• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo expects record profits next year, weighs in on sales, teases future, more

jonno394

I'd totally be OK with Hyrule Warriors complete, as missed a load of new content with Legends.
They would probably announce it only a few months before its release though, I hope FE Warriors will be successful as well.

If it happens in this FY then i think we'll get it Feb-match 18, to give fire emblem warriors a few months to sell. No point releasing both within 2/3 months, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

DMONKUMA

Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden on the Wii U, yet it still ended up on the 360 and PS3. We don't know the extent of the deal, but I doubt Koei wrote themselves into a corner so they couldn't port the game to another platform later.

But didn't it originally came out on those two systems first then came to the Wii U a year later?

Edit: Actually nvm they've done this with Microsoft before for Ninja Gaiden. Carry on.

TreIII

It's a number of things, I think. The main things are a lot of big titles like Dragon's Dogma, SFxT, RE6, DmC, Lost Planet 3 all failed on various levels in a very short time frame, coupled with a lack of mobile successes and diminishing returns in the arcade/amusements business (Capcom-owned arcades, pachislots). Capcom spent most of what MH4 made on expanding the mobile divisions, which so far hasn't resulted in much. Adding to that, lots of smaller franchises like Sengoku Basara and Ace Attorney have been doing worse on average. Then there's whatever is up with Panta Rhei and Deep Down. All of that I think has done a number on Capcom.

Yeah, and as we've talked before...one of Capcom's biggest problems is that they don't have a reliable go-to brand that can they can have a team work on and generate sequels on a yearly/semi-yearly basis. Much less a good "kid/casual-friendly" brand. Koei doesn't have that issue, since they have a Musou game for whatever may pique your interest or fandom.

In the past, that kind of job was all Rockman/Mega Man's territory. But after Capcom benched him, they've struggled (and largely failed) to have a decent replacement for him. Monster Hunter Stories being the latest victim of such. I still remain firm in the notion that until Capcom does get such a brand back in their stable (be it Mega Man or something else), they won't ever have the kind of gains they enjoyed in the early-mid 00's. Which coincidentally, was when MMBN/Rockman.EXE was their license to print money and gave them plenty of funding for bigger things like Onimusha and RE.

Nioh did really well for them and the dlc support keeps coming.

a clear winner for players and the company. i think it is their best selling game in the west going by their last stream.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nioh baby! Just keep the good stuff coming and I'll shell out the cash for it.
This game is the business.

Dantis

I feel like those Blue Reflection sales are fine for what it is? It was never going to sell boatloads, it's like the nerdiest of the nerdy.

That is great for Koei-Tecmo. I have always loved the games they have put out. Nioh being the big push this year has helped them and in particular Team Ninja quite a lot.

Yeah, and as we've talked before...one of Capcom's biggest problems is that they don't have a reliable go-to brand that can they can have a team work on and generate sequels on a yearly/semi-yearly basis. Much less a good "kid/casual-friendly" brand. Koei doesn't have that issue, since they have a Musou game for whatever may pique your interest or fandom.

In the past, that kind of job was all Rockman/Mega Man's territory. But after Capcom benched him, they've struggled (and largely failed) to have a decent replacement for him. Monster Hunter Stories being the latest victim of such. I still remain firm in the notion that until Capcom does get such a brand back in their stable (be it Mega Man or something else), they won't ever have the kind of gains they enjoyed in the early-mid 00's. Which coincidentally, was when MMBN/Rockman.EXE was their license to print money and gave them plenty of funding for bigger things like Onimusha and RE.

It's so weird to see this, even though I think you're right, because I feel like this is exactly what Monster Hunter was a few years ago. It was so massive that it was an early kingmaker for the 3DS over the Vita, reliably topped the Japanese sales charts, and appealed to a wide swath of the Japanese population. Kids played it. Adults played it. It was a genuine phenomenon. What happened? Is it just that Capcom never quite figured out how to translate that success to the west?

Oregano

It's so weird to see this, even though I think you're right, because I feel like this is exactly what Monster Hunter was a few years ago. It was so massive that it was an early kingmaker for the 3DS over the Vita, reliably topped the Japanese sales charts, and appealed to a wide swath of the Japanese population. Kids played it. Adults played it. It was a genuine phenomenon. What happened? Is it just that Capcom never quite figured out how to translate that success to the west?

No, they handled the core Monster Hunter releases quite well. They've shifted over 15 million units between the five releases on 3DS. The real issue is that each release past MH4 has had less appeal than the last.

ZangBa

I'm dying for some DW9 news. And there better be a dub, Koei. I don't like reading text while battling.

EDarkness

No, they handled the core Monster Hunter releases quite well. They've shifted over 15 million units between the five releases on 3DS. The real issue is that each release past MH4 has had less appeal than the last.

I think they pushed them out too fast and there's a bit of burnout going on there. This is why it's good to have a nice and diverse portfolio so games can come out every couple of years without killing the company. I feel like Capcom used to have that.

DW9, I need to know more, please KT.

I feel that for the moment Team Ninja should double down on Nioh to ride the positive reception and establish the series, then aim for both a new DoA and NG early in the next-gen.

For DoA, I imagine they'd be looking at a similar long-tail support as DoA 5 through to Last Round and that would mean getting stuck with another cross-gen base game again if they release it before the end of the current gen. So maybe 6 months or so into the new gen release DoA6/ Core Fighters, then a year or so after launch a new NG subs in for Nioh which can go on (small) hiatus after Nioh 2 + post-launch DLCs closed out the current gen, so people aren't too burnt out on Nioh and are ready for a newly revitalised Team Ninja to take on NG again.

Vanille

Musou All-Stars (Koei character Dynasty Warriors like game, 130K) and Blue Reflection (Gust New IP, 80K) were below expectations.

Maybe you shouldn't have released them on the same fucking day.

I'm guessing the Fatal Frame series is dead for a while. I imagine that FFV sold like garbage. Really glad for their success with Nioh though. PS4 has been a great environment for AAA Japanese games this generation.

I think the drastic change-up of the DW formula is coming just in time for DW9. I've been playing these games since DW2 and DW8 was the first main series title I skipped because I was just getting so burned out on them.

Gust still strikes me as an weird buy for KT. I guess they picked them up to fill a gap in their output. Interesting and surprisingly consistent studio quality-wise though.

Oregano

I'm guessing the Fatal Frame series is dead for a while. I imagine that FFV sold like garbage. Really glad for their success with Nioh though. PS4 has been a great environment for AAA Japanese games this generation.

I think the drastic change-up of the DW formula is coming just in time for DW9. I've been playing these games since DW2 and DW8 was the first main series title I skipped because I was just getting so burned out on them.

Gust still strikes me as an weird buy for KT. I guess they picked them up to fill a gap in their output. Interesting and surprisingly consistent studio quality-wise though.

If they're working on Switch exclusives odds are one of them is a Fatal Frame game.

If they're working on Switch exclusives odds are one of them is a Fatal Frame game.

I agree with you. Even if it is a "Remastered" Wii U game.

I also wonder if Toukiden could end up on Switch. I know traditionally a Sony game. But, it seems they want to turn this into a franchise. Switch would be a good opportunity to try to grow the franchise.

Also, I wonder about a new Tecmo Bowl. With the throwbacks to SNES/N64 era, Tecmo Bowl could fit in nicely.

Oregano

I also wonder if Toukiden could end up on Switch. I know traditionally a Sony game. But, it seems they want to turn this into a franchise. Switch would be a good opportunity to try to grow the franchise.

Also, I wonder about a new Tecmo Bowl. With the throwbacks to SNES/N64 era, Tecmo Bowl could fit in nicely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toukiden is done. The second game bombed in every market by the looks of it.

gtj1092

Interesting. Reading media create threads one would think they are a dumpster fire of a company.

Can't wait for DW9.

DrDogg

Gonna guess and say Arcade next year and consoles in 2019. If not then then 2019 and 2020.

Considering DOA hasn't had a significant arcade presence since DOA2, I doubt that.

If we get an announcement of DOA6 at E3, I wouldn't be surprised to see it release on consoles before April 2018.

I doubt DLC will transfer at all, but if people are buying DLC for a 5 year old game, can they really complain when a sequel is finally released?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Well they all apart from XX managed to reach 4.1 million shipped worldwide so I would say that was actually true. The difference is it's had waning interest in Japan and growth in the west. The issue is they're at a crosroads now the 3DS is near the end id it's life and it's active userbase is moving. Mainting that consistent year 4.1 million shipped will be an issue/almost impossible and growth will be even more difficult.

They seem set for a franchise contraction outside of a relative fluke major breakout in the west.

Would be great, but I can't hold my breath. The last one barely even made it to NA.

Toukiden's best bet is to probably stay away from Nintendo platforms. It's already Poor Man's Monster Hunter for Playstation. Putting it up against Actual Monster Hunter would be straight franchise suicide.

BuggyMike

I'd love a Fatal Frame on Switch, even if it's a remaster of the last one (missed out on it). Need some horror games on my Switch ASAP. Good for Koe though.

Would be great, but I can't hold my breath. The last one barely even made it to NA.

Toukiden's best bet is to probably stay away from Nintendo platforms. It's already Poor Man's Monster Hunter for Playstation. Putting it up against Actual Monster Hunter would be straight franchise suicide.

That's why I think it should go to Switch actually. Games like FF explorers and other hunting games could find an audience do to MH popularity.

MUST...NOT...PORTBEG

I am glad Nioh did really well. Team Ninja really earned that W.

Shame Musou All Stars underperformed.

Hopefully the Switch replaces the Vita for all of their handheld efforts.

Considering DOA hasn't had a significant arcade presence since DOA2, I doubt that.

If we get an announcement of DOA6 at E3, I wouldn't be surprised to see it release on consoles before April 2018.

I doubt DLC will transfer at all, but if people are buying DLC for a 5 year old game, can they really complain when a sequel is finally released?

Oh right DoA 5 Arcade came later, I keep forgetting about that.

I don't think people will be too miffed about DLC.

Top Bottom