• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Dark Souls 3's anti-cheating mechanism resulting in false positive bans

bathsalts

Have played about 70ish hours including lots of pvp, seen 1 cheater I think, article title is definite hyperbole,, the issue he's actually talking about seems kinda shitty though.

Not if the anti-cheat is good.

lol, not at all.

Definitely not. The problem is that some multiplatform developers don't put the necessary work into the PC port.

No, not even close.

Fair enough; I stand corrected. I guess knowing tons of people exploit and cheat in games like The Division and Call of Duty, I just assumed this kind of thing was business as usual on the platform.

Edit - The Division, not Destiny.

Definitely not. The problem is that some multiplatform developers don't put the necessary work into the PC port.

Getting Online Multiplayer to properly work is a massive task, getting it to be completely cheat-free is an even crazier task that some companys might not have the knowledge base for and / or can't afford to do it.

Using 'lazy devs' as an excuse for pretty much everything is just a load of shit.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've experienced the players that slide around all the time a few times (twice in co-op, once in pvp). I've never witnessed another player dropping an item but, if I did, I wouldn't pick it up anyway for this reason (plus I generally only trade with people that I personally know...this goes for pretty much all online games).

Getting Online Multiplayer to properly work is a massive task, getting it to be completely cheat-free is an even crazier task that some companys might not have the knowledge base for and / or can't afford to do it.

Using 'lazy devs' as an excuse for pretty much everything is just a load of shit.
and then there's Ubisoft :p

I don't know it seems like any really big PC game has a cheating problem. BF4, Call of Duty, Even WOW has cheaters. If its on PC you will have cheaters. On consoles you have exploiters they are not editing code, on PC you have people editing code.

Nev

Banned
Doesn't pretty much every competitive PC game have a massive cheating problem?!

Isn't pretty much every serious online competitive game exclusively on PC? Yes indeed. Must be hard to keep the biggest and most played online games currently in the market up and running when it's so easy to cheat!

I guess knowing tons of people exploit and cheat in games like Destiny and Call of Duty, I just assumed this kind of thing was business as usual on the platform.

Destiny isn't on PC and Call of Duty is joke-tier in terms of competitive, especially on PC where its online might as well not even exist because PC players know better than playing that overpriced, automated, DLC-filled crap when there are actual shooters to play on the platform, starting with the 1# competitive online shooter ever CS:GO.

Amadeusz

Neo Member
I must be the luckiest guy alive, but I have about 55 sunlight medals, 40-ish pale tongues and 30 Vertebra Shackles.

I've encountered one invisible guy (may be bug) and TWO blatant cheaters.

I've spent 3-4 evenings in "fight clubs" in Irithyll and didn't encounter anyone fishy out there a single time.

Anyone saying that cheating is a massive problem in DS3 is probably reeeeally dramatic.

TL;DR 100h played, encountered cheaters twice. Probably just shitty players who couldnt finish the game without boosting their stats. It was me who invaded btw.

Persona7

Banned
I ran into two cheaters so far in 45 hours of PVP on PC. They were both in the same game and I invaded. That sucks about the random bans though, hopefully it is fixed quickly and they get everyone unbanned.

SoulUnison

Banned
Have played about 70ish hours including lots of pvp, seen 1 cheater I think, article title is definite hyperbole,, the issue he's actually talking about seems kinda shitty though.

Well that solves that, then!
These dozens to hundreds of reports coming in about this specific problem are all invalidated because "BathSalts" hasn't encountered the problem personally.

MUnited83

For you.
I must be the luckiest guy alive, but I have about 55 sunlight medals, 40-ish pale tongues and 30 Vertebra Shackles.

I've spent 3-4 evenings in "fight clubs" in Irithyll and didn't encounter anyone fishy out there a single time.

Anyone saying that cheating is a massive problem in DS3 is probably reeeeally dramatic.

TL;DR 100h played, encountered cheaters twice. Probably just shitty players who couldnt finish the game without boosting their stats. It was me who invaded btw.

120 hours here being full on co-op and pvp since the beggining. Not a single cheater yet. It's not a "massive" issue in the slightest.

These dozens to hundreds of reports coming in about this specific problem are all invalidated because "BathSalts" hasn't encountered the problem personally.
"dozens to hundreds of reports" rofl

Gattsu25

Banned

Yeah, I agree with you. Outside of lag spikes (causing people to not animate correctly), I haven't seen anything and haven't heard much in the way of confirmed cases either.

GavinGT

Banned
"Massive" doesn't necessarily mean "pervasive". I'd call it a massive problem if its banning people who aren't cheating.

bathsalts

The fucking article is an anecdote about his friend, with a hyperbole title, I never said anything about there being no problem, get lost.

I've encountered a single freaking cheater in more than 40h online. But even if it were 10 it would be absolutely nothing. Banning normal players is bad but the article is garbage.

This sounds like hyperbole. 40 hours logged, and not a single cheater. Though sometimeso I get people with bad connections, so there's a bit of lag, and sometimes the hits don't register. This is something I feel people may mistake for cheating.

Nev

Banned
70+ hours logged in and played online since day one - zero cheaters I've encountered. I'd rather have a stable 60fps at 1080p than whatever consoles are offering.

A paywall. That's literally what they're offering vs. the PC version (not counting the massive downgrade in framerate). I've found cheaters in plenty of console games and lag switching is easy and viable. It's not like these P2P services provide any more security than Steam does but hey, stay away from PC! It's full of cheaters!

SoulUnison

Banned
"dozens to hundreds of reports" rofl

Have you not seen the people talking about this exact issues here on GAF, on Reddit, in the Steam Community threads, on various gaming news sites...

I can count a couple dozen different people claiming they've been hit by this issue JUST in the Dark Souls III OT and OT2, on here, so... Yeah. "Dozens to hundreds of reports" by a pretty conservative estimate. On top of all of those you have to imagine there's a majority of people who have had it happen to them but aren't the type to go running to the internet with their story, either.

I guess it's easy to bleat out a dismissive laugh, but harder to be informed.

I don't know it seems like any really big PC game has a cheating problem. BF4, Call of Duty, Even WOW has cheaters. If its on PC you will have cheaters. On consoles you have exploiters they are not editing code, on PC you have people editing code.

Maybe on 8th gen consoles you don't have a hacking problem yet, but the X360 had a massive hacker problem via JTAG modded consoles.

And I mean HACKS. Not exploits.

epmode

I didn't mean to imply "lazy devs". Minimizing cheating in a PC game always takes more work than an equivalent console version. More work = more money so it's usually a publisher decision.

Whatever the case, it really sucks when companies don't account for PC being an open platform. Fuck Ubi for trusting the client in The Division.

Ferrio

Banned
I've encountered 0 cheaters far as I know, but I sure as hell have encountered tons of sliding characters that might as well be cheating. Probably should be more concerned about that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've experienced the players that slide around all the time a few times (twice in co-op, once in pvp). I've never witnessed another player dropping an item but, if I did, I wouldn't pick it up anyway for this reason (plus I generally only trade with people that I personally know...this goes for pretty much all online games).

That is lag, not cheating.

Sometimes when you do coop, the enemies don't move for you and don't attack you. This lets you just go to town on them. What the other players see is a player not moving much, and a boss moving normally and getting the shit beaten out of them by an invisible force.

Did anyone actually READ the linked article in the OP? lol the "cheating problem" isn't about people cheating, it's about people NOT cheating yet still getting hit by the game's anti-cheat measures and getting softbanned for no reason.

Vorheez

I didn't read the article, which I blame on the misleading title. It implies the opposite of what the article apparently says, and I dont have time to read entire articles on stuff.

So it's not my fault is what I'm saying

MUnited83

For you.
Have you not seen the people talking about this exact issues here on GAF, on Reddit, in the Steam Community threads, on various gaming news sites...

I can count a couple dozen different people claiming they've been hit by this issue JUST in the Dark Souls III OT and OT2, on here, so... Yeah. "Dozens to hundreds of reports" by a pretty conservative estimate. On top of all of those you have to imagine there's a majority of people who have had it happen to them but aren't the type to go running to the internet with their story, either.

I guess it's easy to bleat out a dismissive laugh, but harder to be informed.
Seems easy to make stuff up but what you're telling me. Kindly me point me to all of the "reports" of people complaining about "non stop massive cheating".

MUnited83

For you.
Did anyone actually READ the linked article in the OP? lol the "cheating problem" isn't about people cheating, it's about people NOT cheating yet still getting hit by the game's anti-cheat measures and getting softbanned for no reason.

That sounds like a "massive bug problem", not a "massive cheating problem".

SoulUnison

Banned
Seems easy to make stuff up but what you're telling me. Kindly me point me to all of the "reports" of people complaining about "non stop massive cheating".

I just told you you could read through the Dark Souls III OTs, and there's also a convenient link in the OP of this thread to a Steam Community thread on this specific issue that's 112 pages long, as of my typing this.

It's not my job to be your personal information aggregate, and your ignorance of something or unwillingness to be informed about it isn't the same as it not existing.

Namco-Bandai also officially recognizes it's something that's happening.

LC1y9mh.png

Though they're off the mark claiming that the "false flags" don't actually serve to restrict players.

Here's two articles written on this exact issue:

KitGuru
Kotaku

And, additionally, there's Namco-Bandai's official stance on how actually-hacking players have been causing bans to occur on the games of "innocent" players by dropping hacked items into their games after invading, or through other methods which I won't speak of as the information is literally dangerous in the sense that I don't want anyone to know how to do it and give them the chance to try it.

“Back up a clean save to either USB or cloud storage. If you encounter a hacker that corrupts your character delete the local save and download the clean backup save data. The next time you connect to the server it should clear your account of any flags that deemed you as cheating because your backed up save file from before does not have the item from the invader that caused the problem.”

Hopefully being informed will override being condescending for you.

Zomba13

Well when you have hyperbolic and misleading article titles then you reap what you sow.

Title in that case should be "Dark Souls 3 has massive anti-cheat problem".

Top Bottom