• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami reveals 50th Anniversary Collections: Castlevania, Contra & Arcade

Thabass

What's the reasoning behind this? You don't want to line the pockets of companies you don't like but you'll do it for games Kojima's involved with? 0o

I don't see how liking and buying these old Castlevania game means you approve of current day Konami practices.

I'll support the things I like from them and nothing more.

Last edited:
Actually I never tried them. Always wanted to; but alas, Konami fucked up, so now I don't care.

Your loss, some fine games in the collection. I'm hoping they're using these collections as a way of testing if there's enough interest for new entries in the franchises. With any luck there is. Companies are capable of turning around their shitty practices/output. Capcom for example have been on point for the most part recently following a string of shite. Never understood the whole "you're dead to me!" stance some people take with publishers. If they release shite then by all means don't buy it but to not buy something even if its great due to stubbornness makes little sense to me.

Thabass

Your loss, some fine games in the collection. I'm hoping they're using these collections as a way of testing if there's enough interest for new entries in the franchises. With any luck there is. Companies are capable of turning around their shitty practices/output. Capcom for example have been on point for the most part recently following a string of shite. Never understood the whole "you're dead to me!" stance some people take with publishers. If they release shite then by all means don't buy it but to not buy something even if its great due to stubbornness makes little sense to me.

I get that. I'm just someone who's really sore about their favorite franchise, one of which had some of the best games in the whole industry go kaput the way it did. And their treatment of Kojima, who gave a lot to them treated him like that. Uh uh, Fuck Konami.

sol_bad

Does anyone have this on PC? Not many reviews but it's mixed, people complaining that you can't customise controls.
Gameplay wise is the emulation bad on PC or is it just PC gamers expecting things beyond what the original games were?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
haven't had much time to play, been busy all day with stuff. i did sneak away to the bathroom and buy this so that it would be ready when i got home =)

it's so good! i love it! default option is the game nice and big 1:1 pixels in the center of the screen, no background, no overlay. perfect. just give me that pure uncut vania. lots of display options and stuff but i haven't played around w them.

played a good bit of CV1, made it to Frankenstein on a single continue. those two skelly snakes before him are such a pain lol. From Software treats us so nice by letting people run straight to the boss. maybe one of these days i will actually take down the grim reaper without save states...

the sound problem is there in the "Stalker" track, there is a little glitchy sound at certain points. i wonder if they will patch it. it's not a huge deal tbh, barely noticable during play.

also dipped into Simon's Quest, my favorite entry, just to hear that glorious town music. then on to Bloodlines to try that out as well. feels like they really nailed the emulation here, the music is the best quality i've heard, with really nice bass. the drum rolls are so cool.

looking forward to playing through all these, then playing through the Japanese variants. the book is pretty cool too, there is a nice interview with Michiru Yamane on the music. this came to Switch at a bad time now ill never finish FFIX and never even start FFVII lol

Last edited:

scalman

pc version . doesnt have any filters or anything just image streching so how it compares to lets say same castlevania NES run on Mesen emulator with HQ4x filter . for me its nothing to compare here. you can make original pixelated look on emulator too but cmon for my eyes clear and crisp image is allways better
NUqmNRU.png

WhcJe1R.png

DxFPBSr.png

LJH6ut6.png

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

Really good interview that talks in depth about the first game, why Dracula’s head comes off, the reason for wall chicken, etc

Andyliini

I replayed the original game today. It was still as fun as ever, altough I got lucky with The Creature, and beat him on my first try without holy water. I noticed that stage 2 music and victory fanfare have music glithes in them, but thankfully they were quite minor.

I have played this game for years now, and only now did I nitice that if you stand right next to Dracula in his second form, he always does the high jump. Makes the second phase much easier.

93xfan

Banned
So glad the response time is fantastic. And the scan line effect is some of the best I’ve seen. Has color bleeding that makes it look like it’s on a classic CRT.

I get that. I'm just someone who's really sore about their favorite franchise, one of which had some of the best games in the whole industry go kaput the way it did. And their treatment of Kojima, who gave a lot to them treated him like that. Uh uh, Fuck Konami.

If you don't care anymore, then why are you posting in here?

HotPocket69

Banned
pc version . doesnt have any filters or anything just image streching so how it compares to lets say same castlevania NES run on Mesen emulator with HQ4x filter . for me its nothing to compare here. you can make original pixelated look on emulator too but cmon for my eyes clear and crisp image is allways better
NUqmNRU.png

WhcJe1R.png

DxFPBSr.png

LJH6ut6.png

That smoothing effect looks terrible. Why would you not want to stare at those GORGEOUS PIXELS? Were you not born in the 80s?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Kid Dracula is pretty awesome, played a little of it earlier. Really nice to have this here!

Love the menu of all the games, with the classic music tracks, and the pixelated close ups from each game. the UI is nice and simple

Simons’s Quest has a really nice atmosphere, with great tunes, and an open world where you travel across streams and mountains, to different mansions all over Europe. Vastly underrated.

Last edited:

scalman

That smoothing effect looks terrible. Why would you not want to stare at those GORGEOUS PIXELS? Were you not born in the 80s?
I did in late 70's but you can have then HD pixels in emulation if you want to vs blurry pixels thaf i see in a iversary. Its more blurry image vs clear and sharp. Its what easier to eyes to look at .

Orenji Neko

I like the pixel perfect with scanlines option, though so far I've only tried Bloodlines on it. Looks plays and sounds just like my cart, but then this is M2 after all. With the scanlines, the image is still clean and reasonably sharp, but just enough distortion for those blending effects from the Genesis to look correct. I'll have to check out what the other games look like later. For reference, I'm playing on the Switch since I wanted this particular game in a portable format.

Does the collection have save states?

Yeah, looks like a single state (or quicksave as they call it) per game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dunno I’m sure there’s a full list somewhere.

The Japanese title screens to these are so cool! The one for Super Famicom has the Castle in the name!

Generic

Why do you assume Kojima was the victim? He isn't well know for being a good manager.

Thabass

Why do you assume Kojima was the victim? He isn't well know for being a good manager.

Eh, I wouldn't say he's a bad manager. If that were the case, I'm sure a lot of his staff wouldn't have gone with him to be part of the new Kojima Productions. I'd wager a bet that MGSV was one his more prominent screw ups if anything.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i think it's safe to assume Konami has always had a somewhat adversarial relationship with their employees. remember that nobody was given credit on the early games, the first Castlevania is just joke names, and the reason Metal Gear & stealth exists in the first place is they forced him to work on underpowered hardware. i don't see a world where Konami is a 100% nice place to work through all 8-bit and 16-bit and PS1/2/3 games then suddenly becomes a bad place to work in the last few years.

that said, a lot of incredible works were created under these conditions. including the incredible Castlevania games!

KOMANI

KOMANI
i think it's safe to assume Konami has always had a somewhat adversarial relationship with their employees. remember that nobody was given credit on the early games, the first Castlevania is just joke names, and the reason Metal Gear & stealth exists in the first place is they forced him to work on underpowered hardware. i don't see a world where Konami is a 100% nice place to work through all 8-bit and 16-bit and PS1/2/3 games then suddenly becomes a bad place to work in the last few years.

that said, a lot of incredible works were created under these conditions. including the incredible Castlevania games!
How many video game credits did you see in 1986? And forced to work on under powered hardware? So it’s a crime to have an MSX team, along with having an Arcade team and Famicom team, ok. Those are some stretches if you’re trying to make the point that Konami was adversarial to its employees.

Generic

Eh, I wouldn't say he's a bad manager. If that were the case, I'm sure a lot of his staff wouldn't have gone with him to be part of the new Kojima Productions. I'd wager a bet that MGSV was one his more prominent screw ups if anything.
Yes he screwed up MGSV and put money on projects that failed. Add to the equation broken megalomaniac promises (which certainly costed a lot of money) and his whims (hiring costly Hollywood actors, licensing musics that are barely used) and he doesn't seems to be someone I would trust my money with.

Thabass

Yes he screwed up MGSV and put money on projects that failed. Add to the equation broken megalomaniac promises (which certainly costed a lot of money) and his whims (hiring costly Hollywood actors, licensing musics that are barely used) and he doesn't seems to be someone I would trust my money with.

The dude made MGS 1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, Zone of the Enders 1 & 2, Snatcher, and Policenauts. The man has made his fair share of games. I think I can let one failure pass. But, I don't want to keep you from your soapbox, so continuing your chastising, I'll just put you on ignore.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The dude made MGS 1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, Zone of the Enders 1 & 2, Snatcher, and Policenauts. The man has made his fair share of games. I think I can let one failure pass. But, I don't want to keep you from your soapbox, so continuing your chastising, I'll just put you on ignore.
He didn’t make ZOE , 1 or 2. And i wouldn’t add mgs4 to the list of good games.

Andyliini

There's no Japanese version of Simon' Quest, which has differing music from the NES version, even Japanese version of this collection omits it. I wonder why is this. Perhaps there only exists an FDS version, which would not work as a normal ROM.

GrayFoxPL

NUqmNRU.png

WhcJe1R.png

DxFPBSr.png

LJH6ut6.png
Geezas those fugly filters!

Vsp6gMg.jpg

Top Bottom