• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro aiming at 60fps for next-gen versions of MGSV

Goon Boon

Banned
All those fucking imbeciles who say 30fps is more cinematic can go to hell, at least the people in charge know whats up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lots and lots of 60 fps titles this gen apparently.

Pistolero

I admit having been skeptical about the engine performance, but Kojima's team proved me wrong. It seems flexible (Current cross Next-Gen) and quite powerful.
I hope that Kojima's work , Capcom Pantha Rei solution and SE re-emergence with KH3 and FFXV is a step in the right direction for the japanse developers in general.

Izick

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for 60FPS to be the standard for next-gen, unfortunately. I think a lot of this comes from how many games in 2013-early 2014 are cross-gen actually.

I really hope I'm wrong on that though, because that'd be an amazing trend to see continue through the next-gen.

Ridley327

Fantastic news; it's been a shame that console hardware has held him back from hitting 60 twice now, so having MGS5 run at 60 on next gen is music to my ears.

MrDenny

Great news, definitely getting it on the ps4.
Any news on the timeframe of when this title is suppose to come out?
Also is ground zero a full separate title or is it not yet decided?

RyudBoy

Based on what we've seen from the X1 so far it wouldn't surprise me if they managed to get it running at 60fps. The system is more than capable. Either way, I'm getting this for PS4.

#EXCITE

antitrop

What was the standard FPS in the PS2/XB//GCN generation?

You have a few late-gen games that are low 20s, though, like Killzone and Shadow of the Colossus etc.

There were some nice 60fps games, though, like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. The Devil May Cry series also ran at 60fps on PS2, which is hugely impressive.

Izick

But

Kojima said:
"For this project we were using the PC to build the Fox Engine to create our game," Kojima explained in an interview at E3 today. "We're using the current-generation as a [guideline]. While we were developing on current-gen, next-gen came long. We're really trying to reach the peak of the current generation right now — 360, PS3 — and then see how much we can take it up for the next-generation."

"Once we start going into development for next-generation we're definitely looking for something better than [what] we have shown today," he said. Kojima added that the developer is aiming for a 60 frames per second refresh rate and a higher resolution for the game's Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4425442/next-gen-metal-gear-solid-5-smartphone-tablet-kojima

Defunkled

Wait, so they haven't started development on the next-gen versions of MGSV? Does this mean that we shouldn't expect the PS3/360 versions and PS4/XONE versions to ship at the same time?

ibnwevQe1dTMqg.jpg

This captures the feel of this news exactly. Like a wave of pleasure and relief coming over you

God, this game looks good. Jesus, I had forgotten what it's like to be excited — not just hopeful — for more than one a game at a time.

Izick

Wait, so they haven't started development on the next-gen versions of MGSV? Does this mean that we shouldn't expect the PS3/360 versions and PS4/XONE versions to ship at the same time?

Depends on when the game comes out, but I wouldn't be worried if it's a 2014 release. Kojima seems very proud on how flexible and easy-to-use the new engine is for creating projects on multiple platforms.

Izick

Er...but wasn't the point that, what was shown at E3 was running on PC. So while it was really impressive (and I'm sure the final release will be mind blowing) - it won't look 100% that good on 360/PS3...right?

Possibly, but the demos that have been shown have been built for a PC with the general guidelines of the PS3. It may not be 100%, but it should be pretty close. Batzi was arguing that whole time that the version we were seeing was the general PC as powerful as a PS3 version, not next-gen.

Either way, all signs point to the next-gen versions being even better looking, and in 60FPS/1080p of course.

Why are people so surprised? It's a cross-gen title so you can at least expect a higher-res and frame-rate.

People are surprised to hear that the trailer was created for a PC built with the PS3's specs in mind. It's impressive to see how amazing it looks on what's close to current-gen hardware.

Not to mention 60FPS is always nice, and is usually unheard of in an open-world game on the consoles.

Mononoke

Banned
Possibly, but the demos that have been shown have been built for a PC with the general guidelines of the PS3. It may not be 100%, but it should be pretty close.

Either way, all signs point to the next-gen versions being even better looking, and in 60FPS/1080p of course.

Yeah that is was really blows my mind. But then again, almost all games at the end of a generation look better than anything before it. I just can't believe the PS4 version will look even better.

Izick

Yeah that is was really blows my mind. But then again, almost all games at the end of a generation look better than anything before it. I just can't believe the PS4 version will look even better.

Can't disagree with you on that. I can't wait to see what the next-gen versions look like. I'm guessing they'll blow minds just as this trailer did.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Open world stealth at 1080p/60fps.

iblq4GMH32nuA9.png

So what they've shown so far is current-gen specs? :O

I can somewhat buy it. The game looks good mainly thanks to it's lighting but the models definitely have a certain "current gen" look to them. Still expecting this game to run like crap when it's actually on PS360 though.

antitrop

So i guess the COD fans did a good thing with the whole 60 FPS is a must.
Yes, I think it's fairly obvious that Call of Duty is very much partially responsible for pushing acceptance of 60fps.

I still remember not too long ago when people would adamantly argue that there is literally no difference between 60 and 30fps. Some people still believe that, but I believe it's a notion that is far less pervasive than it used to be and I absolutely believe the popularity of Call of Duty has been one of the primary contributing factors to that.

The reasons my non-hardcore gamer friends play Call of Duty instead of Battlefield 3 is because they say BF3 is "too laggy". They don't know shit about frame rates, or 60fps, or 30fps, or whatever, but they do know how "smooth" the game is compared to other shooters like it on consoles.

elbourreau

Everything we've seen so far is from a PC....... This never ran on actual consoles. This will never run as it on current gen consoles, and Kojiprod wants to make us believe it will be PS360.... Come on guys, be serious... On PS360?...

Shitstorm is coming....

It's made to run on the 360 and PS3 too so that doesn't really surprise me all that much. Once they stop targeting last gen consoles, like the new Killzone does, i'm betting this practice will disappear fast.

Top Bottom