intent in the fight and you could possibly make a weak argument for Donald fussing at Goofy as a fight). So extrapolating from that ,

Two: which character is [Player] going to end up fighting? Ephemera is both off the reservation and seemingly against the Foretellers so you might end up fighting him. Then again, you've already fought a Foreteller, so you might end up on his side. On the other hand Skuld has brown eyes and that habitually hasn't worked out in KH canon.

Three: with the exception of the Foretellers (which consist of three males, two females, and one black coat) every keyblade wielding character is in a trio of some sort with one exception: Xehanort and Eraqus. I'm wondering if we might not end up with a third female character to complete the trio of Eraqus and Xehanort.

Four: Lightning should join the game and make an elemental name trio with Cloud and Squall :3

*Technically, I suppose Hayner - Pence - Olette and Seifer - Fuu - Rai should be listed, but there's no keyblade wielder in either

#TeamGiveOletteaKeyblade

So, any thoughts?

I just hope Sora isn't the only playable character... Please give Kairi and Lea their own playable section. Focus on Sora but please let us play as Kairi and Lea in some form.

Oh and please make sure time skip Kairi looks good in this game. Hopefully Tetsuya Nomura's new outfit for Lea isn't crazy...

I just hope Sora isn't the only playable character... Please give Kairi and Lea their own playable section. Focus on Sora but please let us play as Kairi and Lea in some form.

Oh and please make sure time skip Kairi looks good in this game. Hopefully Tetsuya Nomura's new outfit for Lea isn't crazy...
If kairi isn't used for the tutorial section I'll lose my shit seems perfect for how Ddd ended.

Malyse

If kairi isn't used for the tutorial section I'll lose my shit seems perfect for how Ddd ended.

NOPE!
Yen Sid said:
I have come to learn that you, too, can wield a Keyblade. I am glad you are here. Master Xehanort has returned to gather the 13 Darknesses and we must be ready to oppose him with the 7 lights. You, Kairi, are begin training to use the Keyblade with a true master to teach you the proper way. As such, King Mickey will watch over your training as you enter the Realm of Sleep.
In the vein of Birth by Sleep Final Mix, we get an addition onto Dream Drop Distance HD: Kairi mode where she finishes the test that Sora and Riku would have done without Xehanort's interference and awakens the last Sleeping World. I don't count Destiny Islands as an actual world.

Hopefully Tetsuya Nomura's new outfit for Lea isn't crazy...

Did I just break both your hearts with what will never be?

NOPE!

In the vein of Birth by Sleep Final Mix, we get an addition onto Dream Drop Distance HD: Kairi mode where she finishes the test that Sora and Riku would have done without Xehanort's interference and awakens the last Sleeping World. I don't count Destiny Islands as an actual world.

Did I just break both your hearts with what will never be?

Don't you do this to me!! Kairi will be playable in kh3...

*cries in a corner

Malyse

What makes this a trio?
Three characters that are heavily invested in each other and fight together? What makes it anything but a trio?

----

Foretellers are a nightmare. Lady Ava hit me so hard she broke my reflect guard. 99 attacks and her life bar didn't ever budge. Pray to god Foretellers aren't bosses a la the data battles in KH2. Fuck that.

Three characters that are heavily invested in each other and fight together? What makes it anything but a trio?

----

Foretellers are a nightmare. Lady Ava hit me so hard she broke my reflect guard. 99 attacks and her life bar didn't ever budge. Pray to god Foretellers aren't bosses a la the data battles in KH2. Fuck that.
You... can fight the foretellers?

Top Bottom