• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the top selling third-party publisher in Japan 2020 and Momotaro is the best selling game.

Bodomism

Banned
Thanks to N noshten for the data compilation.

As only one week of CY2020 left, Konami managed to overtake Square Enix in week 51 of 2020 as the top selling 3rd party publisher in Japan. Thanks to Momotaro Dentetsu's momentum that was released a few weeks ago, Konami is leading the Japanese video game industry like never before.

Top 3rd Party Publishers
  1. Konami - 1.392.474
  2. Square Enix - 1.389.263
  3. Bandai Namco - 964.801
  4. Microsoft - 574.354
  5. Sega - 460.877
  6. Koei Tecmo - 435.384
  7. Capcom - 321.998
  8. Atlus - 330.357
  9. Spike Chunsoft - 112.408
  10. Cygames - 111.094
Top 3 third party games
  1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 964.207
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 932.821
  3. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 508.523

Momotaro Dentetsu has top 1.5 million units of shipments+digital sales in just a few weeks.

3pqlkB_0Y2kg2zt00

Aggelos

And the above fact probably weakens the following rumour below even more, if Konami can sell a lot of shit (without the presence/help/aid of Kojima)

Bodomism

Banned
And the above fact probably weakens the following rumour below even more, if Konami can sell a lot of shit (without the presence/help/aid of Kojima)

They had sold over 1 million units of Super Bomberman R on Nintendo Switch alone.

They definitely can with a proper marketing and release timing.

Momotaro Dentetsu is likely to sell more copies on Nintendo Switch in Japan alone than Death Stranding on PS4 worldwide.

Bodomism

Banned
Fox Tv Stop GIF by Last Man Standing

Yikes. I don’t know what is more sadder, Konami being on top or Japan situation.
It's a good news for Japanese video game industry and it's a bad news for companies that aren't willing to support Japan market leader with a proper efforts and budgets for their games.

Capcom will set a new record next year with Monster Hunter Rise, MHS2, RE:R3, RE: VIII, GnG, and Ace attorney game.

Square Enix will be left far behind if they unable to decide whether to create an exclusive DQ game for Nintendo Switch or not.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
By releasing an appealing product on the market leader instead of platform without active userbases.
I don't even know what that game is, let alone what platform.
But from how little they do release, it is surprising

Bodomism

Banned
Why must you turn everything into a console war?
It's just a basic business strategy.

You release games on 17 million of active userbases not on inactive userbases of consoles at their end of life cycle.

Example, during 3ds golden era in 2012-2015 where 3ds userbases were the most active in Japan, SQE could've easily released Dragon Quest 11 and gotten 4-5 million units return of investment, but they decided to wait at the end of 3ds lifecycle to release it simultaneously with PS4 version and the result was an underwhelming for SQE.

Monster Hunter series was a good example of how Capcom taking advantage on active userbases of 3ds in Japan.

MH3G = 2 million units in Japan.
MH4/4G = 8.3 million units(6.2M in Japan)
MHX/XX = 6 million units(4M in Japan)

VS

Dragon Quest 11 3ds version = 1.8 million units

Capcom is going to repeat the same successful tactic once again next year by releasing MH Rise in 2021 and MH Rise G in 2022 on Nintendo Switch while other companies that are reluctant to commit their development on Nintendo Switch in Japan will scratch their head looking at the sales numbers of Capcom, Konami, and the gang.

Last edited:

Unknown?

It's a good news for Japanese video game industry and it's a bad news for companies that aren't willing to support Japan market leader with a proper efforts and budgets for their games.

Capcom will set a new record next year with Monster Hunter Rise, MHS2, RE:R3, RE: VIII, GnG, and Ace attorney game.

Square Enix will be left far behind if they unable to decide whether to create an exclusive DQ game for Nintendo Switch or not.
Aww shit, the return of Japanese games being held back? It's like the HD gen all over again where all their games looked like PS2 still.

Last edited:
Has there been any announcement of Momotaro Dentetsu coming over to North America?
That game is about as tailored for the Japanese market as games get. It wouldn't even have niche appeal in the West.

If you really want to play it, though, I think the TurboGrafx-16 Mini ships with Super Momotaro Dentetsu II preinstalled.

sublimit

Banned
Lol at the Kojima hate, positive Konami comments, and potential console war nonsense.

This is weird. I mean, hell, they basically don't even make video games anymore. They're hardly relevant. Such a waste of good to great IPs.
Death Stranding is not a game for everyone and a lot of PS fans hated it or ignored it because it didn't appeal to them (i belong in the second group) but you can bet your ass that if it was Xbox exclusive the very same Xbox fanboys in this thread would have praised it to no end. ;)

Wait until MS starts releasing their own cinematic games and i bet that we will see a lot of the same fanboys who keep criticizing Sony's "cinematic" output to start singing a different tune.

yazenov

Final Fantasy 7, Remake, FInal Fantasy 15, and kingdom heart 3 sold like hotkakes worldwise without a switch version. Why on earth would they make an exclusive dragon quest game for the switch?

Also, Capcom releasing Monster Hunter Rise without a PS4/PS5 version is LOL worthy especially given the sales of Monster Hunter World, which basically carried the whole company last Gen.

MagnesG

Banned
Final Fantasy 7, Remake, FInal Fantasy 15, and kingdom heart 3 sold like hotkakes worldwise without a switch version. Why on earth would they make an exclusive dragon quest game for the switch?

Also, Capcom releasing Monster Hunter Rise without a PS4/PS5 version is LOL worthy especially given the sales of Monster Hunter World, which basically carried the whole company last Gen.
Check out DQ sales WW vs Japan, you'll get the answer. DQ is just not that popular WW.

Lol thinking Rise wouldn't sell gangbusters. Last MH 3DS sold around 9 millions with rerelease on a 60 millions install base, it's the power of local coop and Rise will do the same but better on Switch. MHW sold 16+ millions because it was released PS4, Xbone, PC literally sold almost on all platforms. MHW is not that hot if it is only PS4, so get off on your ignorant pedestal.

yazenov

Check out DQ sales WW vs Japan, you'll get the answer. DQ is just not that popular WW.

Lol thinking Rise wouldn't sell gangbusters. Last MH 3DS sold around 9 millions with rerelease on a 60 millions install base, it's the power of local coop and Rise will do the same but better on Switch. MHW sold 16+ millions because it was released PS4, Xbone, PC literally sold almost on all platforms. MHW is not that hot if it is only PS4, so get off on your ignorant pedestal.
Do you have the sales numbers for DQ on PS4 to back up your claims?

And regarding the sales breakdown of Monster Hunter World, we are lucky to have the Capcom hack leaks that shows the PS4 version of the game doing the heavy lifting and selling the most of Sony's console.

51% PS4 (8.7m)
35% PC (5.9m)
14% Xbox (2.4m)

The PS4 consumers also spent the most on the PS4

So you're the ignorant one here.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Do you have the sales numbers for DQ on PS4 to back up your claims?

And regarding the sales breakdown of Monster Hunter World, we are lucky to have the Capcom hack leaks that shows the PS4 version of the game doing the heavy lifting and selling the most of Sony's console.

51% PS4 (8.7m)
35% PC (5.9m)
14% Xbox (2.4m)

The PS4 consumers also spent the most on the PS4

So you're the ignorant one here.

Just go get the DQ numbers from Jap MC thread I don't have time to entertain your ass.

Also lol. You thought just having 9 millions sales on 100++ millions install base was hot? Remember 8 millions from 60 millions 3DS? So much for the heavy lifting.

Yes. You ignorant .

Oh I forgot about micro transactions. Yeah maybe that could soften the narrative but still, not that hot.

Last edited:

yazenov

Just get the DQ numbers from Jap MC thread I don't have time to entertain you.

Also lol. You thought just having 9 millions sales on 100++ millions install base was hot? Remember 8 millions from 60 millions 3DS? Heavy lifting my ass.

Yes. You ignorant .

Oh I forgot about micro transactions. Yeah maybe that could soften the narrative but still, not that hot.

Dude, Rise sales wont come close to World sales due to the exclusion of a PS4/5 version of the game. This is not even debatable. Deal with it.

MagnesG

Banned
Dude, Rise sales wont come close to World sales due to the exclusion of a PS4/5 version of the game. This is not even debatable. Deal with it.
Who said that? You?

I just said that Rise will sell gangbuster and most likely will have better results than before due to Switch - healthy software sales, most likely surpass 3DS and PSP handheld sales data.

10 millions is a lock, maybe more. It has potential to come close though lol. Deal with the prospect unless you're tripping.

Last edited:

yazenov

Who said that? You?

I just said that Rise will sell gangbuster and most likely will have better results than before due to Switch - healthy software sales, most likely surpass 3DS and PSP handheld sales data.

10 millions is a lock, maybe more. It has potential to come close though lol. Deal with the prospect unless you're tripping.
Nobody cares about the past sales for the Monster Hunter Games pre World. Now the most relevant comparison would be against the most resent Monster Hunter World numbers.

If Rise does not match or sells less than World, it will be considered a decline for the series and would be considered a flop. The barometer for the franchise is now set by World's standard, for world had released the franchise from the handheld ghetto.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Death Stranding is not a game for everyone and a lot of PS fans hated it or ignored it because it didn't appeal to them (i belong in the second group) but you can bet your ass that if it was Xbox exclusive the very same Xbox fanboys in this thread would have praised it to no end. ;)

Wait until MS starts releasing their own cinematic games and i bet that we will see a lot of the same fanboys who keep criticizing Sony's "cinematic" output to start singing a different tune.
You're totally right! Haha.

Top Bottom