• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi (Castlevania) Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC talk

V_Ben

Banned
You know what? It makes sense that Konami PR wasn't allowing people to do GDC interviews with him now. Because they had no control over him doing interviews, or even doing this talk in all likelihood.

LTWood12

Castlevania is based on a lot of stuff that's public domain. So I'm not sure what would keep him from making a game about dracula in the vain (pun intended) of Castlevania. Obviously couldn't use specific lore like 'Belmont' & 'Alucard,' but the main themes could be intact.

Davey Cakes

Awesome.

Now do a 3DS Metroidvania game. I will support it if it's like Mighty No.9 is to Megaman.

I'm not asking for a rehash. I just like Iga's Castlevania games, and Order of Ecclesia was already pushing the series into a slightly new direction. A project that mixes old and new would be great.

Hiltz

It's about time Igarashi made a move. I'm not sad to see him leave because Konami obviously wasn't letting him do what he wants, but at the same time, Konami's concerned about the niche status of the 2D Castlevania series. They tried taking risks by westernizing Casltevania in 2D and 3D, but it has resulted in mediocrity. The series future doesn't look good. I hope Igarashi makes us a Castlevania-like game within the next 2 years.

Konami's "Franchises to Kill" List:

C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶a̶
S̶i̶l̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶
C̶a̶s̶t̶l̶e̶v̶a̶n̶i̶a̶
Metal Gear

You forgot

Rocket Knight / Sparkster
Goemon
Boktai / Lunar Knights
Gradius
Salamander
Twinbee
Suikoden
Vandal Hearts
Zone of the Enders

Raide

I would love to see him try his hand at making a fresh Castlevania type game with awesome 2D art in it. Something like the UbiArt engine would be perfect!

Fucking great news. Konami are a disaster.

Really excited for the inevitable spiritual successor. Hope he takes Masaki Hirooka (Order of Ecclesia artist) with him.

Iga is back!

8ieEaBo.gif

gdt

When does Kojima leave, guys? I'm guessing after MGSV.

Kojima is a punk. Wont shut the fuck up about doing something non MG....literally only does MG over and over and over.

I'm glad IGA is gone. Get that KS money for a Metroid....vania. I'll buy it on PC so fucking fast.

emb

On the negative side, they'll have to make all new art for it. But on the plus side, their budget should be higher now.
He's doing a metroidvania talk at gdc, no?
True, they'll have to do new art. But on the plus side, they'll have to do new art.

I can't be the only one that got a little worn out from reused assets (esp. enemies) by the time I finished the handheld Metroidvania CVs.

Dascu

Castlevania franchise been dead for a few years now. Mercury's games have been meh (LoS1) to straight trash (LOZ2/MoF).

And LoS2 bombed apparently. I don't see Konami going back to the franchise unless the next-gen entry is already too far underway to be cancelled or retooled into something else.

When does Kojima leave, guys? I'm guessing after MGSV.

why would Kojima leave? He has his own studio, and despite what he constantly says about moving on, all he seemingly wants to do is make MGS games so he's pretty much set.

To be honest, I'm interested in what Iga is putting down if he does a kickstarter (so long as it's for consoles and not mobile). I just wanted Konami to move on with the Castlevania IP but if he does something on his own I'll check it out.

LeleSocho

Banned
Charm of the Igavanias were also the settings... i hope the new game hasn't a sci fi setting or something too distant from the Castlevania franchise.

Kojima is a punk. Wont shut the fuck up about doing something non MG....literally only does MG over and over and over.

I was really really hoping SDATCHER would become something more than a radio drama...

The entire Bemani brand

Playing Beatmania IIDX Empress + Premium Best with tears in my eyes all the time.
SPADA might be one of the best arcade releases in years, and I'll NEVER get to play it.
Their complete abandonment of CS bemani games is tragic.

Time to retire my suitably reused "trapped in the inverted Konami HQ" joke.
Iga found those five relics and made his escape, good for him.

Good, Konami have almost entirely turned to shit this last generation. It sounds like he's going to work on a Metroidvania style game, and if he takes to Kickstarter I'll definitely support it. I hope for a Vita/PS4 release.

Charm of the Igavanias were also the settings... i hope the new game hasn't a sci fi setting or something too distant from the Castlevania franchise.

We have no idea what he has planned. It may not resemble anything we've seen from him before. Personally I hope he has some new ideas up his sleeves.

Kurt

Rip Castlevania :(

Having him working on a new Castlevania game without having good castlevania music in it, would never be the same. The music ment about 60% of whole the game for me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Well, if he's talking about something that fans of his past games want, he probably means something with a gothic setting. And in a way, this is kind of nice. Iga can still make something Castlevania-esque, but he's not saddled with the baggage of a nearly 30-year-old franchise. He can rethink this shit.

And for God's fucking sake, he can make new sprites.

Xav

Upon reading this I was PISSED but he's probably better off without Konami anyway.

*Adds Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1/2 to the list of games that killed some of my favourite franchises.*

Kojima would never leave, he got his own studio and he can churning out MGS sequels and spin-offs at his own pace to his hearts content

Ishida

Banned
Soooo after MGS2?

This is good news. I mean, not for Konami.

Oh man what if Nintendo hires Iga to make the next Metroid. FULL CIRCLE

Kojima works on Metal Gear games because he wants to. Konami cannot force him to work in more Metal Gear games, and if they do he can just quit the company. But he won't. He doesn't seem to want to leave Konami despite being "oh-so-forced" to work on Metal Gear only.

If Kojima truly, TRULY wanted the series to keep going without him, he would threat Konami or leave Konami altogether. Many publishers would pay millions to have Kojima in their ranks, and even if they didn't he could fund his own studio outside of Konami.

Whenever Kojima says he wants to "abandon Metal Gear", I don't believe him.

I'm guessing he'll go a completely different way as far as story and characters go, because it might be a hassle with konami otherwise, but theoretically, what could he reuse?

Dracula, Alucard and Death would be fine obviously. What about Death being subserviant to Dracula? That was alway a weird thing that was obviously fairly unique to 'vania.
Belmonts are out, but van helsing or a generic vampire hunter should be fine. Can we have the protagonist use a whip though?

Again, I don't think he'll use anything storybased from 'vania except the gothic setting, but I would be interested in how much he could potentially use.

Holykael1

Banned
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
And NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! because it will have to be a different IP and not Castlevania, that saddens me but oh well.. I'll take what I can get.

I just wish it will be something with an incredible atmosphere, soundtrack and feel like Castlevania.

Retro

Surprised at the response in this thread.

People are aware IGA was brought in fairly late as a programmer on Symphony of the Night and was bumped up to Assistant Producer when it was practically done, right? His contribution to the game was minimal at best.

He's basically been riding on that game's popularity by repeatedly creating sloppier and sloppier clones of it on handhelds while flailing desperately at transitioning the series to 3-D (which the N64 games, of which he had no involvement, did better). The guy was more than happy to take full credit for turning a horror-themed tough-as-nails platformer franchise into a series of increasingly bland anime adventure games.

Don't get me wrong, Konami is a shithole, but expecting Igarashi's work to suddenly get good now? Not gonna happen. Expect the worst of the SotN Clones with none of the Castlevania charm.

Top Bottom