• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Kurod

Banned
I just ended a session at chapter 4 on hard mode and so far I'm loving this game. I really can't see how this game could be considered a three or four out of ten. I'm actually enjoying Knack more than Killzone or Resogun.

graywolf323

Ive played a lot of platform brawlers over the past gen (they seemed to take over for collectathons as the mid-tier output in the genre) so the main levels still dont look interesting to me, but the boss fights I saw looked extremely fun.

yeah after that boss fight though I needed a break, the game is definitely fun and challenging even on easy though the first big boss felt a big cheap at times

too bad the game doesn't have online co-op, I'd love to tackle it with some of you all from GAF

SSM25

Just got the game, so far its been great! I just don't understand what reviewers were expecting this to be. Well too early to give a definite opinion but I like it so far.

Edit: I'm also enjoing this more than KZ and Resogun... And CoD and Battlefield...

padlock

The more I play, the less I understand how this game reviewed so poorly. It's really fun.

I think I'm going to make note of those reviewers who gave Knack a positive review, because, at least in this case, their taste seems to match mine.

krae_man

I need some more PS4 friends playing this to help with the collectable finding.

I wonder why the goblins are leaving Doc alone. He's literally 10 steps behind Knack just off camera and none of them every try to hurt him:lol

Hyunashi

I decided I am going to get the game after watching some streams. It looks and seems to play very nicely. I am personally more interested in this than in what I have seen in Killzone.

I really dont know why it has been reviewed poorly.

sqwarlock

I just got back from Target to take advantage of the B2G1, and I think I made a mistake in getting Madden instead of Knack along with Ass Creed and NBA 2k14. Good thing I haven't opened it yet. Maybe I'll return it tomorrow.

Hyunashi

Only one thing is weird for me and that is Knacks actual voice. But I guess it is different from the norm or what people would expect. Overall I cant wait to get my hands on this.

bumpkin

I cracked this puppy open tonight and I have to agree with other posters; the game is fun and Knack indeed has mad swagger. Reviewers are full of shit, confirmed.

On a side note, has anyone figured out how to send items to the game from Knack's Quest on iOS?

Also what's the trick to co-op using a Vita? I can't find an option anywhere.

heard alot of people saying that today while watching different streams.

definitely. because different enemies have different attack pattern. and even if you know it is different once you have more than 1 enemy on screen. you have to dodge the other while attack because they tend to attack at close range. so you have to dodge after attacking. and even if they stop attacking and you try to attack they will dodge back and attack fast. you sometime have to be quick about it as well. also those one two hit death is brutal. so don't die lol. also don't try too much to jump and hit. lol. that might not get you too far.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I haven't played much of Knack yet, but yeah I definitely can't see why reviewers gave it really low scores. Based on my limited experience, this game is probably a high 7, low 8 so far. It would have to take a pretty steep fall in quality in order to justify some of the review scores I've seen - if it remains the same throughout though, then this will definitely be a solid game.

It would also be hilarious (hilarious because of the bad reviews this game got) if this game were to be extremely popular, and a sleeper hit. Only time will tell on that, but this really seems like an old school Playstation platformer, which is awesome!

Macheezmo

On Chapter 3-1 so far. Loving this game. I'm only playing on normal and it's still pretty brutal. Definitely an old school vibe coming from this game and I'm hoping to see it be a continuing franchise. If anyone wants to add me for some collectible goodness, feel free: Blast_Hardcheese

Yuterald

Knack on hard is kiddie Dark Souls. Insanely difficult.

Ugh...with the "(Insert game) is the Dark Souls of said genre" stuff. I started on Hard and it's not THAT ridiculous. Checkpoints are fairly forgiving from what I've seen too. No starting back at the beginning of the stage or anything like that. That would have made the game pretty hard, actually.

Knack really is Crash Bandicoot in disguise. While much slower paced and a bit more open in its stage design, most of the time this game is channeling Crash Bandicoot philosophies and ideas, hardcore. I don't know about anyone else, but there's something about the enemy types and their placements throughout the stages that is screaming Crash Bandicoot to me. The stationary, long ranged enemies that throw nonsense at you from afar is like pure Crash DNA. The linear level design and a lot of the camera angles/perspectives are very clearly inspired by the older games too. Even those brief silent death moments are reminiscent of how it feels when you get killed by something in a Crash Bandicoot game.

I'm so glad this game exists. I was so skeptical of it (being an old school Sony "mascot" game fan) when I first saw it, but now that I've got my hands on it I'm pretty impressed. I really hope we see more games like this on PS4 in the future.

jett

D-Member
Watching a stream, the immediately disappearing debris and enemies is really off-putting. What is this game using the 8GB for?

It looks nice enough, some of these rooms seem like combat puzzles to solve, figuring out the correct strategy to get through it. I don't really get the overly negative reviews. The cut-scenes are pretty cute. Are they real-time or FMV?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just ended a session at chapter 4 on hard mode and so far I'm loving this game. I really can't see how this game could be considered a three or four out of ten. I'm actually enjoying Knack more than Killzone or Resogun.

Right here with you.

Some of the reviews are absolute bullshit. The complaints that Knack's offense is limited to just 2 or 3 moves is such a lie, that it's amazing what writers can get away with these days. The game is an absolute blast. It's wonderful to look at, mechanically simple, yet downright engaging. The enemy AI is decent and really make the game feel old-school.

The charm and character compliment the overall gameplay a lot. I am just extremely disappointed in the gaming press for punishing a game with a very clear and concise objective that gets its point across and does so without bombarding the game with endless features and cumbersome executions.

If I were still writing, I'd definitely be inclined to give this game a score north of an 8/10. It doesn't deserve anything less.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
i will only play this game hard.

Amen, I want my first playthrough to be as meaty as possible. Story and presentation looks good too from the streams, so having cutscenes as a minor reward for progress isn't entirely outside the realm of sanity.

Time to stop watching streams, since my PS4 isn't getting here until Monday :(

taoofjord

Played to 2-1. It's definitely not a great game but I'm still having fun with it. I was surprised that it feels pretty good to move around and punch things in this. Good thing they got that right since that's pretty much the whole game. :)

Played to 2-1. It's definitely not a great game but I'm still having fun with it. I was surprised that it feels pretty good to move around and punch things in this. Good thing they got that right since that's pretty much the whole game. :)

Turns into a bit more a little later. :D

Darksol

Broadcasting Knack

Let me know if it's laggy? Trying to find a good setting for it...

Edit: Thanks for the advice fellow GAFers. Not on Wi-Fi. Guess I just have a shitty upload speed.

JoeFenix

Good to see people turning around on this game, it's the right kind of simple. It totally gives off those oldschool vibes, it just feels like a Playstation game.

earlier levels are really still tutorial. gotta get out of that

I-hate-u

I am watching a playthrough of the game and I love how the double jump sound is straight from Crash. The game looks charming and really fun. I haven't played it yet so I can't fully judge, but no way this game is 4/10.

Knack is pretty endearing. I find the visuals are Pixar like and charming, all around. It's fun and reminds me of the old school Crash Bandicoot titles. Knacks character design even resembles Crash, in a way.

The game is a pretty great and it's up there, right behind Killzone as my favorite 2 games. I bought six:

Cod, AssCreed, BF4, NFS:Rivals, KZSF and Knack.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just loaded it up and there is no speech or menu sound effects happening. Anyone encounter this problem?

Alchemy

Just finished about three hours of co-op with my wife, I'm convinced that everyone who reviewed this is a complete fucking idiot. This game is great.

Up to 8-1 on normal and loving the game so far... i really have no clue how this reviewed so poorly

Giant knack is so much fun to play. Running around throwing tanks at other tanks and through buildings and shit

PaulloDEC

Just finished about three hours of co-op with my wife, I'm convinced that everyone who reviewed this is a complete fucking idiot. This game is great.

I feel like a lot of reviewers are getting caught up in the idea of a "next-gen feel". A game might be good, but if it doesn't "feel like next-gen" then they come away with a poor impression of it.

As a PC gamer first, the whole idea has never made sense to me. Games get better incrementally in my experience, so expecting any kind of sudden leap just because you've switched to better tech seems pretty silly.

Raoh

This.

It's not the most amazing game.
It's not the best looking.
It's not even that hard on hard mode.

But it's the most fun I'm having with my PS4,or with any game in a while.

If Sony would be willing, not only is Knack sequel worthy, I'm enjoying the characters so much that I think it has TV Show/Webisode potential.

Potential mascot.

Again not the greatest game just a really fun one. Deserves better scores and reviews. Might have to blacklist those who reviewed it poorly, they just don't like having fun.

Bebpo

Banned
Game's pretty good so far. It's nothing mindblowing, but it nails the foundations of defensive combat where you learn enemy patterns and use skill to avoid them. Plus the punching is pretty satisfying.

This is a good foundation for a sequel. It'd be nice if the game sells enough that they make another.

And yeah, to add into the choir, it's a lot better than Killzone early on in both!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I haven't played much of Knack yet, but yeah I definitely can't see why reviewers gave it really low scores. Based on my limited experience, this game is probably a high 7, low 8 so far. It would have to take a pretty steep fall in quality in order to justify some of the review scores I've seen - if it remains the same throughout though, then this will definitely be a solid game.

It would also be hilarious (hilarious because of the bad reviews this game got) if this game were to be extremely popular, and a sleeper hit. Only time will tell on that, but this really seems like an old school Playstation platformer, which is awesome!

I'm on chapter 7 now and I think the bolded is exactly why reviewers knocked the game. So far, from chapter 1 to chapter 7, it's all been pretty much the same thing, kill bad guys, advance further, rinse repeat.

I'm disappointed that there aren't many puzzles(and the few that are in the game can be solved by a 2 year old). This game is pretty much screaming for puzzles.

The graphics, though, are amazing, feels like I'm playing a Pixar movie. And the music has been a pleasant surprise.

Cheech

Against my best judgment I opened this today.

My 9 year old and his buddies absolutely loved it, and I had a good deal of fun playing with them.

Not a $60 game though. Should have been $30 at best.

For a launch platformer geared to kids and Mario vets, you could do worse.

D23

Ok so I picked up killzone. Ac4 and knack. And of all the three games.. I put a lot of time on knack. This game is fun. Wtf don't listen to the review

Ummmm...After playing up to 3-1 on Hard, I think I really like this game.

-I didn't know this would basically be Souls-lite. Same brutally punishing pattern-recognition combat with linear gameplay instead of an open world.

-Quick resets after death

-All non-interactive sequences instantly skippable with no load times. No forced walk sections either. Finally someone follows RE4's example.

-Graphics look very good to me. Framerate isn't quite where I'd want it but it's still very playable.

So far the game is something like an 8/10 for me. I think hard difficulty is absolutely essential to getting enjoyment out of it. It's neat that all the skippable stuff can give you a 100% pure gameplay experience.

Top Bottom