• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima will no longer be a Konami executive from April 1st + KojiPro is no more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kojiefsfq.jpg

Hahahaha

I really hope that Kojima has indeed severed ties with Konami. The man would finally be free to pursue ideas outside of Metal Gear, which is something he has had a desire to do for a very, very long time now. (And personally speaking, I'd love to see him do something else besides beat the Metal Gear horse, which has been dead, creatively speaking, for quite a while.) I'd love nothing more in life than to see Kojima work on an entirely fresh idea; his talents are too vast to be squandered on the same franchise forever.

My thoughts exactly. Kojima clearly has been wanting to stop making MGS games since 2 and it's clear that his heart isn't into it since they've been getting progressively worse since 2. Dude is one of the most creative men in the industry and it sucks that he's been forced to only work on Metal Gear. Hopefully now this will let him spread his wings. I also hope this doesn't mean he'll want to start working on smaller Mobile projects like so many other legendary directors have after they left big studios. And fuck Konami as well, their over dependence on him is finally starting to backfire.

ash_ag

I think if he doesnt join another big company (MS, Sony, Nintendo etc..) he will do a Inafune and start a small company and consult on a bunch of stuff while making passion projects.

Kojima, godfather of cinema-inspired gaming, long-time dreamer of Hollywood-esque productions would start a small company and pull an Inafune? I very much doubt that. He is one of the few Japanese creators to be vocal about the Japanese industry's need to catch up with today's standards, and it's very cynic to suggest he'll play no substantial role for the industry going forward (like Inafune).

I could see him follow a path similar to the other Capcom alumni though. Be it founding a new, independent studio like Platinum, or joining a big publisher, like Shinji Mikami.

oceanskie

Banned
Thought bubble: Did Kojima Production own the MGS IP prior to this turn of events? If so it could be that Konami has acquired the IP from Kojima and turned Kojima's studio into a contractor. This would also give Kojima the freedom to engage other publishers to make new IP or take over an existing one.

LiK

I think I get it.

Kojima is founding his own studio.

Like Mikami did.

For whatever reason(money).

If he's CEO of a new studio, it makes sense to scrub his name off of every konami product.

That would be my bet, called it etc etc

sure, MGS just won't be his baby anymore.

Shauni

Thought bubble: Did Kojima Production own the MGS IP prior to this turn of events? If so it could be that Konami has acquired the IP from Kojima and turned Kojima's studio into a contractor. This would also give Kojima the freedom to engage other publishers to make new IP or take over an existing one.

No, Konami has always owned the IP. Though I guess it's possible that Kojima owned part of it? This is doubtful, though.

GCX

I'm pretty sure Konami has always owned all of the MGS IP.

Soulflarz

Banned
Could it just be Kojima retiring after MGSV? Though, why then would they remove KojiPro, as it's a big brand?

The argument would be that theres no real point keeping a studio names after Hideo Kojima in its current state. Or perhaps that they're doing it out of respect.

Could have just been renamed?

Kojima, godfather of cinema-inspired gaming, long-time dreamer of Hollywood-esque productions would start a small company and pull an Inafune? I very much doubt that. He is one of the few Japanese creators to be vocal about the Japanese industry's need to catch up with today's standards, and it's very cynic to suggest he'll play no substantial role for the industry going forward (like Inafune).

I could see him follow a path similar to the other Capcom alumni though. Be it founding a new, independent studio like Platinum, or joining a big publisher, like Shinji Mikami.

He would be a perfect fit for Sony

Honestly, I could actually see Kojima himself requesting something like this as some max-level "incentive" to work on something besides MGS, assuming they really are still working with him. From the outside looking in, it seems like such an over-the-top thing for a company to do out of spite, and with how seriously Hideo seems to care about his art, I could see him rationalizing that he wouldn't be able to actually let go unless he were to remove his name from the series.

duckroll

That has been posted a million times by now. Can a mod please put it in the OP.

It's a non-statement which doesn't address any of the concerns or talking points of the thread. Obviously Konami is not going to stop making Metal Gear games, but it does not answer whether Kojima has left Konami, or what the status of Kojima Productions as a development studio is.

Downhill? Ever since LoS2 Konami is pretty much dead as a console dev aside from Metal Gear

What about Silent Hill though?
The new one looked totally promising what with Kojima and Guillermo DelToro both working on it.
With Kojima (not yet) gone I don't think that DelTorro has much interest in helping out anymore.

I just don't understand why they'd remove his credits. Even if he's left, he was still responsible for the creation of these games. It's like taking an authors name off a book they wrote.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Kojima Productions without Kojima would be odd

The argument would be that theres no real point keeping a studio names after Hideo Kojima in its current state. Or perhaps that they're doing it out of respect.

Could have just been renamed?

It could have been renamed, but the KojiPro name holds weight, if not as much in the US, in Japan for sure. People associate more quality with Kojima Productions as opposed to just a Konami game.

Curious.

Shauni

It's a non-statement which doesn't address any of the concerns or talking points of the thread. Obviously Konami is not going to stop making Metal Gear games, but it does not answer whether Kojima has left Konami, or what the status of Kojima Productions as a development studio is.

But it's in relation to the topic, though, and if people read the OP they'll be less likely to post that (I know that requires people to read the OP, which is its struggle). It's something that's been posted almost every other page, just feels like it needs to be addressed in the OP.

Macrotus

A few weeks back Takao posted news about key staff for the Love Plus and Tokimeki Memorial left Konami.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156101011&postcount=640

Worrying times if your a fan of Konami console games it seems. Just what is going on there?

Junk-Hunter Yoshida (Japanesee game/movie columnist) mentioned in his tweet that Konami had a huge layoff this month. He also mentions about Koji-Pro disbanding.
https://twitter.com/Yoshidamian/status/577761486358982656

JayEH

this isn't a joke. The new fiscal year starts on Konami on April 1. You people over analyze everything Kojima does. No one would go this far for a joke.

GlamFM

Banned
I just don't understand why they'd remove his credits. Even if he's left, he was still responsible for the creation of these games. It's like taking an authors name off a book they wrote.

Maybe he actually wanted the rights to his name back which prevents Konami from advertising with it.

Things can get weird when new contracts are made.

You'll all agree with Konami scrubbing his name off once it comes out that Kojima's fired for robbing an orphanage or punching a dolphin or something

I'm much more concerned about Silent Hill than MGS. I love MGS but it seems like the story is wrapping up. Sure they can do more but this will likely close the loop. Silent Hill is a franchise that I've been wanting to see return to form for some time now and I really hope the finished product doesn't suffer. /doomsdaycrier

valkyre

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but such news would be great as far as I am concerned.

I love Metal Gear and Kojima (hence my avatar) , but I can understand that Kojima has been trapped in a never ending cycle because of Konami. He is a man with great ideas and a genious gaming mind, but is always confined/destined/forced to work on a Metal Gear game.

Time to move on. MGSV should be his best MGS and also his last. The guy has so many ideas and he could create such amazing new games.

I might love MGS , but I honestly think that Kojima is wasting a lot of his talent by not being able to do something new and fresh.

So yeah, I hope this is true and that Kojima gains full independence!

What's Guillermo del Toro doing? He could be sipping on drinks in Maui for all we know.

I assume it's a role similar to Shimizu's on Project Scissors. He probably assists with designs and directing, maybe something like a creative producer.

However, I don't doubt that they're using his name for marketing purposes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom