• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Bethesda is misleading gamers about Prey 2, Arkane is in fact making game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
are you joking or actually asking

I have no clue. It's just usually this position is taken by communities managers on forums who are trying to explain why they said something that wasn't true earlier.

Some people though have no relationship to a game or the industry and still feel that way, and that's perfectly fine.

JDSN

Banned
The hostility coming from both this article and Bethesda seem really weird and unnecessary. Why does Bethesda need this to be hidden from "press sneak fucks" and why is Kotaku so upse that Bethesda hasn't told anyone the status of Prey 2? Does any of this matter?

Post #14. Also this.

Grief.exe

The hostility coming from both this article and Bethesda seem really weird and unnecessary. Why does Bethesda need this to be hidden from "press sneak fucks" and why is Kotaku so upse that Bethesda hasn't told anyone the status of Prey 2? Does any of this matter?

Post #14. Also this.

here

Some other context

Leaked Prey 2 images from the Human Head build

You guys know Bethesda owns Arkane, so they can make them do whatever they want them to do. During production of Dishonored, Bethesda started to arbitrarily reject milestones. In doing so, the then-independent-Arkane had to find ways to pay their staff since successful milestones are what feeds the bank. Knowing that Arkane wasn't making their milestones on time and potentially going to suffer internally, such as loosing staff, or ultimately shutting down, Bethesda's parent company Zenimax stepped in to help Arkane out by floating them loans during this "quality issue" period. That seemed nice of Zenimax to help out Arkane, right?

Now since Bethesda had been rejecting milestones because they didn't believe Arkane was maintaining the quality they originally promised, Arkane's also severely behind schedule because time has been spent correctly and addressing Bethesda's issues with previously rejected milestones.

Since Zenimax is also the company that's invested in Bethesda, they start telling Arkane they have serious concerns about their ability to finish the Dishonored. Even though they originally floating them loans to keep Arkane running, they now give them an ultimatum: pay back the loans or sell them the studio for some piddly amount. If Arkane doesn't do either, then Zenimax will take them court for breach of contract since they're now so far behind in the project.

Remember, it's because Zenimax's company Bethesda has been rejecting milestones that put Arkane behind in the first place.

The outcome is Arkane reluctantly sold their independence to Zenimax so they could continue the creative work they started and at the very least have public recognition for their efforts.

This is why Bethesda can tell Arkane to do whatever they want them to do now.

What would you do if you were making Prey 2 and started wondering why Bethesda was suddenly treating you differently? You'd start looking at past independent developers Bethesda has had deals with to understand if it's a developer issue or a publisher issue. When you discover Bethesda started to reject milestones at not only Arkane, but Splash Damage and inXile, you start to see a pattern. Knowing the fate of Arkane, if you were the Prey 2 developer would just sit there and see what happens or would you confront the publisher?

r0bLRHX.png

.la1n

A company was denying that a game is in development from journalist? I for one am shocked. SHOCKED.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this is it ?! ---- http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/15/dis...-similar-game-with-potential-for-multiplayer/

I still believe Human Head were doing great job, E3 presentation was pretty damn good, me and a couple more of my friends were excited, and for the record I am not into FPSs.

They're making both Dishonored 2 and Prey 2.

Dishonored 2 is being made by Arkane France (helmed by Harvey Smith), while Prey 2 is being made by Arkane Austin (helmed by Raphael Colantonio).

Army of Two, Crackdown, and Lost Planet were fairly big sellers early this generation. People buy games at the beginning of a generation, because they are open to new things. A lot of these new IPs aren't really new franchise material. How often is Prey brought up in best of the generation conversations? I'm surprised Arkane studios would focus on a sequel to that over Dishonored.
Arkane has two branches -- one in Austin and one in France. The latter worked on Dishonored, I believe, while the former might have assisted. The rumors state that Austin is working on the Prey 2 reboot. Presumably their main office in Lyon is working on concepts for Dishonored 2.

Syntax

Human Head was developing Prey 2.

Bethesda/Zenimax stopped paying the developer, justifying the action by citing quality issues at milestones.

Bethesda has done this several times before. Zenimax then starts loaning the developer money to keep them afloat while they try to meet the milestones.
At one point, Zenimax stops loaning them money and demands payment. The studio is forced into selling themselves to Zenimax/Bethesda in order to stay open.

Human Head refused to play ball and just stopped working on the game. Bethesda/Zenimax recently gave the IP to Arkane.

Thanks for that summary. It certainly gives this story new perspective compared to my previous interpretation of comments which basically amounted to a new game under the 'Prey 2' moniker.

MYeager

I agree. I feel like there's something big that I'm missing to explain why everyone is so upset about this, both from Bethesda and Kotaku.

Edit: Also, I can't imagine people following this industry for long without getting used to be lied to by developers and publishers. Basically, until the product is released and reviewed by normal people (not enthusiast press), I assume everything they're telling me is a lie.

I hope the reason the kept it quiet wasn't for legal issues with Human Head, because if Arkane was looking to start working on it right away while these issues were being sorted out, something like this could halt those plans.

Grayman

The questionable studio acquisition methods are a story but I don't think "no we aren't working on Prey 2" is. Its a consumer product made by a private company.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is so sad. Prey 2 looked fucking awesome. At least Arkane is a good home for it, hopefully they stick to the formula shown in the demos. I just wish HH hadn't gotten screwed over.

I don't see the issue here, they don't want to tell them anything about the game?
I like their contempt for games junnalists.

Sleazebags only capable of doing any investigating if it's to protect their own asses, never when it's to stand up for the consumer, fuck em indeed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't see the issue here, they don't want to tell them anything about the game?
I like their contempt for games junnalists.

If you're not going to make the effort to read the story, no one is going to make the effort to explain it to you.

The questionable studio acquisition methods are a story but I don't think "no we aren't working on Prey 2" is. Its a consumer product made by a private company.

The correct response is "We don't comment on unannounced products". Not "It's absolutely not true and we're investigating who told you." *runs to bathroom* "Guys who told?!?!?!" That is rude and disrepectful of the time of the person who asked you. It's manipulative

MrPeazy

Banned
After the whole cancellation debacle, seems like everyone is sort of owed an explanation about what the hell is going on.

Not really. It is their property, they can do with it what they will. They do not have to answer to anyone if they cancel it, publish it, never talk about it again. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but we are not owed anything.

Not directed at you, but too many people incorrectly think things are owed to them when their not.

Edit: Beaten, badly.

If you're not going to make the effort to read the story, no one is going to make the effort to explain it to you.

I only read what's in the emails in the op, not the story spun around it.
You are right though ,maybe I don't have the full perspective, but only because I refuse to give kotaku any clicks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't surprise me! If I were a game journalist and had an interview with him I'd say: "Hey there, I'm the press sneak fuck who's going to interview you today".

But damn, it shows that even respected devs can have resentful feelings towards guys who are just doing their job. I'm glad we now know that they're lying!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I only read what's in the emails in the op, not the story spun around it.
You are right though ,maybe I don't have the full perspective, but only because I refuse to give kotaku any clicks.

OK, well, this is a thread about a Kotaku story, so see ya in another thread some time because you will obviously not be continuing to post in this one.

They're making both Dishonored 2 and Prey 2.

Dishonored 2 is being made by Arkane France (helmed by Todd Harvey), while Prey 2 is being made by Arkane Austin (helmed by Raphael Colantonio).

I see, that makes more sense, I thought they had only 1 team, I was wrong.

Acosta

"press sneak fucks" Classy. Colantonio looked like a nice guy, that's disappointing.

Great job Jason. I guess Bethesda will go for the silent wall tactic now.

Stumpokapow said:
The correct response is "We don't comment on unannounced products". Not "It's absolutely not true and we're investigating who told you." *runs to bathroom* "Guys who told?!?!?!" That is rude and disrepectful of the time of the person who asked you. It's manipulative

Exactly. Well said, I wonder what RPS will do, they are not kind for this stuff and at some point they will have to announce the game.

dr_rus

Rebooting Prey 2 as if it were a new IP/System Shock successor.
That's the dumbest idea ever. Why would anyone want a Prey 2 that has more to do with RPG / SS than the original FPS / Prey? Such new IP would do much better not carrying a Prey name on it. As a Prey 2 it'll be a disappointment to both Prey fans and SS fans out there. Bethesda is a really strange publisher.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see, that makes more sense, I thought they had only 1 team, I was wrong.

They originally did.

They just decided to split it up after Dishonored shipped.

I noticed it was kind of fishy that their job postings were hiring tons of senior tech people for Arkane France and tons of senior level design/art people for Arkane Austin, but presumably they used to handle tech in Arkane Austin and Level Design/Art in Arkane France.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's the dumbest idea ever. Why would anyone want a Prey 2 that has more to do with RPG / SS than the original FPS / Prey? Such new IP would do much better not carrying a Prey name on it. As a Prey 2 it'll be a disappointment to both Prey fans and SS fans out there. Bethesda is a really strange publisher.

They presumably paid a pretty penny for the Prey IP and are determined to use it.

MrPeazy

Banned
A hearty fuck you to Bethesda/Zenimax. Fuck you and your developer pyramid scheme bullshit.

And the apologists in this thread make me sad.

Not apologists. You may not like it, I don't, but the people who are saying we are owed an explanation are wrong is all.

WAIT WHAT, they blackout the emails but not the Sign off name.

that is terrible if your going to leak privilege information make sure no one can get chought :(

also YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PREY 2 :D:D:D:D HYPE !!!!!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They presumably paid a pretty penny for the Prey IP and are determined to use it.

you know what they could do with the IP they paid money for? get the original team (Human Head Studios) to make a sequel. they could call it Prey 2. that'd be neat.

DeviantBoi

Where was Kotaku when David Jaffe lied about attending E3 a couple of years ago?

Why couldnt they expose him as the lying sneak fuck that he was?

Carcetti

'Press sneak fucks' made me inhale some salt crackers but the idea of Prey 2 taking resources from a possible Dishonored 2 is hurting me more.

Top Bottom