• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Announces New 3DO Game for Wii

No6

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's not a 3DO port. It's a port of a 2004 arcade game that was the most popular arcade game in North America in 2006. I doubt it will outsell MGS4, but I guess there's a good enough shot that it might outprofit it.
I want to know what the most popular game in 2007 was.
Yeah but Guitar Hero 3 for Wii outselling the 360 version is.
Got numbers for that or are we going to be seeing the "non-guitar sales don't count" excuse?

No6 said:
I want to know what the most popular game in 2007 was.

Got numbers for that or are we going to be seeing the "non-guitar sales don't count" excuse?
Probably Buck Hunter or something like that. North American arcade revenues aren't exactly the bastion of the true gamer anymore. It's the machines like Golden Tee and what-not that end up in bars and lounges that are bringing in the bacon.

In a way, the arcade scene has come full circle. I hope this means pinball comes back. :O

Lobster

Banned
file2.jpg

Great job GAF! Great job!

You guys just proved to me that even if the Wii gets in on the main series of a game you guys don't give a fuck!

YOU GUYS WILL FUCKING BRING DOWN THE WII AT ANY CHANCE YOU GET!

Lobster

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Don't blame us for going after lulz first. We're only behaving according to our nature.

If this game were coming to 360/Ps3 it wouldn't have even made it to page 2!

No6

Segata Sanshiro said:
Probably Buck Hunter or something like that. North American arcade revenues aren't exactly the bastion of the true gamer anymore. It's the machines like Golden Tee and what-not that end up in bars and lounges that are bringing in the bacon.

In a way, the arcade scene has come full circle. I hope this means pinball comes back. :O
I'm not sure if I want to have to experience a 10-year resurgance of 70's-era pinball before the good tables start to show up, although the simplicity and easiness of the tables would be a good match for the people playing Buck Hunter.
Lobster said:

You guys just proved to me that even if the Wii gets in on the main series of a game you guys don't give a fuck!

Yes, we spent yesterday posting in this thread instead of posting in a thread started 3 hours ago... because we hate the wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lobster said:
If this game were coming to 360/Ps3 it wouldn't have even made it to page 2!

- Yaris.
- Look at the Phoenix Games cutscene thread. Laughing at moronic budgetware is always more popular than media releases for relatively unimportant games.
- PES is not really remarkable; it's never been to North America prior to now for a reason. North America is not big on football (euro-football) games in general. Even FIFA is pretty small fry. I wouldn't expect huge threads for any footy game.
- Just like Power Pro, I expect PES Wii will get plenty of respect from here when it does come... if it's any good.

Lobster said:

Oh please. They port a yearly roster update of a soccer game and people are supposed to care?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks like shit, but it will probably outsell the previous Konami Wii games. And if that happens you can't really blame Konami to put this crap on the machine. It's just that a part of the Wii userbase don't care about graphics or gameplay for that matter. They just want to play something that's easy to pick up and this game is exactly targeted to those people.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:

Nolan Bushnell should start reinstalling Pong machines in bars.

KevinCow

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
- Look at the Phoenix Games cutscene thread. Laughing at moronic budgetware is always more popular than media releases for relatively unimportant games.
Laughing at moronic budgetware is great fun and all, but it loses its fun when it turns into nothing but stupid console wars bullshit as these Wii shovelware threads always do, since instead of saying, "Lol, stupid shitty shovelware," people say, "Lol, stupid shitty Wii."

Jokeropia

Of All Trades said:
? If the IGN list posted earlier is any indicator, Carnival Games is going to outsell most 'normal' titles.
Actually it falls short of most normal titles as well. I don't think it even entered the Wii top ten in the month of release.
KittenMaster said:
I think it's more because Nintendo fans were promised an actual revolution, but only one game has really went beyond the waggle with flying colors (and that is Wario Ware), and all of the shovel ware and PS2 ports are a step backward from being a true revolution.
It's again actually mostly trolls in here who need to vent their anger at Nintendo's domination. There are lots of great to absolutely fantastic Wii games out there, your personal opinion notwithstanding.
Luckyman said:
fixed

3rd partys see Carnival Games selling some. That´s not good for a Wii gamer. :lol
Unsurprisingly, you have no idea what you're talking about. The most successful Wii third party games are Resident Evil 4:Wii, Mario and Sonic, Guitar Hero 3, Red Steel and Rayman, all being million sellers. (RE4:Wii is especially successful since it more than doubled Capcom's expectations for the game.)

Lobster said:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/Lobster92/file2.jpg

You have posted in this thread 11 times while that other thread that you're pointing out you've only posted once. Seems like you should be mad at yourself here.

No6

Jokeropia said:
Actually it falls short of most normal titles as well. I don't think it even entered the Wii top ten in the month of release.
No, it can't fall short "as well". It doesn't matter if it doesn't enter the Wii top ten in its first month (I'd love for you to actually prove that it didn't, though). The IGN LTD list clearly shows that Carnival Games has outsold most "normal" Wii games and if it wasn't in the top 10 back in August when it released then it very likely will outsell RE4 in the US because it obviously has significant "legs".
Unsurprisingly, you have no idea what you're talking about. The most successful Wii third party games are Resident Evil 4:Wii, Mario and Sonic, Guitar Hero 3, Red Steel and Rayman, all being million sellers. (RE4:Wii is especially successful since it more than doubled Capcom's expectations for the game.)
Is Carnival Games out in the EU? That's important if you're going to use worldwide numbers. After all, IGN has Red Steel pegged at sub-400k in the US, and it's basically stopped selling completely, so if Carnival Games, which according to you didn't enter the Wii top 10 in it's first month yet has still managed to push over 300k, keeps selling at any decent rate it will outsell Red Steel.

Unless, of course, you decided to shift to worldwide numbers in order to be dishonest. But you wouldn't do that, would you?
That most of you haven't touched. Does it hurt you people to talk abouta good wii game.
There are a lot of threads I haven't touched. That's what happens when you're in high demand.

Jokeropia

No6 said:
No, it can't fall short "as well". It doesn't matter if it doesn't enter the Wii top ten in its first month (I'd love for you to actually prove that it didn't, though). The IGN LTD list clearly shows that Carnival Games has outsold most "normal" Wii games and if it wasn't in the top 10 back in August when it released then it very likely will outsell RE4 in the US because it obviously has significant "legs".
What IGN list? If you mean the LTD figures from the podcast I believe it had about an equal amount of "normal" games above it as it had below it, but was also WAY below the top games. And I'm referring to worldwide sales here. Any reason you're restricting it to US figures?

Edit: WTF? I've always referred to worldwide sales. Why the hell is that dishonest?
No6 said:
Is Carnival Games out in the EU? That's important if you're going to use worldwide numbers.
Yes, it was released back in October. In the UK it appeared in the top 40 three times (#24 -> #14 -> #21) and then disappeared. I don't remember seeing it in any other EU charts since we only get top 10 or 20 outside of UK.
No6 said:
There are a lot of threads I haven't touched. That's what happens when you're in high demand.
Or rather your only interest in the Wii is to troll it, and these threads are pretty much the only opportunity.

Jokeropia

DiatribeEQ said:
And Wii owners will gobble this up like crack at a rehab clinic.

Sad, but true.
Except that it's not true. Probably not what you want to hear, but most shovelware sells like crap.

Link

The Autumn Wind
TheRipDizz said:
I think I made a legitimate point of this some weeks back describing my experiences at local store gaming sections and was flogged to all hell by the resident nintendo fanboys for trolling. They're getting really defensive lately. :lol The average Wii section is mind numbingly filled with liscensed/shovelware crap. Not to piss in anyone's cherrios, but it just is.
You say that, but all I see is people like you and Of All Trades in bunches of Wii threads making post after post of negative spin. Do you even own a Wii? Why do you give a damn?

EDIT - Let's throw No6 in the mix too.

Banned
No6 said:
Is Carnival Games out in the EU? That's important if you're going to use worldwide numbers. After all, IGN has Red Steel pegged at sub-400k in the US, and it's basically stopped selling completely, so if Carnival Games, which according to you didn't enter the Wii top 10 in it's first month yet has still managed to push over 300k, keeps selling at any decent rate it will outsell Red Steel.
Are you seriously using an IGN podcast as your source?

DiatribeEQ said:
And Wii owners will gobble this up like crack at a rehab clinic.

Sad, but true.
Is there a single successful shovelware agme besides Carnival games?

You guys are using that game until 2010.

No6

Jokeropia said:
What IGN list? If you mean the LTD figures from the podcast I believe it had about an equal amount of "normal" games above it as it had below it, but was also WAY below the top games. And I'm referring to worldwide sales here. Any reason you're restricting it to US figures?

Edit: WTF? I've always referred to worldwide sales. Why the hell is that dishonest?
The IGN list I linked a couple pages ago, to the thread with the podcast LTD figures. You've been shifting the goalposts repeatedly (no one ever claimed that Carnival Games was outselling the "top" games) ever since then. Remember this one:
even the really successful ones (like Carnival Games) have fairly unimpressive sales compared to 'normal' titles.
But since you apparently never read the list or really defined "normal", here's a quick breakdown of "normal" games that have outsold Carnival Games (and I'm being really, really generous here by not assuming that Carnival Games has managed to sell another 50k or so): COD3 (310k), Mario & Sonic (330k), Rayman RR1 (500k), RE4 (400k), Red Steel (sub-400k), Tiger Woods (350k) and Sonic (350k).

And here's what Carnival Games has outsold: Boogie (172k), Elebits (130k), Excite Truck (266k), Fire Emblem (53k, and it's not going to shoot up), Harry Potter (150k and no, it's not shovelware), Madden 08 (292k), MySims (200k), RRR2 (60k), SSX Blur (125k), The Bigs (200k), Tiger Woods 08 (175k), Trauma Center 1 (200k), Trauma Center 2 (15k), Z&W (35k), DDR (176k), Smackdown 08 (53k), MOH2 (31k) and REUC (120k, although I do expect this to sell more eventually).

No6

Link said:
You say that, but all I see is people like you and Of All Trades in bunches of Wii threads making post after post of negative spin. Do you even own a Wii? Why do you give a damn?

EDIT - Let's throw No6 in the mix too.
Yes, I have a Wii. I have all the consoles. I also like Sales-Age. I enjoyed MP3 and SMG is one of my top 5 games for this year. And I probably wouldn't give much of a damn about these threads if it weren't for the usual Nintendo fanboys posting ridiculous defences of their precious company. They're like punching bags.
Are you seriously using an IGN podcast as your source?
Sure, why not? Are you claiming that IGN committed slander?
Is there a single successful shovelware agme besides Carnival games?
Define successful. I mean, I've seen a lot people claim that SSX Blur sold "quite well", so I'd like to know what the threshold is.

And I'd say Wii Play is a pretty successful chunk of shovelware. A lot depends on what you consider shovelware, though. I consider Cooking Mama to be shovelware, and that sold almost 200k. Do licensed titles like High School Musical (185k) count as shovelware?

Jokeropia

No6 said:
The IGN list I linked a couple pages ago, to the thread with the podcast LTD figures.
That's the one I referred to.
No6 said:
You've been shifting the goalposts repeatedly
No, it has always been the same, namely that shovelware doesn't sell nearly as much as non-shovelware. (I used Carnival Games as an example since while 300k is considered great for such a game, it would only be OK most games and a failure for any higher profile game.) Stop accusing me of things I haven't done.
No6 said:
(no one ever claimed that Carnival Games was outselling the "top" games)
frAntic_Frog implied it, which prompted that response in the first place.
No6 said:
But since you apparently never read the list or really defined "normal", here's a quick breakdown of "normal" games that have outsold Carnival Games (and I'm being really, really generous here by not assuming that Carnival Games has managed to sell another 50k or so): COD3 (310k), Mario & Sonic (330k), Rayman RR1 (500k), RE4 (400k), Red Steel (sub-400k), Tiger Woods (350k) and Sonic (350k).
By "normal" I refer to every game that isn't shovelware, so you're missing quite a few in that list, several which completely destroy Carnival Games. (Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Mario Party, Super Paper Mario, Guitar Hero, Metroid.) Again though, why are you only counting US sales?

Here's an idea, how about adding together the sales of all non-shovelware games and putting them against the shovelware games? This is a different (but very related) angle that would show how normal software dwarfs shovelware in general when it comes to sales. (Even if you count Wii Play in the shovelware list, which it can be argued that you shouldn't since it's good value for $10.)
No6 said:
Smackdown 08
This should really belong on the shovelware list.

Link

The Autumn Wind
No6 said:
Yes, I have a Wii. I have all the consoles.
Could have fooled me.

I enjoyed MP3 and SMG is one of my top 5 games for this year.
You don't have a single post in the Galaxy thread, and most of your posts in the Metroid thread was your usual MO, so that means shit to me.

And I probably wouldn't give much of a damn about these threads if it weren't for the usual Nintendo fanboys posting ridiculous defences of their precious company. They're like punching bags.
Yeah, we call that trolling.

Cravis

I enjoyed the game in the arcade. I would hope the 39.99 price point on Gamestop is wrong. I wouldn't pay more than 19.99. This and the Nyko Perfect Shot gun will be a blast to play in spurts.

Jirotrom said:
PS2 wasn't exactly considered a "budget" system at this time. Devs see the wii as a system for budget titles and rightfully so. Nintendo preached the system that way and this is the result.
I agree with your statement yet the list is relevant towards mine. PS2 didn't have an influx of budget games flooding in only a year after release. Most companies were just getting a grip on the hardware at that time. The Wii is familiar hardware only with a new interface so, yeah, instead of embracing the waggle most companies are opting for the easy buck.
Crushed said:
Trust me, you're not looking hard enough.
I was there a year into the PS2 and I'm here in the Wii's case and trust me, it's not the same.
PantherLotus said:
My apologies for derailing this thread but that list was the only way for me to qualify my statement some didn't agree with. Oh, and good job on your thread. :)

Top Bottom