• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami on Platinum, Sequel, and possible PC port

Platinum + PC = one of the few combinations where I'd buy the game second 1 without batting an eye. I'll take the cynic approach though and won't get my hopes up. Inaba and Valve meeting hasn't yielded any results yet, sadly.

Mileena

Banned
You know, I really wish KojiPro would just come out and say that they don't think a Wii U version of MGR would sell enough to justify porting costs, or at least give a "no plans at this time." I'm starting to wonder if they actually believe the nonsensical controller excuse.
Of course they don't believe the controller nonsense. The controller would be fine for it.

I wasn't talking about sales. I may as well admit right now that I would be less bitter about turning the series into yet another God of War clone if the reboot didn't extend to the portable releases as well.

As much as I'm looking forward to LoS2 I really would love to have Order of Ecclesia 2 as well :(

I wish to know what's the catch between Nintendo and Kojima, obviously this "controller being innovative" is a lame cover up story and, considering Platinum's support for Wii U, this commentary don't make sense at all. Is quite obvious Kojima hold a grudge against Nintendo.

I wish to know what's the catch between Nintendo and Kojima, obviously this "controller being innovative" is a lame cover up story and, considering Platinum's support for Wii U, this commentary don't make sense at all. Is quite obvious Kojima hold a grudge against Nintendo.

The last one who said something along those lines (just with Peter Moore instead of Kojima) got a nice tag, btw.

Grief.exe

Revengeance PC will probably happen. I'd be surprised if the console version doesn't do just fine considering it has the MGS license attached. It'll probably also be out before most of the other big games in early 2013.

They should still go back and port Bayonetta and Vanquish though. Would make back their money easily.

Yes! I want to try these games, particularly vanquish. And 60fps+, 1080p+ would be huge for these type of games.

I would buy mgsr, vanquish, bayonetta, mgs5/phantom pain, and los2 when/if they come to PC.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Buying PS3 LE day 1

would double dip on PC in a heartbeat

Let Konami know for me JP

Uhh...

wiiupro530pxheaderimg513513.jpg

C'mon, guys, at least offer an honest reason for why you don't want to port the game beyond "we would have to make it work with the GamePad and that takes too much time/energy/money."

Seeing as how KojiPro likes to push tech, it doesn't make sense to invest in a Wii U version of Revengeance. There seems little point in going through all the trouble (and there seems to be quite a bit in some cases) of porting this to a new platform when the next gen installments in the franchise will probably not be possible (or desirable for that matter, as much would likely need to be sacrificed) and thus, gaining a loyal userbase early in the lifecycle is a moot point. For what it is offering technically, Wii U is simply too late to the party to get this type of game.

Konami hasn't released anything worth buying on a Nintendo home console in over a decade and the last decent handheld game they did was what? 4 years ago now (Order of Ecclesia?)

Their abandonment of Nintendo platforms isn't news. It's an expected status quo.

Currently waiting to see how they screw up Mirror of Fate. Last minute announced Vita port with the a polished up batch of DS games maybe? Or the game will just turn out half assed since it's not an Igavania?

RedSwirl

Well for starters Kojima has never himself shipped a game for a Nintendo home console (NES and Gamecube Metal Gear games weren't him). Just sayin'.

Why won't Platinum port their games to PC :(. They deserve to be played at 60 hertz.

It makes sense to us, but to most Japanese devs the idea of the PC as a core gaming platform still doesn't make sense. I remember hearing on the Kojima production report that they didn't even hear a lot of the demand for a PC version until they went to Gamescom in Germany (where PC gaming is still dominant). Even then they were shocked that there were so many PC gamers interested in Rising.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense to us, but to most Japanese devs the idea of the PC as a core gaming platform still doesn't make sense. I remember hearing on the Kojima production report that they didn't even hear a lot of the demand for a PC version until they went to Gamescom in Germany (where PC gaming is still dominant). Even then they were shocked that there were so many PC gamers interested in Rising.

Yeah I always found that cultural thing really interesting

Wasn't PC gaming until recently seen as a negative thing in Japan?(Seen as a platform for fan games and eroge. Not professional products)

People give Capcom alot of shit for their Western pandering, but they were releasing high profile(and high quality) PC ports of their games before any other Japanese publisher. Really glad they opened the doors and other Japanese devs are paying attention to the PC market in their efforts to globalize their products.

Sooner PG gets on PC sooner I can stop giving a shit about gaming consoles

Effect

"Nintendo consoles aren't where our audience are" is what it boils down to. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but this is the widespread perception and it'd take a monumental and prolonged effort on Nintendo's part to change it.

There is a big problem with Nintendo going really out of there way to change this. To do so they'd have to develop the games themselves or fund development of games and really push them to their consumer base. Say they are really successful. How does that help third parties?

All Nintendo has done at that point is made customers really big fans of those series they've created or had created for them. Why would customers at that point give a damn about Metal Gear or any other third party franchise that was kept off of Nintendo's hardware? The audience has been created or nurtured but for those Nintendo games and franchises that were created.

This is the problem with keeping a game or franchise off a system until the audience is there. You have to nurture the audience and actively make the appeal with your game. If you don't someone else will and they still won't buy your game or give any attention to your franchise because the bulk of the loyality will be to those other companies or franchises. It could be just as hard to break through that. At that point you have a certain standard that you have to reach in order to outdo Nintendo or a Nintendo funded game/franchise. People aren't just going flock to the series that now decides to appear on the system to get a piece of the action.

Oh? I recall a 1Up interview he did a few years ago where he claimed Castlevania was his favorite. Maybe that's his favorite action game, or his tastes have changed? Or maybe the interview had false information. :p

He said Castlevania was the first game that made him really get into gaming. But I will say that I thought his favorite game was Getsu Fuuma Den, not LttP. I guess I need to hit the books.

I wish Konami gave Konami to Platinum.
Fixed.
You know, I really wish KojiPro would just come out and say that they don't think a Wii U version of MGR would sell enough to justify porting costs, or at least give a "no plans at this time." I'm starting to wonder if they actually believe the nonsensical controller excuse.
Given developers reports on how easy to port it over is I highly doubt that it wouldnt be able to pay off the cost off porting. Granted I don't think it will sell much but, im sure theyd recoup any costs spent porting it. Itd probably be a small or insignificant profit but id think that a business wouldnt have a problem doing a low risk port to a new system. It could broaden mgs appeal and open the door for future titles.

Akainu

Damn, Wii U constantly getting sidelined.I don't even own the console and i feel bad for it's owners.
Have you heard of the vita?

And all you people wanting platinum to make everything can go to hell (not really but give it a rest). They should stick with making their own games lack of sells be damned. Rising was bad enough no reason to turn everything into the same game.

Top Bottom