• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack confirmed Suckage. No redemption. Lord Karnage does not approve

Noi

It may include other elements, like really good combat, however: "A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms, over obstacles, or both to advance the game. "

OR

"a type of computer game that is played by moving a figure on the screen through a series of obstacles and problems"

Devil May Cry has some light platforming. I've never seen anyone ever describe those games as platformers.

Knack has some light platforming. The vast majority of the time you spend in the game is in combat.

They're just insecure that they made a poor decision by buying it.

Does this nonsense really have to be spouted on every single page?

semiconscious

Gold Member
Is it me or are his reviews getting rather lazy?

i'm going with 'rushed'. neither the killzone review, or the knack review, sounded a whole lot like the mark i'm used to. short on wit, & weirdly uninspired & repetitive. though, from what he shows of knack, not completely off-target...

zeopower6

Does this nonsense really have to be spouted on every single page?

That's essentially how every Knack thread has gone other than the OT. :(

And they 'got away' with it because they asked Cerny to make a game even though he wasn't really too keen on it at first.

TheTwelve

I finished Knack a few days ago, and there's way, way more combat than there is platforming.

I agree.

Trying to assemble a reply to all of the platforming comments at once including this one:

Someone mentioned Devil May Cry as having some platforming. This is true, yet that is the far end of the spectrum. Devil May Cry is like 10% platforming, 90% fighting.

God of War? I'd say same percentage.

I'm going to say 40% of Knack is platforming. At least.

I also say this because there are certain enemies that require a timed jump and an attack, reminiscent of the "combat" in Sonic the Hedgehog. He even barrels into opponents from the air like Sonic in a spin as a very effective form of attack.

Look, anybody who tries out Knack knows where to find me. I'm TheTwelve here, Twitter and PSN. If the game sucks, feel free to curse me out through any of those mediums. But I love the game and when people step on something you love, after awhile you're like "that ain't right".

I've a huge gaming budget and I buy games at full price on purpose to support the industry and I ignore reviews. I feel foolish for this when it comes to games like Beyond Two Souls...I truly regret that purchase and truly feel as if I wasted my hard earned money.

Knack? Worth every penny. But I don't blame anybody for waiting for the game to drop in price or eventually wait until it's free on PS+.

Still, if anybody gets it based on what I'm saying here and I'm dead wrong, you know where to hit me up.

I'll leave this thread alone.

jett

D-Member
Some people are really getting the completely wrong idea about Mark. He's undoubtedly a fantastic reviewer. Honest and down to Earth in that. So he didn't like this game, he's not alone in that. Only reason that thing has a defense force is due to its launch title nature.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It has 55 on Metacritic so it's really just calling a spade a spade. This isn't me bashing a high profile release. 55 on Metacritic is pretty much confirmed garbage.

Metacritic Is Magic: it either doesn't matter at all or it's the word of god, depending on your trolling requirements.

You're basically claiming everyone who likes a particular thing is a liar or delusional. That's a pretty big fat accusation to level at dozens or hundreds of people, and one that really cannot be substantiated.

Hawk269

I have been enjoying the game. It is simple fun, but I had to put the game on it's highest difficulty setting to really enjoy it more. In the other difficulty settings, it was just a cake walk and was mindless button mashing. On the highest setting, you have to play a bit more tactical and it is a lot more fun for me. I don't agree with all the hate this game is getting. It is a cute plat form game and has some unique things to it that are enjoyable.

Noi

It has 55 on Metacritic so it's really just calling a spade a spade. This isn't me bashing a high profile release. 55 on Metacritic is pretty much confirmed garbage.

Metacritic is such a damn pox on the industry, Jesus.

It's nonsense because you're making sweeping generalizations about why people could possibly like the game. People could find co-oping the game to be fun. People could like the fact that Hard mode actually works as described and even has altered enemy attack rates and hazard movement to shake things up from it's Normal and Easy modes. There's completely valid reasons why one would like Knack; simplifying all of it as "they're just trying to justify their purchases" is just being incredibly condescending to people for the crime of liking a video game.

Even the people "defending" Knack here admit that it's a mixed bag, polarizing and not a perfect game. Not everyone is gonna like it. The vitriol in this thread towards people that dare happen to like some aspects of it is horrid. At least stick to criticizing the game, not the people making the arguments about it.

Only reason that thing has a defense force is due to its launch title nature.

Good grief.

jett

D-Member

It's nonsense because you're making sweeping generalizations about why people could possibly like the game. People could find co-oping the game to be fun. People could like the fact that Hard mode actually works as described and even has altered enemy attack rates and hazard movement to shake things up from it's Normal and Easy modes. There's completely valid reasons why one would like Knack; simplifying all of it as "they're just trying to justify their purchases" is just being incredibly condescending to people for the crime of liking a video game.

Even the people "defending" Knack here admit that it's a mixed bag, polarizing and not a perfect game. Not everyone is gonna like it. The vitriol in this thread towards people that dare happen to like some aspects of it is horrid.

Good grief.

Sorry that I caused to Charlie Brown yourself but it's so fucking true what I said. Launch titles, exclusive launch titles, are always looked with distinctive rose-tinted glasses. In the case of the PS4, with only two exclusive retail tiles, neither spectacular, god knows, it's worse. People outright dismissing the years Mark has been doing Classic Game Room is just sad, solely because he didn't like Knack.

Some people are mad passionate about Knack

Some people can't accept the fact that it's okay to admit that a game is bad but that you like it anyway.

There have been plenty of games I knew were not good games, but I still enjoyed them. Instead what we have a lot of here is people attempting to extract their subjective personal enjoyment of the game, and apply it to the broader more objective and diactic review process.

It's okay to love a bad game. Just accept that it's bad and except that despite that you enjoy it. Your personal enjoyment is all that is required, whether the game is critically good or not.

PaulloDEC

Sorry that I caused to Charlie Brown yourself but it's so fucking true what I said. Launch titles, exclusive launch titles, are always looked with distinctive rose-tinted glasses. In the case of the PS4, with only two exclusive retail tiles, neither spectacular, god knows, it's worse. People outright dismissing the years Mark has been doing Classic Game Room is just sad, solely because he didn't like Knack.

You can bang the launch-goggles drum all you like, but it won't make it any less stupid as an argument. Some players will give strength to it. Most won't.

I have four launch games for my PS4 - Knack, Killzone, Resogun and Contrast. Resogun is unquestionably awesome. Contrast is a neat idea hindered by frequently clunky gameplay. Killzone has a fun multiplayer component with a not-particularly-interesting campaign. Knack is a flawed yet enjoyable throwback to simpler action games.

Are these the impressions of someone blinded by a new console? The only game of the four I'd sincerely argue was excellent is Resogun, with the others all falling somewhere between "average" and "good".

Is it me or are his reviews getting rather lazy?

His reviews were always kinda lazy. I just figured that was the appeal. They're basically like lite/novel little quick-looks and sort of that everyman opinion.
At least that's how I always appreciated them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Played a bit of it today. This feels like a fucking movie-tie-in game. It's like their goal was purely "We need an E-rated game for launch." They then asked "What do kids like?", picked up a copy of Monsters vs. Aliens, and that was about the extent of their ambition.

What is the appeal of this game exactly? The platforming sure as hell can't be it. The combat is boring and repetitive, with dogshit scenario design, so that can't be it. And it can't be the look because the character designs and art style are dull as fuck.

UNCMark

Banned
Played a bit of it today. This feels like a fucking movie-tie-in game. It's like their goal was purely "We need an E-rated game for launch." They then asked "What do kids like?", picked up a copy of Monsters vs. Aliens, and that was about the extent of their ambition.

What is the appeal of this game exactly?

50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

Even the people "defending" Knack here admit that it's a mixed bag, polarizing and not a perfect game. Not everyone is gonna like it. The vitriol in this thread towards people that dare happen to like some aspects of it is horrid. At least stick to criticizing the game, not the people making the arguments about it.

Good grief.
How sweeping of a generalization does it need to be? When shitty reviews are getting passed out for a launch game on a sold out system with fuck-all for exclusives, who do we trust more? The people who are literally forced to play the game as partof their job, or the people who just dropped $400 for a launch system with fuck-all for exclusives?

How sweeping of a generalization does it need to be? When shitty reviews are getting passed out for a launch game on a sold out system with fuck-all for exclusives, who do we trust more? The people who are literally forced to play the game as partof their job, or the people who just dropped $400 for a launch system with fuck-all for exclusives?

Who do we trust - Polygon or random internet user?

zroid

Banned
Not necessarily saying this is how it is for everyone, but I've fallen victim to justifying my purchase syndrome many times in the past, so I know the feeling.

At the same time, I think there is some merit in "trying too hard" to like something, as sometimes it can be genuinely possible to "find the fun" after putting more effort in than is normal. Nothing wrong with that either, if you manage to enjoy something which at the surface seems horrible, more power to you. You're one of the lucky ones.

Personally speaking, I have played the demo, and watched an hour or so of gameplay, and I doubt I'll be giving the game the same chance. Found it very boring.

Top Bottom