• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Google Is Planning A Game Platform That Could Take On Xbox And PlayStation.

Housh

I think everyone is getting into streaming services and Apple has been working on it for a while now. That's why they probably blocked STEAM streaming over iOS devices.

I'm a sucker for a new idea or underdog - I miss OnLive - but even I don't have faith in Google for this. Gaming, done well, takes extreme dedication. That's not their thing.

Osukaa

Cant say i'm to excited but I am curious to see what they are planning. If its allowed a big budget I can see it becoming very interesting. The thing that matters most would be the games though and Sony, Nintendo, and Hopefully MS going forward have good exclusives that can be a system seller. Unless Google has some crazy groundbreaking must have gimmick I don't know how it would play out. I was around when Sony first announced the PS and I remember alot of people thought it would bomb and die out against Nintendo and Sega but look where we're at now.

For my own greedy and selfish ways... I sorta don't want to have to buy another system lol

Edit*I sorta didn't touch on the streaming aspect of it. But going forward with the next consoles and with Xbox streaming service being a pretty good deal I think all systems might beef up their offerings on the next ones so if Google is a streaming device I still think it would have some stiff competition with the other systems.. what do you guys think?

Last edited:

HarryKS

Do they mean streaming as in rendering the game from a farm and videocasting to your screen or as in a box that renders natively and has great streaming functions?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Google's previous track record, politics, and general attitude has be very apprehensive about this. I can see a myriad of ways that this would backfire tremendously or become a very... closed box depending on how they manage the system.

Also, streaming is the day gaming dies for me. I have no interest in renting games or being forcibly connected to an online source.

Lort

Banned
Thats like calling Linux a cheap copy of MacOS!

Google could use their money to win. I think you’re falsely attributing what you view as success with technical chops. Don’t talk shit about Google man, they have a whole profile on you.

Android was made after ios and was a direct bad copy. It does some things ios dosent ... now but it was and will always be a copy. The first google prototypes were copies of blackberrys until iphone came out.

Google hangouts and all the other failures had a lot of money behind them and technically capable. .. still failed. Then as everyone pointed out google tends to dump them.

I think this might generate a bit of traction but I see it cannibalizing the PC and mobile markets far more than the console markets. Even if the price is good, videogame consoles still have strong brand-loyalty attached to them, not to mention the very long legs due to the secondhand market.

Not saying it will fall flat. If Google is pushing it, then it will find some success. But again, I don't really see this as a threat to Sony or Nintendo. It's more a threat to Microsoft, Steam, and iOS.

The only thing that will make me think otherwise is if they offer physical media. I doubt they will.

I think this is more about collecting information on human behavior and
how humans interact with given terrain/building structure.
I don't think it's really about profit.
Google can build AI that can achieve objectives in physical settings by
making it mimic human behavior inside video games.

Is google making AI for war robots ?

Last edited:

Smasher89

There might actually be a window for this having some real success, while the main 3 platforms now closes down more and adds a lot of choices going against consumers, a console with for example free online and, lots of indies and a few triple AAA titles I could see doing well even in the market like it is right now.

Fbh

At this point we have heard about several big companies supposedly making systems to compete with Xbox and Sony and nothing has come of it.

And Google seems to be all about collecting data. If that's their goal it sort of makes more sense to release their streaming service on everything (as most of their products) instead of a specific box

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It seems like the future of gaming is hardware-agnostic.
I think it's the reason why we're seeing Microsoft move in the direction it has.

That explains all the MS games on the PS4 and Switch.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Anything that isn't receiving the latest AAA games will probably fail(Nintendo being a bit of an exception here). And I don't see most game publishers going beyond Xbox/PlayStation/PC(Windows).

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Google getting into gaming with a console probably means massive spying and awful DRM. I'm not interested at all.

mark1955

Neo Member
I think everyone is getting into streaming services and Apple has been working on it for a while now. That's why they probably blocked STEAM streaming over iOS devices.

And this is the difference between Google and Apple.

Apple doesn't allow their users to touch the competition while Google embraces is. I can download emulators, the steam link, etc on my Android TV box right from the Google PlayStore.

All while Google is on the verge of launching a gaming system of their own. Apple thinks of and blocks anyone from coming within 1000 feet of it.

mark1955

Neo Member
The amount of comments on hear trashing the idea because of data collection while you use your windows 10 PCs and Xboxes is hilarious.

Google at least allows me to turn off the collection and/or Purge the data on my Android/Googe account.

You can't even run a consumer version of Windows 10 without it collecting serious data without anyway to opt out.

Lol.

Lort

Banned
The amount of comments on hear trashing the idea because of data collection while you use your windows 10 PCs and Xboxes is hilarious.

Google at least allows me to turn off the collection and/or Purge the data on my Android/Googe account.

You can't even run a consumer version of Windows 10 without it collecting serious data without anyway to opt out.

Lol.
What are you talking about Microsoft even teases Google about how much better they are at respecting your privacy. Microsoft protects Military and Government data and has datacenters outside of US control .. with Google you are the product.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nyp...ft-and-apple-dont-need-to-sell-your-data/amp/

Last edited:

mark1955

Neo Member
Google failed at netbooks, tablets, document editing, chat, “facebook” .. prepare for another failure. Android is a cheap copy of ios gaming .. streamed games has been a thing for ages ( and sucks for most games). There is nothing of substance here.

Welcome to the steam box 2.0.

And Google was extremely successful with Search, Maps, Email, Chrome browser, Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Photos, Android, Chromebooks, Google Assistant/Google Home, Chromecast, AI in general, Waymo (soon).

Just because a third of a company's projects fail doesn't mean they fail the other 2/3rds.

Regardless it's weird to have less respect for a company that's burning cash to improve/attempt random industries. You think it's better to do nothing and just sit on cash like Apple? Apple defines greed. The amount ofoney they are stockpiling is getting downright disgusting.

mark1955

Neo Member
What are you talking about Microsoft even teases Google about how much better they are at respecting your privacy. Microsoft protects Military and Government data and has datacenters outside of US control .. with Google you are the product.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nyp...ft-and-apple-dont-need-to-sell-your-data/amp/

Uh Microsoft is full of shit. Ever heard of Bing? Bing ads is a thing. Microsoft does targeted advertising just like Google does. Even Apple does as you can see mentioned in that article.

One thing that article has wrong is Google does not target ads based on email content like it says it does. They used to but 100% committed to no longer doing it. And yes I'm talking about free Gmail.

And Google was extremely successful with Search, Maps, Email, Chrome browser, Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Photos, Android, Chromebooks, Google Assistant/Google Home, Chromecast, AI in general, Waymo (soon).

Just because a third of a company's projects fail doesn't mean they fail the other 2/3rds.

Regardless it's weird to have less respect for a company that's burning cash to improve/attempt random industries. You think it's better to do nothing and just sit on cash like Apple? Apple defines greed. The amount ofoney they are stockpiling is getting downright disgusting.

Because collecting money as a company is bad? Google is charitable? I’m really out of touch with this new concept of what capitalism is. Do you really think Alphabet is less of a capitalist than Apple? Serious question. The psychology behind becoming a fan of a company is really interesting to me. These large publicly traded companies really aren’t all that different from one another...

Last edited:

mark1955

Neo Member
Because collecting money as a company is bad? Google is charitable? I’m really out of touch with this new concept of what capitalism is. Do you really think Alpahbet is less of a capitalist than Apple? Serious question. The psychology behind becoming a fan of a company is really interesting to me. These large publicly traded companies really aren’t all that different from one another...

Apple has almost 300 billion in cash. At a certain point it starts to be ridiculous amd it's time to start using it. I do agree these companies are all the same in most ways but I stopped liking Apple the second they started crushing smaller companies with import bans using invalid us patents (HTC). People think Sony is being bad with cross play. Imagine Apple being a leader in the gaming industry.

Lort

Banned
Uh Microsoft is full of shit. Ever heard of Bing? Bing ads is a thing. Microsoft does targeted advertising just like Google does. Even Apple does as you can see mentioned in that article.

One thing that article has wrong is Google does not target ads based on email content like it says it does. They used to but 100% committed to no longer doing it. And yes I'm talking about free Gmail.
Google is do no evil only after you had your ass sued ..
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/mar...oogle-stops-scanning-gmail-content-218304/amp

Ar¢tos

I'm more surprised that Nvidia hasnt tried to compete with Sony/MS, they have everything they need to create a console and they would hurt AMD a bit more in the process.

Cato

Banned
I used to work for google for many years. These kind of "branch out" projects happen all the time. Unfortunately, the way promotions is handled at Google is virtually
always based on launches. You launch a new service/feature/whatever and this is currency for getting promo.
Of course, upper management tries to downplay this and push for "improvements and maintenance is just as important" but the reality is that when push comes to shove,
if promo candidate A fixed a broken service and candidate B launcehd something, B will always get the promo by the promo commitee.
B moved the needle as they say.
Anyway, this does mean that once something is launched and all the promos are harvested, chances are high that all good engineers will transfer somewhere else to work on the next promo.

I would not bet on this project. I could be wrong but as it is not a core service, I guesstimate that once things are launched, and all promos have been wrestled from the launch
then all the good engineers will leave the project and join other projects, since there are no more promos to be had in this project.

Seen it so many times, we used to sarcastically call it "launch, promo, abandon" internally in my team.

EDIT: remember last time something that was not core, i.e search, maps, youtube, ads, cloud, was launched with big trumpets and soon afterwards seemed to fizzle out and die? Yeah that happens. Read above for why.
I myself really still wait for END-TO-END to become un-abandoned since a easy to configure and easy to use secure email would be awesome. But ...

Last edited:
Google failed at netbooks, tablets, document editing, chat, “facebook” .. prepare for another failure. Android is a cheap copy of ios gaming .. streamed games has been a thing for ages ( and sucks for most games). There is nothing of substance here.

Welcome to the steam box 2.0.

I ONLY buy Android phones and am anti-Apple, but this is all 100% true. They're actually a pretty useless company, especially their software.

entremet

It really depends how much effort Google places on this. They can be rather indecisive with their commitments.

mark1955

Neo Member

The lawsuit was for paying student accounts which they should have been threatened for and I totally agree with.

What the article has wrong and what you probably incorrecrly thought is that Google scans their free email for profit/ad targetting. Which you can see by this article they no longer do.

Gmail uses are 100% getting a free service without being the product. You certainly can't say this about other Google producta but you can now about Gmail which is great depending how much you hate targettes ads.

I for one don't give a shit. Ads are ads. All that matters is my individual personal information is never sold to anyone and that's all that matters IMO.

Lort

Banned
The lawsuit was for paying student accounts which they should have been threatened for and I totally agree with.

What the article has wrong and what you probably incorrecrly thought is that Google scans their free email for profit/ad targetting. Which you can see by this article they no longer do.

Gmail uses are 100% getting a free service without being the product. You certainly can't say this about other Google producta but you can now about Gmail which is great depending how much you hate targettes ads.

I for one don't give a shit. Ads are ads. All that matters is my individual personal information is never sold to anyone and that's all that matters IMO.

This is what it says about standard email accounts...
“In December 2016, Google said it would scan emails in standard Gmail accounts only after the messages arrived in users’ inboxes, again in response to legal action.”

joe_zazen

I think this is more about collecting information on human behavior and
how humans interact with given terrain/building structure.
I don't think it's really about profit.
Google can build AI that can achieve objectives in physical settings by
making it mimic human behavior inside video games.

Is google making AI for war robots ?

They are a contractor for DoD working on AI for automated weapon systems, so yes.

Could be interesting, but do we really need another third party machine? Will it allow for physical games, be digital only or streaming which imo could make or break it just from that aspect.

Unless it is significantly more powerful or have something really unique about it, I doubt it’s going to really hurt Microsoft or Sony in the long term.

Also, with the unfortunate rarity of true exclusives this and most likely next generation, what will really set it apart from the competition?

Only way I'd touch a google device ever again is if they bought Nintendo. And then it would only be the devices I already own today. They are lucky they are still the best search engine and own YouTube or I'd be done with them.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Yeah it's weird that if a game is now

1. Cinematic
2. An exclusive
3. 3rd person
4. Single Player

It equals it being all the same. Sorta makes it wonder what happens if you removed the exclusivity from those 4 qualities I listed, if most of those people would sing a different tune.
Internet will continue to improve as well. For people living far outside of metropolitan areas in the US it will likely remain an issue for quite a while though, so there’s that. The US is just too damn big honestly.

That said, when we go all streaming is the day I stop gaming basically.

Far outside metro areas? I live 15 mins from downtown Dallas. I can look out my kitchen window and gaze upon the downtown skyscrapers with ease.

If I don't want satellite internet, my ONLY other option is line of sight Internet through a local isp. 5 mbps down max.
2-3 mbps 90% of the time.

Robust Internet has a loooooong way to go.

Far outside metro areas? I live 15 mins from downtown Dallas. I can look out my kitchen window and gaze upon the downtown skyscrapers with ease.

If I don't want satellite internet, my ONLY other option is line of sight Internet through a local isp. 5 mbps down max.
2-3 mbps 90% of the time.

Robust Internet has a loooooong way to go.

Oh wow, that's horrible. I would have never guessed it would be that way just 15 minutes outside of Dallas.

Cato

Banned
Could be interesting, but do we really need another third party machine? Will it allow for physical games, be digital only or streaming which imo could make or break it just from that aspect.

Unless it is significantly more powerful or have something really unique about it, I doubt it’s going to really hurt Microsoft or Sony in the long term.

Also, with the unfortunate rarity of true exclusives this and most likely next generation, what will really set it apart from the competition?

You over-estimate what the new "console" will be.

I am willing to bet real money that the "console" will be a Android device that you hook up to your TV and you play all the current Android games that are already in the PlayStore.
Possibly with a new controller to remap "swipes and taps on the screen" with buttons, or a touchpad (more likely).

I.e. you will be able to play "Candy Crush" on your TV. With a controller that operates almost exactly like the screen on an android phone.

I am willing to bet real money. Please contact me if you want to bet against me.

Last edited:

mark1955

Neo Member

I am willing to bet real money that the "console" will be a Android device that you hook up to your TV and you play all the current Android games that are already in the PlayStore.
Possibly with a new controller to remap "swipes and taps on the screen" with buttons, or a touchpad (more likely).

I.e. you will be able to play "Candy Crush" on your TV. With a controller that operates almost exactly like the screen on an android phone.

I am willing to bet real money. Please contact me if you want to bet against me.

It was already reported they are streaming high profile games. It's not going to play Android games. If it does than it will be a secondary functionality and it wouldn't be Android mobile games. It would be Android TV games.

Hmmm...I thought I heard it will play mostly high profile or big budget games similar to Xbox or ps4. If it will only play android games like candy crush, then I don’t think it will be considered a direct competitor to Microsoft and Sony’s offerings since they deal with more AAA games, indies and third party games. If Nintendo isn’t really considered direct competition with some of the exact same games that can be found on Xbox and ps4, I doubt a device that primarily plays or streams glorified mobile games would be.

If what you say is factual though, I don’t think Microsoft, Sony or even Nintendo has much to worry to worry about, especially if it is streaming only. Not sure if there is a market for streaming mobile games, but you never know.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Hmmm...I thought I heard it will play mostly high profile or big budget games similar to Xbox or ps4. If it will only play android games like candy crush, then I don’t think it will be considered a direct competitor to Microsoft and Sony’s offerings since they deal with more AAA games, indies and third party games. If Nintendo isn’t really considered direct competition with some of the exact same games that can be found on Xbox and ps4, I doubt a device that primarily plays or streams glorified mobile games would be.

If what you say is factual though, I don’t think Microsoft, Sony or even Nintendo has much to worry to worry about, especially if it is streaming only. Not sure if there is a market for streaming mobile games, but you never know.

What I said is, as I said, just a guess and not factual facts.
I am still ready to take real money bets (if such are legal in your jurisdicion) on whether this will be a success or just a "play the android games you already love on your tv".

No,, I am certain Sony, MS, Nintendo can continue sleeping well at nights.

Top Bottom