• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klee et al purchasing receiver/speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Klee and anyone else who would like to chime in, I am buying a midrange receiver surround system for my parents. Budget is around $600. I am pretty sure I want to get the Panasonic SA-XR50 for the receiver (as I can get it for around $240). The speakers are more of a work in progress, so I just want to get them something initially passable and then possibly get better stuff later on. So that leaves 260-360 for speakers which isn't a lot, but my parents aren't the hugest audiophiles any suggestions would be awesome.

Burger

Your parents are the hugest audiophiles and you have a budget of $600 ??

Oh well, at least your not asking the impossible.

belmakor

Well, just off the top of my head then, I'd love to recommend the Mission M2S 5.1 set. Especially if these are going to be used for listening to music as well as watching movies on.

I think they'll come out closer to $400 or so dollars though, so that might put them out of your price range. If you still want something cheaper I'll rack my brain a little more.

belmakor

The Athenas are nice too, for the price range. Won't go wrong with them either.

You should be able to buy the Mission speakers in the states. I noticed just now google seems to bring up mostly British sites for prices though. I'm actually Canadian, and we get them here. If you're still curious I'd probably just email them and see if they sell them in your area.

info@mission-usa.com

The Tannoy FX 5.1s are also quite nice. You can usually find them on sale at around the price point you're looking for. Regular price might be a little high though.

The other thing you might want to look into are the Onkyo entry level packages. The HT-S660 and the HT-S760. They usually retail around $400 and $500 respectively. The S660 is a 5.1 while the S760 is a 6.1 system. They're basically pared down versions of their high-end home theatre recievers with their own matched speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom