• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack 2 review thread

Loudninja

Gamespot 7/10
Knack 2 is definitely a holdover from the past, but it manages to surprise with varied combat and the pleasing back and forth between big and little Knack. Where the original game felt, frankly, like a launch title meant to show off the power of a new system, Knack 2 is a more realized version of Knack as a character, and the wonderfully weird world he inhabits.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/knack-2-review/1900-6416749/

Future Five NZ 7.5
Aside from a cliche story and bland characters, Knack 2 is a fun platforming game that can be enjoyed by gamers of all ages. This is thanks to several new features to make the gameplay experience feel fresh. The first half of the game still feels boring, but things improve as you progress.
https://futurefive.co.nz/story/review-knack-2-surprisingly-big-improvement-over-original/

Kodaman

Zb9dgS2tTKOzGI6VHBJn1A.png

Neith

Banned
Not surprised. It's the best Knack game vs the worst ME game.

I mean his point was that in a world where you had two choices back then you would never pick Knack. Mass Effect seemed destined to make the perfect space RPG and little by little feel deeper into the shit before being swallowed whole.

Knack started out getting made fun of by a lot of people for its looks and attitude. And now here is a pretty solid game. It's actually crazy that this is how things wound up.

Probably the most important review of all. Kojima has a history of giving Knack the marks it deserves.

I was invited by mark and played the Japanese language version of Knack quickly. It’s an action game and it proceeds smoothly.

Operation is simple and easy, but it becomes a very hard game when I change the difficulty. It’s exhilarating when Knack becomes huge. I loved the traps like in Crash.

Knack: I played it for a little less than three hours at Sony Computer Entertainment. It seems that Mark created it very carefully. The next generation feeling is a bit thin, but it has interesting technical challenges to it.

Also, a father that loves FPS games, if he’s tired of firefights, can he try cooperative play with his children?

http://www.dualshockers.com/hideo-k...-knack-writes-a-mini-review-with-his-opinion/

I mean his point was that in a world where you had two choices back then you would never pick Knack. Mass Effect seemed destined to make the perfect space RPG and little by little feel deeper into the shit before being swallowed whole.

Knack started out getting made fun of by a lot of people for its looks and attitude. And now here is a pretty solid game. It's actually crazy that this is how things wound up.

I don't think we should get too carried away. ultimately I'm still disappointed that this is the flagship character action game for the PS4 considering the company's lineage with them and considering Mark's history.

I get the Knack 2 is better - and I'm looking forward to giving it a go - but I was still hoping for more from Mark than these reviews would seem to suggest.

It still boggles my mind that Knack was selected as the first PS4 game to ever be shown.

Now with alot reviews in we can say it is a huge step up from the first game.

No doubt - I just still wish we had a character action game on the level of Spyro/Ratchet/Crash/Jak. Looking forward to playing this though given the generally positive impressions in reviews and here.

silva1991

Now with alot reviews in we can say it is a huge step up from the first game.

Now that I actually played it I can say without a doubt that it's at least a decent game. It isn't weaker than three of my good 7/7.5/10 games from last year FFXV, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Digimon Cyber Sleuth as far as quality goes.

Crunched the OC numbers, just for fun: mean score is 73 (well, duh). Median is 75, with a standard deviation of ±10, with a kurtosis of around 1 (a fairly peaked distribution). Mode for the score was 80.

Now that I actually played it I can say without a doubt that it's at least a decent game. It isn't weaker than three of my good 7/7.5/10 games from last year FFXV, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Digimon Cyber Sleuth as far as quality goes.

I posted the comparison with Yooka-Laylee's MC score earlier in the thread, so now that I've actually played Knack 2, I'm going to chime in and say I'm enjoying it more than that game. It's not as charming or visually appealing, but I feel like the core gameplay is stronger.

Yoss

Neo Member
I don't think we should get too carried away. ultimately I'm still disappointed that this is the flagship character action game for the PS4 considering the company's lineage with them and considering Mark's history.

I get the Knack 2 is better - and I'm looking forward to giving it a go - but I was still hoping for more from Mark than these reviews would seem to suggest.

It still boggles my mind that Knack was selected as the first PS4 game to ever be shown.

I feel the same. I'll get Knack 2 and I'm sure I'll like it, but I'm hurting for some quality mascot platformers.

I feel the same. I'll get Knack 2 and I'm sure I'll like it, but I'm hurting for some quality mascot platformers.

Did you get the N. Sane Trilogy? I think that game's sales milestones will open Sony up to the idea of funding platformers in the near future.

Yoss

Neo Member
Did you get the N. Sane Trilogy? I think that game's sales milestones will open Sony up to the idea of funding platformers in the near future.

Yup, release day purchase. Same with Jak and Daxter even though the textures are kinda meh.

Wildo09

Eeh, I'd still play Andromeda over a Knack 2 any day of the week.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i have a ps4 pro and 1080π τω what should i chose? resolution or framerate?

high resolution unlocked feels pretty good. reminds me of infamous: ss in terms of performance. pretty smooth for the most part.

but if you want 60fps then yeah 1080 unlocked.

Eeh, I'd still play Andromeda over a Knack 2 any day of the week.
"Muh AAA titles have to be supported no matter the quality!"

As someone who has played both and considers the first KNACK to be poop, I'd rather play KNACK 2 over the clusterfuck that was Andromeda. At least KNACK 2 is competent, focused and polished compared to the other game. Oh and it's fun!

This Knack meme needs to die.😣

Its reaching Harambe levels😒
I can't continue with the meme now that KNACK 2 is actually a decent-to-good game.

KNACK 2 BABEEEEY

The 60 fps on Pro is like night and day for me compared to locked 30. I've never been one to be able to nail down the difference but in this game it feels like everything is just slower and knack is slower to respond when on locked 30.

I'm loving the game, makes up for my disappointment with Yooka-Laylee and I was itching for a little more platforming after the Crash Trilogy. The only complaint I could have is the characters and voice acting, but I don't really care about any of that stuff anyways and usually skip it when given the option.

jett

D-Member
Knack 2 hasn't even cracked the top 100 best-selling video games list at Amazon. I guess no matter how much Cerny pleads next time, this is the last we'll see of the Knack Attack.

Eurogamer's "aggressive charmlessness" is the perfect description of this IP. Whether or not the mechanics have been improved, the game continues to look like it was designed by committee to appeal to the widest group of people possible.

black070

Knack 2 hasn't even cracked the top 100 best-selling video games list at Amazon. I guess no matter how much Cerny pleads next time, this is the last we'll see of the Knack Attack.

How much do you think it cost to make Knack 2 ? I'm willing to bet not a lot. If Cerny and the team want to make Knack 3, they will - hell, that's the reason we got 2.

P.S. it's sold out on Amazon.

Top Bottom