• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

Timu

bandicam2017-09-1914-xsuak.png

Dammit!

snap

Banned
I was kind of expecting this to be a worse movie. Right off the first reveal where they implied "The Golden Circle" was a butthole joke it became apparent they were doubling down on the stuff of the original movie that wasn't what made it so likeable. Kingsman wasn't a good movie because it made jokes and was crass, it was good because it was stylish, suave, and slick in an era where spy movies are all either parodies of old Bond movies or Bourne inspired super serious grit-fests.

The cynicism and mean tone of the first one gave me a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

Will still see this as it seems a lot more ridiculous and less mean, but we'll see.

As if the original “Kingsman” weren’t cartoony enough, with its blade-legged lady assassin and gratuitous exploding-heads finale, the sequel has gone and pushed the franchise’s cheeky brand of absurdity even farther.

Variety saying this like it's a bad thing has me putting little stock into their review.

I only saw the first film recently. I started out really loving it, and as the film wore on it's like the tone changed from cheesy over-the-top crazy to juvenile and dumb. Like the movie morphed from Roger Moore Bond into Austin Powers. I ended up being a bit disappointed in it, but I would be up to see the sequel anyway. At least now I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Theecliff

Banned
off to see it tonight in a double bill with the first. these reviews aren't the most encouraging but i enjoyed the hell out of the first (and it has become a bit of a favourite to fall back on with some friends of mine) so hopefully it'll be as good - don't care if it doubles down on the absurd. will report back later.

Theecliff

Banned
at this point the first kingsman is like comfort food - i must have seen it like 6 or 7 times by now. rewatching it on the big screen was pretty fun, and made me notice (and renotice a few things), most notably:

the score is surprisingly good at times, especially the theme.

the whole classism issue still seems a bit muddled. well intentioned, but muddled.

the church scene is as good as ever.

the green screen and composite effects are fucking awful and seeing it blown up on the big screen only further highlighted this, yeesh. hopefully that's improved in this sequel.

excited for the sequel!

shaneo632

Just got home from a wedding wbere I got TRASHED. Walked straight to the cinema to catch the midnight screening of this. Reviews leave me unsure what to think.

At this point, the score doesn't make it a better or worse movie. If you liked the first and are looking forward to this, chances are you'll like it and still take note of its flaws. It's a solid follow up.

I tend not to write off critics, but in a world where Guardians 2 was well received, I do find this baffling.

It's a 20th Century Fox movie, which usually means Fox will push their own network into it (this happened all the time on 24, for example).

Plus, let's be honest, there's nothing more "American" than Fox News.

I've just never seen Fox News featured that prominently on that big a screen that many times before. I swear they even increased the size of the logo for this.

SpaceWolf

Banned
At this point, the score doesn't make it a better or worse movie. If you liked the first and are looking forward to this, chances are you'll like it and still take note of its flaws. It's a solid follow up.

I tend not to write off critics, but in a world where Guardians 2 was well received, I do find this baffling.

Guardians 2 was wonderful and was streaks ahead of the first, though.

It could be the bit where
a device needs to be placed somewhere with a mucus membrane so Eggsy has no other choice but to place it in the woman's vagina. It's a pretty unnecessary gag that's ultimately just an excuse for a cheap sex joke.

I was cringing when that was first suggested, but I didn't mind the execution
in the end, it was two adults consenting at a music festival, compare that to the last two Bond movies. The visual itself was surprising.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait, the original is only at 74%!?

The first Kingsman is one of the best action films this decade.

I find it to be the worst entry in the MCU, a phrase I haven't used since Iron Man 2 in 2010.

You're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

Wait, the original is only at 74%!?

You're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

Not everyone is a fan of the Mark Millar style, Vaughn likes to adapt.

Obviously, I'm not gonna make this a GotG2 thread, but holy shit can I break down scene for scene why that shit doesn't work. Only reason I brought it up is because (sans the violence) a lot of the complaints against Kingsman 2, I used almost verbatim when talking about Guardians 2.

Damn at those reviews and metascores. Liked the first and was really looking forward to this one.

Might check it out eventually, but I don't think I'll catch this one in the theaters. :/

Haines

Banned
Turns out good movies are hard to make.

I'll probably pass. Watched the first one twice and that was enough for me.

I agree, it's awesome and I've seen it at least 4 times.

I'm not that interested in this one though. The original basically dumps a bag of oreos on the floor and tells you to "eat the oreos off the floor like a animal you piece of shit".

Which is funny and unexpected. But it only works once. If you go back for seconds, without the element of surprise, it's on you at that point.

Then again, I'll probably get a craving for oreos sometime and go for it anyway.

Timu

RT's Critics Consensus is here!

Critics Consensus: Kingsman: The Golden Circle offers more of everything that made its predecessor so much fun, but lacks the original's wild creative spark.

Theecliff

Banned
hmmmm :/ after letting things ruminate on the way back home i think this might just be one of my biggest disappointments of the year (although i haven't really been looking forward to much recently). it definitely wasn't a bad film - mostly decent in fact - but it falls short of the first one (and - since comparisons are going on in this thread - i happen to be one of the weirdos that preferred guardians vol. 2 to the first). some things have improved but it never quite comes together in the same way.

but i'm pretty shattered so i'll try to expand on why a bit later.

as a side note i foresee a little bit of controversy surrounding a very particular
music festival related
scene in this film. it... did not quite sit right :/

Worse than Thor, Thor: Dark World, Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange? Please.

Yes. I don't even have to think about that. I'm not crazy about those either, but they're watchable. The movies you listed had plots and likable characters that weren't just screaming for two hours with the cheap explanation of "well, they scream and are mean to each other because they care" in the last 20 minutes. Don't even get me started on the child trafficker everyone forgave for no reason.

Lest we forget, the first movie began with a man being sliced clean in half and ended with literal worldwide chaos, and the world's richest and most powerful people, plus the governments of entire countries including the President of the US and his cabinet, dying in a colorful fireworks show of head explosions, which the world seemed to recover from pretty fast

Personally I found the best parts of the first movie were Egerton and the crazier stuff from the church massacre onward, so the sequel starting at that level of over-the-top and just going higher sounds pretty appealing

Might wait for a matinee though instead of a night showing

shaneo632

Just got back from it. Shocked how mediocre it was. At least 30 mins too long, most of the new cast members get little screen time, lame villain, Harry twist has a dull explanation. Honestly felt like a fanfic script at times. Also there's not much action and none of it comes close to the Church scene.

Theecliff

Banned
Lest we forget, the first movie began with a man being sliced clean in half and ended with literal worldwide chaos, and the world's richest and most powerful people, plus the governments of entire countries including the President of the US and his cabinet, dying in a colorful fireworks show of head explosions, which the world seemed to recover from pretty fast

Personally I found the best parts of the first movie were Egerton and the crazier stuff from the church massacre onward, so the sequel starting at that level of over-the-top and just going higher sounds pretty appealing

Might wait for a matinee though instead of a night showing
i would agree with you about the crazy tone but i do think there are a few moments where this film crosses a line from self awareness to a lack of it, specifically in regards to its obsession with a certain extended cameo. the worst offender happens during an important (and pretty great) action sequence towards the end of this film as it takes what was initially a fairly funny running gag (that has already started to become overplayed at this point) way too far, undermining the scene as a whole. it's only a small moment, but it's unlike anything that either film has done and - despite the general absurdity of the series so far - does not match tonally, especially in the moment, smacking like something that'd come straight out of a shitty generic american comedy that doesn't know how to use cameos properly attempting to do a 'comedic' fight scene. it kinda pissed me off in the moment.

if i'm sounding really down about this film i do want to reassure people that it's mostly a decent, but it's quite... messy.

kevin1025

Banned
Not as good as the first movie, but by no means a bad movie. The villain couldn't match up to Samuel L Jackson, but that's to be expected. Didn't like some of the subplots, but overall a very enjoyable movie

Also here's a treat for those who have seen it.

John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads

Wait, there's two Channing Tatum movies, a month apart, that use Take Me Home, Country Road?!

He should have starred in Alien Covenant for the trifecta.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Newcomer film critic Ronald Drumph laments “Obama’s head doesn’t even explode in this one. Bad!”

scarlet

Just finished. It's alright, but the sequel lost the charm of the 1st movie. And I didn't like how they set it up for the next one.

shaneo632

Some more spoilery impressions now I've slept. Granted I saw it drunk/high af but I'm really surprised how aggressively mediocre it was.

Killing off Roxy and the dog was BULLSHIT. The latter felt especially needless and mean-spirited but gg killing off one of the first film's few substantial female characters.

Most of the new actors were wasted. Channing Tatum spends most of the film in fucking cryosleep, Julianne Moore's villain is really meh. She's trying but the material is wack and she's off-screen for like 20-30 mins at a time.

Bridges and Berry are barely in it. Pascal's character has a weird ass arc where he ends up being the final boss. Not sure if it was just badly explained or I was too stoned for this part.

The film is TOO FUCKING LONG. Seriously, the whole Glastonbury subplot could've been cut and saved us all some time.

Also there's a weird war on drugs subplot involving Bruce Greenwood as the President of the US and Emily Watson as his aide. She ends up locked in a cage because reasons and the whole thing just seemed like it belonged in a different film.

Elton John cameo started off amusing but they leaned on it too much.

Biggest disappointment is the Harry reveal. Nothing clever or subversive, just "we used a special gel to protect his brain and now he's got amnesia" bullshit. I honestly would've preferred if they doubled down on the stupidity and just made him a twin or a robot or something.

Didn't care for Mark Strong's death either, lacked the emotion they were going for. And using it to set up a third Kingsman branch, Scotsman, wasn't a particularly interesting threequel hook.

The action looks better in this one, but it feels like there's less of it, perhaps because the film's so long, and there's NOTHING that even gets close to the church scene.

scarlet

Some more spoilery impressions now I've slept. Granted I saw it drunk/high af but I'm really surprised how aggressively mediocre it was.

Killing off Roxy and the dog was BULLSHIT. The latter felt especially needless and mean-spirited but gg killing off one of the first film's few substantial female characters.

Most of the new actors were wasted. Channing Tatum spends most of the film in fucking cryosleep, Julianne Moore's villain is really meh. She's trying but the material is wack and she's off-screen for like 20-30 mins at a time.

Bridges and Berry are barely in it. Pascal's character has a weird ass arc where he ends up being the final boss. Not sure if it was just badly explained or I was too stoned for this part.

The film is TOO FUCKING LONG. Seriously, the whole Glastonbury subplot could've been cut and saved us all some time.

Also there's a weird war on drugs subplot involving Bruce Greenwood as the President of the US and Emily Watson as his aide. She ends up locked in a cage because reasons and the whole thing just seemed like it belonged in a different film.

Elton John cameo started off amusing but they leaned on it too much.

Biggest disappointment is the Harry reveal. Nothing clever or subversive, just "we used a special gel to protect his brain and now he's got amnesia" bullshit. I honestly would've preferred if they doubled down on the stupidity and just made him a twin or a robot or something.

Didn't care for Mark Strong's death either, lacked the emotion they were going for. And using it to set up a third Kingsman branch, Scotsman, wasn't a particularly interesting threequel hook.

The action looks better in this one, but it feels like there's less of it, perhaps because the film's so long, and there's NOTHING that even gets close to the church scene.

You might be drunk, but your points are spot on

I assumed they set up Eggsy retirement and make Channing Tatum as the next main character?

Killing Roxy is really terrible

Strax

huh, surprised it dropped into rotten :/

Though I'm also surprised the first only has a 74% rt score, that movie was great/a ton of fun.

I'll never understand how people can love Kingsman so much. Matthew Vaughn has made some really entertaining films but Kingsman is, sigh, just not that. It's a movie made by an ad agency to be cool. It's so self-aware but lacks the soul of Hot Fuzz or Scott Pilgrim. There isn't a single likeable character in the entire film. Even the best scene in Kingsman the feels like was directed by a hungover Edgar Wright.

Top Bottom