• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: MGS Peace Walker is indeed MGS5

if it was on a platform that could support controlling this game, I'd be all like, "fuck yes" but instead I'm like "who gives a shit about MGS on PSP"

BocoDragon said:

I don't see how this is lol-worthy.
Same thing happened to GTA when they released 9000 portable versions of their console games.

And GTA had the benefit of following the best game in their series, MGS, not really. You won't get that universal love for Guns of the Patriots like you got for San Andreas.

d0c_zaius

Shanoa said:
Don't care because MGS is dead for me since Solid 4.

ooooook drama queen.

The opening of the demo was crazy cheesy but the character designs look awesome.

on another note, why do people post "HAY guys Im not buying this, just so you know".

Wasn't gonna buy this anyway. Haven't bought a PSP game since I bought my iPhone. Ditto for the DS.

Pretty sure Rising will be a far better game anyway.

Shanoa said:
Don't care because MGS is dead for me since Solid 4.
Thanks for posting something so worthwhile.

Anyway from what I heard this game follows the PO structure? Right? Like it has its mission style and you have to recruit other people? If that's true, then there's no way this could considered anything but PO 2

Dresden

I might buy a PSP for this. The game needs to be more like Snake Eater (subsistence camera) and less MGS4, though.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wasn't gonna buy this anyway. Haven't bought a PSP since I bought my iPhone. Ditto for the DS.

Pretty sure Rising will be a far better game anyway.

I'm going to make such an epic "I told you so" post on mobile phone intrusion into the handheld market someday.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Buckethead said:
I don't see how this is lol-worthy.
Same thing happened to GTA when they released 9000 portable versions of their console games.

And GTA had the benefit of following the best game in their series, MGS, not really. You won't get that universal love for Guns of the Patriots like you got for San Andreas.
So if a series starts making PSP installments they are on the road to irrelevancy? Gotcha.

Byakuya769 said:
I'm going to make such an epic "I told you so" post on mobile phone intrusion into the handheld market someday.

Forgot to say 'game'.

But yeah, basically packed away both my PSP and DS since the iPhone. Just no need. I actually own 4 DSs and 3 PSPs too.

Skipped the DSi again thanks to iPhone, but I might grab the DSi XL. I like the DSi Demo thing on Wii.

~Kinggi~

Banned
i don't game on handhelds. Sorry but this just seems like a dick move if it really is a worthy game in the series. If they manage to release some way i can play it through my ps3 or something ill get it. Im not buying a psp for this.

Funny, I remember Kojima himself saying that MGS4 was his last Metal Gear. Oh well, I'm sure MGS5 is his last Metal Gear... and Metal Gear 6 will be his last Metal Gear after that.

Edit... oh, I thought this thread was him putting the number #5 back on the game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
i don't game on handhelds. Sorry but this just seems like a dick move if it really is a worthy game in the series. If they manage to release some way i can play it through my ps3 or something ill get it. Im not buying a psp for this.

It's a dick move because it's on a platform you refuse to play?

Ok..

I'm on the fence about this. I want to play this, but I just couldn't get into portable ops. The controls killed it for me. I've tried to play the game at least 3 times and every time I try and get about an hour in and get sick of the shitty controls and then I quit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What the fuck is wrong with you people? The demo is fantastic and the game is going to be too. The coop is incredibly fun. Play handheld games and stop bitching.

BocoDragon said:
So if a series starts making PSP installments they are on the road to irrelevancy? Gotcha.

No sarcastic jack, it's a bad business model to size down your console offerings to PSP/DS/iPhone.

It's marching on the road to irrelevancy when you retcon major plot points and alienate a large section of your audience with crap writing
and instead of a "return to form" and ambitious next entry your next offerings are a PSP game claiming to be the spiritual sequel and then an entirely new franchise featuring Raiden.

mehdi_san

So many wrong things said in this thread, it's sad... Everyone at kojima production is working on this game (the team is maybe even bigger than the one for MGS4), and it was said it will have more content than MGS4. Even the script is longer than the one for MGS4 if I remember correctly what was said at TGS. Finally, Kojima said himself that working on a less powerful system allowed him to focus more on innovations and new gameplays so it should really be very fun to play (and the demo confirmed that).
Anyway, about the OP, the news is old, but the logo pictures are not. Thanks for posting them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Buckethead said:
No sarcastic jack, it's a bad business model to size down your console offerings to PSP/DS/iPhone.

It's marching on the road to irrelevancy when you retcon major plot points and alienate a large section of your audience with crap writing
and instead of a "return to form" and ambitious next entry your next offerings are a PSP game claiming to be the spiritual sequel and then an entirely new franchise featuring Raiden.
Yes, it's marching on the road to irrelevancy to make an awesome game.

zoukka

Buckethead said:
Love MGS but if you are going to put your 5th game as the (2nd) prequel in the series on a portable device, then seriously.... fuck you.

Well it can't be worse than 4.

neptunes

What more could Kojima add to the mythos that the fans don't already know?

I'm actually eager to play RISING more than PW, at least it's a fresh take on the series from a staff who worked on previous games.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I'm on the fence about this. I want to play this, but I just couldn't get into portable ops. The controls killed it for me. I've tried to play the game at least 3 times and every time I try and get about an hour in and get sick of the shitty controls and then I quit.

Same here.

The reason why people are posting just to say "I'm not getting it" is to express their disappointment. I have a PSP, have played every MGS, and I'll likely be skipping this one. Portable Ops sucked, and for me it sucked because of the limitations of the PSP platform. I simply don't like playing 3D games on the thing. ACID was a better game because it worked with the platform's limitations, but I hate card-based gameplay so I didn't really care for that either. If they had went with a 3D overhead perspective with 2D gameplay a la the old games, that would have been fine, but if they're going 3D gameplay then do it on a system that has the controls for it. I just can't stand using that damn nub for any length of time.

If they made Ghost Babel 2 for the DS or PSP I'd be FAR more interested in it because I think a game built around those mechanics would work far better on a portable platform.

duckroll

The controls in Portable Ops suck balls. I enjoyed the story in MPO, but the gameplay, controls, level design, bosses were all trash. But yet I've managed to get well over 10 hours of enjoyment out of the Peace Walker demo alone. It seriously sounds like people who didn't like MPO aren't even giving the demo a chance and instead ragging on the game as if somehow playing MPO is validation enough to not even bother trying the PW demo. If you played the demo and dislike the game, fine. If you want to keep saying "MPO sucked so I'm not interested in this" without having played the demo, then you can stfu.

duckroll said:
If you want to keep saying "MPO sucked so I'm not interested in this" without having played the demo, then you can stfu.

I guess that's a testament to how bad of a taste it left in some people's mouths.

I'll be honest, I haven't played the demo, but from screens it looks like you would have to use the nub to control it, and since that's my problem with PO (and many PSP games) I don't see what difference it would make.

I'd try the demo but it appears I'd have to screw around with updating the custom firmware to do it. Any way to make it work with 5.00 M33-6? If not it's too much trouble to go through just for a demo when I hardly play the system anymore (no troll, just being honest).

duckroll

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I guess that's a testament to how bad of a taste it left in some people's mouths.

I'll be honest, I haven't played the demo, but from screens it looks like you would have to use the nub to control it, and since that's my problem with PO (and many PSP games) I don't see what difference it would make.

I'd try the demo but it appears I'd have to screw around with updating the custom firmware to do it. Any way to make it work with 5.00 M33-6? If not it's too much trouble to go through just for a demo when I hardly play the system anymore (no troll, just being honest).

No, it is only a testament as to how people love to spew shit from their mouths without backing it up with any facts or strong opinions.

Furthermore by admitting that it is too much trouble to even give the demo a shot, you are admitting that while you do not care to try the game out at all, you seem to care enough to post in a thread about it expressing negativeness. That's no different from trolling any other game thread just because it is on a system you do not own.

I don't use custom firmware, and honestly I don't care about any of the people who do and have difficulty playing PSP games or demos. If you don't care enough to try it out, don't bother posting in any threads whining about games being on PSP. If you do, expect to get banned for a month or more.

Noshino

Bizzyb said:
They didn't want MGS5 to be associated with less than stellar sales figures.
When was the last time a PSP game sold excess of 1 million?

PlayStation Portable games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3 million shipped in Japan)
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2,725,507 approximately: 2 million in US, 125,507 in Japan, 600,000 in UK)
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2.59 million approximately; 830,000 in Japan, 710,000 in North America, 550,000 in Europe)
- Daxter (2.3 million)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (2.25 million)
- Gran Turismo (1.8 million)
- Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 (1.32 million approximately: 1.1 million in US, - 200,000 in UK, 27,151 in Japan)
- Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (1.3 million approximately: 1.1 million in US, 200,000 in UK)
- Monster Hunter Freedom (1.2 million)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (1.13 million approximately; 950,000 in US, 100,000 in UK, 80,420 in Japan)
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy (1.05 million approximately; 910,000 in Japan, 20,000 in the rest of Asia, 130,000 in US)
- Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1 million)
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)
- Wipeout Pure (1 million)
- God of War: Chains of Olympus (1 million)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable

:p

Yah, I don't find it unlikely for this game to hit one million

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys, I have decided that on outdated and ridiculous personal principles, I'm going to avoid specific platforms.

Now, watch as I hate developers who make games for that platform. I'm so controversial!

ultim8p00 said:
Kojima shut up please. Tired of this guy saying what his games are over and over like we give a shit.

We...do give a shit...why are you in this thread again? To tell us you don't give a shit?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pai Pai Master said:
Based on the demo alone, this game is so deserving on the MGS5 moniker. I have to admit, seeing that 5 on there looks pretty damn awesome.

I kinda wish they'd put it back on. I love the way it looks.

(and yes, the demo was fucking brilliant)

If it becomes the best PSP game of all-time, I don't mind if it's MGS5. DQIX is one of the best JRPGs of this gen so I don't see the big deal in a GOTY handheld game.

Dalthien

duckroll said:
If you want to keep saying "MPO sucked so I'm not interested in this" without having played the demo, then you can stfu.
Do you really believe that someone's level of interest isn't coloured by prior experiences? Or do you just want people to not talk about their interests being coloured by prior experiences?

That's one of the repercussions of releasing a shitty product. You said yourself that the gameplay, controls, level design, and bosses all sucked ass in Portable Ops. Companies have to be careful to maintain a certain level of quality in their top brands, or else they run the real risk that people will lose interest in future entries because of their horrible experience with the previous entry.

If others thought that Portable Ops was a waste of their time, then many people won't want to bother spending more of their time on a demo of the followup. They will turn their attention to other products that they still have an interest in.

I agree that entering a thread just for trolling should definitely be discouraged. But this thread does have MGS5 in the thread title, so I suspect many people came into the thread because they do have an interest in the followup to MGS4, but not in a followup to Portable Ops.

thetrin

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
If it becomes the best PSP game of all-time, I don't mind if it's MGS5. DQIX is one of the best JRPGs of this gen so I don't see the big deal in a GOTY handheld game.

The fact that there ever was an unwritten rule that handhelds cannot get GOTY is fucking stupid on principle alone.

Dalthien said:
Do you really believe that someone's level of interest isn't coloured by prior experiences? Or do you just want people to not talk about their interests being coloured by prior experiences?

That's one of the repercussions of releasing a shitty product. You said yourself that the gameplay, controls, level design, and bosses all sucked ass in Portable Ops. Companies have to be careful to maintain a certain level of quality in their top brands, or else they run the real risk that people will lose interest in future entries because of their horrible experience with the previous entry.

If others thought that Portable Ops was a waste of their time, then many people won't want to bother spending more of their time on a demo of the followup. They will turn their attention to other products that they still have an interest in.

I agree that entering a thread just for trolling should definitely be discouraged. But this thread does have MGS5 in the thread title, so I suspect many people came into the thread because they do have an interest in the followup to MGS4, but not in a followup to Portable Ops.

How is this a follow up to Portable Ops in any way? Because it shares the same platform? You don't think that's completely asinine? It doesn't even share the same control scheme!

Noshino

Pai Pai Master said:
Based on the demo alone, this game is so deserving on the MGS5 moniker. I have to admit, seeing that 5 on there looks pretty damn awesome.

Well, based on what Kojima has done in the past, he might put something in the game to piss off the haters, like the "blu-ray scene" from MGS4 :lol

NeoUltima said:
Whoa. Never underestimate GT...even with mediocre reviews.

Were people actually expecting it to bomb? :lol

Car aficionado + gamer = Gran Turismo

Hi there Che :p

Did Kojima ever say why he decided to make MGS5 on the PSP? I haven't followed this game very much because I don't own a PSP. Now I that I hear it was supposed to be the 5th entry in the MGS series makes me more curious.

Dalthien

thetrin said:
How is this a follow up to Portable Ops in any way? Because it shares the same platform? You don't think that's completely asinine?
Oh - I'm not trying to suggest that this is spiritual successor to Portable Ops or anything like that.

But for many people, I suspect that Portable Ops was considered a real Metal Gear Solid game on the PSP, and this is the next real Metal Gear Solid game on the PSP. It is awfully simplistic, but for those who felt burned by the previous MGS on the PSP, I could see them feeling disinterested in the next MGS on the same system.

thetrin said:
How is this a follow up to Portable Ops in any way? Because it shares the same platform? You don't think that's completely asinine?

He does have a point; it's the next Metal Gear game on PSP, after Portable Ops. Though what he's saying is exactly why I think it was stupid to remove the number. Call it MGS5, and it becomes the next game in the series after the massively-received MGS4. Take that 5 off and it's simply the follow-up to Portable Ops...which doesn't exactly have the same pull as the PS3-exclusive blockbuster.

For me at least, the "5" has an impact that's certainly lost without it...though the game is still gonna be just as good in the end regardless.

Marathonfool said:
Did Kojima ever say why he decided to make MGS5 on the PSP? I haven't followed this game very much because I don't own a PSP. Now I that I hear it was supposed to be the 5th entry in the MGS series makes me more curious.

If I had to guess, it's because Kojima has said in the past that he enjoys working "under limitations." Perhaps he felt he could be more motivated to make a better game by working on a more limited platform than PS3 or 360. And maybe he felt he'd die if he took on another huge HD MGS game.

thetrin

marathonfool said:

I haven't heard anything, but considering what the documentary of MGS4 showed (overworked, overstressed and overstretched dev team), I think perhaps he and his team wanted a change of pace, and to work on something smaller.

You see a lot of developers on both sides of the ocean doing that now, because it appeals to them. I commend that.

Pai Pai Master said:
He does have a point; it's the next Metal Gear game on PSP, after Portable Ops. Though what he's saying is exactly why I think it was stupid to remove the number. Call it MGS5, and it becomes the next game in the series after the massively-received MGS4. Take that 5 off and it's simply the follow-up to Portable Ops...which doesn't exactly have the same pull as the PS3-exclusive blockbuster.

For me at least, the "5" has an impact that's certainly lost without it...though the game is still gonna be just as good in the end regardless.

100% agree. They should have put the 5 in the title.

Byakuya769 said:
... but I don't give a fuck about Big Boss (fake edit - anymore, snake-eater is classic). His story has been told.

Totally agree.

I wish Kojima had the stones to say no to future MGS projects. We all know he doesn't, but I would like to see him work on another IP before he dies/retires.

Top Bottom